Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oni Elem
Jun 1, 2008

Xavier434 posted:

FFXIV noob here. Wife and I have been playing the trial and enjoying it. She plays on the PS4, but wants to play on the PC sometimes too. I want to buy two copies (one for myself on the PC and one for her on the PS4). What I want to know is whether or not she can switch between the PS4 and my PC to play without needing to buy a 3rd copy?

You would need to buy a third copy to do that, licenses are per platform unfortunately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

That sucks...well thanks for making it clear at least.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Wait do the Baldur weapons drop from Gubal Library HM? I was looking at the Baldur Katana and liking it, but the only info I could find only said it dropped from Neverreap and Fractal Continuum.

It drops from Neverreap and Fractal, I just wanted a screenshot in Gubal.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

cheetah7071 posted:

I made an effortpost a long time ago that I'll try to find, but I strongly recommend breaking up the monotony of the 2.x MSQ by doing the ARR content in patch order. That way you only do an hour or two of lovely MSQ interspersed with Hildibrand, dungeons, and (the easy) raids. Roughly:

--snip--

If, at any point, a queue is too long or you just aren't feeling a piece of content, skip it! The purpose of this advice is to prevent the burnout that happens from doing four to six hours of bad plot in a row.

Wowza! I really appreciate it, thanks! I assume there's no problem doing this as a fresh Red Mage (well, apart from the Bard stuff obviously)? The ilvl is twice as high and the job is so cool :swoon:

Speaking of Red Mage, anyone care to share their hotbars/keybindings for the job? I'm trying to find a good way to set them up in a way that makes sense without making the casting or melee string feel awkward, but I'm having some trouble. Kinda fitting for a job known to be a master of none :v: I'm also wondering if I might want to shuffle the UI around a bit to make the procs more visible but I assume I can't mess with the UI for one job without messing it up for the rest? Also which folder/files do I want to backup in case I mess up my UI again?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Your Computer posted:

Wowza! I really appreciate it, thanks! I assume there's no problem doing this as a fresh Red Mage (well, apart from the Bard stuff obviously)? The ilvl is twice as high and the job is so cool :swoon:

Yeah you should be able to just play it as a red mage without issue. You should be somewhere in the 53-54 range when you enter Heavensward, which should smooth over some of the leveling gaps there.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Speaking of Red Mage, anyone care to share their hotbars/keybindings for the job?

I have:

1-4: Jolt II, Veraero, Verthunder, Verflare
Shift 1-4: Impact, Verstone, Verfire, Verholy
E, R, F: Riposte, Zwerchhau, Redoublement
Shift+E and Shift+R: Fleche, Contre Sixte

Mouse 4: Corps-a-corps
Mouse 5: Displacement

It's really just up to what you feel is comfortable. I'm leaving off things like Acceleration and Vercure and stuff because where you find cooldowns/rarely-used heals to be most comfortable is probably more subjective than standard rotational stuff. My general philosophy here was to put similar abilities together: white mana generators on 2, black mana generators on 3, finishers on 4, that kind of thing.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

I made an effortpost a long time ago that I'll try to find, but I strongly recommend breaking up the monotony of the 2.x MSQ by doing the ARR content in patch order. That way you only do an hour or two of lovely MSQ interspersed with Hildibrand, dungeons, and (the easy) raids. Roughly:

Very first:
Bard 50 quest
MSQ through "The Ultimate Weapon

2.0:
First step of the relic (don't go past that!) for the Chimera, Hydra, Ifrit (hard), Gaurda (hard), and Titan (hard) trials
Wanderer's Palace
Amdapor Keep

2.1:
MSQ through "The Gifted"
Hildibrand through "The Immaculate Deception"
Labyrinth of the Ancients
Pharos Sirius
Copperbell Mines (hard)
Haukke Manor (hard)

2.2:
MSQ through "Through the Maelstrom"
Hildibrand through "The Three Collectors"
Lost City of Amdapor
Halatali (hard)
Brayflox's Longstop (hard)

2.3:
MSQ through "Brave New Companions"
Hildibrand through "A Case of Indecency"
Syrcus Tower
Hullbreaker Isle
Stone Vigil (hard)
Tam-Tara Deepcroft (hard)

2.4:
MSQ through "Let Us Cling Together"
Hildibrand through "The Coliseum Conundrum"
Sastasha (hard)
Sunken Temple of Qarn (hard)

2.5:
MSQ through "In Memory of <spoilers>"
Hildibrand through "Her Last Vow"
World of Darkness
Wanderer's Palace (hard)
Amdapor Keep (hard)

2.55:
MSQ through "Before the Dawn"

If, at any point, a queue is too long or you just aren't feeling a piece of content, skip it! The purpose of this advice is to prevent the burnout that happens from doing four to six hours of bad plot in a row.

Don't forget beast tribes!

cheetah7071 posted:

Each service account will need a separate license for each system it plays on. If your wife logs onto the PC install without having paid separately, it won't work.

I have heard that you can straight up plug a USB keyboard and mouse into your PS4 and play it that way, for all it's worth.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Lizard Wizard posted:

Don't forget beast tribes!

I wouldn't really worry about beast tribes while I was in the process of unlocking Heavensward. It's still a month-long grind to max all of them, isn't it?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

I wouldn't really worry about beast tribes while I was in the process of unlocking Heavensward. It's still a month-long grind to max all of them, isn't it?

It's something to break up the MSQ, isn't it?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Countblanc posted:

It drops from Neverreap and Fractal, I just wanted a screenshot in Gubal.

Oh. Darn, Gubal is a lot more palatable than those two.

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

Club Penguin Expats on Excalibur is recruiting a DRG, NIN or MNK for Delta Savage midcore raiding. We raid from 9:00 PM to 1:00 AM EST on Fridays and Saturdays, with a sanity clause to stop early if we're clearly making zero progress a given night. We'd prefer folks who are already 70, already i310 or so, and already have at least some raiding experience, but we're willing to relax these preferences depending on the circumstances. If you're interested, contact me on Discord at kc#5063 for more info.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Oh. Darn, Gubal is a lot more palatable than those two.
Neverreap is really fun to solo, the bosses are kinda tricky but still easily beatable as RDM. Fractal sucks though.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Lizard Wizard posted:

It's something to break up the MSQ, isn't it?

Waiting until 60 has the benefit of not having to wade through hordes of trash mobs on the way to your quest objectives, though.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Don't forget the Coils of Bahamut. You can accomplish them quick, they're fun (mostly), the gear in the last set is good looking, and T13 is still one of the best looking fights in the game. Don't worry about having a group. The mere mention will summon Fister from the aether to deliver 7 goons to you. He's like a weird Coil Angel in that way.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
yeah, but unless you detour to knock out savage second coil you're not allowed to listen to Answers while doing t13

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
you should do coil though, fister's linkshell for coil groups still exists

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I personally recommend waiting until at least 60 to do coil so that you don't spend the entire fight on the ground while the other 7 people beat up the boss. Having more HP helps a lot with surviving not knowing the mechanics.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Countblanc posted:

Neverreap is really fun to solo, the bosses are kinda tricky but still easily beatable as RDM. Fractal sucks though.

I imagine dualcast makes the last boss a lot more palatable. I always suspected that those tornadoes were targeted, but it wasn't until I had to solo the last quarter of its HP bar once that I really started started to hate the dungeon.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

Harrow posted:

I have:

It's really just up to what you feel is comfortable. I'm leaving off things like Acceleration and Vercure and stuff because where you find cooldowns/rarely-used heals to be most comfortable is probably more subjective than standard rotational stuff. My general philosophy here was to put similar abilities together: white mana generators on 2, black mana generators on 3, finishers on 4, that kind of thing.

Wow, this is almost exactly the setup I use as well! I've been VERry happy with it so far.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Countblanc posted:

Yeah I tried fractal and struggled against the first midboss, Neverreap is a lot easier.

Can the non final boss chests drop weapons or should I not bother with them?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah I tried fractal and struggled against the first midboss, Neverreap is a lot easier.

Can the non final boss chests drop weapons or should I not bother with them?

The last chest before the final boss has a chance to have a weapon in it. That's the only other chest in the dungeon that they've kept sticking a potential weapon in aside from the final boss's.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Eopia posted:

I'm gonna need you to refresh my memory because I've done those quests and don't remember that at all.

It's 2 lines of dialogue during the 63 quest. When talking about legends of dragons in the area. They go out of their way to namedrop Seiryu first before going to the quest relevant stuff.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Was working out my WHM glamour earlier and I'm having trouble remembering the name of a pair of healer hands. All I remember is that they looked like giant lanterns on the wrist and google searching isn't being helpful.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

I have:

That makes sense, yeah :v: I think my biggest hurdle might actually be HUD layout, because I find myself spending way too much time looking down at my hotbars to see if I get procs or not (god I miss addons like in WoW.) I messed a little bit with the HUD, and it seems like you at least get a few "slots" for it now so you can keep multiple layouts? That's nice if it works like I think it does, it's new right?

As for the hotkeys, I've kept the same basic hotbar layout for multiple MMOs, dividing it into rotation skills (num, mouse), utility (ctrl/shift+num), buffs/cooldowns(F1-F5) and procs/mobility (surrounding WASD).... but Red Mage has a very different balance of these categories from what I'm used to and it's messing up my system :pram:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Brainamp posted:

Was working out my WHM glamour earlier and I'm having trouble remembering the name of a pair of healer hands. All I remember is that they looked like giant lanterns on the wrist and google searching isn't being helpful.

Sounds like the SCH 200 AF gear. Probably out of luck if that's what you're thinking, since it's job specific.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Sounds like the SCH 200 AF gear. Probably out of luck if that's what you're thinking, since it's job specific.

gently caress, so they are. Thanks for identifying them though.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Brainamp posted:

gently caress, so they are. Thanks for identifying them though.

I call them the Hulk Hands.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I call them the Hulk Hands.

Wootz Knuckles were already FFXIV's Hulk Hands. :colbert:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Is it ever explained why Ilberd's attempt to summon Rhalgr brought about Shinryu instead?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Mordiceius posted:

Is it ever explained why Ilberd's attempt to summon Rhalgr brought about Shinryu instead?

He didn't try to summon Rhalgr specifically. While some of his troops were praying to Rhalgr, Ilberd just wanted a calamity and didn't care how. With Nidhogg's two eyes (full of draconic aether) fueling the summoning, they created a dragon primal.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mordiceius posted:

I think it was less trying to do something specific and more "gently caress everyone".

At most, more evidence that the 12 can't actually be summoned as primals.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Your Computer posted:

That makes sense, yeah :v: I think my biggest hurdle might actually be HUD layout, because I find myself spending way too much time looking down at my hotbars to see if I get procs or not (god I miss addons like in WoW.) I messed a little bit with the HUD, and it seems like you at least get a few "slots" for it now so you can keep multiple layouts? That's nice if it works like I think it does, it's new right?

As for the hotkeys, I've kept the same basic hotbar layout for multiple MMOs, dividing it into rotation skills (num, mouse), utility (ctrl/shift+num), buffs/cooldowns(F1-F5) and procs/mobility (surrounding WASD).... but Red Mage has a very different balance of these categories from what I'm used to and it's messing up my system :pram:

One thing that might help is using a couple of non-shared hotbars in a central location just to track procs/cooldowns. You can set whether hotbars are shared between jobs in Character Configuration. You can put an ability on more than one hotbar, so maybe mirror your procs and cooldowns on another hotbar or two and then put them somewhere more central, like right under where your target bar is, so that they catch your eye when they light up.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
I recently hit 52 as a botanist and have been messing around with collectibles, but I think I'm doing something wrong. All the guides I see say to use "reveal with a hit" to start the rotation, but that doesn't seem to be an actual skill. Are they saying I need to not use that one revealing skill for 300gp and instead manually guess at the out of reach slots?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

EponymousMrYar posted:

The last chest before the final boss has a chance to have a weapon in it. That's the only other chest in the dungeon that they've kept sticking a potential weapon in aside from the final boss's.

Yeah I noticed that one my second run which dropped the Katana, thank goodness. I was managing under 20minute clears on my RDM, but I was starting to wonder how long it would take. Now thanks to that and spending a bit too much on the AH, my Glamourai is completely until I get a better leg piece.

Well, almost complete, I can't pick between Blackflame and Blueflame. :ohdear:

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Umbreon posted:

I recently hit 52 as a botanist and have been messing around with collectibles, but I think I'm doing something wrong. All the guides I see say to use "reveal with a hit" to start the rotation, but that doesn't seem to be an actual skill. Are they saying I need to not use that one revealing skill for 300gp and instead manually guess at the out of reach slots?

Items are always in the same place, so you don't need to guess. But yeah, you just click on the slot to swing at it, and it'll reveal if you have enough gathering.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

He didn't try to summon Rhalgr specifically. While some of his troops were praying to Rhalgr, Ilberd just wanted a calamity and didn't care how. With Nidhogg's two eyes (full of draconic aether) fueling the summoning, they created a dragon primal.

So does that mean the person summoning can summon a primal that even they don't know exists? The Eorzeans had no idea who Shinryu was, but Yugiri knew. It just feels weird that it's not explained how he summoned fourth a primal of a mythic figure from another cultures folklore that he himself was unaware of.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

So does that mean the person summoning can summon a primal that even they don't know exists? The Eorzeans had no idea who Shinryu was, but Yugiri knew. It just feels weird that it's not explained how he summoned fourth a primal of a mythic figure from another cultures folklore that he himself was unaware of.

it could be that he just summoned A Dragon and it happened to fit that myth closer than others, since primals aren't even the actual manifestations of whatever myth they are said to be.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Mordiceius posted:

Shinryu was a name given to it after its summoning based on Doman Legends. The Domans probably would've called Bahamut "Shinyru" too. They just see "Angry dragon god". "Shinryu" was the product of Ilberd wanting to create another calamity as revenge on everyone and his idea of a calamity is influenced by Bahamut's rampage, thus what he created takes the form of an angry dragon god. The fact the largest fuel source was an angry dragon probably helped too.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i don't remember the dialogue exactly, but the impression i got is that ilberd just got a generic gently caress-off powerful dragon, and it was named after something from doman mythology because they were the first to give it a name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I mean, it could've just as easily been named Neo Bahamut with a change in aesthetics if they hadn't wanted to also include Omega.