Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The N52 was cool. Especially Superbro, Azzarello's WW, RHATO, Flash, Johns' GL, Aquaman, JLD, All Star Western, Winnick's Batwing, Superboy and even TT had some fun stuff going with it. :colbert:

I liked Azz’s Wonder Woman but a lot of the rest of what you listed is garbage. N52 Superboy? Seriously? Even liking Red Hood like you do I find it hard to believe you or anyone could have liked N52 Superboy.

The N52 was a creative failure and a long and painful drown out one that took DC years to admit. And lucky for us they eventually did. That’s not to say there weren’t a few nuggets of quality in there, but it was a rough few years.

X-O fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I'm not actually a fan of the clay origin for Wonder Woman. To me she's much more interesting as a demigoddess.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

X-O posted:

I liked Azz’s Wonder Woman but a lot of the rest of what you listed is garbage. N52 Superboy? Seriously? Even liking Red Hood like you do I find it hard to believe you or anyone could have liked N52 Superboy.

The N52 was a creative failure and a long and painful drown out one that took DC years to admit. And lucky for us they eventually did. That’s not to say there weren’t a few nuggets of quality in there, but it was a rough few years.

New 52 Teen Titans is the worst ongoing DC's put out in decades so that's not even the worst of his errors.

CapnAndy posted:

I'm not actually a fan of the clay origin for Wonder Woman. To me she's much more interesting as a demigoddess.

The reason I prefer the clay origin is because it inherently puts the emphasis and importance of Diana's birth on her mother. For a character who literally embodies female characters getting their shot in comics I really dislike moving the focus of Diana's lineage from motherhood to who her father is by reframing her existence on the fact that she's just another consequence of Zeus' ever wandering loins. She becomes less Wonder Woman and more She-Hercules. Shercules? Whatever.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 21, 2017

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

X-O posted:

I enjoyed the way Lobdell built Kon's character over the series (in particular his friendship with Bunker). Then again, I don't have any strong attachment for the old DCU so I didn't have any issue with the approach editorial took with the N52. If anything, that made me like the N52 more. I bought more comics during the first years of the N52 than I've done before or after -since DCYOU and Rebirth the only book I'm still buying is RHATO.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Barry Convex posted:

anyways, Arkham Asylum 2 is cool and all but I don't really understand why it's called that - Damian as protagonist and CB on art means it'll have a drastically different feel from the original.
It's the zeitgeist: Arkham Asylum came out in the midst of proto-Vertigo Comics Aren't For Kids Dark and Murky Art and Twisted Psychological Take These Characters Seriously As Ma Men British Invasion era of comics.

In 2018, the zeitgeist will be bright and shiny and Damien will fight his way through the Comedian, Colonel Sanders, some Ninja Turtles, Archie and Jughead, Thomas Wayne as Batman, Thomas Wayne as Owl-Man, Thomas Wayne as The Joker, Thomas Wayne as The Shadow, Scooby Doo, the cast of the Big Bang Theory, Sonic the Hedgehog, and finally Skeletor merged with Megatron merged with Elmer Fudd.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Tails Gets Trolled / Damian Wayne crossover sounds spectacular

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU

Edge & Christian posted:

In 2018, the zeitgeist will be bright and shiny and Damien will fight his way through the Comedian, Colonel Sanders, some Ninja Turtles, Archie and Jughead, Thomas Wayne as Batman, Thomas Wayne as Owl-Man, Thomas Wayne as The Joker, Thomas Wayne as The Shadow, Scooby Doo, the cast of the Big Bang Theory, Sonic the Hedgehog, and finally Skeletor merged with Megatron merged with Elmer Fudd.

yo I'd fuckin read this

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

X-O posted:

D_T actually said Superbro, not Superboy. As in, the nickname given the N52 Superman after he got his new look and post-crisis Superman popped up. Which, to be fair, had a great run under Morrison and a decent one after.

That said, the rest of D_T's post is bad, as par for the course.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Oh yeah, there's a new Colonel Sanders crossover comic, isn't there. I have to get on that.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

glitchwraith posted:

D_T actually said Superbro, not Superboy. As in, the nickname given the N52 Superman after he got his new look and post-crisis Superman popped up. Which, to be fair, had a great run under Morrison and a decent one after.

That said, the rest of D_T's post is bad, as par for the course.

They said Superbro and Superboy :v:

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Roth posted:

They said Superbro and Superboy :v:

Whoops. Missed that. Carry on then.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Half of this thread is about DTs horrible opinions

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Two Tone Shoes posted:

The reason I prefer the clay origin is because it inherently puts the emphasis and importance of Diana's birth on her mother. For a character who literally embodies female characters getting their shot in comics I really dislike moving the focus of Diana's lineage from motherhood to who her father is by reframing her existence on the fact that she's just another consequence of Zeus' ever wandering loins. She becomes less Wonder Woman and more She-Hercules. Shercules? Whatever.
I get that, how making her creation a thing devoid of any male influence shores up her most fundamental underlying theme, but that's... sort of also my issue with it. It's her most fundamental underlying theme. She's already got it, in spades, so why gild the lily? Also, it's great for making Wonder Woman's origin richer, but you can't tell any stories with it -- at least I can't think of any and can't remember any stories where Wonder Woman being made from clay actually created an interesting plotline. But Wonder Woman already interacts with the gods of Olympus all the dang time, and putting her on a more equal platform with them and giving her a right to a place in Olympus itself gives you a ton of new stories to tell, along with stuff like, yeah, contrasting her with other demigods like Hercules (who's a total cockbag in DC).

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

CapnAndy posted:

I get that, how making her creation a thing devoid of any male influence shores up her most fundamental underlying theme, but that's... sort of also my issue with it. It's her most fundamental underlying theme. She's already got it, in spades, so why gild the lily? Also, it's great for making Wonder Woman's origin richer, but you can't tell any stories with it -- at least I can't think of any and can't remember any stories where Wonder Woman being made from clay actually created an interesting plotline. But Wonder Woman already interacts with the gods of Olympus all the dang time, and putting her on a more equal platform with them and giving her a right to a place in Olympus itself gives you a ton of new stories to tell, along with stuff like, yeah, contrasting her with other demigods like Hercules (who's a total cockbag in DC).

She also doesn't need to be Zeus' bastard to be put on an equal platform with the gods. If you want her to be a demigoddess super badly then make her a bastard child of a female god but I'd rather just scrap that all together. But just being another Zeus baby is stupid and undermines what she represents. She's a man's mistake instead of a woman's intent.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

It's dumb because it takes her and makes her father the most important part of her origin, not her mother. The fact that you're going "it's easier to tell stories about her father than her mother, that's why it is good" is exactly why it's a bad thing, especially because there are no shortage of stories about her mother.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

She definitely doesn't need to have been physically sired by Zeus (or indeed, by anybody) to literally BE a god, post-Crisis clay baby Diana was already the God of Truth for a while.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/888460692252233728

Christ, the Batman shilling is getting ridiculous.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's a Batman focused event by a Batman writer :shrug:

e: I know the Batman/JL one-shots will be written by other people.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 21, 2017

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/888460692252233728

Christ, the Batman shilling is getting ridiculous.

Says the obsessed fan of a former Batman sidekick/Batman spinoff character.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Teenage Fansub posted:

Yeah that is the problem. I'm sick of Snyder obsession to write the next DKR.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ah, my favorite villains Batman, Batman, Batman, Batman, Batman, and Batwoman.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Good thing only a handful of current comics are tying in. Avoid it.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 21, 2017

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Batman actually rules as a villian so whatever

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Then don't read it

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Oh I stopped reading anything from him a long while ago but experience has taught me that sooner or later his stories end dragging RHATO with them. Even more now that RHATO is back with the Batman office.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 21, 2017

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
They just announced The Terrifics, a new Dark Matter team book by Lemire with Mr. Terrific, Plastic Man, Metamorpho, and Phantom Girl. Basically the Fantastic Four, but with Reed Richards' powers and intellect split into two characters and no real Human Torch analogue.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Barry Convex posted:

They just announced The Terrifics, a new Dark Matter team book by Lemire with Mr. Terrific, Plastic Man, Metamorpho, and Phantom Girl. Basically the Fantastic Four, but with Reed Richards' powers and intellect split into two characters and no real Human Torch analogue.

I hope this is a good book. Those are four good underutilized characters.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yessssssssss

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Barry Convex posted:

They need to have Fire guest star.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'd be much more interested if it were a solo Mr. Terrific book. And not at all related to this Dark Matter stuff.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I got a fun image in my head of you punting a cat cause there might be something in Dark Matter that you want to read.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They couldn't fit in Firestorm?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teenage Fansub posted:

I got a fun image in my head of you punting a cat cause there might be something in Dark Matter that you want to read.

Luckily the cats are safe as so far there's no danger of that.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I mentioned yesterday that Plas' white costume was him joining the Future Foundation :D

Lemire coming back is amazing. After Doomsday Clock chuck him on JL and let him bring back that Native Canadian season power girl he made up for JLU.

edit: Mostly amazing in that I was sure he was leaving B2 comics for good when he quit all of his Marvel stuff.

ee: He's also doing Hawkman Found for Metal.

X-O posted:

EDIT: Oh Jesus, Hawkman is not at all what I meant.

So far, that's just a one-shot, but Lemire fuckin' loves Hawkman. Him doing a solo is very likely.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 21, 2017

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I like the idea of Lemire being back but why can't he do a good solo book though and play to his strengths?

EDIT: Oh Jesus, Hawkman is not at all what I meant.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

What's the appeal of Mr Terrific? I've only seen him the Justice League cartoon and small roles in some Justice League comcis

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Sinners Sandwich posted:

What's the appeal of Mr Terrific? I've only seen him the Justice League cartoon and small roles in some Justice League comcis

Johns' JSA run was really good and made lots of characters really cool.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Norns posted:

Half of this thread is about DTs horrible opinions

There's a real simple solution for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I tend to have a love for smaller less popular characters and Mr. Terrific is one of those in DC I love. And it always bums me out when those characters I love get stuck in books I have no interest in, like Mr. Terrific in the later Earth 2 stuff or how they can't seem to get anything going with Adam Strange not weighed down by lovely Hawkman stuff.