Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Yeah there's a lot more Netflix shows but they tend to be just decent on average. Amazon has a lot less but they're generally pretty good on average. Also Amazon has Patriot. Mozart in the Jungle definitely is a fun show and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

A MIRACLE posted:

never seen anyone post about it here but Mozart in the Jungle is a fun show to watch

It won the Golden Globe for best comedy series. I love the cast, but I watched the first 2 episodes and just could not get into it. Is it one of those shows that don't get good until like episode 8? Or is it just not for me?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Netflix has been just making GBS threads out shows at a crazy pace and it feels like "here's another one, throw it on the pile." Amazon has a few clunkers too but there's a lot less to wade through to find the good stuff. Also they have A24 films which is good as hell.

Also I finished Goliath and really liked it. I'm not usually a Billy Bob Thorton fan but I really liked his character in this. At first it seemed like they were going for the tired "heartless bastard who does the right thing in the end" thing but his character wasn't really that at all and I found it refreshing. Patty also really grew on me, and almost all of the characters seemed like real, three dimensional people, probably because the acting was so strong.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jul 21, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Although William Hurt was given a kinda dumb role to play, there's a scene around episode 3 or 4 where he's talking to his Lead Counsel guy and he goes "Am I really that intimidating?" and slowly holds out his little thing and does one solitary "CLICK" and they both kind of chuckle about it and it was great.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I had been avoiding Master of None because I expected it to be a lot like Aziz' work in Parks and Rec but I tried it and it blew away my expectations. It's like a much more thoughtful, much less pretentious Louis. The scene in the cab as Dev drops Franchesca off at the hotel, realizes their amazing evening has given him a chance with her, doesn't capitalize on it either because he doesn't want to risk their friendship or because he's a pussy, and then lets you read the tragedy off his face on the long ride home just devastated me.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Michael Boltons Valentine Day Special is still one of the funniest things ever, even when rewatching it in July

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Human Tornada posted:

Netflix has been just making GBS threads out shows at a crazy pace and it feels like "here's another one, throw it on the pile."
They dilute their brand by labeling both actual originals and shows that are just exclusives as "Netflix Originals." I could have sworn that Top of the Lake was labeled a Netflix Original but it's only on Hulu now.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh my God you guys Riverdale is fantastic

"Like an extra in a Wes Anderson movie..." Donnie "Jughead" Darko owns

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

drunken officeparty posted:

Michael Boltons Valentine Day Special is still one of the funniest things ever, even when rewatching it in July

It's pretty damned good

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Man was Okja disappointingly boring with a really erratic tone (and I'm not a stranger to South Korean cinema where flip flopping tonality seems to be more common). What a waste of some really good actors. Tilda Swinton and Jack Gyllenhaal are bad in this.

I'll give credit where credit was due. Paul Dano was really great and I liked the South Korea pig chase, but that's about it.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

It's pretty damned good

You want me to kill the elves

*cocks gun*

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

drunken officeparty posted:

You want me to kill the elves

*cocks gun*

For a moment there I thought Bright was out already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EZCBSsBxko

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I don't know if it's been mentioned but UK Netflix has the full series "The Legend of Bruce Lee" it seems like a fun series, the subtitles are a bit hosed up though and not much care was taken to avoid having modern brand names appear.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Filthy Hans posted:

I had been avoiding Master of None because I expected it to be a lot like Aziz' work in Parks and Rec but I tried it and it blew away my expectations. It's like a much more thoughtful, much less pretentious Louis. The scene in the cab as Dev drops Franchesca off at the hotel, realizes their amazing evening has given him a chance with her, doesn't capitalize on it either because he doesn't want to risk their friendship or because he's a pussy, and then lets you read the tragedy off his face on the long ride home just devastated me.

Pretty much what I said on the previous page (I did the same thing). The ending of that episode is amazing, but what is even more amazing was the next episode (New York, I love You). You bounce from all these characters like you are watching Linklater's Slacker or something, and you don't see a regular cast member until last 5 seconds of the episode. Also the Thanksgiving episode was perfect. The only thing I didn't like is how they handled Chef Jeff, but no biggie.. The most shocking part of Master of None (to me) was how relatable it was. So many scenes (like the one you speak of) just resonated with me.

Maybe it is because I watched season 1 and 2 back to back, but I think Master of None is the best show I've watched this year. I normally don't say that about a comedy since I prefer dramas, but Master of None straddled the line of a comedy-drama perfectly.

tweet my meat posted:

Yeah there's a lot more Netflix shows but they tend to be just decent on average. Amazon has a lot less but they're generally pretty good on average. Also Amazon has Patriot. Mozart in the Jungle definitely is a fun show and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

When I look at my possible top 10 of 2017 Netflix already has 3 originals on it (Love, GLOW, and Master of None). Amazon? Nothing. I have yet seen an Amazon show I found amazing. While I liked Goliath, it felt like too much like a network television series that was edited to be uncensored. I will be watching season 2 , but it is a pure David Kelley show (which is not too bad of a thing).

To be fair I haven't watched Patriot (I will correct that soon). I am just surprised people think Amazon originals compare to Netflix. I can understand if you are doing an average, but I find Netflix top shows vastly superior. Please prove me wrong (I need new shows to watch since I am caught up on almost everything now).

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

precision posted:

Oh my God you guys Riverdale is fantastic

"Like an extra in a Wes Anderson movie..." Donnie "Jughead" Darko owns
I've heard it described as a mix of a teen drama and Twin Peaks. The teen drama part doesn't really excite me, but maybe somebody can convince me...

---------

Everything I've heard about Master of None makes it sound super depressing. Is there more to it than pointing out realistic awkward situations with no simple solutions?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

david_a posted:

I've heard it described as a mix of a teen drama and Twin Peaks. The teen drama part doesn't really excite me, but maybe somebody can convince me...

The teen drama part is bad, but if you look at it in a campy way you can get past it. It tries to mix in Twin Peaks, but it is nothing like Twin Peaks (reminds me of how people said Wayward Pines was like Twin Peaks). Teenage murder, small town, and wanna be weird characters (they don't compare to Lynch characters) are all there. Still in the end it is not that weird or strange. That said I still enjoyed it, but it is not even close to great tv. If you enjoy 'camp' (it is the only way I watched True Blood) you might like it. If not, pass.

david_a posted:

---------

Everything I've heard about Master of None makes it sound super depressing. Is there more to it than pointing out realistic awkward situations with no simple solutions?

It is fresh, original, and funny. Yes it does get sad sometimes, but not that often (and even then I never once found it really depressing). More important it always feels earned. Give an episode a spin (they are only half hour), and you will get the vibe. That said it does get a lot better as it goes. Season 2 has some of the best episodes I have seen in years.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jul 21, 2017

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

nate fisher posted:

When I look at my possible top 10 of 2017 Netflix already has 3 originals on it (Love, GLOW, and Master of None). Amazon? Nothing. I have yet seen an Amazon show I found amazing. While I liked Goliath, it felt like too much like a network television series that was edited to be uncensored. I will be watching season 2 , but it is a pure David Kelley show (which is not too bad of a thing).

To be fair I haven't watched Patriot (I will correct that soon). I am just surprised people think Amazon originals compare to Netflix. I can understand if you are doing an average, but I find Netflix top shows vastly superior. Please prove me wrong (I need new shows to watch since I am caught up on almost everything now).

If it doesn't click for you, it doesn't click.

Some originals I liked: Patriot, Long Strange Trip (6 hour grateful dead documentary that's superb even if you don't like the band), Catastrophe (they coproduce it with Channel 4 but it's still great), All or Nothing (NFL Films documentary, once it gets into the sport and behind the scenes instead of goofy reality show poo poo, it's good), season 2 of Red Oaks (season 1 was a really terrible comedy that leaned entirely on 80s stereotypes while season 2 actually came into its own as a show and became a show about characters that happen to live in the 80s)

Also Tick and JCVD are coming out soon.

I think the biggest thing about Amazon's selection is if a certain aspect of their programming hits for you, it hits hard. None of their shows have gotten universal praise like Stranger Things has gotten. (But their movie division is much stronger)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jul 21, 2017

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
In Master of None the scene where the deaf woman is signing 'vagina' and then the kids start signing it is somehow just the funniest loving thing to me. Maybe I'm simple.

Also, with Amazon Prime, the first season of The Man in the High Castle is pretty good, and the second season actually easily strolls into 'Great' territory. The love triangle is easily the weakest part of season one, and they fix that by having the 3 people involved on separate coasts/countries

enigmahfc fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 21, 2017

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

precision posted:

Although William Hurt was given a kinda dumb role to play, there's a scene around episode 3 or 4 where he's talking to his Lead Counsel guy and he goes "Am I really that intimidating?" and slowly holds out his little thing and does one solitary "CLICK" and they both kind of chuckle about it and it was great.

I'm six episodes into Goliath, and my only gripe is the antagonists. Got better after ep 3-4, though. Mostly.

Earlier someone called them cartoonish, and that's my feel. Like Inspector Gadget levels of characterization. Which is weird because William Hurt and the middle-aged lady lawyer have shown better chops. Just written poorly, I guess. The dark haired thug guy is pretty bad.

If someone told me it was a comic book adaptation I wouldn't be surprised.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

A MIRACLE posted:

I'm regretting my Seeso membership. I've watched pretty much all of their original programming and they are just not producing enough new shows to justify the monthly subscription. Maybe if it was $1.99 or something

I was thinking that would happen when they unveiled it. This oversegmenting of the content platform isn't sustainable. If I wanted a million different "channels" full of stuff I didn't want to watch 80% of the time, well, I'd just get cable again. Its disappointment delivery system is so much more streamlined!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I watched Okja when it came out and i've been a vegetarian ever since because I'm apparently a sentimental sap with easily tugged heartstrings.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
I forgot Dwight Yoakam was in Goliath. Man I wish that guy acted more. He's great.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

fishtobaskets posted:

I forgot Dwight Yoakam was in Goliath. Man I wish that guy acted more. He's great.

Yeah he's really swell in it.

Shanty posted:

For a moment there I thought Bright was out already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EZCBSsBxko

You know I had my doubts but I'm kind of thinking this is going to actually be great, even if it ends up being "literally End of Watch with Elves"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

fishtobaskets posted:

I am kinda curious about his acting career. I was annoyed by him in Sling Blade, but he clearly does have something going for him.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
.... Karl?

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Bright looks pretty cool to me. Seeing the human / non-human cop duo brings back memories of Alien Nation... now there's a show I'd love to see get a modern treatment.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I am kinda curious about his acting career. I was annoyed by him in Sling Blade, but he clearly does have something going for him.

He was remarkably good in Panic Room.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Oh yeah, you're right. He's been in more stuff I've seen and I've barely noticed him apparently.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

fishtobaskets posted:

I'm just now learning the Doc from Crank is a musician.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

nate fisher posted:

Amazon? Nothing. I have yet seen an Amazon show I found amazing. While I liked Goliath, it felt like too much like a network television series that was edited to be uncensored. I will be watching season 2 , but it is a pure David Kelley show (which is not too bad of a thing).

I really like Catastrophe. And Carrie Fisher was just nominated for an Emmy for her role on the show.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

I thought he was terrifyingly believable in Sling Blade. It's one of the most authentic portrayals of a classic abuser I think I've ever seen in a film because it wasn't black and white. Doyle had a handful of scenes where he was pleasant and charming or ashamed and apologetic and I was just in awe of how Yoakam pulled that off.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Call Me Charlie posted:

All or Nothing (NFL Films documentary

I noticed this the other day (and couldn't believe I hadn't noticed it before) and yeah after the initial couple episodes of setup per season, it gets really great, especially if you don't follow football closely enough to already know which games they win and which they lose (I'm a college football guy)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

fishtobaskets posted:

I thought he was terrifyingly believable in Sling Blade. It's one of the most authentic portrayals of a classic abuser I think I've ever seen in a film because it wasn't black and white. Doyle had a handful of scenes where he was pleasant and charming or ashamed and apologetic and I was just in awe of how Yoakam pulled that off.

Sling Blade's a fantastic movie. I agree, and I should clarify, I just felt his Dwight Yoakam-yness was very conspicuous, very much like Harry Connick Jr, if that makes sense. But apparently, since he's been in other stuff I've seen and I didn't even notice him, I wonder if toning it down was a good thing.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Oh yeah, you're right. He's been in more stuff I've seen and I've barely noticed him apparently.

Sounds like good acting

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The latest Tim Burton joint has hit HBO streaming apps (Prime has a free 7 day trial if you want to also binge through Veep, which I suggest you do). Mrs. Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children aka "Gothic Mary Poppins is Professor X vs. Samuel L Jackson as Magneto". Wife and I really enjoyed it, despite not loving much of Burton's more recent work (but she has a tattoo of Sally from Nightmare Before Christmas so... yeah big fan of the older stuff).

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

precision posted:

The latest Tim Burton joint has hit HBO streaming apps (Prime has a free 7 day trial if you want to also binge through Veep, which I suggest you do). Mrs. Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children aka "Gothic Mary Poppins is Professor X vs. Samuel L Jackson as Magneto". Wife and I really enjoyed it, despite not loving much of Burton's more recent work (but she has a tattoo of Sally from Nightmare Before Christmas so... yeah big fan of the older stuff).

This was better than I expected. It had a neat atmosphere. Still, I thought it was goofy how ineffectual all of the villains were. If you're going to build up your villains, please make them even a little competent.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Eva Green was so great in it as usual. She's like 90% of the reason I recommend Penny Dreadful.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Rough Lobster posted:

Tilda Swinton and Jack Gyllenhaal are bad in this.

Dude, what.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I'm expecting Bright to be bad, but I'm wholeheartedly hoping that it's amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Is there anything like The Night Of on US Netflix? I've already seen and mostly enjoyed Top of the Lake and both seasons of Broadchurch.