Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

sebmojo posted:

Its alright these days.

alright

for me to poop on

(it's poo poo)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Final Fantasy 8 is probably the best final fantasy game ever made, and all final fantasy games suck.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Tiberian Sun was the best C&C game

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
The original Need for Speed on the 3DO from 1994 was easily the best of the series

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

The Dennis System posted:

I heard that it's hard know what skills to upgrade in wasteland 2 and that if you don't upgrade your skill trees correctly you can be completely hosed and won't be able to advance when you get like twenty hours in. I don't know if that's actually true though. (And maybe hardcore gamers like that, because they don't like games that hold your hand. I would find that infuriating though.)

The number of skill points you gain per level is directly tied to your attribute scores, which are decided at the beginning of the game.

It's a system entirely dedicated to loving you over and to have actual fun playing it you really need to be reading a guide.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Blockade posted:

Tiberian Sun was the best C&C game

Blasphemy. Kari Wuhrer's tanktop (Red Alert 2) will always be the best.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

limp_cheese posted:

Blasphemy. Kari Wuhrer's tanktop (Red Alert 2) will always be the best.

Yeah, Red Alert 2 with Yuri's revenge (fixed the rush openings a lot) was pretty much a perfect game.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

There's a Wasteland 3 already in the works and it's gonna be great

Oh boy I hope it's as good as fallout 3.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
The best way to play GTA V is to keep to yourself, obey traffic laws, and enjoy leisure activities such as tennis. You'll still get into gunfights because it takes place in America, and you'll be more into them because you were just trying to get to the movie theater and now you're pissed at this rear end in a top hat who wants to fight you.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Kullik posted:

Not massively unpopular in the wider gaming community but maybe in the MMO community.

FFXIV is really not very fun, it's WoW but with the boring bits stretched out, millions of really boring fetch quests added and anime cat girls.

I'm told the expansions are different but the questing and progression in that game were so painful to me, the areas were absolutely beautiful but i never stayed in one long enough to get a chance to appreciate it because im constantly teleporting around like a madman bringing letters from smug douchebag A to large blue doofus B to anime catgirl C then occasionally fighting an instanced boss or running a dungeon.

Are you talking about launch FFXIV or the reboot from a few years back? I haven't played either but word on the street is that the "Realm Reborn" was a drastic improvement.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

TheScott2K posted:

The best way to play GTA V is to keep to yourself, obey traffic laws, and enjoy leisure activities such as tennis. You'll still get into gunfights because it takes place in America, and you'll be more into them because you were just trying to get to the movie theater and now you're pissed at this rear end in a top hat who wants to fight you.

Oddly enough I can see where you're coming from here. I think.

Playing GTA like an unaccountable psychopath with infinite lives sets your expectation of "normal" to riding on the backs of trains while shooting bazookas and miniguns into fields of cop cars to pad out the number of explosions caused by the the fiery helicopters raining down into them. And anything less than that is kind of considered just a dreary interim between explode-a-thons.
Playing GTA like your character is a normal person will make even the smallest gunfights or traffic accidents feel like your whole life has changed.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
RPing in GTAV is actually pretty loving hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYmcZUPDWmQ

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
When FFIV was released my Korean ex was super pumped for it and wanted to buy a pc to run it. I tried to dissuade her given the WTF system requirements (would have taken like a 1500 dollar laptop to handle it well, and she didn't really have the money), and the laughably bad visuals given those ridiculous system requirements.

And then it turned out to be poo poo.

We broke up for good shortly after.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

a bone to pick posted:

RPing in GTAV is actually pretty loving hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYmcZUPDWmQ

I have to admit one of the funniest things I've had happen in GTA Online was sitting in my MC and turning on the TV that shows other players, and finding some guy dressed like a mustachioed villain from a silent movie just creeping around alleys stabbing NPCs in the back with a cavalry dagger before creeping around in alleyways again. I watched him do this for 10 straight minutes, unaware anyone was spectating, then called Merryweather on him and watched the mercs show up and gun him down.

The whole thing was hilarious, I literally never left my character's living room.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TheScott2K posted:

I loving hate how they got rid of the police, fire and ambulance side jobs from V. I would seriously spent hours playing a fire fighter in GTA Online, doubly so if you always got called to fires started by players.

PS: Anyone who hasn't played GTA Online in like a year, there's WAY more to do in the over world now. I highly recommend anyone who hasn't played in a while give it another go.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Blazing Ownager posted:

I loving hate how they got rid of the police, fire and ambulance side jobs from V. I would seriously spent hours playing a fire fighter in GTA Online, doubly so if you always got called to fires started by players.

PS: Anyone who hasn't played GTA Online in like a year, there's WAY more to do in the over world now. I highly recommend anyone who hasn't played in a while give it another go.

Like what? I might give it a go. It's either that or PUBG, because HOTS is not doing for me anymore, I play it for hours and somehow don't feel satisfied like with other video games

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

fruit on the bottom posted:

Are you talking about launch FFXIV or the reboot from a few years back? I haven't played either but word on the street is that the "Realm Reborn" was a drastic improvement.

ARR is better than Vanilla in the same sense that having cancer in only one of your testicles is better than having it in both.

It basically a WoW theme-park that pulls references from all the older games. You dance in place and cycle the same 4-5 commands on your toolbar over and over. This would be incredibly easy except the people who signed up just wanna text-gently caress as cat-boys all day and have an average IQ of around 85. This gives the easily-dispelled illusion that the game is deep and nuanced, but it's actually neither unless you gauge the depth of your games by how accurately it lets you pseudo-gently caress another player by wearing revealing armor and emoting all over each other.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Hmmm adding FFXIV to my list of possible new games

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Hmmm adding FFXIV to my list of possible new games

Oh I hope you do. Text-loving as cat-boys is incredibly fun.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

my supposedly unpopular video game opinion is that horizon zero dawn sucks. it suuuucks

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

romanowski posted:

my supposedly unpopular video game opinion is that horizon zero dawn sucks. it suuuucks

I enver played it but it looks exactly like every other loving game that comes out these days, so it probably does suck

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

fruit on the bottom posted:

ARR, i never played launch.
I gave it the first month sub you get for buying the base game, i got to level 25-30 and i spent more time running between quest givers handing them notes and packages and sacks than i did fighting bad guys or anything actually fun.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

ARR is a well made streamlined MMO experience that only gets interesting when you get to Garuda imo, which is freakin level 40

Its definately as boring as you say, since the good stuff is behind a hgue wall of generic MMO bullshit, but thats also true of all MMOs

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

Meme Emulator posted:

ARR is a well made streamlined MMO experience that only gets interesting when you get to Garuda imo, which is freakin level 40

Its definately as boring as you say, since the good stuff is behind a hgue wall of generic MMO bullshit, but thats also true of all MMOs

Sorry but at least the generic MMO bullshit in most games is collecting 10 bear asses and not teleporting around the world talking to people who never have anything interesting to say

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone caught defending MMOs should be forced to play only MMOs for 1 month

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Here's an unpopular opinion.

WoW is an MMO and therefore bad, but it would be legitimately awesome and I would play the heck out of it if it was an offline single player game you could mod Elder Scrolls style, changing whatever you wanted.
In other words, it would be fun only if you could massively increase things like xp gain and item drop rates so you didn't have to grind.

I guess what I'm saying is that WoW would be a fun sandbox fun to freely explore for a while, farting around with the game's enemies and spells, abilities, etc, but not to actually play.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 21, 2017

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Kromlech posted:

Anyone caught defending MMOs should be forced to play only MMOs for 1 month

This doesn't seem much like a punishment? It's like saying you caught someone using heroin so they have to use a bunch of heroin for the next month. They were going to do that anyways.

The "smoke the whole carton" punishment doesn't work very well with someone who is already a heavy user.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

limp_cheese posted:

This doesn't seem much like a punishment? It's like saying you caught someone using heroin so they have to use a bunch of heroin for the next month. They were going to do that anyways.

The "smoke the whole carton" punishment doesn't work very well with someone who is already a heavy user.

Then they should have to play on a laggy server with nothing but South Koreans.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

GreatGreen posted:

WoW is an MMO and therefore bad, but it would be legitimately awesome and I would play the heck out of it if it was an offline single player game you could mod Elder Scrolls style, changing whatever you wanted.
In other words, it would be fun only if you could massively increase things like xp gain and item drop rates so you didn't have to grind.

I guess what I'm saying is that WoW would be a fun sandbox fun to freely explore for a while, farting around with the game's enemies and spells, abilities, etc, but not to actually play.

This is literally what should have happened with SW:TOR. It's essentially 8 iterations of KotOR with a sub par endgame, removing the social aspect would have improved the whole experience immensely.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

phasmid posted:

Then they should have to play on a laggy server with nothing but South Koreans.

I alpha'ed RO. Challenge accepted.

polio king
Jun 19, 2004

a new study bible! posted:

Dating sims are better than Halo

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Antique oral surgery performed by an 1870's barber is better than halo.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

sorry you didn't have friends to lan Halo:ce

nerds

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Wanting to solo play WoW is certainly one i've never heard before.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

awakening is the only good zelda game

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I can't play MMOs because the combat in all of them is so stiff and unengaging, never found it fun to stay in one place while I click numbers in a certain sequence ad nauseum until something dies.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Torquemada posted:

This is literally what should have happened with SW:TOR. It's essentially 8 iterations of KotOR with a sub par endgame, removing the social aspect would have improved the whole experience immensely.

I enjoyed SWTOR for what it was but goddamn the expansions suck. They have an entire galaxy who's single most important defining trait is "a very obvious heavy handed split between good and evil" and they spend all the expansion time blurring that line to some stupid "the truth is in the middle" bullshit. Let me play a loving Sith, assholes. It's goddamn Star Wars.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Halo is the Warhammer 40k of video games.

By which I mean the franchise is aimed at males with a mental and emotional age of 13 years.

Your average steam shovelware asset flipping title from Eastern Europe or Russia has a better written story than Halo, or at least one comparable.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 22, 2017

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

GreatGreen posted:

theres tons of private servers labeled 'funservers' that give you cheats or have custom content and poo poo. like, far outnumbering the ones copying the original game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

DancingShade posted:

Halo is the Warhammer 40k of video games.

By which I mean the franchise is aimed at males with a mental and emotional age of 13 years.

Your average steam shovelware asset flipping title from Eastern Europe or Russia has a better written story than Halo, or at least one comparable.

i think halo 1 had a good story because its simple and really only exists to set up the game world you are playing in. theres a lot to expand on but not much that is expanded on. i mean its not great or brilliant or anything but i think it fits the scope of the game perfectly and many games have issues with either having too much or too little. halo 2 is where it goes off the rails with its ham handed iraq war allegories n poo poo and it just goes downhill from there