Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My favorite part of Yesterday's Enterprise is that Picard opens his log with "Military Log, Combat Date numbernumbernumber"

Like, this timeline is so hosed by the war they renamed their calendar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I don't think the Enterprise-C has ever been mentioned outside the confines of Yesterday's Enterprise; which is odd, considering that the (presumed) Federation flagship of its era responded to a distress call from a nowhere Klingon outpost, disappeared for a few moments into the fog of war, and was then torn apart by Romulan warbirds and its crew allegedly 'disappeared' into labour camps.

Given that the 'bad ending' resulted in the Klingon-Federation cold war relations spiralling into an all-out conflict - probably as the Romulans cackled, jabbed both sides with long pointy sticks, and rubbed their hands - surely the 'good ending' of Narendra III should have led to the same thing, only with the Klingons burning Romulan worlds instead?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
The only odd bit about Yesterday's Enterprise is that guinan doesn't really "fit" being on a battleship, but then she can't not be there because she holds the plot together

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

The only odd bit about Yesterday's Enterprise is that guinan doesn't really "fit" being on a battleship, but then she can't not be there because she holds the plot together

Soldiers need booze more than explorers, so of course they're gonna bring the bartender

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

cheetah7071 posted:

My favorite part of Yesterday's Enterprise is that Picard opens his log with "Military Log, Combat Date numbernumbernumber"

Or it is just the log function. Like saying D-Day Plus 3 was a thing.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

spincube posted:

I don't think the Enterprise-C has ever been mentioned outside the confines of Yesterday's Enterprise; which is odd, considering that the (presumed) Federation flagship of its era responded to a distress call from a nowhere Klingon outpost, disappeared for a few moments into the fog of war, and was then torn apart by Romulan warbirds and its crew allegedly 'disappeared' into labour camps.

Given that the 'bad ending' resulted in the Klingon-Federation cold war relations spiralling into an all-out conflict - probably as the Romulans cackled, jabbed both sides with long pointy sticks, and rubbed their hands - surely the 'good ending' of Narendra III should have led to the same thing, only with the Klingons burning Romulan worlds instead?

As usual, the astropolitics of Trek make no sense. Two years after the Romulans blew up the Ent-C and Narendra III, they were still the Klingons' allies somehow. Then they blew up the colony on Khitomer with Duras' help and the Klingons got the message.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

She knows mind kung fu and she has a giant space rifle under her bar, she is probably more capable than most of the security staff on the Enterprise.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Is it, though? Are 23rd and 24th century humans good because of the technology they use, or because they've put in the work it takes to become more enlightened?

It sort of hangs on both the technology making it easier, and some kind of Age of Aquarius great awakening after meeting the Vulcans and realizing we are actually all in this together.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

skasion posted:

As usual, the astropolitics of Trek make no sense. Two years after the Romulans blew up the Ent-C and Narendra III, they were still the Klingons' allies somehow. Then they blew up the colony on Khitomer with Duras' help and the Klingons got the message.

There's also stuff like having the Cardassians be introduced as a major(ish) interstellar power in the middle of the fourth season out of nowhere, leaving the fans to backfill the 24th century and figure out how they would have fit in with everything else. (Though come to think of it, I've never seen anyone come up with a decent in-universe explanation as to why the Cardassians were nonentities in the TOS/TOS movie era.)

As for Klingon-Romulan relations, they seem to have a weird love-hate relationship. They were pretty chummy in TOS, but had become bitter rivals by the movie era (according to Geordi in the "Redemption" two-parter). They then got chummy again in the early-mid 24th century, only for the whole Narendra III/Khitomer thing to happen. Personally I accept seesaws like that by just assuming there is tons of internal and external politics that we're just not seeing onscreen.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
It's not like ridiculous seemingly nonsensical bullshit happens in real life politics, no siree bob

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

Jeb! Repetition posted:

ShiiiiIIIIIIIIIT

I always thought this was cool as a mecha nerd because, like parts of the Constellation before it, that bit of shrapnel is a VF-1 wing from Macross. It's hard to picture 80's/90's anime nerds but they existed and worked on Star Trek.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Marshal Radisic posted:

There's also stuff like having the Cardassians be introduced as a major(ish) interstellar power in the middle of the fourth season out of nowhere, leaving the fans to backfill the 24th century and figure out how they would have fit in with everything else. (Though come to think of it, I've never seen anyone come up with a decent in-universe explanation as to why the Cardassians were nonentities in the TOS/TOS movie era.)

As for Klingon-Romulan relations, they seem to have a weird love-hate relationship. They were pretty chummy in TOS, but had become bitter rivals by the movie era (according to Geordi in the "Redemption" two-parter). They then got chummy again in the early-mid 24th century, only for the whole Narendra III/Khitomer thing to happen. Personally I accept seesaws like that by just assuming there is tons of internal and external politics that we're just not seeing onscreen.

I always assumed Cardassians were a B or C-rate power pretty consistently, and thus just weren't relevant to the show in TOS. The war with the Federation was very one-sided and the treaty only happened because the feds wanted peace more than they wanted to win. I think this is pretty consistent with how they're depicted

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Can we all just pretend the Yangs and the Kohms were early nationalistic human colonists?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

cheetah7071 posted:

This is even reflected in the officer uniforms. They're starchier with higher tight collars like US navy service dress, plus there's more black and a phaser holster worn at all times.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Timby posted:

Jerry Doyle was such a weird creeper that his way of hitting on Andrea Thompson on the Babylon 5 sets would be to wait in the elevator for her character to walk in. The doors would open and he'd be standing there naked from the waist down. He did it so often they actually worked it into an episode.

They were married for a while after that, weren't they?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

When you poop on a starship, does it land with a splash or a thud?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

spincube posted:

I'm betting the Romulans were providing material support to the Klingons throughout the conflict, whereas the Federation wouldn't have been hot to team up with the Klingons on a genocide campaign.

I'm also betting that right after the surrendered Federation fleet is broken up for scrap, the Romulans attack the Klingons en masse.

Marshal Radisic posted:

That seems simple enough to me, they just hadn't encountered the Cardassians yet during TOS. I mean I know DS9 loved to shrink the setting (I remember one episode where they're terrified of the Dominion fleet somehow rolling right up to Earth in the span of just a few days, when even TNG had most ships at least a couple weeks travel away from the Klingon border) but I don't at all see why the Cardassians had to have always been involved with the Federation.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

hiddenriverninja posted:

When you poop on a starship, does it land with a splash or a thud?

It lands with a https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nrb8TlAaiw&t=0m4s

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

24th century sphincters have become atrophied and weak from underuse

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Marshal Radisic posted:

I mean, I don't find it extremely far fetched that Cardies are a nonentity in TOS era but are at least second rate power in TNG. Seemingly insignificant states in our own world's history have risen to become world leaders in the space of a century. Like in 1845 plenty of people would have been skeptical that the USA would be a global superpower a hundred years later. Yeah it's presented a bit sloppily in the show but it doesn't strike me as implausible that they WERE nonentities in TOS era. At least not in the same way it seems implausible that the Romulans blew up a Klingon colony and Federation ship without provocation and just a couple years later, when they again blew up a Klingon colony without provocation, the Klingons were like "what a cowardly act of backstabbing treachery!"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It would be cool if trek was written from day one with even a rough sort of map in mind, the basic political geography of the universe and who's who, but it wasn't. They made poo poo up on the spot episode to episode and it's impossible to read anything deeper or try to make a proper map or timeline of the trek universe. Empires border each other when the plot calls for it, but suddenly they don't interact for centuries when it doesn't. Nations are as powerful as they need to be for the specific episode, one day being an equal rival to the federation, the next being a more minor power.

Sometimes the federation is space 21st century america, the lone super power surrounded by various regional powers.
Sometimes the federation is space early to mid 20th century america, a great power with a bunch of well matched rivals locked in cold war.

Sometimes the federation is just the USA and the federation members are like US states, sometimes it's the entirety of NATO, with earth being the US and the rest of the federation more like the rest of NATO. It entirely depends on the episode, let alone series.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Gotta laugh at the idea of the Gangster Planet eventually becoming a superpower.

"Nyeh to you and all your associates, I'm the Capo of the Mobship Hooligan. Hand over the Latinum, see? Nyeh!"

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

It would be cool if trek was written from day one with even a rough sort of map in mind, the basic political geography of the universe and who's who, but it wasn't. They made poo poo up on the spot episode to episode and it's impossible to read anything deeper or try to make a proper map or timeline of the trek universe. Empires border each other when the plot calls for it, but suddenly they don't interact for centuries when it doesn't. Nations are as powerful as they need to be for the specific episode, one day being an equal rival to the federation, the next being a more minor power.

Sometimes the federation is space 21st century america, the lone super power surrounded by various regional powers.
Sometimes the federation is space early to mid 20th century america, a great power with a bunch of well matched rivals locked in cold war.

Sometimes the federation is just the USA and the federation members are like US states, sometimes it's the entirety of NATO, with earth being the US and the rest of the federation more like the rest of NATO. It entirely depends on the episode, let alone series.

Yeah, absolutely. It makes sense one episode at a time, at best. One more legacy of the syndication age...

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

cheetah7071 posted:

And his voice gets lower.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

vermin posted:

24th century sphincters have become atrophied and weak from underuse

Zager and Evans posted:

You ain't gonna need your teeth, won't need your eyes
You won't find a thing to chew
Nobody's gonna look at you

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

They were married for a while after that, weren't they?

For a little over a year. They had a messy divorce--I think Thompson at one point alleged abuse--and at the time of his death, she said they hadn't had any contact with one another for years.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I just started watching the ep where they introduced the Cardassians ("The Wounded"), it already feels like a DS9 ep with Obrien and Keiko and Good Guy Dukat.

e: The Cardassian in 10 forward just pronounced kanar as kay-nar. Totally ruins this classic image.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 21, 2017

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Shibawanko posted:

e: The Cardassian in 10 forward just pronounced kanar as kay-nar. Totally ruins this classic image.

Just like a Cardassian, he was only following orders.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The Cardassophobic captain is the warden from shawshank redemption

shadok posted:

Just like a Cardassian, he was only following orders.

Oh my God...

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

So obviously the Klingons and Romulans were bitter rivals before the communists took over, but became close allies afterward until the Klingons started drifting away from Stalinism and Nixon went to Romulus. Then the Berlin Wall fell and the Klingons became "allies" of the Federation, but still stabbed them in the back every now and then while the Romulans gradually became less isolationist, but still weren't entirely friendly with the other two powers and used their opaque political system and provacative military exercises to keep their rivals off balance. They still claim Vulcan as a province, but aren't about to go to war with the Federation over it.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
It's a regional thing, like Whisky/Whiskey. Problem solved.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe KAYnar and kuhNAR are different drinks and that's why sometimes it looks like blue koolaid Romulan ale and sometimes molasses

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

He was from a backwood part of Cardassia and has a strong accent he sometimes gets poo poo for from coworkers.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

remusclaw posted:

He was from a backwood part of Cardassia and has a strong accent he sometimes gets poo poo for from coworkers.

Lots of planets have a north...
...*dry heave*

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

You don't wanna drink that kanar from the Cardassian backwoods, let me tell you.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Delsaber posted:

You don't wanna drink that kanar from the Cardassian backwoods, let me tell you.

My cousin Selik tells me they put yamok sauce in that poo poo. :barf:

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

remusclaw posted:

I think though that there is no bumfuck anywhere on Earth anymore by that point, though the opening of JJ Trek would refute that a generation or so earlier in the timeline. Anyone who is anywhere is there because that is where they want to be.

Plus transporters make the basic complications of travel for hobby/business go away completely. You can have a six-story house with beautiful views in the middle of bumfuck nowhere where nobody will ever bother you when you want some privacy, and still transport to the middle of Paris whenever you want.

Frionnel posted:

http://www.startrek.com/article/star-trek-discovery-gallery-opens-at-comic-con

More Discovery designs.

I love all the Fed stuff and even some Klingon props. The rest though... eh.

I like the Starfleet stuff, but all the Klingon stuff looks like they suddenly gained the fashion sense of the drow from D&D.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I would also guess, based only on supposition really as it is never touched on in the series, that birth rates in the Federation are really really low as the motivators for large families have declined or been de-emphasized. This coupled with the Human diaspora into the stars and the massive loss of life that occurred during WW3 makes it likely that land is far more available on Earth than it would be otherwise.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 22, 2017

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The detail on those Klingon helmets makes me drool. The intricate patterning, the lacelike interweaving squiggles, the gestures towards calligraphy... Those are very, very sexy helmets.

I just feel like they made the Klingons a bit more obsessed with material culture than I think they really would be. They strike me more as the kind of race that likes one fine sword to live with and die with, and the rest is ephemeral culture like opera and bardic tales and drinking and blood-letting and hitting each other with sticks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Paradoxish posted:

It's completely reasonable to say that a society can attach enough cultural value to (for example) being a scientist that people pursue it despite there being no material rewards for doing so. Hell, it's true in real life since most people who go into pure research could almost certainly being make more money doing almost anything else.

That's a really big edge for the Federation. Everyone they have with science talents can go do pure research into whatever interests them. If you're brilliant and publish influential papers, you can borrow Starfleet's flagship to gently caress around with a star. If you aren't, you were able to at least spend your life coming up with a bad solution to Fermat's Last Theorem, that nobody will ever read, instead of stocking shelves at StarMart.

As for family sizes, I think it's more likely that people would have families as large as they wanted. How many families today have to limit their number of children because of economic factors ? I'd guess most of them. Sure, for every person who thinks raising 10 kids would put a damper on her geology career but is planning ahead to huge family expeditions, there's going to be a couple or two who just want one or two so kids don't consume their lives.