Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Osama Dozen-Dongs posted:

Never seen anyone say Japan or Sri Lanka aren't in Asia, though, so there probs isn't any consistent system behind it.

I thought that was a common thing in Japan, to say they're not part of Asia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Andorra posted:

I thought that was a common thing in Japan, to say they're not part of Asia.

No

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_East_Asia_Co-Prosperity_Sphere

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
So what’s Greenland then?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Krispy Kareem posted:

So what’s Greenland then?

Cold as gently caress.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Phanatic posted:

They're almost certainly related to the person they're loving. The app is to make sure they're not first cousins.

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/iceland-incest-app

I am a black American and when I visited Iceland, I strongly considered using "I'm definitely not related to you" as a goofy pickup line. :q:

Iceland is nice, and Icelandair is a nice airline.

walrusman posted:

And thanks to a massive effort to increase their profile as a tourist destination, Iceland is among the cheapest places on earth to fly to. Round-trip flights from the west coast go on sale for <$300 all the time, and those people live on the east coast, which routinely sees <$200 fares. I've also seen lots of promos where you can fly, say, from Seattle to Paris for $400 on IcelandAir with up to four days' layover in Reykjavik for free. They really, really want you to visit.

Of course once you're on the ground there, it's basically Tokyo pricing - $300+ for a hotel, $100pp for a simple restaurant meal, etc.

The most expensive thing I ate in Iceland was a whale steak dinner with two beers for like $30. Where on earth did you go, and what did you eat when you were there? Also, this was in 2014, if it makes any difference.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I have an extra 2 weeks of vacation time burning a hole in my year and I'm thinking about spending a week of it in Iceland on a whim. I doubt any of my friends will go with me so is there a bunch of fun stuff to do on your own out there? I make friends super easy so finding groups to hang out with at bars and stuff isn't an issue for the night side of it, but for the day is there a lot of hiking or tours and stuff?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Solice Kirsk posted:

I have an extra 2 weeks of vacation time burning a hole in my year and I'm thinking about spending a week of it in Iceland on a whim. I doubt any of my friends will go with me so is there a bunch of fun stuff to do on your own out there? I make friends super easy so finding groups to hang out with at bars and stuff isn't an issue for the night side of it, but for the day is there a lot of hiking or tours and stuff?

Rent a car do the Golden Circle and/or the Ring Road. Nothing but amazing scenery and places to hike. You will need transport to get to these places. Ideally the car will be a camper and you won't be tied to a city and can just keep moving around the country.

Go, you will love it.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Solice Kirsk posted:

My wife went to Iceland on her own a couple of years before we met and had a great time. There's a ton of tours and things leaving Reykjavik daily. Try the A/T Iceland thread toom

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
This is a really good marketing move for Iceland. People speaking positively of it in a pleasant tone on the internet. I might have to go one day.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
My wife and I are going to Iceland for our 10th wedding anniversary in a couple months. When I saw people start to talk about it here I was all,":oh no", but now I'm glad it seems like a cool place.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

enigmahfc posted:

it seems like a cool place.

That seems like an easy thing to know about Iceland tbh :v:

Fast edit: if I wasn't phone posting, I'd be writing a thread fitting thing about how Iceland ans Greenland seem to have the opposite name from what they are (Iceland being pretty green, and Greenland quite icy)

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

YeahTubaMike posted:

I am a black American and when I visited Iceland, I strongly considered using "I'm definitely not related to you" as a goofy pickup line. :q:

Iceland is nice, and Icelandair is a nice airline.

Did it work?

quote:

The most expensive thing I ate in Iceland was a whale steak dinner with two beers for like $30. Where on earth did you go, and what did you eat when you were there? Also, this was in 2014, if it makes any difference.

I still haven't been, but my parents went at Christmastime last year and a good friend just got back a couple weeks ago and both said the same thing. My dad even saved some receipts because he didn't think people would believe them. They're savvy travelers, too, not rubes eating in the bar at the Four Seasons every day.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Serperoth posted:

That seems like an easy thing to know about Iceland tbh :v:

Fast edit: if I wasn't phone posting, I'd be writing a thread fitting thing about how Iceland ans Greenland seem to have the opposite name from what they are (Iceland being pretty green, and Greenland quite icy)

Ice is nice and green is mean. They said that in D2: The mighty Ducks. Although Iceland is the villain in it, so I dunno.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I really wanna go to Iceland but flights from New Zealand are like $3000 :smith:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

YeahTubaMike posted:

I mean but how retarded would you feel if one in a million chance they were. never risk it imo

just a H O T tip from this resterautn poster

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

e: restaurant*

*Renaissance

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

cptn_dr posted:

I really wanna go to Iceland but flights from New Zealand are like $3000 :smith:

Aren’t flights from New Zealand to anywhere like $3000? Except Australia. You can vacation there all the time.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Yeah, pretty much. At least we have some nice views here too.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

cptn_dr posted:

Was gonna say, ya, going to Iceland is expensive, but on the flip side, you're in New Zealand, which is pretty much Iceland, only bigger, and it has Kakapos.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

walrusman posted:

Did it work?

I did fairly well for myself up there without having to use any pickup lines at all :smug:

quote:

My dad even saved some receipts because he didn't think people would believe them. They're savvy travelers, too, not rubes eating in the bar at the Four Seasons every day.

That's shocking. Your dad must have expensive taste.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Indolent Bastard posted:

Rent a car do the Golden Circle and/or the Ring Road. Nothing but amazing scenery and places to hike. You will need transport to get to these places. Ideally the car will be a camper and you won't be tied to a city and can just keep moving around the country.

Go, you will love it.

Renting a camper and driving it around the whole island sounds loving fantastic!

edit:
Holy poo poo, the whole island is only like 900 miles around. I wouldn't even have to drive 8 hour days to fit the whole road into a week.

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 03:17 on Jul 22, 2017

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Solice Kirsk posted:

Renting a camper and driving it around the whole island sounds loving fantastic!

edit:
Holy poo poo, the whole island is only like 900 miles around. I wouldn't even have to drive 8 hour days to fit the whole road into a week.

The blue lagoon was pretty cool too, but it's super touristy and really only merits a couple hours visit.
The university in Reykjavik does a bunch of neat game and AI stuff, my brother in law is a professor there.
Definitely get out of the city and drive the coast and circle though, it's incredible.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

cptn_dr posted:

You should fly from Chicago instead. Flights are only like $500!

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

cptn_dr posted:

If you're not picky and are in the praying mood you can get to quite a few destinations for <$1,000 on AirAsia

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

dissss posted:

If you're not picky and are in the praying mood you can get to quite a few destinations for <$1,000 on AirAsia

Catholic school will finally pay off!

A GODDAMN TYPO
Oct 22, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

Any country that competes in Eurovision is Europe

Australia.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

is obviously a part of Europe

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Israel

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Europe

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Russia is both Europe and Asia, so obviously countries can identify as more than one continent.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Denmark is in Europe and North America.

France is in Europe and South America.

Turkey is in Europe and Asia.

Egypt is in Africa and Asia.

It’s not particularly rare.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Platystemon posted:

Denmark is in Europe and North America.

France is in Europe and South America.

Turkey is in Europe and Asia.

Egypt is in Africa and Asia.

It’s not particularly rare.

France is also in north America. St Pierre and michelon

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

ilmucche posted:

France is also in north America. St Pierre and michelon

And Africa. Actually I think there's France on every continent (maybe not Asia?)

Also unlike most other countries like the UK, Netherlands etc. where the far-flung bits are in constitutionally weird situations or basically independent, France considers all of those bits to be Actual France.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Don't even get into whether Australia is an island or a continent or both. I like to think it's as good a place as any to draw the dividing line.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
France USED to be in Asia...then well, Vietnam happened

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

When yakko sings the countries of the world he lists Asia

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Every landmass is an island

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I am a level 100 top genius so don't beat yourself up for not knowing that

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Hell, England's a tiny island at the same longitude as the middle of Canada and Russia. We're lucky we've got the transatlantic current keeping us warm like a big, wet, security blanket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

BioEnchanted posted:

Hell, England's a tiny island at the same longitude as the middle of Canada and Russia. We're lucky we've got the transatlantic current keeping us warm like a big, wet, security blanket.

Not for long you won't.