Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
It looks like the leves are potion at 10, hi-potion at 25, mega-potion at 40.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Learn the art of WebM.

Saint Freak posted:

This guy ground to level 61 for Sirensong with the starter set doing only potd. There's no ilevel requirement.

He died to the first boss stackattack even with all 4 of us on him.

Learn the art of kicking people who aren't abiding by common decency and asking you to carry them.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

ImpAtom posted:

Really? I've got like 900 of those, do you need to be a certain level for them?

Potion: ALC 10
Hi-Potion: ALC 25
Mega-Potion: ALC 40

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Toshimo posted:

Potion: ALC 10
Hi-Potion: ALC 25
Mega-Potion: ALC 40

Nice, thanks!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I didn't see anyone explain PotD, so hopefully this isn't a repeat.

The Palace of the Dead is an optional side dungeon. It works kinda like a roguelike with an independent levelling system. You start at level 1 inside, and every 10 floors you progress you fight a boss and reach a checkpoint. At the checkpoint, you gain a hefty sum of experience for your external job.

It also uses an independent gear system, so your gear doesn't matter, and can be done anywhere from solo to groups of 4 with no role restrictions. Full matched groups are recommended for levelling.

There's a quest in New Gridania - the House that Death Built, that unlocks it, and you queue for it in Quarrymill.

Ah, thanks! I think I unlocked that earlier but I thought it was just another dungeon. Is going solo a real option or is it mostly for tanks/people better at the game than me? :v:

It sounds like the kind of thing I might love.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Your Computer posted:

Ah, thanks! I think I unlocked that earlier but I thought it was just another dungeon. Is going solo a real option or is it mostly for tanks/people better at the game than me? :v:

Going solo is an option (there's even an achievement for it) but honestly don't bother. You get paired up very quick and the safety net of other people is nice to have because occasionally you can get screwed by traps.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Your Computer posted:

there's achievements i believe to do potd solo but its patently unfun, and you can solo queue into a group of 4 and get faster clears

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Hey, i'm completely new at the game and i've gotten to level 15 as a gladiator. How do dungeons work in this game? I've worked my way to Horizon just doing regular quests and after looking it up I see there's a level 15 dungeon somewhere.

Does the game sync your level for it if I go over 15, and do people still play these early level dungeons?

I'm on Omega, so I might ask to join the SA guild once i'm out of the babby levels.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Rookoo posted:

Hey, i'm completely new at the game and i've gotten to level 15 as a gladiator. How do dungeons work in this game? I've worked my way to Horizon just doing regular quests and after looking it up I see there's a level 15 dungeon somewhere.

Does the game sync your level for it if I go over 15, and do people still play these early level dungeons?

I'm on Omega, so I might ask to join the SA guild once i'm out of the babby levels.

yes, it syncs people down, and yes, people still do it (there's a low-level roulette that pairs people together)

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Rookoo posted:

There's no need to wait to apply to join the Free Company! We've got a few other people levelling their way up, and experienced players get bonuses from being paired up with new people, so you'll have people willing to run things with you, and there'll be people you can ask for tips and advice in game too.

A Great Big Bee! fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 20, 2017

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Rookoo posted:

Just play the main story quest. The vast majority of dungeons are unlocked through the MSQ, including the first level 15 one. Keep an eye out for quests with blue markers and a plus sign, those quests unlock additional content. Sometimes it's more dungeons.

After you complete the first few dungeons you'll unlock something called the Leveling Roulette, which dumps you in a random dungeon that needs warm bodies to fill out a party. This remains relevant throughout all levels of play because it gives you pretty okay rewards at max level, and a giant chunk of XP at not max level (you only get the bonus once per day)

When you queue up for the level 15 dungeon, chances are nobody else is specifically doing content that old, but your party will be filled with people doing their roulettes for the day. There is a level and gear sync that has a few levels of leeway but leaves you at an appropriate strength for the content. I think the level 15 dungeon will dump you at level 18 or something like that, so someone doing their roulette aren't going to power you through it.

As a gladiator, you're in a tank role which means your queues will take about five seconds to pop.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Your Computer posted:

Solo is more of a challenge mode, and you'll want to have a head start your aetherpool gear levels to be very successful. You can definitely go in solo the first time if you want to see how it works, but it will be considerably slower than matching up.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Axle_Stukov posted:

Seiryu gets mentioned in passing during the DRG questline in such a way that it makes me really think that yeah, our primals after Menagerie EX will be Genbu/Byakko/Seiryu/Suzaku.

I'm gonna need you to refresh my memory because I've done those quests and don't remember that at all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't think we'd get the Four Guardians as primals. It seems more likely they'd be the bosses of a dungeon.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks folks, i'll see that I join the Free Company when I get a minute. The last MMORPG game I played was WOW about 8 years ago so I still need to do a bit of adjusting to this game, lol.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

All I want is a Rubicante fight. I don't really care about cagnazzo, milon, or barbara

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Dunno if this was linked in here already, but apparently prices of the game/sub through Steam got tripled for some countries like Brazil and Russia to give them parity with the rest of the world because of exchange rates and whatnot, and naturally those people affected are angry. I'm enjoying the debacle because from my experience people from Brazil and Russia tend to make any games they play unbearable, but I'm curious what sort of PR hit if any this will have for SE.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/337882-Steam-payment-HUGE-price-increase%21

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the PotD tips everyone :3:

Magil Zeal posted:

I've been playing a ladyfell since beta 3 and can't say I've had this problem, unless you mean the /pet emotes. That happens occasionally.

Occasional /pet emotes are inevitable but potatoes are the best race so that's alright

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I kind of want to start doing Omega normal but I looked at the PF last night and I had no idea what I was looking at and all the duties were "Locked Duty" for some reason so :v:

I assume I'll need to do all four in order before I can start running individual ones, right? Do people run O1 normal still so that asking in FC chat might realistically help me put a group together? I really have no idea how raiding works in FFXIV since this is the first time I've waded in.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Harrow posted:

I kind of want to start doing Omega normal but I looked at the PF last night and I had no idea what I was looking at and all the duties were "Locked Duty" for some reason so :v:

I assume I'll need to do all four in order before I can start running individual ones, right? Do people run O1 normal still so that asking in FC chat might realistically help me put a group together? I really have no idea how raiding works in FFXIV since this is the first time I've waded in.

Just queue for them in the DF? They're easy and fun.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

It came out two weeks ago. Yes people still run it because people need the drops for gear. Just ask in FC chat for people, or you can flat DF it. Hell, 1.0S is puggable with effort.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Somehow I assumed going DF would be a nightmare but if they're really that easy I'll do that if nobody bites in FC chat then.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

PF is for grinding normal mode in a structured group, DF is fine for your first few runs of it. Normal mode gives weekly drops that most people want, but the loot system uses a lot of random rolls, so a lot of people need to run each floor multiple times per week. PF organized groups help lessen the amount RNG can screw you over, but plenty of people just queue for it without trying organize anything. You shouldn't have any trouble getting some people in your FC to help you out, and there will be a never-ending source of pubbies who are going to queue for it through DF. You unlock each floor in order, but if you wanted to do the first three back to back, then do the first floor a dozen times before doing the fourth, you can.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Harrow posted:

Somehow I assumed going DF would be a nightmare but if they're really that easy I'll do that if nobody bites in FC chat then.

The fights have mechanics, but none of them are really difficult and there's basically no enrage so lovely DPS doesn't matter too much.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I did it, I reached 50! :kimchi: Now I can finally be a red mage to match my red chocobo

Before I get too ahead of myself I'm sure there's a bunch of stuff I want to wrap up at 50 first though. I know I can finally unlock glamour (still mad they locked that behind 50) and finish the main quest, as well as doing the level 50 job quest for Bard (which I've been leveling as so far). What other stuff is there that I need to unlock/work on now that I'm 50?

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

I don't see a single bite of pineapple pudding. Shameful.

Zhloe ate it all

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
PCD is a free company based around two things: opulence

and a celebration of all love

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Your Computer posted:

What other stuff is there that I need to unlock/work on now that I'm 50?

raising ranks with your gc and unlocking hunts would be useful I guess

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Your Computer posted:

I did it, I reached 50! :kimchi: Now I can finally be a red mage to match my red chocobo

Before I get too ahead of myself I'm sure there's a bunch of stuff I want to wrap up at 50 first though. I know I can finally unlock glamour (still mad they locked that behind 50) and finish the main quest, as well as doing the level 50 job quest for Bard (which I've been leveling as so far). What other stuff is there that I need to unlock/work on now that I'm 50?

glamour prisms

e: i can't read

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Your Computer posted:

I made an effortpost a long time ago that I'll try to find, but I strongly recommend breaking up the monotony of the 2.x MSQ by doing the ARR content in patch order. That way you only do an hour or two of lovely MSQ interspersed with Hildibrand, dungeons, and (the easy) raids. Roughly:

Very first:
Bard 50 quest
MSQ through "The Ultimate Weapon

2.0:
First step of the relic (don't go past that!) for the Chimera, Hydra, Ifrit (hard), Gaurda (hard), and Titan (hard) trials
Wanderer's Palace
Amdapor Keep

2.1:
MSQ through "The Gifted"
Hildibrand through "The Immaculate Deception"
Labyrinth of the Ancients
Pharos Sirius
Copperbell Mines (hard)
Haukke Manor (hard)

2.2:
MSQ through "Through the Maelstrom"
Hildibrand through "The Three Collectors"
Lost City of Amdapor
Halatali (hard)
Brayflox's Longstop (hard)

2.3:
MSQ through "Brave New Companions"
Hildibrand through "A Case of Indecency"
Syrcus Tower
Hullbreaker Isle
Stone Vigil (hard)
Tam-Tara Deepcroft (hard)

2.4:
MSQ through "Let Us Cling Together"
Hildibrand through "The Coliseum Conundrum"
Sastasha (hard)
Sunken Temple of Qarn (hard)

2.5:
MSQ through "In Memory of <spoilers>"
Hildibrand through "Her Last Vow"
World of Darkness
Wanderer's Palace (hard)
Amdapor Keep (hard)

2.55:
MSQ through "Before the Dawn"

If, at any point, a queue is too long or you just aren't feeling a piece of content, skip it! The purpose of this advice is to prevent the burnout that happens from doing four to six hours of bad plot in a row.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Doing wanderers palace or amdapor keep nowadays is incredibly nostalgic for me because I got burnt out grinding those dungeons back in 2.0 for allagan tomestones over and over, but now I enjoy how fast they are. You can literally three pull wanderers palace with decent gear and aoe, it rules.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Concurred posted:

Doing wanderers palace or amdapor keep nowadays is incredibly nostalgic for me because I got burnt out grinding those dungeons back in 2.0 for allagan tomestones over and over, but now I enjoy how fast they are. You can literally three pull wanderers palace with decent gear and aoe, it rules.

I remember 2.0 fondly as a fledgling tank. Amdapor Keep was always single pulled, mobs were marked with a kill order, and the BLM would sleep the mobs we weren't focusing on. Not to mention I was always worried about slowly bleeding gil, since repair costs were high and income was non-existent.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I remember getting one shot to a King's Will'd Iron Justice crit from one of the dullahans in there back when I farmed it. Shoulda used more cooldowns on trash.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

cheetah7071 posted:

If, at any point, a queue is too long or you just aren't feeling a piece of content, skip it! The purpose of this advice is to prevent the burnout that happens from doing four to six hours of bad plot in a row.

cheetah7071 gives good advise. I did this specifically while leveling up an alt drg for some reason on another server. For example, fire up a DF for Haukke HM while doing the patch 2.2 quests. Even with relatively long wait times for dps, you should have no trouble getting every non-raid duty completed at least once this way and it will also help avoid there monotony of grinding out just one thing at a time.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 20, 2017

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Countblanc posted:

i finally did it, after 32 runs. i got the balder tuck.

Wait do the Baldur weapons drop from Gubal Library HM? I was looking at the Baldur Katana and liking it, but the only info I could find only said it dropped from Neverreap and Fractal Continuum.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The 24-man raids (Labyrinth of the Ancients, Syrcus Tower, World of Darkness) might have unbearably long queues. I've heard reddit has arranged for Sunday to be the day everybody who wants to do those queues does them, so you might have been luck then than the rest of the week.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 20, 2017

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The queue length on raids should get better when they introduce the Raid Roulette soon.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

FFXIV noob here. Wife and I have been playing the trial and enjoying it. She plays on the PS4, but wants to play on the PC sometimes too. I want to buy two copies (one for myself on the PC and one for her on the PS4). What I want to know is whether or not she can switch between the PS4 and my PC to play without needing to buy a 3rd copy?

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Xavier434 posted:

FFXIV noob here. Wife and I have been playing the trial and enjoying it. She plays on the PS4, but wants to play on the PC sometimes too. I want to buy two copies (one for myself on the PC and one for her on the PS4). What I want to know is whether or not she can switch between the PS4 and my PC to play without needing to buy a 3rd copy?

you need a license per account per system, so if your wife wants to play ps4/pc she will need to register both a ps4 copy and a pc copy, iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Xavier434 posted:

Each service account will need a separate license for each system it plays on. If your wife logs onto the PC install without having paid separately, it won't work.