Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

mastajake posted:

Wait, really? All that's stopping it is precedence and ~~~decorum~~~? gently caress that. If he's breaking every norm that should have been a law in the first place, the oppositions should feel free to do the same.

Like 90%of our political system seems to be tradition, and not law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

At some point you have to not worry about the weird edges of polls.

I'm referring to how the diehard Trump supporters in red states that have convinced the Senate that Trump is perma-innocent.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Caros posted:

In a 5 to 4 decision...

I don't know about the rest of them, but I feel like this sort of thing is exactly the kind of case where Roberts would do the not-poo poo thing. Even more than conservative orthodoxy, Roberts cares about his legacy as Chief Justice. I don't think that he would want to go down in history as the guy who cast the deciding vote in favor of "actually the president and his administration can commit any crimes they want with no consequences". He's more than willing to come down on the lovely side for non-legacy-defining things, of course, but this would be the most important court case since at least Marbury and I don't think that's an exaggeration. It'd literally decide if we still have a republic or not.

Alito and Gorsuch would probably do the lovely thing, and Thomas is capable of voting any which way based on his bizarre philosophy, but I don't think Roberts wants to be that guy.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

"I'm a free man on the land - I do not consent - I DO NOT CONSENT, you may not search my finances! It can't be treason if it's on a freeway!"

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Trump wants a talk-radio host to be the USDA’s chief scientist

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Sloober posted:

Like 90%of our political system seems to be tradition, and not law.

The founders of our babby country never thought an actual babby would be in complete control!
HOW WAS THIS ADMINISTRATION FORMED.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Blitz7x posted:

I am firmly on the Nothing Matter brigade train because I don't trust blue check Twitter people saying things like "Trump reportedly asking aides if treason is against the law"

His son tried to scoop the NYT by self implicating himself on Twitter and Trump himself got goaded by Lester Holt into admitting to obstruction of justice. The only thing shocking about him asking if he can self pardon is that it took until July for him to do it.

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
There's two types of contempt, broadly. Criminal code contempt and/or summary contempt, which are criminal and subject to pardon. This is pissing off a judge in court. Doesn't happen all that often, and if it does, usually a sign the judge is awful.

The second is the violation of a court order, which renders one in contempt. Contempt of court can be punished financially or by injunction or enjoinder or by imprisonment, depending.

Contempt of Congress is not really a thing by itself. What happens if step 2 is to go to an art 3 judge, get a court order compelling testimony or production of docs or whatever, then that judge will find folks in contempt for noncompliance. That's the difference between the Eric holder stunt and the year Pete Seeger spent in federal jail.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Fraction Jackson posted:

I don't know about the rest of them, but I feel like this sort of thing is exactly the kind of case where Roberts would do the not-poo poo thing. Even more than conservative orthodoxy, Roberts cares about his legacy as Chief Justice. I don't think that he would want to go down in history as the guy who cast the deciding vote in favor of "actually the president and his administration can commit any crimes they want with no consequences". He's more than willing to come down on the lovely side for non-legacy-defining things, of course, but this would be the most important court case since at least Marbury and I don't think that's an exaggeration. It'd literally decide if we still have a republic or not.

Alito and Gorsuch would probably do the lovely thing, and Thomas is capable of voting any which way based on his bizarre philosophy, but I don't think Roberts wants to be that guy.

Oh I agree. I was just poking fun. I don't think the court wants to be in the position where they give cover to a president who is trying to evade prison.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Can a pardon protect you from asset forfeiture?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

fsif posted:

I'm referring to how the diehard Trump supporters in red states that have convinced the Senate that Trump is perma-innocent.

Yeah, I guess, but as you push any poll more and more towards 100% you get more and more resistance from "actually not everyone is just normal people".

Like 35% isn't the ceiling or anything, but as you get lower and lower you get more and more crazy nonsense. Like you could ask a basic question like "do you eat food" and get 99.99% but still not quite make it to 100% since a few people have feeding tubes or whatever.

Like when a poll says "an overwhelming majority think X" just go with that and don't worry too much about the collection of weirdos that produce the small side, it'll be a lot of stuff that just isn't relevant. More and more so the closer to 100 you creep.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Will the man make a tweet

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Spaced God posted:

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/888207187142725634
Ahahahahahaha he's so hosed.

I'm excited for him to pardon himself, and then realize he has to spill the beans on everything or go to jail for perjury

So if Mueller sees Trump was lazy about evading taxes, can't he just give the info to the NY AG even if the IRS couldn't go after him? Or would state tax fraud still be a Federal crime?

It's not surprising that our country's so hosed up that when white cops murder minorities in cold blood we pull out all the stops to protect the cop but when the race/gender is reversed so is the reaction.

Condiv posted:

could trump pardon contempt of congress?

Yes but Congress just makes that person come back. If Trump pardons again then they can go back and forth until Congress either gives up or impeaches the president.

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

surely the senate is getting to the point where they should be thinking "okay gently caress trump let's go with pence"

im not saying that's better but dear god man.

They aren't. Even if they were the GOP knows that their MAGA hat-wearing white wing has enough crazies in it that if they remove Trump from office there is is a very real risk of some neo nazi militia rear end in a top hat(s) coming after them and their families for being anti-American RINO traitors.

If Trump were actually impeached I'd be legit amazed if none of his crazy die hard fans response with deadly violence.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Impeaching Trump is a surefire Democrat wave in 2018 as opposed to a very likely one. No way congressional Republicans move on him

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

KickerOfMice posted:

The founders of our babby country never thought an actual babby would be in complete control!
HOW WAS THIS ADMINISTRATION FORMED.

they need to do way instain trumper>

who kill thier babby

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Google Butt posted:

Considering you don't even have to be charged with a crime to have your assets seized, no.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Google Butt posted:

Are you white and previously wealthy or well connected?

I'm pretty sure the pardon wouldn't apply in most cases as the property is charged and not the person. Therefore the property would have to be pardoned as well? It's most likely simpler to follow the rule above.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Google Butt posted:

The secret is to preemptively pardon your 6,745 lbs of Trump Steaks.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Blitz7x posted:

Impeaching Trump is a surefire Democrat wave in 2018 as opposed to a very likely one. No way congressional Republicans move on him

Republican donors are saying no more money unless we get massive tax cuts. If Trump's scandals get in the way of that, then President Pence looks better and better.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

fsif posted:

These people are going to be amazing if the republicans actually turn on him, because these people are loyal to TRUMP moreso then the GOP.
Hell, im not even entirely convinced McConnell is going to touch a full repeal bill and its just an empty threat, because trump and his base already announced they will go after anyone who votes against it

This party feels like its on the edge of tearing itself apart. Next few weeks going to be entertaining, to say the least.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

Google Butt posted:

I would love for Trump Tower to get asset-seized, auctioned off, and sold to Mark Cuban, who would promptly rename it the Jill Harth Building.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I'm pretty sure the pardon wouldn't apply in most cases as the property is charged and not the person. Therefore the property would have to be pardoned as well? It's most likely simpler to follow the rule above.

If I understand correctly the forfeiture cases we normally think about, the ones with the funny names, are civil cases and are not subject to pardon.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Secret Agent X23 posted:

I would love for Trump Tower to get asset-seized, auctioned off, and sold to Mark Cuban, who would promptly rename it the Jill Harth Building.

I would prefer it gets turned into housing for refugee families.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Tengames posted:

This party feels like its on the edge of tearing itself apart.

-Goons, November 8th, 2016

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Now I want to see the President pardon Trump Tower for money laundering, conspiracy to commit treason, and involuntary manslaughter.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Blitz7x posted:

If Mueller has come forward with all kinds of stuff that necessitates impeaching him and the republicans refuse to, then 2018 should become a referendum on whether we are gonna impeach trump or not. Hopefully they won't be able to cheat again.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Blitz7x posted:

If you hold this election, a great grand party will be destroyed. :v:

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

ponzicar posted:

I would prefer it gets turned into housing for refugee families.

The Jill Harth House for Refugee Families.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Blitz7x posted:

Yeah, if there's one thing republicans (voters and politicians) do better than anyone, it's solidify as one behind an idea and push with all their might, whether it be a hilariously fictional idea or not.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Blitz7x posted:

No, they were really united against hiillary hate back then, we just naively assumed such blind hate wouldnt let them win.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah, I guess, but as you push any poll more and more towards 100% you get more and more resistance from "actually not everyone is just normal people".

Like 35% isn't the ceiling or anything, but as you get lower and lower you get more and more crazy nonsense. Like you could ask a basic question like "do you eat food" and get 99.99% but still not quite make it to 100% since a few people have feeding tubes or whatever.

Like when a poll says "an overwhelming majority think X" just go with that and don't worry too much about the collection of weirdos that produce the small side, it'll be a lot of stuff that just isn't relevant. More and more so the closer to 100 you creep.

There's also a base level of people that just make up poo poo when the answer. A great example of this is the comedy questions PPP includes in their polls like whether you support bombing Agrabah or not.

There is no position, no matter how stupid and completely nonsensical,that someone won't say they agree with in a poll.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Donnie's going to be pissed in a year or two when his McD and KFC have no real meat.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Junior Attorney: "Sir, this is a huge case. You're going to need a very,very senior attorney to handle this."

Trump: "A big league lawyer?"

JA: "Yes, sir. Big league."

Trump: "You got it"

WaPo posted:

On Monday, lawyer Ty Cobb, newly brought into the White House to handle responses to the Russian probe,

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

PhazonLink posted:

Donnie's going to be pissed in a year or two when his McD and KFC have no real meat.

Fool! Twill be the meat of poors! :discourse:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/AshleyRParker/status/888208243075547137

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Who is trump's "senior team" if not Sessions

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Who is trump's "senior team" if not Sessions

Kushner

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

maybe sessions views it as his last chance to gently caress over the "drug users" and put them in his place. or maybe he realizes he is hosed anyway.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
It appears that The Wife of Shinzo Abe pretended not to be able to speak english while seated next to Trump at the G20.
http://boingboing.net/2017/07/20/ja...campaign=buffer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

I think he might be saying "you want me to resign? Fire me!"

• Locked thread