Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Should the whole early game just not matter then?

no it should but it should not roll out of control like it used to where some 30 kill akali fights some 20 kill irelia or other dumb poo poo. right now snowballing is fine where you can start balling in a lane but not singlehandedly carry your team

there is a middle ground between "whoever gets first blood in a solo lane wins the game" and "the game only starts after the first team fight at 30 minutes like god intended"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
There's a middle ground between surrendering at 15 most games and heroes of the storm's Who's Line is it Anyway rules

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

The 'snowball' effect is almost irrelevant. For example:

Assuming A is level 10 and has 10 lethality (for easy math). Player B is level 8.

With the old lethality scaling, player A has 10*(0.6+0.4*8/18) = ~7.8 Armor Pen against player B.
With the new lethality scaling, player A has 10*(0.6+0.4*10/18) = ~8.2 Armor Pen against player B.

The change to lethality scaling, due the way it's calculated, is largely inconsequential (it's only really noticeable in scenarios where the level gap is so wide you loving lost the game already rear end in a top hat quit bitching).

Duskblade really is the problem; there's just a lot of power front-loaded into the passive against targets that aren't armor stacking.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Snowballing in hots is actually super loving hard to deal with in pro play and gm ladder. Exp is global but you will still see some teams down like 3 levels + a talent tier, which makes it nearly impossible to win a team fight.

Edit: imagine you're 1v1 top lane. When you solo kill your opponent instead of just getting an advantage on them your whole team gets a level.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Plus the incredibly punishing death timers. Those games are significantly shorter because you're out of a match for a minute like ten minutes into the game

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Teikanmi posted:

On one hand, coin income is broken. On the other hand, you're playing Janna, the Most Boring Champion in The Game. Might as well take it on Brand and kill poo poo instead >:)

Or just have the best of both worlds. :colbert:

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Venuz Patrol posted:

i think tank supports are technically the most powerful in this patch because you want both solo laners and the jungler to be assassins. jannas good for the same reason

you don't need a tank with how busted shields are and have been for some time. When Janna/Karma/Sona can throw an extra 1k health a minute on to someone with bonuses to a-speed and lifesteal from ardent censor, a 255+40% heal from Athenes, then drop a redemption heal for a 1k+.

You don't need a wall of meat when it's your entire team.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i've seen more than zero sona mid players and neither one built ardent censor which pissed me off massively

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Venuz Patrol posted:

i've seen more than zero sona mid players and neither one built ardent censor which pissed me off massively

I think the problem is that Ardent Censer just feels really underwhelming as the support, even though it's absolutely loving busted on certain champs when you look at the math underneath the hood.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vermain posted:

I think the problem is that Ardent Censer just feels really underwhelming as the support, even though it's absolutely loving busted on certain champs when you look at the math underneath the hood.

Made for Sona

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I wonder if Ardent Censer will remain as it is by the time preseason rolls around, honestly. Part of the reason Sona got reworked was because they were really against the idea of the "hidden power" that was a part of her kit, and I can't think of any power more hidden than potentially giving multiple people the equivalent of 2/3rds of a BoRK. I think Sona and Lux are the only ones who can actually maintain it indefinitely on multiple targets, but it's genuinely crazy how fast things die if you can bounce Ardent onto 2+ AD members forever.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Vermain posted:

I think Sona and Lux are the only ones who can actually maintain it indefinitely on multiple targets

taric

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Snowballing in hots is actually super loving hard to deal with in pro play and gm ladder. Exp is global but you will still see some teams down like 3 levels + a talent tier, which makes it nearly impossible to win a team fight.

Edit: imagine you're 1v1 top lane. When you solo kill your opponent instead of just getting an advantage on them your whole team gets a level.

One of the three major reasons why I dislike HotS. If a single player gets fed in League, it's possible to play around that because champions have specific strengths and weaknesses. It's not possible to play around an entire team getting fed.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Why should it be possible to play around an entire team being fed dude lol.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Work Friend Keven posted:

Why should it be possible to play around an entire team being fed dude lol.

in Heroes of the Swarm only one person has to "get fed" for the entire team to get fed because XP is shared by the whole team; thus, he dislikes HotS because one person on your team being lovely means you lose, whereas in other MOBAs you can generally handle one fed player.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
That's not how it plays out.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

That's not how it plays out.

I don't know how it plays out in normal games (I imagine 'nothing matters' until a single late game team fight) but it definitely is that way in the semi pro scene and high ladder. I've been in the top 500 before and if your solo laner was worse than your opponents the game was very very very difficult because you would lose levels of experience when he got soloed

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I kind of have to just be willing to exist in the world and everyone is happy to own themselves around me. Something I've noticed.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

drat... off to a bad start. goku tried a high level mind game strategy and it did not pay out.. how is he going to get out of this one? he will have to get fed off his rear end to pull a win out the hat like some sort of loving jungle houd-

ah.. yup. golden rule trinity force. that will do it. 13 minute trinity force on jarvan and that is as good as locked in with the game. lets fast forward to the final score and see how goku fares... but i am predicting an easy win for this one.

to no surprise here, goku ended up destroying the leaderboard and the entire enemy team with most kills, gold, highest kill participation, and second highest level in the game, even though the useless zed who after falling for the alt f4 trick in 2017 later accidentally built two duskblades and is literally named "lederpinator" was on his team, goku managed to pull through. i think we all know what the score for this game is...

ah yes, S-, and not S+. great work as always by riot games algorithm for awarding players the appropriate medallions. can someone tell me how to install that chinese league of legends ripoff

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

There are multiple posts on this page in favor of lux support and I just have to say please keep it up boys cause it's freelo for anyone who plays real supports.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Gold in both queues now boys :toot:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yay

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Gold in both queues now boys :toot:

Congratulations!!

Camel Camus posted:

There are multiple posts on this page in favor of lux support and I just have to say please keep it up boys cause it's freelo for anyone who plays real supports.

I mean, I'll let you know if I ever hit Diamond, but she's honestly just fine in Plat and below. I think there's a few factors conspiring to make her average winrate so abysmal:
  • Lux is really, really hard to play well, even in midlane, and this is greatly amplified in botlane against more conventional supports. Compare something like Lux versus Lulu pre-6: they've got shields, some damage, and some CC. Lulu has point-and-click CC, a point and click damage spell that can be comboed into a nearly unavoidable Glitterlance, and a point-and-click shield. Lux has an AoE damage spell that sucks unless you can get in an auto immediately after, skillshot CC that does not bypass the creep line, and a shield that requires you to both aim it well and position yourself well after to get the full effect off. Basically, the level of execution required to do as good as an average Lulu player (or Janna player, or Zyra player, etc.) is a lot higher.
  • Lux has pre-rework Zyra's biggest problem: she's slow as poo poo and made of paper. If you repeatedly take bad trades or misposition yourself, you're going to get chunked and die, and that's pretty easy to do in botlane if you have only a vague idea of what you're doing.
  • People don't understand some of her subtler strengths as a support and don't play around them appropriately. Her level 2 all-in is really strong if you stagger your passive properly and have someone like Jhin who can follow up on it. She is unparalleled when it comes to doing brush checks with E, and the fact that you're building a billion mana regen means that you can afford to do so without running yourself dry.
  • People build her to try and do midlane Lux's thing on a support budget, and it just doesn't work unless you're already snowballing out of control. Morellonomicon is built in a staggering 53%+ of games on her, despite the fact that the winrate with it is below 50% in every tier. Ardent Censer is built in only a pittance of games despite it being hilariously good with how her shield interacts with it (each hit procs Ardent, meaning you can give multiple people 6-10 seconds of Ardent easily, and it can be maintained indefinitely at 40% CDR), and Grail similarly only shows up in a small handful despite it synergizing with her other items well and being a perfect fit on a long-range harass support.

I don't want to make it sound like she's secretly OP or anything, but I think she's better than most people give her credit for, and her bad reputation is almost entirely due to the heightened level of game knowledge you need to play her effectively compared to a lot of other enchanter/AP supports.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Her bad rep is because lux is a go to oh I got auto filled well I'll show these shitters how to carry from support time to take all the cs and gently caress up the wave champ, like nidalee used to be.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
holy crap remember nidalee support??? how nostalgic

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I maintain that Caitlyn+Nidalee is the most obnoxious lane.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Her bad rep is because lux is a go to oh I got auto filled well I'll show these shitters how to carry from support time to take all the cs and gently caress up the wave champ, like nidalee used to be.

Yeah and it's dumb as gently caress because people are playing it when karma does the same poo poo but better, or even zyra and brand are accepted carry supports

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Lux:

scales poorly without levels and ap
poor initiator/peeler because she's a loving artillery burst mage
auto pushes the wave trading with e and is easily gankable
has a non-utility ult that is only good for sniping kills

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
though I once had a lux support carry my shitass botlane so I'm morally obligated to trust all of them now.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lee sin support is the real top tier

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Today I played with a Tryndamere who realised the Kayn he was fighting top lane was his friend IRL or something because he refused to target him at all, and would allchat whenever anyone came to gank him. Needless to say being a Support Nautilus against a Rhaast who no opposition and free farm was a miserable experience.

Then I played Sona and got shat on. Man I'm rusty as hell, I need to relearn not to pick fights I have no chance of winning.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

The Deleter posted:

Today I played with a Tryndamere who realised the Kayn he was fighting top lane was his friend IRL or something because he refused to target him at all, and would allchat whenever anyone came to gank him. Needless to say being a Support Nautilus against a Rhaast who no opposition and free farm was a miserable experience.

Then I played Sona and got shat on. Man I'm rusty as hell, I need to relearn not to pick fights I have no chance of winning.

win trading is bannable

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

pog boyfriend posted:

win trading is bannable

I reported him but maybe he learnt the true secret to having fun in League or something.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

The Deleter posted:

I reported him but maybe he learnt the true secret to having fun in League or something.

honestly that sort of stuff is not actually fun, i used to do stupid crap like that with my boys back in season 2 and it was a novelty at best. with that said -- if you get 5 people and you do the thing where you surrender just before you kill the nexus, that poo poo is still loving hilarious. that will never get old.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the best premade trolling gimmick is queuing with 4 guys and everyone builds whatever the pubbie builds

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

the best premade trolling gimmick is queuing with 4 guys and everyone builds whatever the pubbie builds

oh man i love that one, that is top tier along with all tanks, double jungle 5TP, and, *turns to face the camera so you are looking me eye to eye* the new tyler the creator album, which is easily tylers best work and probably my favourite album this year

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
I play ARAMs once every 6 months, usually because my brother makes me.

As a casual fan I'm still wondering why you'd make your main character (Ryze) not only totally useless but also quote Breaking Benjamin and Hot Topic t-shirts the whole time. What the gently caress happened there?

Look at his basic attack animation. Just look at it.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

pog boyfriend posted:

oh man i love that one, that is top tier along with all tanks, double jungle 5TP, and, *turns to face the camera so you are looking me eye to eye* the new tyler the creator album, which is easily tylers best work and probably my favourite album this year

Lana Del Ray's new album, Lust For Life, is a return to form for her and far better than Tyler's same old same old shock jock shtick.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Lana Del Ray's new album, Lust For Life, is a return to form for her and far better than Tyler's same old same old shock jock shtick.

lana del rays new album is pretty good in fact, but this new album is nowhere near the same old at all, and is more of a jazz inspired soul/rnb album than an edgy aggressive alternative hip hop. catch tyler with some pretty inspired piano solos in some of the earlier parts of the album and a big instrumental finish to thematically and tonally provide closure in a very lovely manner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Very well. I'll check out Tyler, The Creator's new album "Ghost gently caress" on spotify this weekend and see if I like it.

• Locked thread