Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
THERE IT IS

:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

FINALLY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

This is so good

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

hiddenriverninja posted:

Picard having a full head of hair,

Ugh, loving lefty PC culture ruining another great TV show.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I'm in constant delight

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

"I lost consciousness"
"You fell asleep."

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh yeah Guinan had history with him.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Is Deja Q the first time it all comes together? There are good episodes before and after it, but I think it's maybe the first piece of pitch perfect, unadulterated joy in storytelling and sci-fi that you get later in things like Tapestry and Parallels.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I'm not saying much because this episode's so good I don't even want to pause it, but I wonder if it's wise to have Q doing any mission-critical function for Geordi when they're lowering the shields and the energy balls could come back and gently caress him up at any time.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Lol at Q's pouty arm cross

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

Geordie was always emblematic, for me, of some of the inconsistencies. Guy is blind from birth, but they cant develop a way to treat him without a painful visor system? We can rebuild an alien spine but sorry about the migraines Toby. Like maybe he was the edgiest of edge cases but drat.

Tbf the spine regeneration was a brand new untested experimental technique that had like a 50/50 chance of killing you, so it's reasonable to believe they wouldn't have had the technology when Geordi was a kid, and even if they did, there's the ethical problems of doing such a potentially lethal procedure on a child for a non life-threatening disability. And we saw other organs (like Picard's heart) couldn't just be cloned.

The only real problem with Geordi is the very very 80s premise that you can create bioelectric interface to dump signals directly into someone's visual cortex but instead of using a sensor to detect the same wavelengths that human eyes detect and filter out the rest, you'd just dump everything in there from ELF to gamma rays and hope the brain can do something with it. When in reality you'd just do something like this where the first people would get lovely poor resolution black-and-white vision and not superman all-seeing vision that's incredibly awesome but nobody knows how to filter it so you can see a pretty sunset.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jul 20, 2017

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

"You weren't like that before the beard"

Perfect trickster

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Well it's over. And easily my favorite episode so far.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Orv posted:

Is Deja Q the first time it all comes together? There are good episodes before and after it, but I think it's maybe the first piece of pitch perfect, unadulterated joy in storytelling and sci-fi that you get later in things like Tapestry and Parallels.

Manhunt was enjoyable too, because it was hilarious, but it wasn't very deep. This is the first episode where I can't think of any way it could be improved.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Well it's over. And easily my favorite episode so far.

It's always been my favorite Q episode. It's just so much FUN, drat it!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Senor Tron posted:

Tbh it fits with what we know of early Vulcan culture that they would have been hugely racist, so the two groups that became Vulcans and Romulans likely originated on different parts of the planet and didn't intermingle much.
Diane Duane's origin for the Romulans went, from memory, something like this:

Around the time when Surak was doing his thing and it was spreading around, some people weren't interested at all, especially because some Orion slavers showed up (and got owned because they slavenapped a psychically adept Vulcan). So they hosed around with crashed Orion technology and the hardcore anti-Surakites were going to leave on some colony ships with a plan to use some kind of psi-jump thing to make up for having no, or real lovely, warp drive.

The proto-Romulans hosed around and got lost; out of 18 big ol' ships that left, 5 finally limped to a double-planet system where both planets were habitable (hence Romulus and Remus). Along the way all the guys who knew how to do mind melding and other psychic tricks died off, along with a lot of unspoken lore and complex psychic practice, so they just kind of forgot about it while going hog-wild on their new planets.

Anyway, all of that was in like 1100 C.E. The Vulcans resumed being Vulcans, the Romulans slowly expanded for a thousand years while struggling with their chronic backstabbing disorder.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Measure of a Man was also good, in the opposite way of Manhunt, but it had dull or nonsensical parts.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/WilliamShatner/status/887868022928457728

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Jeb! Repetition posted:

THERE HE IS lol

The best part about this is knowing that JDL had no shame and was fully nude in this scene, iirc.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MisterBibs posted:

The best part about this is knowing that JDL had no shame and was fully nude in this scene, iirc.

Everyone is looking him dead in the eye except the blue shirt in the back who's scoping out that god-dick. :shittypop:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'll be in my quarters.

Kelvin Janeway wont exist because her dumb middle America ancestor doesnt convince the guy to sell his book shop and help make the Millennium Tower or whatever, because she dies of Carbon Monoxide poisoning after falling asleep in her car during a bad winter storm.
Kelvin Voyager, as a result, uses The EMH to Kelvinport them all home, leaving the surviving Maquis to make it home in Voyager, which they do in under 4 months.
Unfortunately theyre all tried as war criminals upon their return, as Tuvok loaded a honeypot program into the ship's lifesupport core before leaving, that locks them all in the Holodeck under program LaForge Fairhaven Delta when they near the Alpha Quadrant.

Kelvin Sisko (Now known as Sisqo) always had the bitching Goatee.

VitalSigns posted:

Tbf the spine regeneration was a brand new untested experimental technique that had like a 50/50 chance of killing you, so it's reasonable to believe they wouldn't have had the technology when Geordi was a kid, and even if they did, there's the ethical problems of doing such a potentially lethal procedure on a child for a non life-threatening disability. And we saw other organs (like Picard's heart) couldn't just be cloned.
Which makes me wonder if their god computer a d holodeck can be used to speed medical research along.
"Computer, read all files pertaining to Experimental Klingon Spine Graft Crusher-Roshenko. Design a holographic medical research bay to increase effectiveness, safety and improve survivability. Set time variant to 5x normal time flow. Ping me with the results in an hour"

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jul 20, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

*ping* "The holodeck has achieved sentience" "Again?!"

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

So it never explained what caused the moon's orbit to degrade did it?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

So it never explained what caused the moon's orbit to degrade did it?

A Q did it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Obviously the result of a large celestial object passing through at near right angles to the plane of the star system. Probably a black hole. 

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Worf saying "die" to Q is only outdone by Q replying with "eat any good books lately?".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The DS9 Q episode gave me Doctor Who vibes, complete with a feisty female companion he's having a messy sort-of-breakup with, and souvenirs from bizarre adventures in space-time.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MikeJF posted:

*ping* "The holodeck has achieved sentience" "Again?!"

Real holographic simulated Evil Lincoln is back!!

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Jeb! Repetition posted:

THERE HE IS lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmMKRYH0jb4

(Yes, they're back up on YT somehow)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Woof.

https://twitter.com/jonathansfrakes/status/888114837917650948

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I like Frakes. I don't care what you say.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Looks fine

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
I like it. Nice update on the original art deco design. The communicator isn't bad either but I wish they showed it off like the phaser and not in a animated video tweet.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I apologize if these are old hat, but this is a good series of .gifs

http://randar.com/post/163013633946/shatner-vs-gorn

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
There's a bunch of info on the new Klingons at the SDCC booth but I can't be bothered to share the link because the designs are so awful and generic. They look like rejected Game of Thrones designs.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

This is all I can think of
https://twitter.com/JebBush/status/699706718419345408

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zei3xnivwFk

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

This looks pretty hefty, I like it.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

http://io9.gizmodo.com/these-discovery-props-reveal-a-ton-about-star-treks-new-1797102750

More here.

I will grudgingly admit they are at least making a stab at having the props look somewhat TOS era, if not Cage era:

On the other hand,

BLASPHEME

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Astroman posted:

On the other hand,

BLASPHEME

Hmmm...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Okay, fine, the insignia pins with ranking pips look cool, I'll give them that much.