Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This article about Confederate is pretty good.

(hopefully nobody reports me for posting this!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I've only seen the first episode of Blood Drive, so if it gets better as it goes on, I'm open to being wrong.

there's a very specific short scene in episode 2 that was adorable. and creepy. and funny. and sold me on the show. So my personal recommendation is to at least watch the second episode before calling it quits.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

This article about Confederate is pretty good.

(hopefully nobody reports me for posting this!)

I think the only problem I have with that article is that while they're right that the whole "What if the South won?" has been overly mined in books there hasn't really been a lot of TV or movies dealing with the subject. At least the show isn't doing that mealymouthed bullshit where they pretend the CSA would just get rid of slavery on its own.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

D-Pad posted:

The backlash over this is stupid. Man in the High Castle, a show where blacks, LBGT, Jews, etc are persecuted in a modern America ruled by Nazi's is ok and wins emmy awards, but the same premise except its the Confederates instead of Nazi's is not ok.

Like if the show glorifies the confederacy and slavery that is one thing, but I seriously doubt HBO will be doing that. It is fiction and this backlash is just going too far down the SJW rabbit hole.

Its just boring regardless of whatever political orientation you might hold. Its the source of a thousand Turtledove like newsstand historical fic books, and its stuff you've generally seen before.

It's also hilarious b/c alot of the reason why GOT is so hot is because of its voracious black audience, and boy did they make a show for them here.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Oh man Friends had a crossover with Mad About You and I remember that Mad About You was awfuuuuuuul

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I had also forgotten about Mad About You and now I'm Mad At You

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Stargate is coming back but I think it's ignoring the TV shows

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/stargate-revival-origins-new-digital-show-1202501988/

quote:

Mercedes Bryce Morgan will direct Stargate Origins, with writing from Mark Ilvedson and Justin Michael Terry. Production is scheduled to begin in August. The series will stream on the franchise’s new subscription-based digital platform, which launches later this fall.

So basically it's being directed and written by people that had nothing to do with the shows and it's on a paid streaming platform called Stargate Command. Bad news.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I love how these 90's shows that had an actor or actress play two roles at the same time they always do these super awkward shots to shOW BOTH CHARACTERS ON SCREEN AT THE SAME TIME WHOOOOOO

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I've only seen the first episode of Blood Drive, so if it gets better as it goes on, I'm open to being wrong.

Well I won't ruin it for you by hyping it up too much, but it sort of snuck up on being my new favourite show this summer. Some time around when Slink the MC guy got dragged into Heart Corporate HQ so he could be briefed on Blood Drive focus group notes. It's not taking itself seriously and it seems to know exactly what it wants to be.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Shageletic posted:

It's also hilarious b/c alot of the reason why GOT is so hot is because of its voracious black audience
Where are you getting this from

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Calaveron posted:

Oh man Friends had a crossover with Mad About You and I remember that Mad About You was awfuuuuuuul

The only thing I remember about that show is
"Hey shut up out there! I'm trying to have sex with my wife!" "I already had sex with your wife!"

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!

Snak posted:

edit: 19 and a half minutes and this show is genius. Who lost their job for not advertising this at all?
The same guy who hosed up the marketing for Beek Jeans.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Ursula was originally a Mad About You character, before Kudrow got the Phoebe role on Friends.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Why has no one tried (or has anyone tried) having a daily show (a soap opera) but with an attempt at good writing, like hire a bunch of super good prestige TV writers and screw the budget, make the dialogue good enough to not matter

I'm a writer so I know this would be super hard but that's no reason not to try, it seems like a fun experiment.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

precision posted:

Why has no one tried (or has anyone tried) having a daily show (a soap opera) but with an attempt at good writing, like hire a bunch of super good prestige TV writers and screw the budget, make the dialogue good enough to not matter

I'm a writer so I know this would be super hard but that's no reason not to try, it seems like a fun experiment.

Soap Operas are where writers go to die. There was one called Port Charles and the bulk of it's plot were 100% ripped off from Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh my god the finale of veep, I'm just now watching it, this is peak tv.peak peak tv

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Think about it this way: If you're a prestige TV writer, you usually work a certain amount and get paid a certain amount to deliver a certain amount of episodes. What if you had to deliver 5 times as many episodes? It would probably be a good deal if you got paid 5 times as much.

No is going to pay you 5 times as much.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
As a non-American who is very disconnected from the racial struggles of your country, the premise of Confederate intrigues me. I totally get why people would think it was an awful idea though.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Rarity posted:

As a non-American who is very disconnected from the racial struggles of your country, the premise of Confederate intrigues me. I totally get why people would think it was an awful idea though.

It's a super derivative idea though. One of the first counterfactual history fiction stories was about that topic (by Winston Churchill no less) and since then there have been tons of such books (and some movies). Turtledove basically made a fortune on it. A really good recent example is Underground Airlines by Ben Winters, where the Civil War never happend, but a compromise allowed some Southern States to keep Slavery into the present.
The premise is hardly the issue, there are great stories that can be told with it. It's all in the execution. And two white boys that already made a hash out of GoT might not be someone to inspire confidence.

Decius fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jul 21, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I like the Rockford Files.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Vegetable posted:

Where are you getting this from

Anecdotal but in my (black) family, GoT blew the gently caress up with my friends and family in a way no other fantasy property has.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mu Zeta posted:

So basically it's being directed and written by people that had nothing to do with the shows and it's on a paid streaming platform called Stargate Command. Bad news.

Is this the future? Show-exclusive streaming platforms? Can't wait to pay $6/mo next time I want to rewatch Lost.

Oh, wait, I'll just pull out my DVDs. Which are on the same shelf as my SG1 and Atlantis boxsets.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Calaveron posted:

Remember when NBC would do theme nights across Must See TV Thursday and Seinfeld would never have to participate

"It's a blackout in New York (Except on the Upper West Side!)"

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

lelandjs posted:

Is this the future? Show-exclusive streaming platforms? Can't wait to pay $6/mo next time I want to rewatch Lost.

Oh, wait, I'll just pull out my DVDs. Which are on the same shelf as my SG1 and Atlantis boxsets.

It's the future until they all crash and burn.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
They've been trying to get Stargate Origins off the ground for the better part of a decade. I can't believe they thought of a dumber platform than CBS All-access.

As for Confederates? It'll be a good show and you know what makes a ton of people tune in? Controversy. This is gonna be boiling for a couple of years who cares. Besides, it's never bad to have TV shows showing things like "Slavery = bad!" when we have IRL dumbasses that are now questioning it in TYOOL 2017.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Does China, IL go to poo poo in the third season? I've been working through the series from time to time (albeit jumping around if they're doing a marathon on [as].com like today) and holy poo poo the last two episodes I've seen are bad.

e- For reference, the one inspiring the post is the one where Steve becomes a "celebrity" with a big testicle known as Trump's Kid, there's some attempt at a metaphor between pizza toppings and sexuality (I...guess?) and Frank is annoying infinitely more than usual.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 21, 2017

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Croatoan posted:

As for Confederates? It'll be a good show and you know what makes a ton of people tune in? Controversy. This is gonna be boiling for a couple of years who cares. Besides, it's never bad to have TV shows showing things like "Slavery = bad!" when we have IRL dumbasses that are now questioning it in TYOOL 2017.

I guess Westworld was too subtle.

Then again we live in a world where they made a whole season of tv about slapping a kid for being a little poo poo, so yeah I guess all you need is a really dumb controversy.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
irq hits his kids pass it on

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Does China, IL go to poo poo in the third season? I've been working through the series from time to time (albeit jumping around if they're doing a marathon on [as].com like today) and holy poo poo the last two episodes I've seen are bad.

e- For reference, the one inspiring the post is the one where Steve becomes a "celebrity" with a big testicle known as Trump's Kid, there's some attempt at a metaphor between pizza toppings and sexuality (I...guess?) and Frank is annoying infinitely more than usual.

Season 3 wasn't as good as S2 but had its moments. Did you see the one with the crows yet? Or "Charlize"? That's easily one of the best episodes of the series.

I remember the stuff with Trump's Kid being funny but that was, y'know...before.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Croatoan posted:

As for Confederates? It'll be a good show

Neither modern HBO nor the people behind Game of Thrones have earned this kind of confidence, doubly so when it comes to original programming and not adaptations.

IRQ posted:

I guess Westworld was too subtle.

Then again we live in a world where they made a whole season of tv about slapping a kid for being a little poo poo, so yeah I guess all you need is a really dumb controversy.

It was only a dumb controversy in that so many people were legitimately affronted by the suggestion that it's wrong to beat children.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I guess you're right. HBO doesn't know what the hell they're doing. They just do crappy shows like The Leftovers, GoT, Veep, The Wire, The Sopranos, Girls and poo poo. Who the gently caress liked any of that?

Also what horrible show are you guys talking about beating children?

Edit: I'll admit HBO can make rear end TV but for the most part they don't and also GoT has a huge following but don't be all like "It's popular so it sucks!" that argument's dumb.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Slap.

(Hoping this is the right clip as I'm on my phone in work...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm_niiQfeWc

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

EL BROMANCE posted:

The Slap.

(Hoping this is the right clip as I'm on my phone in work...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm_niiQfeWc

I'm not sure if you intended it to be this, but yes that's absolutely the right clip.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

IRQ posted:

I'm not sure if you intended it to be this, but yes that's absolutely the right clip.

I would like to know how I missed this show

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

IRQ posted:

Sounds like I got the right one ;)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I had somehow completely forgotten that The Slap ever happened.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

STAC Goat posted:

I had somehow completely forgotten that The Slap ever happened.

Don't worry, therapy sessions in 20 years will bring it back.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Blood Drive doesn't have any right to be as good as it is.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
Is Berlin Station worth watching? I have never heard of that channel, but a friend of mine said it was decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I like China, IL but for me it never really got as funny as the original Prof. Bros. shorts (especially "Fliff Night" and "Late Date"). I also kinda hated Frank's even-more-annoying new voice.

• Locked thread