Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Osama Dozen-Dongs
Nov 29, 2014

Was this Adam's true objective all along? 2B hugs? I bet it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Browsing images I'd saved, I found a piece of fanart in Japanese I'd like translated as long as it isn't spoilers for where we are.

(Putting it behind spoiler tags to be extra safe)

EDIT: Deleted to be extra extra safe.

Kavak fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jul 20, 2017

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

That is, in fact, spoilers. Save it for when we get to Route B!

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I seriously hope the moonrunes aren't spoilers because that fanart is amazing.

E:f,b: gently caress. Somebody please remember to post a translation when it's no longer spoilers please.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kavak posted:

Browsing images I'd saved, I found a piece of fanart in Japanese I'd like translated as long as it isn't spoilers for where we are.

(Putting it behind spoiler tags to be extra safe)

I always knew machines were no better than those loving Whitehills.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Omobono posted:

I seriously hope the moonrunes aren't spoilers because that fanart is amazing.

E:f,b: gently caress. Somebody please remember to post a translation when it's no longer spoilers please.

Wouldn't it make more sense to edit it out entirely and ask in the general, spoiler-friendly thread and not this LP? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773002&pagenumber=1

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
You know, I have to ask, why is it so common to call Japanese Moonrunes? I know that Moonrunes originate from Tolkien, but why have so many people started calling Japanese Moonrunes?

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Stephen9001 posted:

You know, I have to ask, why is it so common to call Japanese Moonrunes? I know that Moonrunes originate from Tolkien, but why have so many people started calling Japanese Moonrunes?

I would assume it has something to do with the tendency to facetiously call Japanese 'Moonspeak'. Now, if you're asking where that came from, I'm afraid I can't tell you.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

fractalairduct posted:

That is, in fact, spoilers. Save it for when we get to Route B!

Is the image itself or the writing spoilers?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Kavak posted:

Is the image itself or the writing spoilers?

Teeeeechnically both.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
If it's spoilers I don't see it. And I have beaten the game and all main endings.

fake edit: no this is not an invitation to start huge spoiler tag discussion, you can just PM me the reason this is spoilers if you feel so inclined

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

vdate posted:

I would assume it has something to do with the tendency to facetiously call Japanese 'Moonspeak'. Now, if you're asking where that came from, I'm afraid I can't tell you.

I'm pretty sure it started with a joke on the Tick cartoon where he encounters some aliens who speak to him in spanish and he yells "I can't speak your crazy moon language!" This then became a meme when someone would post something not in english with no translation.

Thus moonspeak and moonrunes.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
The Tick reference sounds right.

Japan doesn’t always use the modern English alphabet, which makes it significantly more difficult than other languages to get a basic software translation. All Eastern script can informally be called ‘moon runes’, but Japan has been the biggest exporter of anime and video games since the 80’s. Since they’re such a major source for media, the phrase usually refers to them unless otherwise specified.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

vdate posted:

Which is just silly because Digimon established the proper name for the Japanese language is 'Digi-Code.'

But man, I did not fully appreciate those animations when I was actually playing the game. Too much junk on the screen. Thanks for going to the trouble, Id.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode LVII: Become As...

Alright, I’ll admit it. Perhaps we were a bit harsh with assuming the church was immediately evil. Sure, it’s a slippery slope from JRPG organized religion to demon worshipping sect trying to summon a Cthulhu or cannibal space babies. But by all accounts, these guys found God like... earlier this week. I suppose we can give them a little bit of a chance before they work their way up to death cult or something. That said, if these guys are led by some little girl robot wearing red and talking in a pack a day smoker voice, we’re purging the whole facility immediately. I ain’t doing that again...

New Music: Wretched Weaponry (Quiet)

The priest of the as of yet unnamed religion’s priest leads 2B and Pascal to the up to this point inaccessible elevator towards the front of the Abandoned Factory (why is it called that when it’s clearly lousy with machines at all times and fully operational?) The priest leaves us behind, giving Pascal and 2B time for a short chat as the elevator descends.

So why are you still here?
Well, I brought you this far, didn’t I? It’s my duty to see this through to the end.
...Appreciated.

After a long descent to the bottom of the factory, we open up on... guys... torches? Really? I get you’re going for a cult aesthetic and all. But c’mon. This place has electricity and functional lights. What are you even playing at?

Door at the end of the hall. Got it. Does His Grace have a name or title...? Who are we meeting here? The Robo-Pope? I’m going to assume it is the Robo-Pope. Is that cool? Do you guys even know what a pope is...? Ah, forget it. We’ll find out soon enough.

Same except when we stabbed that Adam guy to death. You all aren’t mad about that one, right? I know he was administrating half of your network and all, but did you guys even know who Adam was in the first place? Dude was around for all of like a couple months in the 10,000+ years of this war and by all accounts he spent all his time fantasizing about hanging out with humans and unsuccessfully figuring out how to tie a tie.

This dude hasn’t taken up to spinning, flicking flower petals around or randomly going “lalalala” right...? I heard about another cult having an issue with someone like that once. It went poorly...

I think you’re going to have to blow up the moon if you want that to last. Humans are up there, you know? Those guys just can’t get enough of war.

OK, enough yammering with acolytes of this new faith. Let’s go meet the leader and see what his deal is... Seems like modesty isn’t part of the faith given the massive banners and throne encircled by excited worshipers.

I’m here to discuss the... peace treaty?

Meet the leader of this religious order, Kierkegaard – named after Søren Aabye Kierkegaard, a Danish existentialist philosopher from the 1800s who wrote various texts criticizing organized religion and particularly Christianity. He apparently was also a big fan of irony in his writings. So I guess that’s an apt name for a cult leader. At least I assume as much...

It’s going to be hard to ask him considering he’s dead.

Guys, just so you know... we literally just got here. How could we even have time to assassinate your po—

His Grace is a goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!

...become a god!
His wondrous Grace has become a god!
...become a god!

...become as gods!

...become as gods!

...become as gods!

...become as gods!

...become as gods! We’ll all die together and become as gods!

...Oh dear.

New Music: Birth of a Wish (Become as Gods)
(Hey go listen to this!)

Oh CHRIST! The robots have already jumped to the death cult phase after two days of finding religion. Pascal, we’ve got to loving cheese it out of here NOW, my dude!

I was right. This IS shady! Fascinating, though... I’ve never seen machines with such... unique perspectives. I wonder if there’s a way to collect some samples and—
Less talk. More running.

All the machines in the area have turned hostile. Becoming a god isn’t an opt in thing for this compound. It’s a mandatory service. After all, who wouldn’t want to become a god? And what kind of jerk wouldn’t want to help others become as gods? They’re just being neighborly. Even if 2B is having none of that poo poo.

We’ve had a run-in with hostile machines in the abandoned factory. We need an immediate escape route.
<heavy static> Op... here. What... 2B?
Communications are currently unstable.
Loop a distress signal!
Affirmative.
drat it!

The afterlife is wonderful!
Death brings final tranquility!
Die and become gods!
Let us become gods together!
We shall become gods! We shall!

The religious zealots are all just Stubbies with robes and painted purple. But there is an awful lot of ‘em with more flooding into the room to help the non-believer find their path. All we can do for now is hold out and help them become as gods instead. After a couple minutes of fighting...

Let’s check it out.

C’mon, Pascal! We’ve gotta go! This is a bad scene and you don’t fight, so get your jetpack rear end on this elevator and let’s go!

So Pascal, you were just going to saunter over here alone if 2B hadn’t volunteered to tag along? Or were you not going to take their invitation until 2B insisted you check it out? Either way, bad decisions have been made on this vent—

ROBOT!

*gasp*
It’s me! 9S!
...9S!?
I hacked into this machine from the Bunker. I’m controlling it! I’m gonna break into this factory’s systems and get you outta here! Don’t do anything too reckless, 2B. We’ll meet up later on.
Appreciated.
<shorts out and deactivates>

Tune in next time as 9S helps 2B and Pascal escape from becoming as gods in Machine Jonestown as NieR: Automata continues. I can’t believe they already went full death cult in under a week. That’s got to be some kind of religion record...

Video: Episode 57 Highlight Reel
(Hey go watch this.)

Factory Concept Art – Become as gods via grave OSHA violations.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 20, 2017

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I have to admit even after the roborgy in the desert I was not expecting or prepared for that meeting with the popebot and his crazy parish.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Become. As. Gods.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Become. As. Gods.

This. Can. Continue.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
I can't stress enough how great the music track is.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Welcome to the biggest earworm in the game.

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
Fair warning, this is catchy as hell. It's my personal favourite of the Birth of a Wish variants.

become as gods. become as gods.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I don't need to click the music link because this song has been stuck in my head continuously for months.

b e c o m e a s g o d s (ha) b e c o m e a s g o d s (ho) b e c o m e a s g o d s

megane fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 20, 2017

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
My first time playing through this level is one of my most memorable experiences gaming. Everything was all set to be creepy and then suddenly the head drops and everything goes insane.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Heeere we go! :getin:

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Those of you who were asking about where the :yokotaro: would be: here you go!

Watch the video of this. Seriously. Images can't capture how ridiculous it is. And this is, indeed, the best Birth of a Wish variant. I wish it were on the soundtrack.

Also, they don't all become hostile immediately. They pray for a while then eventually decide to accelerate the process of becoming gods.

Qrr fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 20, 2017

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Become rear end Gods

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

axeil posted:

So if you disconnect from the network, 1/3rd end up a crazed android-wearing monstrosity, 1/3rd end up as a fanatic feudalistic kingdom with a baby for a ruler and 1/3rd end up like Pascal.

Given those odds, maybe machines shouldn't disconnect from the network...

And here's the 1/3 that turns into a frenzied death cult obsessed with becoming gods by killing everyone and everything, including themselves. :v:

Boy, the machine lifeforms sure are batting 1000 on this whole independence thing, aren't they?

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

And the ride up the hill on the Yoko Taro rollercoaster has finally ended. Time for a long drop and some loop-d-loops :getin:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Fun fact: the enemies in the throne room are not endless. If you happen to enjoy killing religious zealots you can keep at it while Pascal waits in the elevator.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Text really doesn't capture what a precious angel Pascal is, huh.

I'll say it right now, if any of this game's inevitable "that thing you thought was good is actually BAD" twists try any poo poo with Pascal I am going to be very cross

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
BECOME AS GODS! BECOME AS GODS!

Actually this variation is called (Becoming a God) instead of (Become as Gods) for some reason BECOME AS GODS! BECOME AS GODS!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Begemot posted:

Fun fact: the enemies in the throne room are not endless. If you happen to enjoy killing religious zealots you can keep at it while Pascal waits in the elevator.

You have conflicting statements here.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Oh, also, for those interested, here's the same scene in Japanese; I think the robot chanting is just slightly more ominous in that one because it matches the rhythm a little better. Additionally, the Japanese is a little more explicit; カミになる is literally "become gods", not merely "become as gods".

e: polsy link

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 20, 2017

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I see what happened here. These machines found an old copy of Xenogears. They got the whole "become as gods" thing from the intro movie, then they got to the second disc and picked up the whole "death wish" thing.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Oh so there's a Kierkegaard in this game, cool...Oh now he's dead, am I the only one disappointed that he never got to make a wager with Pasc-becomeasgodsbecomeasgods.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

some guy on the bus posted:

Become rear end Gods

That title is clearly already taken.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Oh, also, for those interested, here's the same scene in Japanese; I think the robot chanting is just slightly more ominous in that one because it matches the rhythm a little better. Additionally, the Japanese is a little more explicit; カミになる is literally "become gods", not merely "become as gods".

Here's the japanese version of the track if anyone's interested:
http://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DKC6wkj4K9kg

Graceful Graveler
May 18, 2009
I like the This Cannot Continue variant just about as much as Become As Gods, if not a little bit more, but this may have something to do with the fact that the friend who helped me get this game just started a conversation with BECOME AS GODS one day, before I so much as owned the game. :sigh: Why are people so bad with spoilers?

(I acknowledge that this isn't even that big on the spoiler scale and I'm not even mad anymore, but it would have been cool if I had absolutely no expectations walking into this scene.)

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Isn't it great when news provide perfect image for the LP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I know a guy who did his thesis on Kierkegaard, for whatever that's worth.

Dude's interesting since he was a Christian existentialist despite his criticisms of the Church, two positions that, if not contradictory in themselves, tend to run in very different circles. The most relevant quote for the game, though, feels like it's gotta be "to have faith is precisely to lose one's mind so as to win God."

Which the cult seems to be trying, so, you know. Good on them?

• Locked thread