Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Her kink is not okay and I'm with the boyfriend here.

Learning the meaningless social cues the bourgeoisie takes pride in is a waste of time and effort. :colbert:

I agree, but on the other hand you don't have to be extremely hostile with that woman and her friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Bubblyblubber posted:

"Inheritance" is a good keyword too

I [20M] have a small fortune but my girlfriend [24F] of almost 2 years doesn't allow me to spend it. Relationships

EDIT: HUUUUR I'M A MORAN DUUUUUUUUUR

I'm glad he didn't realize it was his to spend over her objections because he wanted to do so in the stupidest possible way. 200k out of 120milly on a dumb car, sure who cares. Out of 1.2? Get a nice Audi or w/e to drive and set yourself up to retire comfortably at 55.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Milotic posted:

You keep your goddamn mouth shut woman, don't ruin this for him.

I feel like my [38F] brother [34M] is being taken advantage of by his girlfriend [27F]

Man changes when he gets a woman to look after him and spur him on to be a better person. News at 11.

...how is she taking advantage of him? Is she forcing him to deny the inner slob in him, forever tamping down the filthy animal he truly wants to be?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I still sincerely want to know what relevance "never owned a microwave" has to weirdo work stalker story. I kept expecting it to come up in the story like chekov's appliance.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Milotic posted:

You keep your goddamn mouth shut woman, don't ruin this for him.

I feel like my [38F] brother [34M] is being taken advantage of by his girlfriend [27F]

Man changes when he gets a woman to look after him and spur him on to be a better person. News at 11.

I refuse to believe this isn't a troll

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Bubblyblubber posted:

...how is she taking advantage of him? Is she forcing him to deny the inner slob in him, forever tamping down the filthy animal he truly wants to be?
Brother different because of girl, this is bad because reasons

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Where do people keep finding all these 'poly friends', I'm in a major city with a wide circle of friends in their 20s and 30s and I have never met a poly person (I assume if any of my friends were poly I'd know because apparently they never shut up about it)

People that are into the same things tend to gravitate together is my thought, or perhaps some of them ARE poly but don't make it a big deal because they know the rest of your circle would not accept or whatever.

I have a lot of friends and live in one of the largest cities in the US and I have met 1 person that is poly, but that's possibly because she's the only person that brought it up/admitted it.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I still sincerely want to know what relevance "never owned a microwave" has to weirdo work stalker story. I kept expecting it to come up in the story like chekov's appliance.

I keep thinking that it must have been a typo but I can't think of anything like microwave that fits there.

Alternative theory, she had to show him how to use the one in the break room once which started the whole infatuation.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Brother no longer sits in piles of filth around the house all day in his dirty anime shirts screaming at teenagers on xbox live, won't someone please help him?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

help reddit my pet 40-year-old virgin finally has a woman to pay attention to who isn't me

La Brea Carpet posted:

I keep thinking that it must have been a typo but I can't think of anything like microwave that fits there.

Alternative theory, she had to show him how to use the one in the break room once which started the whole infatuation.

to think all those printer-carrying goons had the wrong appliance all along...

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bubblyblubber posted:

I [20M] have a small fortune but my girlfriend [24F] of almost 2 years doesn't allow me to spend it. Relationships

Its the CDs he thought were great investments that bug me more than anything.

A little mad Reddit helped this guy retire at 40 instead of crashing and burning.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

help reddit my pet 40-year-old virgin finally has a woman to pay attention to who isn't me

to think all those printer-carrying goons had the wrong appliance all along...

Bingo

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

welcome to hell posted:

The steak inhaler post reminded me of this one.

[25 F] My Fiance Does Not Respect My Wishes/Lifestyle

"I'm really into etiquette" what the gently caress

This is a re-post but still loving hilarious. "My hobby, and the thing that saved my life, is etiquette" will never not be funny

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Barudak posted:

A little mad Reddit helped this guy retire at 40 instead of crashing and burning.

i am glad that he was talked out of a foolish purchase and given sound financial advice, friend. i think this thread is making you too angry, take your :unsmith: s where you can find them

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Clark Nova posted:

Not so significant other? :laugh:

Right on point!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Barudak posted:

he's 20, until recently his wealth management strategy was focused around a piggy bank. he's allowed to be incredibly loving stupid with money so long as he listens to people smarter than him

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

i am glad that he was talked out of a foolish purchase and given sound financial advice, friend. i think this thread is making you too angry, take your :unsmith: s where you can find them

Im not mad from a "Im genuinely happy for him to be able to enjoy a worry free life starting at this moment and got the advice to make it happen" place Im mad from a "I love reading terrible loving advice" place

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Barudak posted:

Im not mad from a "Im genuinely happy for him to be able to enjoy a worry free life starting at this moment and got the advice to make it happen" place Im mad from a "I love reading terrible loving advice" place

did you look through ALL the responses? Someone had to have suggested bit coins.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Not every point of friction in a relationship is as weighty as whether to open it or how to spend 200 large.

My [28F] boyfriend [30M] of 2 years has told me I can't replace the popsicle maker he got me without seriously offending him. Should I just let it go?Relationships

quote:

As relationship problems go, this isn't really the worst one to have. But for our first Christmas together, my boyfriend asked me what I wanted and I said I wanted a single quick pop maker. Basically it's a little thing that sits in your freezer and if you put some juice inside it freezes in a minute or two and bam, you have a popsicle. Pretty neat right? Except when he went to the store they didn't have the single version so he bought one that makes three at a time. This seemed fine to me since three is better than one after all. But after using it a couple of times it became apparent that three is also significantly larger than one and there wasn't always enough room in his pretty small freezer, which was a problem because it needed to be chilled for like 24 hours before use (I kept it at his place because I lived with a hoarder housemate and there was NEVER enough room in our freezer). Keeping a popsicle thing in your freezer to make you a popsicle whenever you want is pretty cool. Planning 24 hours in advance if you want a popsicle is kind of a chore, so I soon stopped using the thing.
Anyway, that was 2 years ago and I still like the idea of instant popsicles so I've floated the idea of selling/giving away the large thing and getting the one-pop version a few times but for some reason he hates the idea to the point that he even said if I don't want it he'll take it, therefore I can't get rid of it because I'd be getting rid of his stuff (btw he's never made a single popsicle with it and there's no reason to suspect he'd start). He's said getting rid of it would mean I don't appreciate his gift which seems pretty unfair considering I asked for a specific product and got something else. Besides, I do appreciate the gift, I just feel like it's impractical. Now that I've moved in there's even less freezer space because I have to cook for my cat and half the freezer is perpetually taken up by cat food. His response to this is to say I can take up as much space as I want in the freezer with the popsicle thing and he'll make space which is nice but also dumb considering I could just replace it with a smaller thing! Probably dumber is his suggestion that I buy the smaller version but keep the bigger one that is definitely never going to be used again. I think the main issue is he seems to think it's disrespectful to ever get rid of a gift because he also keeps a foot-tall Smurf statue and a giant pizza cutter (he has never made a pizza in his life) in the kitchen for no reason other than because they were gifts. Anyway how do I convince him I do appreciate his gift but it's my drat popsicle maker now and I can do whatever I want with it? Or should I just buy the smaller thing and accept that one of our cupboards will be taken up by a useless appliance forever?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

that was an engagement popsiclemaker you oblivious harpy

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

quote:

I have to cook for my cat and half the freezer is perpetually taken up by cat food.

Flee

Barudak
May 7, 2007

This is just The Telltale Heart but with a popsicle maker

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I have to cook for my cat and half the freezer is perpetually taken up by cat food.

I feel like this needs to be emphasized because what

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

welcome to hell posted:

I really hate all these people

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

I really hate all these people

Me almost everytime you guys find a story.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

GBS: And with an inexplicable lack of hair, things start to fall apart › /r/relationships: I really hate all these people

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Viral marketing for infomercial-grade gimmick popsicle trays?

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

TheKennedys posted:

some people think that pet food is torture and insist on making meatloaf for their dogs twice a day

they're insane

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

some people are normal aside from needing to sack up, and others I feel sorry for even if they're kinda dumb. but etiquette lady and her fiance have to be the most insipid jerkoffs I've read about ITT

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

TheKennedys posted:

Some people feed their cat a "raw diet" that is basically frozen offal.

Efb

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Our freezer is too small which is coincidentally unrelated to me using half of the freezer for my homemade catfood.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Being uncultured swine, I didn't know what an oyster fork actually looks like so I googled and lol if he was eating a salad with that he must have been doing it just to get under her skin

I can see him blurting out through a mouthful of greens "I don't give a gently caress what kind of fork it is" while she blinks in surprise while holding her stepford wife smile

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Yawgmoth posted:

Brother different because of girl, this is bad because reasons

How close was their relationship before GF showed up? She could be annoyed that she doesn't get to spend as much time with her brother or yknow

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Intruder posted:

Being uncultured swine, I didn't know what an oyster fork actually looks like so I googled and lol if he was eating a salad with that he must have been doing it just to get under her skin

imo if your SO isn't interested in your hobbies it's poor form to try and force it. She has friends she can do her etiquette thing with so just keep it separate from home life.

e: tho I think he made a bit too big of a fuss, like it's better to just refuse to participate than it is to halfheartedly agree and be super passive aggressive about it.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 20, 2017

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

welcome to hell posted:

Etiquette is pure condensed classism, :sever: and :ussr:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I am a [28 F] Jew and my best friend is a [29 F] Palestinian and we are fighting.Non-Romantic

quote:

Sorry to use such a grabby title. My best friend and I are having a fight. I'm Jewish and she's Palestinian and thats always been a fun fact or a slightly contentious point in our relationship. She's actually educated me on a lot of the things happening in Israel right now and I feel as though I've grown a lot from our friendship. Recently we had a fight at dinner that was and is difficult to explain. At a party earlier that day a person had brought up the subject of Hitler and I was uncomfortable discussing the topic in that setting so I walked away. When I came back later on my friend agreed that the other girls were being inappropriate and I sort of left the subject at that. Truthfully I tend to stay away from the topic because its a very difficult thing for me to comprehend and even in the most educational setting is wrapped in so many layers I just want to avoid the emotion that goes with it.
Later that night my boyfriend and I and my best friend who we will Call Samantha and her boyfriend went out to dinner. Somehow we ended up discussing the earlier conversation and she had some questions about why the girls who were Jewish would be so nonchalant about talking about such a dark and painful subject. I tried to give her my opinion but really just wanted to change the subject. She sort of persisted I think because its in her nature to try and understand things as best she can and so even though I would much rather have been drinking my Mojito and not talking about Hitler I began to answer her. She wholeheartedly is against Birthright which is a free trip where Jewish students get to go and explore Israel. I completely understand why she is opposed to the organization and agree with her on many points but have also seen the benefit and its a deep point of contention between us. I was trying to explain that painful and deeply moving moment we went to the Holocaust museum in Israel when she brought up the fact that the museum was buried on the graves of her ancestors. It was a shocking response to a story that I hadn't begun to tell and was deeply personal. I wasn't angry but for the first time in our relationship I felt as though she was being insensitive (Thats usually me). Once more I told her the two weren't comparable. Not because I am unfeeling of the plight of Palestinians but rather because you should never compare mass murders. They are all horrific tragedies and the idea of comparing them seems to me a cheap form of one upmenship. At this point she completely shut down before I could really speak about any of this and on one of the few nights I actually got to go out, dinner was effectively over before my salad came.
She refused to look or speak to me and spent the rest of the night talking to her boyfriend. I don't do small talk just to pretend so my boyfriend and I sat silently until the meal was over. I'm not mad about the conversation we had or even the disagreement but what really hurts was the dismissal. She decided our night was over and that was that. It makes me furious that she hasn't talked to me in 2 days and we live together. In this situation I feel like I have done very little wrong and am now forced to wait to deal with this until she feels ready. Its the fact that she gets to control when we have a discussion or not that makes me angry. Any thoughts about what I should do? Tl;dr My best friend and I are fighting over a difficult topic. tl;dr: Mandatory summary/question!
Tl;DR My best friend and I are fighting over very sensitive and difficult topics. tl;dr: Mandatory summary/question!

It's a shame they don't share an apartment, I would totally have something for this.

Mirthless posted:

Etiquette is pure condensed classism, :sever: and :ussr:

huh. i agree with mirthless

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

ArbitraryC posted:

imo if your SO isn't interested in your hobbies it's poor form to try and force it. She has friends she can do her etiquette thing with so just keep it separate from home life.

He can't abide by her serving a homemade meal she spends hours on if she happens to serve it in multiple courses and dumps it all in the bin, doesn't exactly sound like a winner himself

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

ArbitraryC posted:

Did you miss the part where the fiance was going along with the etiquette stuff? I can understand that he has grown tired of it, but it still doesn't excuse being a dick to the fiancee and her friends.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

HardDiskD posted:

Did you miss the part where the fiance was going along with the etiquette stuff? I can understand that he has grown tired of it, but it still doesn't excuse being a dick to the fiancee and her friends.

Yeah my edit was late

ArbitraryC posted:

e: tho I think he made a bit too big of a fuss, like it's better to just refuse to participate than it is to halfheartedly agree and be super passive aggressive about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

That said, the etiquette stuff is loving stupid