Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Why would they relegate that line to a deleted scene?

"Every time the TARDIS materializes in a new location, within the first nanosecond of landing, it analyzes its surroundings, calculates a 12 dimensional data map of everything within a 1000 mile radius, and determines which outer shell would blend in best with the environment. And then it disguises itself as a police telephone box from 1963."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

I really love those scenes. My favourite is the explanation of the TARDIS chameleon circuit and how it functions because he absolutely sells it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAOne4Bxz1o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O3b5yRqZPg
Ahhh, Early Eleven is an absolute doll

Always feels weird seeing the Doctor "fresh" in his Regeneration before he's dragged through the mud

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I wanted Matt Smith to do audio stuff with Big Finish like Tennant did, but I'm not sure how much of his tics will translate to non-visual medium.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

toanoradian posted:

I wanted Matt Smith to do audio stuff with Big Finish like Tennant did, but I'm not sure how much of his tics will translate to non-visual medium.

I have to imagine Smith will turn up for an audio at some point. Probably more of a scheduling thing.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
lol if you don't think Tennant, Smith, and Capaldi aren't besieging Nick Briggs every chance they get.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Hello, I'm the huge babyperson who gets manipulated by all the tears and pop music in Vincent and the Doctor enough that the one with the invisible chicken monster is, even upon rewatching it, in my top 10 favorite episodes. :smith:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Me, an Enormous Child: Why yes, this story about the artist everyone's heard of that is dripping with sentiment, and in which the monster of the week is an invisible chicken with a tragic death, it's literally about an invisible alien chicken that only an artist can see, that one, that's the one that makes me feel things, because talented actors make their crying feel real, and because of the pop music that plays just before they make him slightly happier about killing himself, that one, that's the one that makes me Feel Things. I'm an artistic sophisticate, blubbering and thinking of all the people I lost to suicide, because of the sad scene where the invisi-poultry monster gets stabbed by an easel, and it's sad.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

Me, an Enormous Child: Why yes, this story about the artist everyone's heard of that is dripping with sentiment, and in which the monster of the week is an invisible chicken with a tragic death, it's literally about an invisible alien chicken that only an artist can see, that one, that's the one that makes me feel things, because talented actors make their crying feel real, and because of the pop music that plays just before they make him slightly happier about killing himself, that one, that's the one that makes me Feel Things. I'm an artistic sophisticate, blubbering and thinking of all the people I lost to suicide, because of the sad scene where the invisi-poultry monster gets stabbed by an easel, and it's sad.

Annnd I gotta watch this again now

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Vincent and the Doctor rules, and anybody who says otherwise has a different opinion than I do!

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, I definitely really liked this story, if only for the weird little world-building, but as you say, the ongoing plot with Charlie and later, Mila getting ignored... it starts to grate. I always felt that way about Charlie and Six. They have so many interesting individual ideas, but you get more and more frustrated with them pushing off the inevitable confrontations. I get that they just have to tell good, individual stories, but don't introduce a huge Sword of Damocles cliffhanger and then ignore it forever.

I was so excited by the potential when they first teamed up but you're right, while all the individual parts work just fine and their performances remain good across all their stories, the overarching plot doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Vincent and the Doctor is probably 11's best episode, in his probably best season.

TinTower posted:

lol if you don't think Tennant, Smith, and Capaldi aren't besieging Nick Briggs every chance they get.

As of right now, Big Finish aren't allowed to do Capaldi's era, right? They only have up to Time of the Doctor.

toanoradian fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 21, 2017

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

lol if you think that'll stop Capaldi

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

toanoradian posted:

Vincent and the Doctor is probably 11's best episode, in his probably best season.

As of right now, Big Finish aren't allowed to do Capaldi's era, right? They only have up to Time of the Doctor.

I believe that changes the second Jodie appears on screen. The licence stipulates they can't do anything directly dealing with the CURRENT Doctor.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

I believe that changes the second Jodie appears on screen. The licence stipulates they can't do anything directly dealing with the CURRENT Doctor.

Capaldi: YES! Yes I will change!
Moffat: Peter that's not the li-
Capaldi: :staredog:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

toanoradian posted:

They translate well enough that Catherine Tate did a good and recognizable impression of him

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Gaz-L posted:

I pretty sure they'd have to renegotiate to include him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Davros1 posted:

I pretty sure they'd have to renegotiate to include him.

Big Finish (sweating): So we're here to negotiate audio adventures featuring the 12th Doctor.
BBC: What? No we're here to discuss an extended license for use of the Sonta-
Capaldi swings his gun from Big Finish to BBC
BBC (sweating): ....so, we're here to negotiate audio adventures featuring the 12th Doctor....

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

CommonShore posted:

They translate well enough that Catherine Tate did a good and recognizable impression of him

She did? Where?

edit: also, Capaldi a big fan of BF?

toanoradian fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jul 21, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I watched Vincent and the Doctor just yesterday. It's probably one of my favorite episodes. I love shows that take place in history times, so that was good. I also enjoyed how they portrayed the way no one gave a rats rear end about his paintings in his time. The tragic tale of the invisible, blind chicken was nice, but Van Gogh was really cool. It was interesting how they thought they could prevent his suicide by showing him that people would one day love his paintings, and regard him as one of the greatest artists. In the end, he went back to his time, and even though he knew he would one day be loved, he was still alone, and people of that time still didn't care about his paintings. He knew he would never live long to enough to see when people appreciated his art and had nothing to live for.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I just re-watched the Zygon inversion and god drat, now I remember why I forgave all the terrible writing and just started watching Capaldi.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

learnincurve posted:

I just re-watched the Zygon inversion and god drat, now I remember why I forgave all the terrible writing and just started watching Capaldi.

SHame about what the actual message of that speech was.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
We should skip the war part and go right to the diplomatic talking bit at the end?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

toanoradian posted:

She did? Where?

edit: also, Capaldi a big fan of BF?

I don't know if he's ever mentioned much about BF, or that he listens (he totally does though, you know it).

If he had any doubts about wanting to do the audios, I'm sure Nick Briggs has already written a script for a multi-Doctor episode featuring him and Tom Baker, and that would probably seal the deal instantly to be able to work with one of his childhood heroes!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You know, I'm not actually sure Capaldi watched Tom Baker as a kid.

He was a Hartnel kid.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Yeah, by the time Tom Baker started, Capaldi would be 16. Young, but not a kid.

I wonder which Doctor-playing actor was the biggest Whovian. I only know that 10's a huge 5 fan. Or was he? I might have taken Time Crash too autobiographically.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
From early 1974 (when Death to the Daleks aired)

E: There was an interview where Capaldi was asked about which villains he'd like to have on the show and most of his choices were from Pertwee's era (along with the Chumblies, which is the kind of deep cut that puts him as hot favourite for "which actor is the biggest fan").

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jul 21, 2017

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Capaldi is the biggest whovian of the lot. He was one of the original nerds who obsessively collected and argued the minutiae in excruciating detail with other who nerds. There is a story where he tried to oust the secretary of the fan club in the 1970s because he wanted to replace him, and the producers of the show were writing to each other about how annoying he was, one of them actually said they wished he was dead. That letter actually made it into one of the official books.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM2bXjs0n2g

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Doctor Spaceman posted:

E: There was an interview where Capaldi was asked about which villains he'd like to have on the show and most of his choices were from Pertwee's era (along with the Chumblies, which is the kind of deep cut that puts him as hot favourite for "which actor is the biggest fan").

The grin on his face when he says "the chumblies" is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtkWPaTs4A4&t=385s

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

toanoradian posted:

Yeah, by the time Tom Baker started, Capaldi would be 16. Young, but not a kid.

It was awhile before he outgrew it (if he ever did):

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...

Astroman posted:

It was awhile before he outgrew it (if he ever did):

drat it, man! You're not supposed to leak next season's monsters! :stonk:

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU
EDIT: Vincent and the Doctor is my favourite New Who story and maybe my favourite TV story of Who overall? It's tied with Keys of Marinus because I'm a lunatic.

Jerusalem posted:

[*] Charley is Charley. Normally I'd count that as a bonus, but not in this case. There is absolutely nothing to this story that in any way plays up on the events of Patient Zero, even when you have stuff like the walls that write your thoughts on them absolutely nothing comes up to suggest anything is even slightly off. There's an explanation of sorts given in the behind-the-scenes stuff, as India Fisher explains the reasoning for her performance, but while I'm all for subtlety this comes across more like they just decided to ignore that particular subplot, possibly because it would have just been too much on top of an already overcrowded story.

It's been a while so I'm not sure how much truth there is to this, but I recall someone saying that Paper Cuts was written/supposed to take place before Patient Zero, and thus had to have last minute adjustments. It's still messy either way.

also yeah shove brewster in the toilet where he belongs

Cruel Rose fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jul 21, 2017

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Cruel Rose posted:

EDIT: Vincent and the Doctor is my favourite New Who story and maybe my favourite TV story of Who overall? It's tied with Keys of Marinus because I'm a lunatic.

It's been a while so I'm not sure how much truth there is to this, but I recall someone saying that Paper Cuts was written/supposed to take place before Patient Zero, and thus had to have last minute adjustments. It's still messy either way.

also yeah shove brewster in the toilet where he belongs

Is it Brewster that's the problem or the stories he's in? Because the only one of his I can remember liking is Industrial Evolution.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Didn't Curtis want a pure historical but the BBC insisted on the invisible space chicken?

I love his utter embarrassment here.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Huh, he referred to the main character as both "Dr Who" and "the Doctor". When in the classic series does the show start to refer to him as "The Doctor"? I remember credits from a black-and-white episode (likely Troughton's, but I can't remember which) that had "Dr Who" as the character's name.

TinTower posted:

Didn't Curtis want a pure historical but the BBC insisted on the invisible space chicken?

I wish we could have a pure historical starring the modern Doctors.

toanoradian fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jul 21, 2017

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

toanoradian posted:

Huh, he referred to the main character as both "Dr Who" and "the Doctor". When in the classic series does the show start to refer to him as "The Doctor"? I remember credits from a black-and-white episode (likely Troughton's, but I can't remember which) that had "Dr Who" as the character's name.

The actors were credited as "Dr./Doctor Who" all the way until Davison took the role, but in-story he's always just called "the Doctor" as in the new series (except for one Hartnell story where the villain robot calls him Dr. Who).

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

And when Missy calls herself Doctor Who. :v:

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU

Fil5000 posted:

Is it Brewster that's the problem or the stories he's in? Because the only one of his I can remember liking is Industrial Evolution.

It's the character being a big rear end in a top hat and Big Finish kept pushing him as a thing for a while. Someone there really liked Brewster and wanted us all to like him too, but since the character's such a dick that was never gonna happen.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cruel Rose posted:

It's the character being a big rear end in a top hat and Big Finish kept pushing him as a thing for a while. Someone there really liked Brewster and wanted us all to like him too, but since the character's such a dick that was never gonna happen.

The way I recall it being worded was "We want to do Adric, but right!" but since the only way to do Adric right is to pair him with Tom Baker's 4th Doctor they were doomed to failure.

The shame of it is that I'm really enjoying Polly and the Brig's stories, but then every so often Brewster intrudes in on the narrative and reminds me this is probably leading to his return at some point :sigh:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Big Finish is bring back books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I feel like I should get into Bernice Summerfield. The only one I've ever heard is Just War and that's a bit too morbid for me. Is there sort of a consistent mood throughout the series? Is there an era in Doctor Who to which it resembles the closest? She's a companion of 7, so do her stories resemble 7's style of stories?

toanoradian fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jul 21, 2017

• Locked thread