Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Patty Jenkins should just embrace PG-13 or the R rating. Wonder Woman is a fantastic power fantasy and some of the best power fantasies made embrace the violence, fascism and the consequence-free use of them. Any action fan living today will tell you they grew up on the 80's violent shlock. We all grew up watching that entertaining trash way too young.

I honestly think Justice League will be more power fantasy, truth be told and by design from Zack Snyder. Even before principle photography, they all talked about the tone of it. More than anything, I'm hoping they keep the character development from the previous two films because Man of Steel flowed into Batman v Superman perfectly. It featured a more complete Superman and a lot of the growth Clark went through in MoS carried over and was developed further. It'd fit in a good trilogy and I believe that was the whole idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Jimbot posted:

Patty Jenkins should just embrace PG-13 or the R rating. Wonder Woman is a fantastic power fantasy and some of the best power fantasies made embrace the violence, fascism and the consequence-free use of them. Any action fan living today will tell you they grew up on the 80's violent shlock. We all grew up watching that entertaining trash way too young.

I honestly think Justice League will be more power fantasy, truth be told and by design from Zack Snyder. Even before principle photography, they all talked about the tone of it. More than anything, I'm hoping they keep the character development from the previous two films because Man of Steel flowed into Batman v Superman perfectly. It featured a more complete Superman and a lot of the growth Clark went through in MoS carried over and was developed further. It'd fit in a good trilogy and I believe that was the whole idea.

The problem is, Patty Jenkins said in an interview that she wanted Wonder Woman to be a film little girls could go see to inspire them.

It's a fair point, in my opinion.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think Jenkins should continue to make Wonder Woman a soft PG-13 because she's an important role model and you want kids to be able to see the movie with their parents, especially young girls.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Sir Kodiak posted:

The character is in a place where an interesting story could be told about him changing after his encounter with Superman, but you're right that if they don't want to tell that story he's pretty boxed in. If that's not what Matt Reeves wants to do, I could see a soft relaunch with a new Batman. But I hope they don't since I want to see the story they set up in Batman's last appearance.

All right then. Never mind.

Is it too early to speculate on recasting him? I can't think of anyone off the top of my head...I honestly can't. And honestly don't wanna. I want my Batfleck movie, dammit. Waaahhhh. I've been playing Arkham Knight with his costume and think he deserves a fair shot, especially after all the poo poo he took when he was first announced and his work in BvS. His Batman made up for Daredevil and then some.

Seriously though, who could they cast? Drawing a blank here.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BiggerBoat posted:

Seriously though, who could they cast? Drawing a blank here.

Michael Ironside as Bruce Wayne. Take your pick for Terry.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

It's gonna be Ansel Elgort.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If I cant have Ben Affleck as the best batman and you must marvel this poo poo up give me a fun Dickie Bats.

Serf
May 5, 2011

No joke, doing a straight-up 60s Batman movie would actually get me to watch it. That show ruled.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
DC continuing to throw poo poo at the wall and see what sticks.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Burkion posted:

God that Spider-Man suit pisses me off

The practical suit they have there looks so goddamn good, with the solid black and raised up webbing across the vibrant red and blue and no goddamn panel lines on the blue suit- it looks nice and textured and great.

Like yeah a few things need to be touched up in post but over all it's pretty fantastic and might be my second favorite movie Spider-man suit

And then you see the movie and they smothered it with so much CGI that it just looks awful. The webbing is near nonexistent, the colors are way off, the lame as gently caress black panel lines are thrown in on the blue suit making the whole thing look so much cheaper, and all the texture is just gone.

Seeing the practical suit really makes me realize how much I do not like the version we see in Civil War and I presume Homecoming.

That prototype someone posted a few pages back was incredibly kick rear end. ASM2 remains the absolute benchmark for perfection in Spiderman costumes. My biggest problem with the Holland suit(s) is that you can't make out the webs on it. Just darken up the black lines on it and it's fine. They don't have to be raised or 3d or anything. Just accentuate them.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Serf posted:

No joke, doing a straight-up 60s Batman movie would actually get me to watch it. That show ruled.

So does the movie.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

In this case, what they are throwing at the wall appear to be a mixture of spider silk and super glue.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The MSJ posted:

In this case, what they are throwing at the wall appear to be a mixture of spider silk and super glue.

A Harley movie is a total no-brainer.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Barudak posted:

So does the movie.

Very true. Make another one like that.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I don't care for Harley but I will pay for anything that gives me more of Leto's Joker.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

And replace him with Nightwing. Lol. There's like 40 years of comic book history that can tell you how that would play out.

This post made me laugh but also made me think. With all the shared universe poo poo and the intertwined movies, dealing with these characters on screen has forced the writers to address the thing that the comics can ignore, which is the characters actually aging in real time.

I'd never really thought about it because comics always just go "yeah this guy/woman has always been 30, 35, 18, or 65", always just kind of write around it and who gives a poo poo. Probably for the best because, like, Reed Richards would be, what, 80 years old right now? Peter Parker would be 70. Batman would be loving long dead.

But when you have actors playing the same part for close to a decade like RDJ has, it does become a noticeable thing, if not entirely a "concern" just yet. They'll have to address it at some point. My guess is they'll just recast people as needed and keep printing money rather than trying to re-write Hawkeye or someone as Rocky Balboa, although that would be interesting writing them as aging (see: Logan or Batman in BvS). I suppose you could keep Downey around as long as he's needed and make the aging a part of his increasing reliance on the suit. Hulk too would be interesting to deal with into his 50's or something.

Hm....maybe I'm wrong and they'll just supplant the old guard with younger heroes and go full McFarlane and Liefeld. Has there ever even been an "Old Man Hulk" comic? Because I'd actually like to read that.

McSpanky posted:

This will all be especially ironic if Wonder Woman does end up being the turning point, a movie wherein the heroine routinely kills her enemies without remorse while believing them to be supernaturally compelled to action, and goes on a huge rage-out slaughterfest at the end.

The really ironic thing will be when Aquaman and WW wind up being DC's tent pole films. Which I think is actually what's going to wind up happening. Remember, Marvel didn't take off until b-lister hero Iron Man kicked so much rear end.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jul 22, 2017

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Cythereal posted:

The problem is, Patty Jenkins said in an interview that she wanted Wonder Woman to be a film little girls could go see to inspire them.

It's a fair point, in my opinion.

Oh yeah, for sure, but I was kind of joking since the morals in Wonder Woman were pretty dreadful but that's perfectly OK because the morals in all the power fantasies I grew up watcher were terrible as well. There's positive messages in there for little girls for sure (I think the second act is pretty solid in that regard overall), but the setting and vocabulary and how single-minded the character did things was kind of rotten in the film.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

Has there ever even been an "Old Man Hulk" comic? Because I'd actually like to read that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hulk:_The_End

Short, self contained story. I like it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Hulk: Future Imperfect is Old Man Hulk basically.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Hollismason posted:

Hulk: Future Imperfect is Old Man Hulk basically.

Forgot that one. It's good but a little too time travelly. The End is about the conflict between Banner and Hulk and doesn't even have any other characters.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BiggerBoat posted:

The really ironic thing will be when Aquaman and WW wind up being DC's tent pole films. Which I think is actually what's going to wind up happening. Remember, Marvel didn't take off until b-lister hero Iron Man kicked so much rear end.

I think it helps that these companies are so much more willing to be experimental with their B and C listers, and they aren't hamstrung by baggage and public perceptions and expectations that can make people hostile to anything that isn't by-the-numbers, and yet also bored when they get what they ask for. Casting incredibly charismatic actors helps, but it also means they can make their own definition of a character's personality, not trying to ape decades of previous material. (Doesn't help that a lot of comic book characters, DC especially, all started out as pretty much the same personality in different tights)

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Inescapable Duck posted:

I think it helps that these companies are so much more willing to be experimental with their B and C listers, and they aren't hamstrung by baggage and public perceptions and expectations that can make people hostile to anything that isn't by-the-numbers, and yet also bored when they get what they ask for. Casting incredibly charismatic actors helps, but it also means they can make their own definition of a character's personality, not trying to ape decades of previous material. (Doesn't help that a lot of comic book characters, DC especially, all started out as pretty much the same personality in different tights)

That's kind of ironic because if anything, the opposite happened here. WB went all experimental with their biggest heroes while playing it completely safe for their b-listers.

EDIT:

https://twitter.com/ZackSnyder/status/888564559895699457

:unsmith:

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 22, 2017

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I was just about to ask if he was going to show up or not. I was kind of hoping he would but it's understandable that he won't be attending.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Johns confirms The Rock won't be on Shazam!

Geoff Johns posted:

“We haven’t announced any casting yet,” Johns said. “But Dwayne isn’t going to be in this movie. He’s still doing Black Adam, but he won’t be in Shazam!”

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/dwayne-johnson-wont-dcs-shazam-movie-151617830.html

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Inescapable Duck posted:

These are good points. Explains why Ant Man was so good and also why Black Panther looks more daring of the Marvel template given what I've seen. Who's another DC or Marvel hero they could just go insane with? Green Lantern comes to mind immediately but they already hosed that up. Shazam could be fun but it already sounds like DC is loving that up as well. Also, your logic didn't extend to Iron Fist so nothing's a given. On the Marvel side, all I can think of is a Netflix Moon Knight.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jul 22, 2017

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

BiggerBoat posted:

Hm...Ultimate timeline you say? I assume Hulk is straight in it? This is important, especially if he has to yell it.

And while I'm loving thinking about it, where is my Hulk: Ultimate Destruction video game follow up? Because I loved that mother loving game. I used to use it to unwind if my workday sucked or wanted something I could play for a half hour that didn't involve racing cars. Has there been a Hulk game since Incredible on 360? Heard that one was not as good.

Prptptypes 1 and 2 are spiritual successors

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

Hm...Ultimate timeline you say? I assume Hulk is straight in it? This is important, especially if he has to yell it.

And while I'm loving thinking about it, where is my Hulk: Ultimate Destruction video game follow up? Because I loved that mother loving game. I used to use it to unwind if my workday sucked or wanted something I could play for a half hour that didn't involve racing cars. Has there been a Hulk game since Incredible on 360? Heard that one was not as good.

It's not from ultimate. It's a possible future of the regular marvel universe. I'm sure it has some lame numerical designation or whatever.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Prptptypes 1 and 2 are spiritual successors

Thanks. I'll check it out. Need a new game now that I finished Arkham Knight.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm fine with Black Adam not being the villain of Captain Marvel's stuff

Dude deserves to have some of his other freaky villains hang around

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Burkion posted:

I'm fine with Black Adam not being the villain of Captain Marvel's stuff

Dude deserves to have some of his other freaky villains hang around

Maybe because I'm fresh off Kong, but I nominate John C Reilly as Dr. Sivana using the hobbit short dude CGI.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

BiggerBoat posted:

Thanks. I'll check it out. Need a new game now that I finished Arkham Knight.

Prototype 1 is a blast, but I remember hearing mixed reviews about the sequel, for what it's worth.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Schwarzwald posted:

Prototype 1 is a blast, but I remember hearing mixed reviews about the sequel, for what it's worth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuS6ZJrfZXQ

those "mixed" reviews can eat my rear end, Prototype 2 owns

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
also, the greatest mission objective in gaming history

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Stealing that for C-SPAM.

And I should clarify that experimenting isn't necessarily going to pay off. It just opens up a lot more options that don't rely on known qualities, which Hollywood is typically terrified of.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Could James Dehaan play Nightwing? He seems about the right age, could get athletic and probably acrobatic pretty fast, his voice sounds a bit like how Nightwing sounds in my head when I read the books. Thoughts?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Could James Dehaan play Nightwing? He seems about the right age, could get athletic and probably acrobatic pretty fast, his voice sounds a bit like how Nightwing sounds in my head when I read the books. Thoughts?

Dane DeHaan you mean? His face doesn't look right to me imo. I'd pick Taron Egerton for Nightwing. Or if casting older, Jake Gyllenhaal.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

:thunk:

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

BiggerBoat posted:

This. Prior to 2008, Iron Man was charitably a B-list hero. Now he's the biggest Marvel character. Alongside the Guardians of the Galaxy. I mean, what?

That's the only reason I could see Nightwing doing well. Who'd have called Wonder Woman as the most well-liked DC film to date? No one, but it's great. So yeah, bring on Aquaman. Green Lantern. Batgirl. Go nuts.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Xealot posted:

This. Prior to 2008, Iron Man was charitably a B-list hero. Now he's the biggest Marvel character. Alongside the Guardians of the Galaxy. I mean, what?

That's the only reason I could see Nightwing doing well. Who'd have called Wonder Woman as the most well-liked DC film to date? No one, but it's great. So yeah, bring on Aquaman. Green Lantern. Batgirl. Go nuts.

Oh, how soon we forget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Xealot posted:

Sorry but Aquaman is and always will be a joke. I don't forsee DC realizing this anytime soon though. If they did, they might be able to make a decent movie with him.

• Locked thread