Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

In It For The Tank posted:

The Confederacy was saved at the last minute by the sudden arrival of another army.

The south obtained dragons.

This could work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

If they don't how do they survive as a pariah state?

yeah if you transported the csa and usa to the current day you'd def have a north korea/south korea situation.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

banned from Starbucks posted:

So what's the rest of the world like? Did we stop the nazis while simultaneously fighting our own multiple civil wars? Does no one else give a poo poo we have slaves? Did Germany try to stop us? Is Hitler the good guy? I have so many questions

I mean as long as they are making us buy in to a surviving, slave-holding contemporary Confederacy may as well get cheeky and have them join the Central Powers for WWI and The Axis for WWII.

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah if you transported the csa and usa to the current day you'd def have a north korea/south korea situation.

Just some Juche boys
never meanin' no harm
Now they're runnin' from the imperialists
like a couple modern day Choe Yon-Gongs

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

You want a free girl but you need the slave pussy

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
“We had an assistant named Dave Hill,” say Benioff and Weiss. “One day last summer he walked into our office and said, ‘You know that kid whose family emigrated from England? The one who runs to Virginia to witness the execution of John Brown?’ ‘Yeah?’ ‘Well,’ said Dave, ‘doesn’t it make sense that he’d stay in the Union and become an actor? Where else is he going to go?’ ‘You’re right,’ we said. ‘That does make sense.’ ‘And what if during a play, he’s the one who ends up killing Lincoln?’ This year, Dave Hill was hanged for treason.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I could absolutely see slavery lasting at least as long as apartheid did in South Africa. It made a shitload of money.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Yikes

Now I kinda wanna see this show

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I mean as long as they are making us buy in to a surviving, slave-holding contemporary Confederacy may as well get cheeky and have them join the Central Powers for WWI and The Axis for WWII.

Harry Turtledove already did an entire series of books detailing an alternate history where the South won, starting with How Few Remain. It also featured an aging General Custer. It's fairly dry and I stopped reading partway through the WWII era when I realized he was pretty much just taking a history book and cuntpasting Confederate in for Nazi.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

lmao

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Retardog posted:

cuntpasting

this is a new one for me

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm looking forward to Confederacy because of the sheer amount of tweed that is probably going to be worn by the north.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Maybe it'll be a good show but I'm not sure right now is the best time for it culturally. It just seems lovely to launch a show like that in a time where white supremacy and confederate symbolism are a big concern.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I could absolutely see slavery lasting at least as long as apartheid did in South Africa. It made a shitload of money.

Apartheid is more akin to Jim Crowe than slavery and even then it only lasted about 40 years.

Slavery just doesn't make sense in a post industrial society where sweat shops and migrant labor actually cost less than buying and keeping slaves.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Maybe it'll be a good show but I'm not sure right now is the best time for it culturally. It just seems lovely to launch a show like that in a time where white supremacy and confederate symbolism are a big concern.

Is it meant to be commentary on this? Only outcome I can come up with is that it is going to make a lot of already angry dickheads even more angry and probably handle the northern "good guys" in a weird/lovely way as well.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I'm mostly concerned that D&D are the ones writing this, because I don't trust them to handle a delicate subject like that well.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Imagine the exposition about the history of northern reconstruction in a brothel full of exposed boobs and dicks.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I didn't understand shipping until Tormund met Brienne

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

pyrotek posted:

They turned down GoT millions to work on that, wow

They've been doing it for like 6 years now and remember next season doesn't come out until 2019. I'd be sick of it too. Plus hey maybe they can get someone who can write.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

JBP posted:

Is it meant to be commentary on this? Only outcome I can come up with is that it is going to make a lot of already angry dickheads even more angry and probably handle the northern "good guys" in a weird/lovely way as well.

I'm so confident all of this is exactly what will happen I'd be willing to toxx on it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Max posted:

I'm mostly concerned that D&D are the ones writing this, because I don't trust them to handle a delicate subject like that well.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh yeah.

Hopefully HBO just allowed this project to get them to agree to more GoT episodes and it will fall the gently caress apart as soon as GoT ends.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

SirKibbles posted:

They've been doing it for like 6 years now and remember next season doesn't come out until 2019. I'd be sick of it too. Plus hey maybe they can get someone who can write.

I understand getting sick of GoT but not being excited to make a show with that premise.

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's a bad time and a bad idea, for sure. This is a show that could work with a name like "Black Lives Don't Matter".

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

SirKibbles posted:

remember next season doesn't come out until 2019.

When did this happen? Have a source link?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

SirKibbles posted:

If that's true, maybe the Winds of Winter will come out before...just kidding, it's never coming out.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I imagine it's like being a chef who's a huge fan of a particular cuisine, getting your dream job at a Michelin-starred restaurant. And after a few years of the freshest, most incredible ingredients they start expecting you to make meals out of lard and sawdust. And for the most part the diners still eat this up but you know it's trash.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I've always got it in my head that they'll finish got with a movie. Given the built in fan base it wouldn't be a bad idea to make a $200m film and turn over some Marvel money.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JBP posted:

I've always got it in my head that they'll finish got with a movie. Given the built in fan base it wouldn't be a bad idea to make a $200m film and turn over some Marvel money.

Hahaha, are you kidding? People would hate that, they'd unsubscribe from HBO in droves.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
HBO already said that they're not gonna gently caress over their subscribers like that.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Ah right. I live in Australia so subscribing to something to watch this show is an alien concept to me.

Just make a Bronn and Tyrion buddy cop film instead.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Can't wait for The Winds of Winter, which will be out in 2018 for sure.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Can't wait for The Winds of Winter, which will be out in 2018 for sure.

I love how even if WoW comes out it just means another 5 year wait at minimum for A Dream of Spring. And that's a conservative estimate considering he's now taken 6 years to finish a book that's like 25% composed of poo poo that was already written and cut from the last book. And I'd bet my house that GRRM either officially gives up or dies before then.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Max posted:

To be fair, its not as if GoT is a show that requires a delicate hand.

From what I can gather its going to set in an alternative version of the modern day though, so if they wanted to be funny about it they could always just depict a society that isn't actually that far off what it is now.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I love how even if WoW comes out it just means another 5 year wait at minimum for A Dream of Spring. And that's a conservative estimate considering he's now taken 6 years to finish a book that's like 25% composed of poo poo that was already written and cut from the last book. And I'd bet my house that GRRM either officially gives up or dies before then.

I believe the conspiracy theory that the reason it's taking so long is that he's writing the last two books simultaneously. Let's go Big George.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Also I have a feeling WOW will be really good since the story is kind of at the point where something *has* to happen

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

After two books of build up, all I want is for poo poo to pop off in tWoW. If aDoS never comes out I may be able to deal.

As it is, tWoW is the only way I'll get an answer to the Cat/Jaime/Brienne cliffhanger. Everything else I can guess or infer from how the show did it.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I just want TWOW to resolve the storylines I care about. I know how the story is going to end on a broad level: some combination of Jon, Dany, and Bran do something magical and contrived to stop the Others at great personal cost, and someone assumes rulership of the broken Seven Kingdoms through the winter. The epilogue is set as spring arrives and hope returns to the world and Jon's hand had not pained him in nineteen years. The end.

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.
When GRRM dies, the troll will be the books had been finished for years and he just was some twisted sadist.

Probably not, but you better believe the estate will get ghost writers in and tie this poo poo up.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
It's nerdy as hell but I want to read the Blackfyre theory being confirmed.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

In It For The Tank posted:

I just want TWOW to resolve the storylines I care about.

Pretty much. I like Feast and Dance a lot, much more than most people seem to, but if I don't get some kind of resolution to everything they set up these blue balls are going to kill me. I want to know what happens in Winterfell, with Cat and what the hell book Sansa is moving toward.

I also want to see some actual consequences for Jon coming back to life. Even if he's still mostly himself in there, I can't see GRRM handwaving the resurrection as lazily as the show did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

esperterra posted:

I also want to see some actual consequences for Jon coming back to life. Even if he's still mostly himself in there, I can't see GRRM handwaving the resurrection as lazily as the show did.

Yeah, in the show is like he recovered from a flu or something. Nobody even mentions it

• Locked thread