Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

The Greenwich National Maritime Museum is just down the road from me. They have the actual uniform Nelson was wearing when he was shot (you can see the bullet hole) and it looks like it was made for a skinny 13 year old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Yaws posted:

Why did the Germans have such contempt for the fighting prowess or Americans and Brits during WW2?

Did they? Soldaten has the Americans being seen as spoiled and pampered by all the tech they had available, but British soldiers were referred to as 'as tough as Germans'. (Meanwhile, Russians were basically orcs)

Black Leaf
Nov 19, 2016

by Smythe

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

Uh, they're heavy infantry.

noice

Yaws posted:

Why did the Germans have such contempt for the fighting prowess or Americans and Brits during WW2?

at least hitler didn't have contempt for the fighting prowess of the brits, not sure about americans

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Black Leaf posted:

at least hitler didn't have contempt for the fighting prowess of the brits, not sure about americans

Didn't Hitler have an admiration for the British and the British Empire. Seeing them as almost equals. I remember reading that even if the British were defeated, he wanted to leave their empire intact as Hitler had little interest in off-European colonies. Focusing instead of course on depopulating Poland and Russia and turning it into farmland for Germans.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Deptfordx posted:

The Greenwich National Maritime Museum is just down the road from me. They have the actual uniform Nelson was wearing when he was shot (you can see the bullet hole) and it looks like it was made for a skinny 13 year old.

And the blood of his prize agent who was standing next to him earlier who got torn in half by roundshot!

But yeah, the museum I do volunteer work at has a shitload of British army uniforms from the past the 18th and 19th century ones would look hilarious on me, assuming they'd even fit without tearing. And I'm just a medium sized stocky dude.

Dunkirk still sounds good, but the title should be called Some Boats And Blokes At Dunkirk. Which I will of course do with a sticky note with the DVD in the future.

Black Leaf
Nov 19, 2016

by Smythe

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Didn't Hitler have an admiration for the British and the British Empire. Seeing them as almost equals. I remember reading that even if the British were defeated, he wanted to leave their empire intact as Hitler had little interest in off-European colonies. Focusing instead of course on depopulating Poland and Russia and turning it into farmland for Germans.

Yes, but I meant specifically that he admired the Tommies, because he had served on the front segment that was facing the British. Later, during the WW2, he grew bitter and started to rant and rave against them.

Also lol at:

Nenonen posted:

https://twitter.com/PersianRose1/status/887911306120114180
It's amazing how much more life-like these photos become with colorizing.

e:

steinrokkan posted:

It also help that Stirlitz jokes are Russian memes. Like the line "Stirlitz had never been closer to being uncovered" is just a joke on its own.

I remember one where Stirlitz was surprised about how many coloured people there are in Germany.

Deptfordx posted:

Wasn't this because of the Little Ice Age and because the Midshipmen weren't fed properly?

Black Leaf fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jul 21, 2017

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Also, Russians have some pretty awesome milhist in jokes. The ones about that fictional Hussar and those Red Army soldiers are great.

Black Leaf
Nov 19, 2016

by Smythe

SeanBeansShako posted:

Also, Russians have some pretty awesome milhist in jokes. The ones about that fictional Hussar and those Red Army soldiers are great.

:agreed:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_jokes

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

HEY GAIL posted:

edit 2: scrolling past any mention of dunkirk real fast with my eyes shut over here

Spoilers: The Brits get away (mostly)

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Left behind a shitload of semi obsolete artillery pieces, their tractors and sadly a fuckload of lorries with much needed weapons inside though.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

My favourite is this one -

'-Comrade Petrov, your grandson says you knew our great hero Chapayev, who fought and died for the triumph of communism!
-Indeed, comrade teacher, I once saw the great revolutionary hero Vasily Ivany'ch.
-Oh, my! Please, would you tell the children when you saw him? What do you remember of him?
-Of course. Well, kids, I fought in the civil war. It was a fine morning in September, I remember it as if it were only yesterday... our platoon had had a long march and we were resting on the banks of a river. So I'm sitting there, eating an apple, my machine-gun in my lap. Then suddenly, I see movement - there's some guy swimming across the river. His Lordship the General, next to me, jumps up and shouts "It's Chapayev! Shoot, Ivan, Shoot!"
'

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

SeanBeansShako posted:

Left behind a shitload of semi obsolete artillery pieces, their tractors and sadly a fuckload of lorries with much needed weapons inside though.

It did have the disturbing effect of keeping the 2-pdr in production for a lot longer than should have, and probably some other poo poo too.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I like to think how pissed off the Italian soldiers were when they saw one of those after they surrendered in the early days of the North African campaign.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Not like the 47/32 was any good either though.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

SeanBeansShako posted:

"Hussars, not a word!" is a meme of its own.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Then again some of the even more fantastical planning for post war Europe involves turning the English men over to slavery and the women over to breeding stock.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Disinterested posted:

Then again some of the even more fantastical planning for post war Europe involves turning the English men over to slavery and the women over to breeding stock.

Sir, this is not the Brexit thread.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Picked up two books on urban combat training (1 German, 1 British) and a night fighting book for the eastern front.

:getin:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Disinterested posted:

What planning is this?

Nenonen posted:

Sir, this is not the Brexit thread.

:boom:

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
So, alt-history time!
If the germans had managed (or decided?) To keep pushing to the shores and defeated the 400 000 men stranded there, did the allies have any plan on what they would do if all those men wouldn't manage to get to the brittish isles?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

alt history is loving dumb can we please stop doing this

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I think we're starting to overreact a bit. :v:

Dude's just asking if the British had a plan in case Dunkirk goes poorly.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Picked up two books on urban combat training (1 German, 1 British) and a night fighting book for the eastern front.

:getin:

I hope you brought a lot of grenades

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Panic

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

my dad posted:

Hope the Home Guard is well-trained.

Edit:

MikeCrotch posted:

Well, the German one is for junior officers dated 1940, the british one is a general manual dated 1943.

I think the night combat one is also 1943.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

my dad posted:

It's probably a little harder to divert troops to the small anti-Vichyite projects but overall we all know that the RN, RAF, and German lack of preparation for amphibious warfare were what doomed Sealion. Most French soldiers were repatriated so they did not provide any actual value to the war effort and surrendered several weeks later. I guess perhaps some troops ended up in Egypt eventually but whether that was decisive is tough to tell.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ensign Expendable posted:

Sort of. Seventeen Moments of Spring is an old Soviet TV show about a spy (Stirlitz, the first guy you see) in the German SD trying to find out which one of the nazi elite is trying to arrange a separate peace with the Western Allies. The original was black and white, but it was recently colourized (poorly), plus the new version was missing about 10% of the runtime, so it was rather poorly received.

The video is making fun of the colourization in general, and a specific part in the show where Heinrich Müller finds Stirlitz's fingerprints on a Soviet radio, but since the film was coloured, the fingerprints no longer match.

The original is on Youtube with English subtitles, if you want to watch it.

I'm going to look it up because it reminds me of Allo Allo, or frankly any of the old 1970's British Sitcoms.

E: Oh the original is a serious thriller, sorry I thought that the original was a comedy too.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 21, 2017

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's probably a little harder to divert troops to the small anti-Vichyite projects but overall we all know that the RN, RAF, and German lack of preparation for amphibious warfare were what doomed Sealion. Most French soldiers were repatriated so they did not provide any actual value to the war effort and surrendered several weeks later. I guess perhaps some troops ended up in Egypt eventually but whether that was decisive is tough to tell.

300,000 men is a serious number for a country like the UK. According to wiki's stats, the total number of men who had served in the British Army by the end of World War 2 was 3.5 million*. Now, imagine losing 300,000 combat 'veterans' right after Italy declares war and you only have 36k men in North Africa.

Heck, 300,000 men is 1/5th of the British Army's personnel by June 1940.

*Another spot stated "Over 3.5million"

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 21, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
It'll probably affect the African campaign but wouldn't affect the result, assuming the British government doesn't cut a deal because of it.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

I'm going to look it up because it reminds me of Allo Allo, or frankly any of the old 1970's British Sitcoms.

E: Oh the original is a serious thriller, sorry I thought that the original was a comedy too.

It's very serious, but Stirlitz jokes are a huge genre of Russian humour.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

300,000 men is a serious number for a country like the UK. According to wiki's stats, the total number of men who had served in the British Army by the end of World War 2 was 3.5 million*. Now, imagine losing 300,000 combat 'veterans' right after Italy declares war and you only have 36k men in North Africa.

Heck, 300,000 men is 1/5th of the British Army's personnel by June 1940.

*Another spot stated "Over 3.5million"

The Britsh Army shrunk hardcore and went through some pretty savage budget cuts/constraints after the 1st World War. It only started getting it's poo poo together when it was pretty obvious that Nazi Germany was not going to settle for appeasement and was still desperately preparing, recruiting and modernising when the Phony War ended and Blitzkrieg began.

MikeCrotch posted:

When I hear the words 'grenades' and 'eastern front' I always think back to a hosed up bit set during the 2nd World War in the The Revolutionist Novel by Robert Littell where one of the main characters who was a partisan during the 2nd World War is broken by witnessing his cell more or less being killed by grenades who's fuses were somehow triggered by ice thaw. I really hope that was a fictional example, but knowing the Eastern Front in both world wars....

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I've read more than one account from German sources of tying Russian POWs together then making them the bread in a hand grenade sandwich so it wouldn't surprise me.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Fangz posted:

It'll probably affect the African campaign but wouldn't affect the result, assuming the British government doesn't cut a deal because of it.

Yeah, if you look at the guys fighting in the Western Desert, the Commonwealth provided most of the heavy lifting as well as units in theater. 8th Army at creation was mostly Commonwealth and in-theater units. There was a tank brigade that was reconstituted after service in France, but other than that it looks like the OOB was entirely Commonwealth and in-theater units.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah, if you look at the guys fighting in the Western Desert, the Commonwealth provided most of the heavy lifting as well as units in theater. 8th Army at creation was mostly Commonwealth and in-theater units. There was a tank brigade that was reconstituted after service in France, but other than that it looks like the OOB was entirely Commonwealth and in-theater units.

This is a good question then. What happened to the 300,000 men who were evacuated at Dunkrik? If they were not immediately pressed into service in N. Africa or sent to Greece (god that would be a horrible twist of luck), did they train on the British isles until Overlord? I imagine the French survivors eventually ended up under De Gaulle's command.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Average weight of 144 pounds in WWII? Wow. I knew people were smaller but I never would've guessed by that much.

What about average height?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

This is why we really need more WW1/WW2 Commonwealth memorials in the UK now.

And a bad rear end one for the Free French/Polish/Czechs too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SeanBeansShako posted:

This is why we really need more WW1/WW2 Commonwealth memorials in the UK now.

And a bad rear end one for the Free French/Polish/Czechs too.

A massive bronze 303 squadron spitfire poised in an eternal attack run on UKIP HQ.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Solaris 2.0 posted:

This is a good question then. What happened to the 300,000 men who were evacuated at Dunkrik? If they were not immediately pressed into service in N. Africa or sent to Greece (god that would be a horrible twist of luck), did they train on the British isles until Overlord? I imagine the French survivors eventually ended up under De Gaulle's command.

Only 3000 out of 100,000 French soldiers stayed behind to serve De Gaulle. The rest were repatriated.

The Free French, even moreso than the Commonwealth, were cobbled together from wildly disparate colonial garrisons. I think the soldiers at Bir Hakeim, were from Morroco, Niger, Cameroon, Syria, Tahiti, the Foreign Legion (of all things), plus French officers.

MrMojok posted:

Average weight of 144 pounds in WWII? Wow. I knew people were smaller but I never would've guessed by that much.

What about average height?

Around 5'8''. Everybody had grown up in the Depression, and nutrition was worse across the board.

The Germans weren't really much different on that front. The guy that posted about the Hitler Youth is missing the forest for the trees. It's not that German soldiers were more successful because they were fit, it's because they had decided a few years in advance to mobilize their society for war.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lol, Turtledove is gonna be pissed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

A massive bronze 303 squadron spitfire poised in an eternal attack run on UKIP HQ.

Lets kickstart this sucka.