Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Good to see eugenics making a comeback

https://twitter.com/MarshallProj/status/888071507683024898

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's gonna be great when the kiddies learn about how a president started off his campaign by repeating a long debunked racist conspiracy theory about the then current president.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

:stare:

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

30 days. On top of being completely immoral, that is loving insulting to any inmate.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Never stopped:

quote:

Of the 144 inmates who underwent tubal ligations from fiscal years 2005-06 to 2012-13, auditors found nearly one-third were performed without lawful consent, according to the report released Thursday.

In 27 cases, the inmate's physician — the person who would perform the procedure in a hospital or an alternate physician — did not sign the required consent form asserting that the patient appeared mentally competent and understood the lasting effects of the procedure and that the required waiting period had been satisfied.

In some cases, physicians falsified the consent forms, indicating the proper waiting period had passed when it clearly had not. The audit also said the "true number" of illegal procedures might be higher, noting that it had found seven cases at one hospital for which health records were lost in a routine purging.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.usatoday.com/story/11037129/

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I hear OJ needs a job

There should be a job opening up right about now that would be perfect for him.

Only question is, has he met any Russians?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Rigel posted:

regarding the anti-BDS bill, from what I've read, people are overreacting to it. I mean, yes it is a terrible bill that should have no support, but the reaction from almost every Dem senator when the ACLU came out against is basically "wait, what? The bill really does that? I'll have to look into it, I had no idea."

I don't think it's fair to say that people are overreacting. This kind of pro-Israel, anti-free speech legislation has been making the rounds elsewhere, and has actually be enforced in France. People are right to be freaked out and angry, and the fact that some senators just never bothered to actually read the bill doesn't really make it better.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Trabisnikof posted:

I think Trump presents a real chance to nominate someone human that's not a senator or governor. A small town mayor would even be an amazing candidate if they were human and could run a good campaign. Winning 2020 will be about showing the American people that Democrats are better servants and are more in touch with everyday America. We don't need an existing nation Neal figure to run.

they'd be loving garbage if they were elected though because they wouldnt have any relevant experience to running a country or working with congress

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
What was that Jessica Roy tweet people were laughing about earlier in the thread? Whatever it was, she deleted it and apologized.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
In news scheduled to happen before Nov 2018, Sen Menendez (D-NJ) corruption trial starts in September and Chris Christie would appoint his replacement if Menendez leaves or is removed from office before January.

http://www.politico.com/states/new-jersey/story/2017/07/20/christies-last-big-move-could-be-filling-menendezs-seat-113458

I'm a little unclear on if the new Governor could schedule a special election if Christie refuses to, but Christie could easily appoint a republican who would hold the seat, in the absence of a special election, until the fall election. By law Christie could appoint anyone he likes, including himself.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Paradoxish posted:

People are right to be freaked out and angry, and the fact that some senators just never bothered to actually read the bill doesn't really make it better.

Its not great, I don't think its too much to ask that you understand a bill before cosponsoring, but I'm not at "gently caress these people, they are disqualified for 2020", if it doesn't actually indicate a policy they support.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

awesmoe posted:

they'd be loving garbage if they were elected though because they wouldnt have any relevant experience to running a country or working with congress

As opposed to Obama? What did his legislative experience bring?

They just need to follow W's lead and hire "good" people and listen to them. That's Trump's biggest issue getting poo poo done, is he won't listen to his advisors.

We don't need someone with legislative or foreign policy experience we need someone who can lead and has a vision of this country worth leading us to it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Any lawyer worth their salt can delay a corruption trial 3 or 4 months.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

That new slogan would be improved if they replaced everything after "A Better Deal" with "A Better America".

Comedy option: Replace or add "A Better Tomorrow" :unsmigghh:

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Rigel posted:

regarding the anti-BDS bill, from what I've read, people are overreacting to it. I mean, yes it is a terrible bill that should have no support, but the reaction from almost every Dem senator when the ACLU came out against is basically "wait, what? The bill really does that? I'll have to look into it, I had no idea."

They hadn't studied it, they just saw something that looked innocuous from what seemed to be a pro-Israel group and said "sure, I'll support it." The legislation probably doesn't even discuss horrifying penalties for boycotting, it probably just says "these activities are now added to the list on this subsection", and you have to dig up all the references and discuss it with lawyers before you figure it out.

The ACLU did the hard work and said "hey dumbasses, stop supporting this"

Sorry but the fact that Senators apparently just blindly support what AIPAC puts on their desk no matter how blatantly unconstitutional it is is pretty alarming. It shouldn't require the ACLU for a ridiculous bill like this to be stopped.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Wait, so all I need to do for free birth control is find a crime with a maximum 30 day jail sentence to commit in White County? Finally, Republicans are on board with providing birth control to women.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Aves Maria! posted:

30 days. On top of being completely immoral, that is loving insulting to any inmate.

It says jail, and jails are for sentences that are 1 year or less. "Why yes 30 off of 360 days is totally worth it."

Or if it's like NYC's Rikers Island, you can be in for years waiting for your first court hearing before you're finally found guilty.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Any lawyer worth their salt can delay a corruption trial 3 or 4 months.

But Trump has already hired all the best people! :ohdear:

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

Petr posted:

What was that Jessica Roy tweet people were laughing about earlier in the thread? Whatever it was, she deleted it and apologized.

"My friend's husband died of glioblastoma in AZ. They wrote a letter to McCain begging for his help. He advised them to move"

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What is wrong with this country?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

OH MY loving GOD PLEASE TELL ME THIS IS SATIRE

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Pollyanna posted:

What is wrong with this country?

The world never stopped being a lovely place and a lot of Americans are finally being forced to notice that.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

FourLeaf posted:

Sorry but the fact that Senators apparently just blindly support what AIPAC puts on their desk no matter how blatantly unconstitutional it is is pretty alarming. It shouldn't require the ACLU for a ridiculous bill like this to be stopped.

i understand the other guys point that this may have been way too complicated for senators to parse on their own, but at the same time that just hints at the fact that our government is flying blind with tons of interest groups trying to pass legislation senators don't actually understand at all

that's extremely frightening and kinda blows the idea of republican democracy out of the water. or at least that our government is a republican democracy

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
The United States (especially the south) has always been pretty much pro-eugenics. Only second to a short lived regime in central europe

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Kylra posted:

Wait, so all I need to do for free birth control is find a crime with a maximum 30 day jail sentence to commit in White County? Finally, Republicans are on board with providing birth control to women.

Vasectomy, not tubal ligation. Men aren't whores for wanting birth control, only women are.

Edit: my bad, also gives women an implant. So at least it's equal opportunity eugenics. Women only get temporary control, men can keep it forever unless surgically reversed.

stillvisions fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 20, 2017

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Trabisnikof posted:

As opposed to Obama? What did his legislative experience bring?

They just need to follow W's lead and hire "good" people and listen to them. That's Trump's biggest issue getting poo poo done, is he won't listen to his advisors.

We don't need someone with legislative or foreign policy experience we need someone who can lead and has a vision of this country worth leading us to it.

well he got 23 million people insured for starters

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

stillvisions posted:

Vasectomy, not tubal ligation. Men aren't whores for wanting birth control, only women are.

men are noble for giving up their god given right to procreate

women are harlots for wanting to avoid the consequences of their wanton lust

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

awesmoe posted:

well he got 23 million people insured for starters

That wasn't uniquely because of Obama's legislative experience. That's my point.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Despera posted:

The United States (especially the south) has always been pretty much pro-eugenics. Only second to a short lived regime in central europe

Fun reminder that Nazi Germany was *heavily* inspired by American eugenics

Edit: that poo poo STARTED here. Truly an American art.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

KillHour posted:

So... Obama 2.0? Sounds fine by me.

The difference is that Obama's name was being bounced around a lot in 2004, and there's no equivalent right now. Obama didn't come out of NOWHERE, but he did fly under the radar until he started really doing well in primaries.

Had Bernie had a similar trajectory, maybe he could have won the primary.

I hope for an "out of nowhere" candidate, because it appears that the critical thing to get Democrats to vote is for the party leadership to not have a favorite candidate. If the primary seems fair, the Democrats win in 2020.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Don't worry everybody, the Iowa state fair is next month. I'll report back on who the goon hivemind should support. (only sort of kidding, I assume a ton of Dems will descend upon Des Moines because it matters at least a little bit)

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Though if you are stupid enough to take that deal, probably best you dont breed.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Trabisnikof posted:

That wasn't uniquely because of Obama's legislative experience. That's my point.

his legislative experience helped him come to a solution that would pass, rather than one which sounds snappy and tests well but goes nowhere ("repeal obamacare")

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

awesmoe posted:

his legislative experience helped him come to a solution that would pass, rather than one which sounds snappy and tests well but goes nowhere ("repeal obamacare")

I don't think you can credit Obama for that when it was a bill broker in the Senate. Obama was smart enough to listen to his hired experts, unlike Trump. We don't need a senator or representative to run in 2020 for them to be able to listen to their legislative aids.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Rigel posted:

Don't worry everybody, the Iowa state fair is next month. I'll report back on who the goon hivemind should support. (only sort of kidding, I assume a ton of Dems will descend upon Des Moines because it matters at least a little bit)

Eat five pounds of fried butter.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Trabisnikof posted:

I think Trump presents a real chance to nominate someone human that's not a senator or governor. A small town mayor would even be an amazing candidate if they were human and could run a good campaign. Winning 2020 will be about showing the American people that Democrats are better servants and are more in touch with everyday America. We don't need an existing nation Neal figure to run.

Ladies and gentleman, I present your next President of the United States, John Fetterman.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Despera posted:

Though if you are stupid enough to take that deal, probably best you dont breed.

Yeah also lets make it illegal for girls to have sex with normies and chads so they have to mate with smart intelligences like me and you.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Condiv posted:

i understand the other guys point that this may have been way too complicated for senators to parse on their own, but at the same time that just hints at the fact that our government is flying blind with tons of interest groups trying to pass legislation senators don't actually understand at all

that's extremely frightening and kinda blows the idea of republican democracy out of the water. or at least that our government is a republican democracy

Exactly. If our legislative system is so complicated that Senators rely on whichever interest groups pay them the most to figure out how to write new laws (or maybe it's the other way around...), then this is a sign that serious reform is needed at best.

This is so ridiculous that I'm becoming really curious how other countries' legislative process works. Is a scenario where legislators have no idea what's in the bill they're pushing business as usual in most of the world?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Mustached Demon posted:

Eat five pounds of fried butter.

I'm leaning more towards the "cheesy fried enchilada funnel cake", and maybe cookie dough in a cup for dessert

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/entertainment/dining/2017/07/18/new-iowa-state-fair-foods-2017-have-been-announced/484277001/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

BirdOfPlay posted:

Ladies and gentleman, I present your next President of the United States, John Fetterman.

I'm down.

• Locked thread