Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

SomeMathGuy posted:

Okay, fine, the insignia pins with ranking pips look cool, I'll give them that much.

It's so inspiring to know that people live long full lives after having their taste amputated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

My hot take - I don't give a gently caress how the phasers/uniforms/pips look as long as the show is good, but we already know that it won't be cause lol CBS All Access.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
The rank pips just make it extra busy. Takes those off and its fine.

I wonder if we'll get a band of the week in the mess hall at the end of an episode.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

MisterBibs posted:

The best part about this is knowing that JDL had no shame and was fully nude in this scene, iirc.

I was about to write "there's no conceivable way" but I'll amend it to "very, very unlikely." There are all kinds of union rules about being naked on a TV or film set. He'd have been wearing nude underwear or a posing pouch or something.

Putting the rank pips on the chest badge is just, ugh. It's not hideous but it's dumb and impractical. Armies have been communicating rank with sleeve braid, sleeve patches and epaulettes for centuries, and it works fine. Imagine the modern army if rank designation was by lapel pin. Every encounter is "lean forward, squint, back up, salute".

shadok fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 21, 2017

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I like the props, the tricorder and communicator give me wrath of khan vibes and that's good

The badges are stupid though, they'd still look stupid if this were post TNG but at least they'd look more fitting in that context

e: the klingon stuff looks like my poop, holy poo poo really?

Tighclops fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 21, 2017

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

No one seems to remember this version of the delta insignia because it has the trifecta of Voyager, time travel, and Geordi. I actually dig it though.

https://youtu.be/-tQBxxfLvz0

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Tighclops posted:

I like the props, the tricorder and communicator give me wrath of khan vibes and that's good

Yeah, the props are great. Especially like the return of the Type I and Type II phaser combo (I assume the Type I detaches like it used to).

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Trip report: DS9 season 3, episode 11 "Past Tense, part 1"

Nice TRS-80. Also, nice Mac font everywhere. It must be THE FUTURE. I felt like I was watching a slightly higher budget Time Chasers.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I guess while I'm at it, episode 10 "Fascination"

When did Gene rise from the grave to write a DS9 episode? Did Voyager and Enterprise have their own re-re-reduxes of "The Naked Time" or did they give up on it by then?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Man I love that this new prequel series is being cooked up — one that will anchor a new streaming service devoted to the sci-fi franchise.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Arglebargle III posted:

It's so inspiring to know that people live long full lives after having their taste amputated.

I just really like how they blend the old TOS insignias with some modern design decisions and went with that slightly asymmetrical look, and frankly at this point I'm begging for scraps.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
The insignia with pips on it looks like it'd be a bitch to read from a distance.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Wow, this makes All Access look like a good idea. Who do they think they are kidding?

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Stargate is just XCOM with portals. Give me an XCOM TV series or a Stargate XCOM mod.

I like the new Discovery props a lot. That phaser in particular looks like it's heavy enough to brain someone with once the charge runs out. Rugged gear for a rugged time.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Watched A Matter of Perspective. It's not as good as Rashomon, obviously, but the central mystery was good. It just kind of plodded and none of the actors were able to carry the intensity of the drama. Even Riker was off his game.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The Golden Age of Television is shaping up to be the Gatekept Age of Premium Content. 20 years ago, you could buy basic cable and see all your favorite scifi tv shows--hell, most of them were in syndication on over the air networks.

Now if you like 10 shows, you're paying :10bux: a month X10, plus your ISP fees and possibly cable if you haven't cord cut.

Progress! :suicide:

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

shadok posted:

I was about to write "there's no conceivable way" but I'll amend it to "very, very unlikely." There are all kinds of union rules about being naked on a TV or film set. He'd have been wearing nude underwear or a posing pouch or something.

In ze nude
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nHRAlv7Vx4&t=1074s

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Delsaber posted:

Stargate is just XCOM with portals. Give me an XCOM TV series or a Stargate XCOM mod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CvURidpkCY

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
I'm like 500 posts behind on this thread but I'm making a pretty safe bet that TOS:"That Which Survives" has not been discussed lately...

So I've been watching and listening to it live on air (the Decades Channel actually, not Heroes and Icons), and yeah it's mostly a pretty bad one, BUT, it does have a lot of some excellent (and all too rare) Spock/Scotty interaction. Scotty (talking to Spock) explicitly downgrades his own "feeling" about how the engines felt, saying that Spock wouldn't understand, to which Spock replies: "I *note* it, Mr Scott, without necessarily understanding it, and blah blah logic logic it should still be taken into consideration."

Then later on they exchange some banter while Scotty fools around within the Jeffries Tube and says it feels like ants are crawling all over him and Spock says "stfu and reverse the polarity Mister Scott... also we have almost no time left whatsover" and Scotty mutters something about goddamned Vulcans.* It was pretty funny and more or less true to form.

Ok well that ep's over, now it's that super horrible one with the psychedelic entity thing that takes over some physicist something and they shoo the entity away by using a hypo (hyper?) baric chamber. Dubya.Tee. Effin'. Eff...

Blughghgh a terribly bad ep , gonna change the channel now.

*Something about not needing a bloody alarm clock, I think.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

shadok posted:

Putting the rank pips on the chest badge is just, ugh. It's not hideous but it's dumb and impractical. Armies have been communicating rank with sleeve braid, sleeve patches and epaulettes for centuries, and it works fine. Imagine the modern army if rank designation was by lapel pin. Every encounter is "lean forward, squint, back up, salute".

That's already how it is in the military. The army has their rank on a small patch on the front of their uniform. So you have to stare at their chest to make sure it's not an officer rank. You're hosed if it's a warrant officer because it's just an outline of a bar with a tiny square on it. The marines are kind of easy because officers have shiny things on their uniform. The Air Force is usually ok because enlisted has big stripes on the sleeves, and officers have their rank on their lapel, or epaulets. The navy is just totally hosed. Good luck telling a chief from an officer if they are wearing their dress whites. And you can't even go by the shiny/not shiny rule because everyone has their rank on their lapel in one uniform, or everyone has shiny rank on their epaulets in another uniform.

If this insignia is the only thing that tells the ranks apart, it is going to get really confusing. Not that anyone cares about what rank someone is anyway. No one uses ranks when talking about their favorite Star Trek characters.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Not that anyone cares about what rank someone is anyway.

You are right for the most part, but the ones that did focus on rank, like Lower Decks or Part 1 of Best of Both Worlds, were really interesting. It was interesting to still see a push for advancement in a society where there's no monetary reason to do so. In fact, getting promoted seems like it would be more hazardous for your health in many cases.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Just bring back the TOS golden wrist braid.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

MikeJF posted:

Just bring back the TOS golden wrist braid.

Well I will be God damned.

I actually checked, and it turns out The Cage uniforms did NOT use the multi-wrist braid to differentiate rank as did the 2260s uniforms. As far as I can tell (and correct me if I'm wrong), everyone had one gold band on the sleeves which seems to be purely decorative. I can't see how they showed rank on the uniforms at all. poo poo, maybe there were tiny bumps on the chest insignia.

You win this time, Discovery! :bahgawd:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

No one uses ranks when talking about their favorite Star Trek characters.

Ahem, I think you'll find it's Captain Jean-Luc Picard, of the USS Enterprise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6oUz1v17Uo&t=13s

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tunicate posted:

Ahem, I think you'll find it's Captain Jean-Luc Picard, of the USS Enterprise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6oUz1v17Uo&t=13s

I hope everybody in this thread knows what this link is before clicking it

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Watching Yesterday's Enterprise. I heard this one's good. Guinan just gave Worf prune juice for regularity.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Worf just threw his head back and laughed uproariously in a way he never has before. It was startling

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Literally the only bad thing about Yesterday's Enterprise is that they didn't do it with Kirk as the story to Generations

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Wwwwwwhadafuh

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Is that her?

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

hiddenriverninja posted:

No one seems to remember this version of the delta insignia because it has the trifecta of Voyager, time travel, and Geordi. I actually dig it though.

https://youtu.be/-tQBxxfLvz0

Those showed up in a few other episodes, notably All Good Things and The Visitor. They don't show rank though
:goonsay:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I don't know if I'm ready for this

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I don't know if I'm ready for this

Don't worry, Shooter McGavon will be there to ease the way.

:swoon:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

What is going on

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

What is going on

Amazing things.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

cheetah7071 posted:

Literally the only bad thing about Yesterday's Enterprise is that they didn't do it with Kirk as the story to Generations

No the bad thing about Yesterday's Enterprise is they ruined it dozens of episodes later with Redemption pt. 1

But Jeb doesn't need to know that

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

There's so much happening. Are the 22 year old uniforms from the original series? I can't believe it's really Tasha Yar

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

There's so much happening. Are the 22 year old uniforms from the original series? I can't believe it's really Tasha Yar

They're pretty much the uniforms from the TOS movies, yeah. They're a little simplified, missing a few elements like the undershirt and maybe the belt, but other than that, they're the same.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

drat, that intense conversation between Guinan and alternate Picard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

They are absolutely dedicated to making Tasha straight