Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Got home from the office last night, played a pinball game on PS3 with Mrs and told her I was pretty tired and just wanted to lie down a bit at around 1800.

Got up 30 minutes ago at 0645 :v:

I did brush my teeth when I got up to take a piss around 10, but man that's the longest sleep I've had in years.:feelsgood:

Ether Frenzy posted:

Schindler's Lift, eh?
I'm going to hell, I chuckled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Finally got to try a car with Apple CarPlay. What a disappointment - it's worse in many ways than a decent Bluetooth unit.

- Can't use google maps / waze / whatever.
- Can't have one app up on the phone and one on the dash - i.e. nav and music.
- Can't connect one phone via CarPlay and another via Bluetooth.
- Can't make a phone call using steering wheel controls.
- Spotify and Overcast apps are buggy as poo poo - at one point I opened Overcast, which launched on the phone, but CarPlay opened Spotify.

Some of these may be down to the head unit ('17 VW Tiguan) but it's just a bit poo poo. Aside from having a big screen I don't see the benefit (aside from :cop: ) above Bluetooth and a decent phone mount. A lot of cars even have a Siri / Cortana / whatever button.

The only thing I liked was apple maps gave me nav on the car screen with the next 5 instructions on my phone.

Is the Android implementation any better?

Please don't turn this into general Apple vs Android proselytising .

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Adiabatic posted:

which is closed due to volcanic activity.

Well, good luck to you Mr sloth. A few years ago when we came back and there was volcanic activity, the volcano erupted 7 hours before our flight was due to leave which delayed our plane by 14 hours. That was an awesome day at Alajuela airfield since they didn't let us know until we got to the gate ready to head out. $130 in food and pissed off later we were finally on our way to LAX. We arrived at 1:30 am, of course we missed our connecting flight by hours and the gate attendant cheerfully notified us that they had booked us for a flight the following morning at 10:30 am and the terminal is closed so we'd have to just hang out on a curb until 6:00 am. Fortunately, we weren't the only ones in this situation and there was a large uproar so they found it in their hearts to put us up in a room for the night at a nearby hotel. The best part is when I got back to work the day after I got to hear "Oh, you just HAPPENED to get grounded by a volcano huh? In the book of excuses, at least you're original..." Assholes.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
It should never be 90-something degrees at 7:00am.

Also, fiberglass insulation is the loving devil.

I'm so itchy help me

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

It should never be 90-something degrees at 7:00am.

Also, fiberglass insulation is the loving devil.

I'm so itchy help me

This is why I still haven't finished working on my garage. gently caress doing insulation in 90+ degree heat. That poo poo can wait for the weekend (morning when I may have a few hours to not die from heat exhaustion).

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

If you're doing any amount of fiberglass insulation, wear disposable coveralls, paper, tyvek or something like that. You can be as bare underneath as you want and save yourself the fibreglass misery.

Also, the impulse drunk purchase I made last week on Amazon last week that I totally forgot about just showed up on my doorstep.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Ether Frenzy posted:

Schindler's Lift, eh?

I make this joke to my wife every time we ride a Schindler elevator.

She never laughs.

I'll get her some day.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

stump posted:

Finally got to try a car with Apple CarPlay. What a disappointment - it's worse in many ways than a decent Bluetooth unit.

- Spotify and Overcast apps are buggy as poo poo - at one point I opened Overcast, which launched on the phone, but CarPlay opened Spotify.

Some of these may be down to the head unit ('17 VW Tiguan) but it's just a bit poo poo. Aside from having a big screen I don't see the benefit (aside from :cop: ) above Bluetooth and a decent phone mount. A lot of cars even have a Siri / Cortana / whatever button.

The only thing I liked was apple maps gave me nav on the car screen with the next 5 instructions on my phone.

I've played with a few interfaces in friends cars and nothing really beats a simple ipod in port.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Ether Frenzy posted:

My wife does the Warboys V8 salute when she sees my car, so my advice to Rhyno and Tusen is :sever:

My wife was never crazy about the E36 because the suspension was blown out, but on smooth roads she did enjoy it and she liked taking it out but really never drove it that much. We got the E90 M3 while she was in the middle of pregnancy and didn't care too much for the heavily bolstered seats or the "road feel" that the car communicated back.

Fast forward one month postpartum she has taken the car out a few times a week by herself or just herself and the little baby and she tells me how much she loves it. She said her favorite thing is the sound of the V8. Total keeper.

Rhyno, buy an M3 for your bride to be.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

stump posted:

I like CarPlay better that it sounds like you do. Ive only used it in Fords with Sync 3. Personally I liked it for music, but I have a huge library and use apple music. I also don't dislike apple maps. I use google/apple/waze interchangeably. The biggest advantage of CarPlay to me was the music integration and ease of browsing my library. I always plug my phone in in the car because its 3 years old and the battery sucks, so being plugged in is business as usual for me. Pretty sure with the ford I could make calls with the steering wheel controls, but I only spent a few days with it so im not sure. I never used any 3rd party apps. As others have said, wireless connections are coming soon, know BMW is working on it. For battery reasons I still see being plugged in personally.

I used android auto on both cars and I thought the interface and integration was a ton better. Honestly im probably going to go android in not too long. I like my aux cable I use it all the time.

If I were to get a newer car AndroidAuto/CarPlay would be big selling points to me. I like the navigation and audio interfaces a ton better. Certainly more than just a BT connection.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

mother gently caress i am in full on rage mode today

didn't help that I had dipshits loving with me on the road. Oh, here's a miata who thinks he's loving Senna passing three cars and then nearly ripping off my front bumper cutting in front of me, just to immediately stop and wait for 2 full cycles of the light before we both got through the turn. Here's a GTO who's loving pacing me for some reason, driving 10 under until I get over to pass at which point he starts pacing me up to 60; I slow and get back behind him, rinse and repeat. Here's some idiot in a rav4 who's matching speed with slow traffic even though our lane is fully clear, and randomly stepping on the brakes every couple seconds.

And since I have no actual outlet for anger I post about it here! enjoy, kids

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Sadi posted:

I like CarPlay better that it sounds like you do. Ive only used it in Fords with Sync 3. Personally I liked it for music, but I have a huge library and use apple music.
I'm either listening to podcasts or have Spotify on random so being able to scroll through a big music catalog isn't something I need but I can totally see why that would be a good reason to like CarPlay.

Glad the Android one is better. If I owned a car with a fancy stereo I would be tempted to get an android, even if it was just a cheap one to leave in the car..... as long as I could connect a second phone by Bluetooth :argh:

On the subject of charging... when will car / head unit manufacturers start putting quick charge USB slots in. Every one I've used charges phones at a snails pace, especially when using nav and playing music. I've used a few which were so weak that my phone was discharging despite being plugged in.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Enourmo posted:

mother gently caress i am in full on rage mode today

didn't help that I had dipshits loving with me on the road. Oh, here's a miata who thinks he's loving Senna passing three cars and then nearly ripping off my front bumper cutting in front of me, just to immediately stop and wait for 2 full cycles of the light before we both got through the turn. Here's a GTO who's loving pacing me for some reason, driving 10 under until I get over to pass at which point he starts pacing me up to 60; I slow and get back behind him, rinse and repeat. Here's some idiot in a rav4 who's matching speed with slow traffic even though our lane is fully clear, and randomly stepping on the brakes every couple seconds.

And since I have no actual outlet for anger I post about it here! enjoy, kids

We're all here to helpfully listen.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

stump posted:

On the subject of charging... when will car / head unit manufacturers start putting quick charge USB slots in. Every one I've used charges phones at a snails pace, especially when using nav and playing music. I've used a few which were so weak that my phone was discharging despite being plugged in.

Since USB-A is on the verge of being obsolete, I'm expecting this feature to become standard any year now.

(USB-C is probably coming soon)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cursedshitbox posted:

I can count on one hand the number of rovers that aren't rough.
Well, that's generally true, though there are some very clean ones out there.

But for the kind of thing you seem to be looking at, the UK market is going to have some cheap ones, more so than elsewhere.

bolind posted:

All this hearing loss talk, I should probably get tested. If I'm frying something at the stove I can't hear a single word my wife is saying.
Protip: Don't drop weld spatter down your ear.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Previa_fun posted:

My wife loves Miatas too but hates almost literally every other car I have an interest in or could afford. No stupid vans, no Volvo wagons, no 90s Japanese warm hatches for me.

Her dream car is a Viper GTS and if I won the lottery tomorrow I'd buy her one and she'd definitely kill herself in it. :shobon:

Mt wife actually likes my '70 Cutlass - she said as much when we met - but, while not negative toward my RX-7s, doesn't particularly give a poo poo about them. The Crown Vic is just a car to her. She loves her Spectra5, but would really like to upgrade to the "stuff" capacity of a Soul. At least she likes/prefers manual transmissions. She doesn't give me crap about what I drive, at least. She detests, BMWs and Cadillacs, but that's more the drivers/type of people who tend to own them than the cars themselves.

cursedshitbox posted:

Phone won't stop ringing? More like I'm perched on the wing of a b52 during takeoff.

I can't hear poo poo humans speak, but boyyyyy howdy if there is one slight tink amiss inside of an engine I know it before anyfuckingbodyelse.

Selection bias?

bolind posted:

All this hearing loss talk, I should probably get tested. If I'm frying something at the stove I can't hear a single word my wife is saying.

Isn't that just because it's mostlywhite noise, like running water?

stump posted:

This, I hate. I'm thinking about an aftrermarket CarPlay head, and this just steams me. I *like* Waze, dammit.

quote:

Why do you need this? You can't have two apps showing on the phone, either. Use the music controls to change tracks or whatever. Or switch apps briefly.

quote:

May be a limitation of the head itself? Silly, either way, but made it simpler for the programmers, I expect.

quote:

Well, that's just dumb. Not like that would be a new feature or anything.

quote:

As you say, that might be down to the head unit itself rather than CarPlay per se.

quote:

Dang. I wish there was a better way to try it out than spend $400 and up in a head unit.

stump posted:

My Pioneer mechless head seems to charge pretty quick. Not sure if it's actually high current or not.
You wouldn't think it would be difficult - they've got a pretty beefy power supply to tap into.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I know there are some super easy jokes to be made, but the singer from Linkin Park hanged himself today. I didn't listen to them much anymore but Ill have a special place in my heart for their first album being I was 16 when it came out.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Cage posted:

I know there are some super easy jokes to be made, but the singer from Linkin Park hanged himself today. I didn't listen to them much anymore but Ill have a special place in my heart for their first album being I was 16 when it came out.

I feel ya. I wish all of the angsty musicians we listened to as teens could grow up to be happy, boring old dads like T Reznor.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
He did warn us that he was about to break.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i really disliked LP but chester was a good singer, and was a fantastic stand-in for lead singer of STP after Scott died. I wish these guys would realize how much their families miss them when they do this stuff :(

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

He tried so hard, and got so far. But in the end, did it even really matter?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Well he was tired of hanging around I guess. I had my moment of listening to LP until I actually listened to the lyrics and realized they were total shite. Sounds like they just needed their dad to give them a hug.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I make this joke to my wife every time we ride a Schindler elevator.

I wind up in several elevators a day, including a lot of Schindlers (they seem to be very popular in apartments here).

I never made the connection. :downsgun:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Sounds like they just needed their dad to give them a hug.
Well, he was sexually abused by an older male when he was 7 so he could understandably be pretty wary of stuff like that. He needed help no doubt though.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Schindler Elevator Corporation is the north american entity of Schindler Group, which was founded in 1874 in Lucerne, Switzerland. They were making all sorts of lifting equipment back then, so I'm afraid the amusing joke is just a coincidence and not an intentional reference.

I don't know if that makes it better or worse...

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Darchangel posted:

Why do you need this? You can't have two apps showing on the phone, either. Use the music controls to change tracks or whatever. Or switch apps briefly.

So I can see what track is playing when I'm skipping through stuff on random without having to fiddle about switching apps. Ironically a phone playing music by Bluetooth can show tracks on the head unit and nav on phone.

I know most phones (except maybe some androids?) can't do side by side apps but I don't see any reason why it isn't possible - it's not like they are processor intensive apps.

Also (and I know this is a very niche use case) I often drive roads with average speed cameras and use an app to track average speed - so I find myself switching between three apps.

Admittedly while I use google maps all the time I rarely actually need it for navigation, but I like keeping track of my ETA and in case a quicker route pops up.

Edit: I know this is a total first world problem - I'm just mildly frustrated that something which should be very good is actually only mildly useful.

stump fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 20, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

stump posted:

So I can see what track is playing when I'm skipping through stuff on random without having to fiddle about switching apps. Ironically a phone playing music by Bluetooth can show tracks on the head unit and nav on phone.

I know most phones (except maybe some androids?) can't do side by side apps but I don't see any reason why it isn't possible - it's not like they are processor intensive apps.

Also (and I know this is a very niche use case) I often drive roads with average speed cameras and use an app to track average speed - so I find myself switching between three apps.

Admittedly while I use google maps all the time I rarely actually need it for navigation, but I like keeping track of my ETA and in case a quicker route pops up.

Fair enough.
It does seem like, for the most part, CarPlay is basically just acting like a remote screen and digitizer, only worse, insofar that the head units that actually do mirroring will obviously let you run any app on the phone, but CarPlay only works with certain "approved" apps. Do any other apps other than Maps take advantage of the dual-screen availability? I get the impression that CarPlay is designed for you to plug in the iPhone and throw it in a cubby, just using it as the brain for the system.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Darchangel posted:

I get the impression that CarPlay is designed for you to plug in the iPhone and throw it in a cubby, just using it as the brain for the system.

Yeah that's maybe the point I've been missing, is that it completely removes the need to touch your phone while driving. By getting giving you a big, poo poo version of your phone.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
and it's okay since you probably shouldnt be loving around with your phone while driving

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Welp, did my first go-kart track visit as an adult-aged person and I'm 100% hooked on racing. Next step I guess is to find a way to afford that MR2 AW11 and take 'er on up to a race track.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Just did an interview for an ED Tech position at the largest hospital network here in AZ. I need to get out of the hot boxes (ambulances) and into a building. It's more difficult work, but only 3x days a week for the same monthly pay. Please please please please work out :ohdear:

I did the interview with the head of Nursing because the Nursing Director was in a meeting, and then the director came in for the last minute or so of questions before they sent me out. I hope that didn't screw me. It went very well with the head.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Cage posted:

Well, he was sexually abused by an older male when he was 7 so he could understandably be pretty wary of stuff like that. He needed help no doubt though.

That is pretty grim and suddenly explains a lot. Not enough of an LP fan to know the his life story so I resort to neanderthal ways by judging people based on what they produce. I am a horrible person

To be fair it was probably the radio that still to this day plays their stuff on repeat that soured me on their whole library of stuff.

pr0craztinazn
Feb 24, 2006

Ether Frenzy posted:

Schindler's Lift, eh?
This is a joke I make sometimes and few end up seeing the humor. It's nice to know that others see this, too.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Just did an interview for an ED Tech position at the largest hospital network here in AZ. I need to get out of the hot boxes (ambulances) and into a building. It's more difficult work, but only 3x days a week for the same monthly pay. Please please please please work out :ohdear:
Best of luck, dude.

Anyone else gotten cold feet right before picking up a new-to-them vehicle? I've been waiting six months for Holden to throw this together and for it to cross the ocean, yet now that it's cleared customs, I'm having second thoughts.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

ED Tech position...

So you'll be fixing boners?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Larrymer posted:

This is why I still haven't finished working on my garage. gently caress doing insulation in 90+ degree heat. That poo poo can wait for the weekend (morning when I may have a few hours to not die from heat exhaustion).

Unfortunately for me I didn't have the option to wait, nor did I get the notice required to do this properly.
Wife and I are building a house, the builder apparently called my wife and set the date for our pre-drywall inspection. Wife tells me LIKE 18 loving HOURS BEFORE THE MEETING.
The reason this is a problem is because the builder told me "hey bud, we don't insulate these parts, but if you want to show up to the meeting with some insulation, you can totally DIY afterwards."
Awesome, but not when it's a hundred loving degrees and nobody has the insulation I want in stock.

I managed to snag the last 2 rolls of some bullshit R19 from Lowes and go dumpster diving and scavenge almost 10 batts from the builder's construction dumpster.
So it worked out, but I was completely covered in insulation. Despite me wearing full jumpsuit face and head cover, I was of course itchy as gently caress.

I'm so bitter right now that I don't even know how to handle it.

Edit: I just realized I never got a finished picture :gonk: or a picture of the other side. or over the door. gently caress.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 20, 2017

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm so bitter right now that I don't even know how to handle it.

Edit: I just realized I never got a finished picture :gonk: or a picture of the other side. or over the door. gently caress.

Shower beer, then forget about the hassle because it's in the past.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

cakesmith handyman posted:

Shower beer, then forget about the hassle because it's in the past.

And embrace the rage. I feel like sometimes tedious bullshit jobs like that go faster when I'm powered by hate.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

pr0craztinazn posted:

This is a joke I make sometimes and few end up seeing the humor. It's nice to know that others see this, too.

I fart outside, just before getting in. Then I'd say "phew, thanks to Schindlers Lift, I've escaped the gas'

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Getting annoyed with shitheads at my workplace hitting the company car when parking and not saying anything. The poor car now has a huge scrape up the passenger side front door and front guard. Screw security for making me move it from the lightly trafficked area of the carpark to the general population. Of course trying to find who is hitting the car is like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
My laptop is under a DDOS from four cats

• Locked thread