Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Stop waving your fingers around and trying to work out the nanosecond at which the sun will drop below the horizon, if the sun's near the horizen it'll be dark soon and you need to get back to your camp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Paladinus posted:

Yeah, it sure is handy to remember that the time changes 15 minutes a week. So when you need to know how much time you've got until the sun sets, you just check your notes with sunset times from before, look at your phone to check the time, and finally, using a simple formula, get what you need.

“Well I know that the Sun set at a little after 21:00 a few days because I was out <doing literally anything>, so I should expect it to set a little before 21:00 now. If I’m off by a bit, whatever; it’s a gradual transition and the world will not be instantly plunged into darkness.”

If you need more precision than that, you need more precision than the finger method will give you.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 12:15 on Jul 21, 2017

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I don't want to be hiking at dark, looks like I got an hour to get back to camp before I'm in the mountains shadow. Better head back.

What the gently caress, basic Bushcraft is now stupid? It's not like it's saying to throw out your watches or anything.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Wasabi the J posted:

I don't want to be hiking when the sun sets at precisely 19:18:49, looks like I got 37 minutes and 14 seconds to get back to camp before I'm in the mountains shadow. Better head back in exactly 6 minutes and 2.53 seconds.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Post av combo

ashnjack
Jun 8, 2010

FUCK FLOWERS. JUST...FUCK 'EM.
Lifehack: if you're looking to waste hours or days arguing about woodcraft and time, join Something Awful.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Platystemon posted:

“Well I know that the Sun set at a little after 21:00 a few days because I was out <doing literally anything>, so I should expect it to set a little before 21:00 now. If I’m off by a bit, whatever; it’s a gradual transition and the world will not be instantly plunged into darkness.”

If you need more precision than that, you need more precision than the finger method will give you.

The point is you need to check your goddamn watch with your method. The fingers method is specifically for when you don't have a timepiece on you. Or you don't know when the sun sets at this time of year usually.

Like, I don't know, if you're lost in some woods in a different country and your phone battery is dead.

It's not a thing that you do when you have a phone with internet access. Just like you don't need tips on how to get water from a tree if you've got enough water in your backpack.

This is some painfully obvious stuff. Christ almighty.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Screaming Idiot posted:

It's Daylight Peelings Time.

:sensiblechuckle:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Paladinus posted:

Like, I don't know, if you're lost in some woods in a different country and your phone battery is dead.

Out of the corner of your eye you spot him... Shia LaBeouf.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Paladinus posted:

The point is you need to check your goddamn watch with your method. The fingers method is specifically for when you don't have a timepiece on you. Or you don't know when the sun sets at this time of year usually.

It's not a thing that you do when you have a phone with internet access. Just like you don't need tips on how to get water from a tree if you've got enough water in your backpack.

No he's saying if you know the sun set at 9ish last week and it's around 2 hours untill sunset it should be around 7ish

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5ccK4ne_q4

:discourse:

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

And The Chamber Of Secrets

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Rumda posted:

No he's saying if you know the sun set at 9ish last week and it's around 2 hours untill sunset it should be around 7ish

I'm not falling for that, but nice try.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jak är alldeles bök.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Paladinus posted:

The point is you need to check your goddamn watch with your method.

[…]

:wrong:

fizzymercy posted:

So basically you have to have a ton of knowledge and skill for this. Or! A smartphone. Or a goddamn $10 timex watch. That's not handy, outside of the fool-looking finger thing. "Bunch of caveats" means "is bullshit, here is a list of reasons for that:"

Why man? Why!

JesustheDarkLord posted:

A timex doesn't know what time the sunset is where you are.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The gooniest loving derail.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’ve been looking at lifehacks all wrong.

If your flip flops break in the wilderness, repair them with bread tags. :aaaaa:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Why not just construct a rudimentary sundial, with bread tags, a power drill, a small electric motor, hot glue and dinky piano music

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
This could all just be solved by not going outside in the first place. Life hacked.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

bushcraft techniques are the original lifehacks

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Now I'm imagining an ad campaign about buschcraft where they do all kinds of dumb lifehacky tongue-in-cheek stuff involving their beer/cans that can easily go viral

busch parent company, give me monies

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

I don't want to be hiking at dark, looks like I got an hour to get back to camp before I'm in the mountains shadow. Better head back.

What the gently caress, basic Bushcraft is now stupid? It's not like it's saying to throw out your watches or anything.

Looking at the position of the sun to estimate how much daylight is left is not stupid. Measuring time on your fingers is stupid.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

*me, watching the Hit TV Show Home Improvement*

heidi - "DOES EVERYONE KNOW WHAT TIME IT IS?"

a goon, in the audience - "well actually,

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
https://www.facebook.com/buzzfeednifty/videos/1905465013041555/

Glue a fidget spinner to your phone case, because????

Or glue bits of an old wallet to your phone so when you lose it, you also have to cancel all your cards. Life hacked.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Phone-case-cum-wallet has been a thing for years.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

I thought a vase was the preferred receptacle

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bobby Digital posted:

I thought a vase was the preferred receptacle

Fine, fine. Phone-case-and-wallet has been a thing for years.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Subjunctive posted:

And here I thought I was trying out a long-overdue life hack and all I've accomplished is ruining my wallet. :argh:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

This is off topic, but the use of "cum" in that way always made me :raise: and we should probably just accept that it means semen now.

:cop: This has been a :cumpolice: derail post, nothing to see here. :cop:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

WampaLord posted:

This is off topic, but the use of "cum" in that way always made me :raise: and we should probably just accept that it means semen now.

:cop: This has been a :cumpolice: derail post, nothing to see here. :cop:

Nah.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Subjunctive posted:

My phone case is my wallet. It's the book-type (not styled to lok like a book though, I have an HTC), with the wallet part in the front cover and the phone attached to the back cover. I may forget to put one or the other in my pocket when heading out, but both in one package means I make doubly sure I have it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Delivery McGee posted:

My phone case is my wallet. It's the book-type (not styled to lok like a book though, I have an HTC), with the wallet part in the front cover and the phone attached to the back cover. I may forget to put one or the other in my pocket when heading out, but both in one package means I make doubly sure I have it.

This seems like a bad idea to me because now losing your phone also means losing your wallet, and vice versa.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

chitoryu12 posted:

This seems like a bad idea to me because now losing your phone also means losing your wallet, and vice versa.

Yeah it just means you're doubly screwed if you lose it, because it's both.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
And poo poo! If you lose your phone, you're losing your camera too! And your calculator! :tinfoil:

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

chitoryu12 posted:

I think you'd be equally screwed either way -- in my case, debit card, company expense account credit card, ID, and $15 cash in the wallet, and a $600 smartphone. "Put all your eggs in one basket and watch that basket" works for me.

Otoh if you're like my mother, who occasionally momentarily loses stuff because she forgets which pocket she put it in, you're best keeping them seperate. I put every item in the same pocket every time, so I notice pretty quickly if I've forgotten something.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm really vigilant about always putting things in the same pocket and putting items back in the exact same spot when I come home at the end of the day, but I still forget to put my keys in my pocket every so often. I once walked out of the house and made it all the way to sitting in the car before realizing I had left my phone on the counter. It's one mistake out of hundreds of normal days, but one is all it can take.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
clearly the safe and sane thing to do is keep your phone in one pocket, your keys in another, each of your debit/ctrdit cards tucked into a separate shoe or sock, and your cash up your rear end. wallets are too risky -- if you lose your wallet you'll lose all your cards plus your cash and your id, only a complete fool would take such a risk

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Keys all in one pocket? gently caress that, car key in one ear and house key in the other, with spares under the insoles of the opposite shoe.

Edit: some people in this thread apparently should have their wallets chained to their belts and wear a helmet. And I'm not talking about motorcyclists.

Chillbro Baggins has a new favorite as of 04:53 on Jul 23, 2017

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

A helmet? Isn't that just another thing to lose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I just tape everything to my body and keep the roll in a pocket. On the one hand it hurts taking them off to pay for stuff or show ID, on the other I've saved a lot on personal grooming.

If I lose the tape, then I probably deserved it.