Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

To be fair, your NPC mentor in the Red Mage job quests is really good at boss mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Is there a way to cast healing spells while your mouse is over the parties health bar?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Harrow posted:

To be fair, your NPC mentor in the Red Mage job quests is really good at boss mechanics.

The NPC assistants in the scholar questline also run out of the aoe markers when they appear iirc.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Invalid Validation posted:

Is there a way to cast healing spells while your mouse is over the parties health bar?

You can set up mouseover macros.

/ac "Healing Spell" <mo>

The <mo> means that you'll target whatever your mouse is over.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

I think FFXIV does a pretty good job of making grouping as painless as possible for people who generally don't group. I have a friend who started a couple weeks back and she's really enjoyed herself despite being a very, very solo player in any MMO she's played before now. I think the fact that she can just queue and go to sidequests, then run a dungeon where it's generally easy enough that she doesn't have to talk too much, helps a lot.

:same:

Obviously I don't know about the endgame, but the road to 50 has been pretty painless as far as grouping goes. Well, other than the consecutive 8-man dungeon queues in the main story where the queue takes ages. Those things are pretty annoying :v:

e: unrelated, as a Red Mage is the basic idea to cast spells until you build up enough mana to do the entire melee combo supercharged and then rinse and repeat? When you're doing dungeons, quests, etc. do you mostly just stick to spells and only melee when your mana is full too or do you weave in some melee?

Also what's the deal with the verprefix on every verspell, I vercan't figure out what it's supposed to vermean.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jul 21, 2017

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Magil Zeal posted:

The NPC assistants in the scholar questline also run out of the aoe markers when they appear iirc.

The NPCs in the 70 monk quest don't do a drat thing to help you just add to the targeting clutter. :mad:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Harrow posted:

I remember being amazed in the level 60 drg (:v:) quest where the npc actually used elusive jump to leap out of aoe markers.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Your Computer posted:

Obviously I don't know about the endgame, but the road to 50 has been pretty painless as far as grouping goes. Well, other than the consecutive 8-man dungeon queues in the main story where the queue takes ages. Those things are pretty annoying :v:

e: unrelated, as a Red Mage is the basic idea to cast spells until you build up enough mana to do the entire melee combo supercharged and then rinse and repeat? When you're doing dungeons, quests, etc. do you mostly just stick to spells and only melee when your mana is full too or do you weave in some melee?

Also what's the deal with the verprefix on every verspell, I vercan't figure out what it's supposed to vermean.

You build to 80/81~ (you want one to be higher than the other by a few points for when you get Verholy and Verflare) before melee comboing, don't do it before that point.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Your Computer posted:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Your Computer posted:

You only want to melee when you have the mana to use the Enchanted versions of your melee attacks--otherwise they're too weak to be worth it. The full combo takes 80 of each mana. Once you get Verholy and Verflare, you want your mana to be slightly out of balance, because you get a little bonus for using the finisher of the mana color that's lower. For example, if you finish your melee combo and your black mana is lower than white, casting Verflare will always make you Verfire Ready. If white is lower, casting Verholy will always make you Verstone ready. It's not a huge deal, but every little bit counts.

Eventually you'll get an AoE melee attack, too, called Moulinet. That one takes 30 of each mana. I think the most efficient way to AoE is to cast Scatter until you're at 30/30, then Enchanted Moulinet, then back to Scatter, but I'm a sucker for multiple Moulinets so sometimes I'll wait until 90/90, Moulinet twice, then use Manafication (doubles your current mana) to get two more in. Definitely less efficient, but it's a lot more fun.

I believe the "Ver-" prefix is for "vermilion." Like "Vermilion Thunder," "Vermilion Stone," etc.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
This means that Red mages are responsible for Lords of Verminion and thus it's probably a net good the order is mostly wiped out.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That makes sense, thanks! :pram:

I'm still torn on whether I want to go Red Mage or Samurai... Red Mage is obviously way more stylish, but the Samurai felt easier (more intuitive?). Both are way cooler than Bard though, so unless Bard suddenly gets cool post-50 I'm definitely picking one of them going forward.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Your Computer posted:

I'm still torn on whether I want to go Red Mage or Samurai... Red Mage is obviously way more stylish, but the Samurai felt easier (more intuitive?). Both are way cooler than Bard though, so unless Bard suddenly gets cool post-50 I'm definitely picking one of them going forward.

Red Mage is honestly the easiest of the two DPS classes once you get going. There's some complexity in micromanaging but if you do Jolt -> Cast whatever Ver(element) you have the lower mana of -> cast the proc if it goes off -> repeat until you can stabby at 80 you're like halfway there on your own.

Bard gets much better in 50-60. It's a huge improvement once it gets more spells and abilities. That said Red Mage is also way more stylish. Bard is what you play if you never ever want to stop pressing buttons or moving.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Your Computer posted:

Playing classes in floor 51+ of PotD will give you some idea of what they play like 60+ which is a pretty good measure of how a class shapes out. Just make sure to go in solo to set up your hotbar first. It's also one of the main methods for level grinding.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
oh my god playing bard in POTD with all the cool stuff and then playing bard at 32 in a dungeon is the worst. Only having one song bloooows.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Red Mage is probably the easiest DPS job in the game, though whether it's more intuitive or not is probably going to be down to personal preference. Samurai is a really well-designed job--the way its combos guide you towards both filling up your core resource and keeping up your self-buffs without really needing to think about either individually is really smooth.

One nice thing about Red Mage is the lack of self-buffs or DoTs to track, which is what makes it so simple to play.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

SAM is bad and wrong and dishonorable because the Gesttsu and Ka combos encourage you to strike your opponent from the rear and his flanks like a coward rather than face him head on in honorab- *gets cleaved* :gibs:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

Red Mage is probably the easiest DPS job in the game, though whether it's more intuitive or not is probably going to be down to personal preference. Samurai is a really well-designed job--the way its combos guide you towards both filling up your core resource and keeping up your self-buffs without really needing to think about either individually is really smooth.

One nice thing about Red Mage is the lack of self-buffs or DoTs to track, which is what makes it so simple to play.

:yeah:

Another thing that draws me towards the Red Mage is the AoE, because complicated AoE rotations are the worst. I just need to find a way to make the procs more visible without being in the way, and then I'll probably enjoy Red Mage more. Also, I wish the balance gauge wasn't so unnecessarily huge since that's another UI element I really want to have front and center while in combat and hidden out of combat. I miss UI addons :sigh:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Your Computer posted:

Another thing that draws me towards the Red Mage is the AoE, because complicated AoE rotations are the worst. I just need to find a way to make the procs more visible without being in the way, and then I'll probably enjoy Red Mage more. Also, I wish the balance gauge wasn't so unnecessarily huge since that's another UI element I really want to have front and center while in combat and hidden out of combat. I miss UI addons :sigh:

You can create extra hotbars in a location you tend to look and just double-slot in the procs. That said there's only two you really need to keep track of. Impact always triggers after Jolt and Holy/Flare always after your melee combo so they're entirely predictable. Scatter has a random proc but it's not like it proccing changes your rotation at all.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Your Computer posted:

You can shrink the gauge to around 60%? 80%? of its original size, I think the method is selecting it in HUD layout and pressing crtl+home. I shrink pretty much every class gauge down.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Samurai trip report with 1800+ crit/DH and 630 sks: it's good. Even if it feels like molasses compared to monk.

If your pubbie tank in roulettes isn't spamming their enmity combo you may want to bring a ninja buddy though

e: if anything rdm AOE confuses me because it's *too* simple. I keep thinking I should be pushing some other button.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Magil Zeal posted:

You can shrink the gauge to around 60%? 80%? of its original size, I think the method is selecting it in HUD layout and pressing crtl+home. I shrink pretty much every class gauge down.

Yeah, all my UI elements are scaled down. I'm just talking about the big fancy plate around the bars. It sticks out like a sore thumb no matter where you place it on the HUD :v:

ImpAtom posted:

You can create extra hotbars in a location you tend to look and just double-slot in the procs. That said there's only two you really need to keep track of. Impact always triggers after Jolt and Holy/Flare always after your melee combo so they're entirely predictable. Scatter has a random proc but it's not like it proccing changes your rotation at all.

That's basically what I'm working on now, trying to find a spot for those two where they're more visible without being an eyesore. I could place them in the middle of the screen and never miss a proc, but then I wouldn't be able to look at my fashionable character you know? It's hard to find a balance, which is appropriate for a Red Mage I guess :haw:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Thundarr posted:

Samurai trip report with 1800+ crit/DH and 630 sks: it's good. Even if it feels like molasses compared to monk.

Isn't Monk the fastest class thanks to GL3? I don't see that changing any time soon.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Isn't Monk the fastest class thanks to GL3? I don't see that changing any time soon.

Yeah it is, just that it's what I had been used to forever so the switch to samurai made the speed difference extra noticeable.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Dwesa posted:

Trump would be dunesfolk potato for obvious reasons.

Dodonald Trumponald

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Your Computer posted:

Oh for sure, and I'm not trying to defend the ridiculous post either :v: I just think it's weird how incredibly hostile people get when someone wishes an MMO was more solo friendly. Just because it's A MULTIPLAYER GAME ARGH doesn't mean it can't be fun to play solo, so why treat it as such an alien idea? It's not like the game would be ruined for everyone else if weirdos could play it alone.

Close chat and imagine that your partners in dungeons are just really poorly written AI

Your Computer posted:

They had the such success with the prefixes in the WoFF that they the decided to the import them to the every other the game

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Close chat and imagine that your partners in dungeons are just really poorly written AI

REALLY poorly written AI, indeed :v:

"Why do you keep casting Medica?! No one's taking damage! Use Stone!!"

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Galaga Galaxian posted:

SAM is bad and wrong and dishonorable because the Gesttsu and Ka combos encourage you to strike your opponent from the rear and his flanks like a coward rather than face him head on in honorab- *gets cleaved* :gibs:

No lies, I'm levelling a tank right now and I get so many samurai jumping in front of the mob and getting cleaved to pieces.

Oh well, I need someone for Another Victim fodder. :black101:

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
wait can you put another victim on party members :kheldragar:

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Kuvo posted:

Bleah, I was misremembering the old tooltip. It's intended for an enemy target.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kuvo posted:

No and I'm really sad about it, it was the first thing I tried

I'm curious how far they got on making ai work because they do seem kinda preprogrammed for the instances we had, they're dumb and slow to react to stuff honestly. Rdm 70 spoiler In the rdm quest with the instance you need to have both you and him stand on these circles to deactivate them, it's gubal library final boss. Even if you're already standing on the one near him when the mechanic begins, he seems to pick one of the circles to run to randomly which can screw you over of you aren't kinda quick to follow him

Also I keep saying this, rdm aoe is 5x enchanted moulinet if you set it up right. build to 100/100 then EMx2 scatterx2 manafication EMx3

Jinh fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 21, 2017

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Quoting this for myself for later, cheers!

Also, we've beaten O2S, fun fight once we glanced at a guide to clear some stuff up. Let's see what all the fuss about O3S is...

:starecat:

BrightWing fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 21, 2017

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

BrightWing posted:

Also, we've beaten O2S, fun fight once we glanced at a guide to clear some stuff up. Let's see what ask the guys about O3S is...

Haley is a mean one if you don't play by the rules. And don't try to tell her the rules are BS, that's just asking for trouble.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

BrightWing posted:

Also, we've beaten O2S, fun fight once we glanced at a guide to clear some stuff up. Let's see what ask the guys about O3S is...

Look, you gotta play the game.

Her way.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Your Computer posted:

That's basically what I'm working on now, trying to find a spot for those two where they're more visible without being an eyesore. I could place them in the middle of the screen and never miss a proc, but then I wouldn't be able to look at my fashionable character you know? It's hard to find a balance, which is appropriate for a Red Mage I guess :haw:

I placed my mana guage to the left of my character and put a hotbar beneath it with the two verproc spells under their respective bar. I then put a vertical bar next to that with my important cooldowns on it. A quick glance to the left and I have most of the info I need to play.

That's great for when I need that info, but it's annoying and cluttered when I don't. But that's ok - you can save 4 Hud Layouts in the edit ui screen. These layouts can be used in macros with /hudlayout x.

I have one layout for Red Mage (my primary job), one generic layout for other jobs like gathering and crafting and one layout with minimal stuff showing. I turn on the RM layout whenever I'm in a dungeon or fighting a hunt boss - anything tough enough to care about how I'm killing it. Otherwise I'm in one of the other layouts. Not as great as having stuff hide outside of combat like in WoW, but it works for me. And if I decide to level up another combat job I've still got a 4th layout I can customize for that job.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mordiceius posted:

I feel like we'll see both Yojimbo and Fist lady again in dungeon storylines.

Have Yojimbo show up in a 4.0 Hildibrand storyline (Hildibrand would almost certainly just call him 'jim'). Greg wants Zanmato and we get an 8 man fight against the both of them for whatever reasons.

I didn't realize Ben Garrison played FFXIV.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Does anybody have a link to the saga of Gong Way? I remember it from one of the older threads but hosed if I'm able to find it anymore.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Coughing Hobo posted:

They do that; hard mode dungeons are (current at time of release) level cap remixes of old dungeons with new mechanics.

I don't mean remixes like the current hard mode dungeons, but going the truly lazy path and having it be the exact same dungeon just with mobs put to level cap and a new mechanic or two thrown on the old bosses.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Maguoob posted:

I don't mean remixes like the current hard mode dungeons, but going the truly lazy path and having it be the exact same dungeon just with mobs put to level cap and a new mechanic or two thrown on the old bosses.

This is what dungeon level sync is for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Your Computer posted:

... are you illiterate?