Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

mind the walrus posted:

Suspenders are going to blow your mind.

It's a shame men can't wear them visibly without looking like a city hipster appropriating Americana workwear, because those things are so much better than a belt. Bending down with a much lower chance of asscrack? Yes please. Not having to adjust pants constantly? Yes please. No more belts wearing out the holes from overuse? Yes please. Wearing them under my scrub top changed my entire work experience.

Then again I am rapidly becoming an old, so maybe I should just roll with it. :getin:

I'd love to wear those without looking like a hipster. I can never find the right belt tightness where my pants stay at just the right level where my rear end crack doesn't show. Either it's too tight or too loose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Delivery McGee posted:

GM almost made a US model a few years ago (they had been bringing over the sedan version as a Pontiac fora few years.) Would've also been branded as a Pontiac, but then they axed Pontiac.

The Australian designed coupes were sold in a lot of different markets, they went the US as Pontiac GTOs with some cosmetic changes and in a few other markets as Vauxhalls.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
If you ever get in an antifa mood and go to your local milsurp store and try to buy black BDUs you will be amazed at the sizing.

34/36 length means you get a 40 or so waist. At least back in the day.

Belt very much required but you can do that thing where you pull the waist out like in those old weight-loss commercials.

Or fit a second person in the pants but that can be awkward.

e: American military, fat?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

bongwizzard posted:

I wore suspenders regularly for a couple years when I worked in construction sites, they are absolutely amazing, other then the fact that they sort of require you to tuck your shirt in.
You should tuck your shirt in most of the time anyway, said the old nerd. You'd have to for a belt.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
In the near future brought to you by generation X, shirt tucking will be outlawed. We're still waiting for the last boomers to die off.

Have I said too much about our plans

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Like most Gen X plans you were thwarted by Milennial upstarts before you even knew what happened.

Grunge is dead. Long live the dork.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

mind the walrus posted:

Like most Gen X plans you were thwarted by Milennial upstarts before you even knew what happened.

Grunge is dead. Long live the dork.

I wear my flannels out and my chinos low. dwi

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

In this country we call them washcloths.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

You should tuck your shirt in most of the time anyway, said the old nerd. You'd have to for a belt.

What, why?

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Mister Mind posted:

In this country we call them washcloths.

A flannel wouldn't make a good washcloth, they are too soft.

Flannel shirts for lyfe.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Shifty Nipples posted:

A flannel wouldn't make a good washcloth, they are too soft.

Flannel shirts for lyfe.

I was anti flannel shirts for a long time until I went down to the in-laws' farm in the middle of winter and borrowed one and now I am of the opinion that they are pretty awesome to wear while being a farm Bogan

klugman
Jan 28, 2009

Xibanya posted:

I can't believe I just figured out that a belt for men's slacks is more than just decorative.

I have had long term relationships with men, lived with men, have tons of male friends, hang out on the internet with men, and this never dawned on me until now.

Of course I've worn belts with pants and jeans, but there wasn't an appreciable difference in pants-hitching needed unless the garment in question was too big to begin with. So that's what I figured the point was, if not as an accessory, a belt is for making ill-fitting pants less annoying.

It finally hit me when I realized men's slacks are generally not made of stretchy fabric. I have some non-stretchy slacks too, but I don't need a belt 'cause my hips hold them up. But a dude probably isn't gonna have my waist/hip ratio, so a belt makes the whole slacks-wearing experience more convenient.

Dang. :downs:

Jebus ;)

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

JoelJoel posted:

So you thought the pants held up the belt and just realised that the belt holds up the pants?

I mean, that's how it works for most women!

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Xibanya posted:

I mean, that's how it works for most women!

It was a failed attempt at a mitch reference.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Who's Mitch?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Jerry Cotton posted:

Who's Mitch?

Mitch Hedberg, he was an observational absurdist comedian.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Memento posted:

Mitch Hedberg, he was an observational absurdist comedian.

I wonder if he's related to Sami Hedberg.

http://i.imgur.com/UauEQ7j.mp4

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

I wonder if he's related to Sami Hedberg.

http://i.imgur.com/UauEQ7j.mp4

Probably not, Mitch was a comedian.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

extradite THIS! posted:

Probably not, Mitch was a comedian.

:mmmhmm:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

iajanus posted:

I was anti flannel shirts for a long time until I went down to the in-laws' farm in the middle of winter and borrowed one and now I am of the opinion that they are pretty awesome to wear while being a farm Bogan
I wasn't anti-flannel but I didn't really care for them.
Then I started skating last year and this winter, they keep you warm and a decent one is thick/tough enough to stop you from getting too scuffed up on little bails.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Croccers posted:

they keep you warm and a decent one is thick/tough enough to stop you from getting too scuffed up on little bails.

Try wearing better pants or maybe a sports cup?

Edit: sorry, misread your post :blush:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

If you want your outfit to look decent. I mean you can (and I have) worn a belt under a loose shirt, but I never had the impression it looked good.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

just do a casual semi-tuck & light a cig :sunglasses_emoji:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

mind the walrus posted:

If you want your outfit to look decent. I mean you can (and I have) worn a belt under a loose shirt, but I never had the impression it looked good.

How would anyone tell the difference if you have an untucked shirt over your belt line though. How does that possibly look different

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Len posted:

I'd love to wear those without looking like a hipster. I can never find the right belt tightness where my pants stay at just the right level where my rear end crack doesn't show. Either it's too tight or too loose.

it's not hipsterism if you genuinely are using the object for its intended purpose rather than as an affect :kiddo: be the change you want to see in the fashion world!

i'd be down for a return to suspenders

Also, i dated a guy once who had a weirdly long torso and only wore these tiny white t-shirts that were probalby undershirts. he also apparently never bothered ot put the time in to finding pants that fit and just had these ill-fititng jeans he wore all the time, so he was perpetually exposing his rear end crack and his hairy belly to the entire world. he wore a belt, it made 0 difference. this was during a difficult time in my life.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

purple death ray posted:

How would anyone tell the difference if you have an untucked shirt over your belt line though. How does that possibly look different

If the shirt is light enough, the outline of the belt would be visible sometimes and might look weird.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

wow I thought we were talking about shirt-tucking under suspenders.

I dont think ive never seen someones belt through their untucked shirt. ive noticed undershirts once in a blue moon but never a belt. thats weird.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

syscall girl posted:

If you ever get in an antifa mood and go to your local milsurp store and try to buy black BDUs you will be amazed at the sizing.

Can confirm, BDUs are amazingly comfortable and can hold a lot of stuff. Reinforced seat/knee pads/rain resistance means that I wear them 99% of the time. The downside is that you look like a military hobo but you can keep a 1L Nalgene in your side pocket no problem!

I recommend propper.com for BDUs, the black pants are discreet enough to wear at (some) workplaces. 30 dollars for a pair of pants that are comfortable and functional? You can't go wrong!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

:psyduck: you won't be able to see it :psyduck:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

My wording was poor and I underestimated the number of goons rushing to defend outfits with untucked shirts. My point is that outfits with untucked shirts look like crap the vast majority of the time anyway. Wearing a belt underneath a loose shirt just means you aren't taking care of your pants.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

mind the walrus posted:

My wording was poor and I underestimated the number of goons rushing to defend outfits with untucked shirts. My point is that outfits with untucked shirts look like crap the vast majority of the time anyway. Wearing a belt underneath a loose shirt just means you aren't taking care of your pants.

So I'm supposed to tuck my t-shirt into my pants anytime I wear a belt? That's just :psyduck:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Len posted:

So I'm supposed to tuck my t-shirt into my pants anytime I wear a belt? That's just :psyduck:
goon.txt

I'm not saying you have to, just that doing so looks surprisingly good if you're even remotely fit.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I've seen the WAYWT thread so I'm just going to assume all goons who claim to have a fashion sense have really poo poo fashion sense.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
T-shirt tucked into jeans with belt is an extremely dad fashion choice

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yes. Yes it is. This is going to sound like shifting the goal posts, but I swear to god during this original exchange I was picturing a button shirt. T-shirt depends a lot on length.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Lol if you imagine anyone here wearing actual adult clothes. Shorts and an ill-fitting t-shirt at best, though there's the occasional tissue-thin short sleeve kmart dress shirt for formal occasions and adult onesies for everyday errands

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

mind the walrus posted:

Wearing a belt underneath a loose shirt just means you aren't taking care of your pants.
What? I think it means you want your pants to stay up.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I dress like Naked Snake in MGS3 at all times

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Even, no, especially bedtime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
same