Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Dreddout posted:

My main question is how did Burma resist the tyranny of the British road system.

I thought Egypt was still Ottoman territory?

Maps of the british empire tend to go for the maximalist view most of the time (the old map on wikipedia even included the post ww2 british zone in germany). That said Egypt was weird and was variously considered independent, a british protectorate and a turkish province all at once.

Also usually maps of the period at least grudgingly count Northern Yemen and the Hejaz as the Ottoman Empire even when they don't acknowledge sovereignty over the Najd.

Agnosticnixie fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

fishmech posted:

This is a map on how left and right hand drive has changed since about the 1850s:

This map is deceiving in the caseof Brazil: Originally there was no countrywide regulation about which side of the road you had to drive on. This meant that each state could choose on it's own, and multiple states had LHT while others had RHT. This only changed in 1928 when a presidential decree finally centralized traffic laws.

So while it's technically correct to say we always had RHT, it was really only in some parts of the country.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 22, 2017

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Furthermore, Venice should be destroyed.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Guavanaut posted:

Not sure about Thailand. Nor why Burma/Myanmar went the other way.

Blut posted:

Why isn't Burma part of the glorious right hand drive ex-Empire?
I can't believe someone hasn't posted the insanity of driving in Burma, or specifically why it changed over:
http://www.minordiversion.com/2012/03/the-unique-world-of-burmese-driving/

quote:

Some of the world’s drivers are used to sitting on the left side of the car and driving on the right side of the road. The UK and most former British colonies are used to sitting on the right side and driving on the left side of the road. Switching from one to the other takes some adjustment but, as Sandeep can attest from his Indian driving experience, it’s not that hard.

But how about having right hand steering and driving on the right hand side of the road? Myanmar has the distinction of having this split personality.

Myanmar was a British colony until 1948. The cars had right hand steering and drove on the left side of the road. In 1970 all traffic was moved to the right. I asked several people for the cause of the change and there are two commonly held theories, both of which point to the eccentricities of General Ne Win. One theory is that Ne Win’s wife’s astrologer said that the country would be better off driving on the right side of the road. The second is that the General had a dream that the country should switch directions. Either way, the General called the shots and traffic was directed to move sides overnight.

Despite the lane shifts, virtually every vehicle in Myanmar has right hand steering. Many vehicles are very old, and those that are considered modern are second hand imports from Japan. It isn’t just the cars that have to catch up. One can still see old traffic signs in downtown Yangon facing the wrong direction.

Myanmar is trying to slowly phase out right-hand drive cars, but ~90% of the cars on the road are still right-hand drive:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/south-asia/Myanmar-mulls-left-hand-drive-car-law/articleshow/49031848.cms
http://www.mmtimes.com/index.php/business/17161-right-hand-drives-to-remain-on-the-roads.html

As are a lot of the buses, which leads to people having to get on a bus in the middle of the street.

Ne Win was completely nuts, by the way.

quote:

[Ne Win] also took drastic steps regarding the currency: In 1963, he issued a decree that 50 and 100 kyat notes would cease to be legal tender, alleging that they were subject to hoarding by black-marketeers and were also used to finance the various insurgencies. Though limited compensation was offered, this wiped out people's savings overnight. At least one insurgency, that of the ethnic Kayan, was triggered by this act.

In 1987—reportedly on the recommendation of an astrologer that the number nine was auspicious-Ne Win ordered the withdrawal of several large-denomination kyat notes while issuing new denominations of 45 and 90 kyats. Both 45 and 90 are divisible by nine, and their numerals add up to nine. The many Burmese whose saved money in the old large denominations lost their life savings. This crippled the Burmese economy further still. Ne Win was well known for his penchant for numerology and yadaya (cabalistic rituals and spells performed in order to ward off misfortune). When his soothsayer warned him that there might be a bloodbath, he would stand in front of a mirror and trample on meat to simulate the blood then shoot himself in the mirror to avert the possibility of an assassination attempt.

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 22, 2017

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Post-Soviet space had a lot of imported cars with the wrong-side steering as well.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
On the note of cars doing potentially dangerous things, global maximum speed limits as of about 2015 or so:

As labeled, countries and subnational entities (when allowed to set speed limits independently, and data available) are colored by rounded off km/hr and mph bands

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

steinrokkan posted:

Even if you convince all countries to adopt God's own right side traffic, it won't change the non-Euclidean tesseract-based driving conventions of Andromeda.

This is why we need space colonialism fyi

I will not rest until 5 dimention reptilians drive on the right side of the multiverse

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Byzantine posted:

Furthermore, Venice should be destroyed.
Rising sea levels have got you covered fam

fishmech posted:

On the note of cars doing potentially dangerous things, global maximum speed limits as of about 2015 or so:

As labeled, countries and subnational entities (when allowed to set speed limits independently, and data available) are colored by rounded off km/hr and mph bands

Burma proves once again to be the sequence breaker

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

fishmech posted:

I‘m Western Sahara.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
i'm "no marked highways or roads that lead out of the territory" nunavut

Putrid Dog
Feb 13, 2012

"God, I wish I was dead!"

fishmech posted:

I was in Tibet last year and any buses carrying tourists can only go 40km/h. Locals can go double this. There's even a policeman stationed in the bus to ensure speeding doesn't occur.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Platystemon posted:

I‘m Western Sahara.

Yeah, the Moroccan authorities have speed limits set up on the major roads, so data for once!

Tree Goat posted:

True but not really what's up here for why their speed limits are low. It's because their road system is almost all Gravel, Ice, or plain Dirt. And paved roads are usually in the middle of the towns and thus slow marked.
they do have one road that leaves the territory : theres a winter only road passable in the average year that goes to the northwest territories and thence to the rest of the North American network of roads. Catch is, it's hard to get to it from the rest of Nunavut because itself lacks a reliable road connection.

Incidentally all the winter ice roads? Speed limit 60 kmhr for clear conditions no load on the trucks. Loaded trucks are usually 30 or slower

Tree Goat posted:

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

fishmech posted:

True but not really what's up here for why their speed limits are low. It's because their road system is almost all Gravel, Ice, or plain Dirt. And paved roads are usually in the middle of the towns and thus slow marked.
they do have one road that leaves the territory : theres a winter only road passable in the average year that goes to the northwest territories and thence to the rest of the North American network of roads. Catch is, it's hard to get to it from the rest of Nunavut because itself lacks a reliable road connection.

The mines that the winter road supplied have closed, so I don't think the winter road has been built for a few years and probably won't be built again unless more mines open. There was also a handwavey plan to build a $1.2 billion road from northern Manitoba to Rankin Inlet (pop 2500) in southern Nunavut but it was scrapped for obvious reasons.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

fishmech posted:

90 km/h for Latvia. We used 2 have like 2 highway stretches that allowed 110 km/h, but I think that was shut down. Some roads have summer speed limit restriction lifted (to 100 km/h), but it's for a few months only

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jul 22, 2017

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

fishmech posted:

South Africa has maximum speed limits of 120kph, not 100kph.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

fishmech posted:

I like that Poland, synonymous with bad roads, has the highest speed limit.

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

steinrokkan posted:

New roads in Poland are built to very high standards, and de jure requirements to what roads can be classified as "motorway", the necessary class for having a speed limit of 140km/h, are very strict.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

catfry posted:

New roads in Poland are built to very high standards, and de jure requirements to what roads can be classified as "motorway", the necessary class for having a speed limit of 140km/h, are very strict.

Alternatively it's the Texas of Europe, just without all the rich bits.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Private Speech posted:

Bavaria is the Texas of Europe though.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
From 1684 to 1821 Texas was the Texas of Europe.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Orange Devil posted:

Bavaria is the Texas of Europe though.

Well fine it's the Arkansas then, a place wishing it was Texas.

They don't have 140 limits there though so it doesn't work as well.

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Private Speech posted:

Poles are absolutely among the worst, most fanatical car worshippers in Europe, if that's what you mean. The explosion in private ownership and driven km/year/capita has put enormous pressure on the roads. In the same period, european structural funds has enabled polish governments to expand the road network greatly in scope and quality. These trends reinforce each other, in that the increasing car ownership and road quality makes the car the more preferred mode of transportation, increasing the usage and thus congestion, calling for even more road investment. Meanwhile collective transport struggle with lack of investment. even though EU-funds do not discriminate between road and rail, Polish governments constantly choose roads.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Well, Polish rail does have a checkered past.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
That Burma stuff is nuts. If 90%+ of their cars are still right hand drive they should really just change back.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
There's only one official* 85 mph road in Texas I'm aware of and it's the one around Austin built to allow truckers doing the Mexico-Canada jaunt to bypass the city center and thereby supposedly reduce traffic.

I don't think many people use it though and I've only driven on it once when I detoured back from Dallas.

*The highways between the major Texas cities are posted 65-75, but are practically 80-90+.

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity

Saladin Rising posted:

Ne Win was completely nuts, by the way.

quote:

[Ne Win] also took drastic steps regarding the currency: In 1963, he issued a decree that 50 and 100 kyat notes would cease to be legal tender, alleging that they were subject to hoarding by black-marketeers and were also used to finance the various insurgencies. Though limited compensation was offered, this wiped out people's savings overnight. At least one insurgency, that of the ethnic Kayan, was triggered by this act.
India did this last november, BTW. PM went on TV at 8pm and said all your cash will be useless from midnight. glhf.

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SObnO6jnAD8

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Didn't know where else to post this:

Who can't forget about the bloody Celto-Uralic vs Indo-European wars

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

System Metternich posted:

TIL Koreans are Indo-Europeans.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

The forgotten hyperwar.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

This isn't the first time I've heard weird people claim that Celtic languages are somehow not related to the other languages of Europe and every single time it's been from an American who fetishizes their "Irish ancestry" that they, without exception, know absolutely nothing about. Of course, that's a minority of the plastic paddies I know, the largest part of them are unaware that the Irish language even exists, much less that other Celtic languages exist.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Charles Get-Out posted:

There's only one official* 85 mph road in Texas I'm aware of and it's the one around Austin built to allow truckers doing the Mexico-Canada jaunt to bypass the city center and thereby supposedly reduce traffic.

I don't think many people use it though and I've only driven on it once when I detoured back from Dallas.

*The highways between the major Texas cities are posted 65-75, but are practically 80-90+.

The map isn't clear on whether it's the highest actual or statutory limit being labeled.

http://onlinemanuals.txdot.gov/txdotmanuals/szn/szn.pdf

quote:

Higher Maximum Speed Limit
The Commission may establish a speed limit of:
 75 miles per hour on any portion of the state highway system.
 80 miles per hour on parts of Interstate Highway 10 and Interstate Highway 20 in Crockett,
Culberson, Hudspeth, Jeff Davis, Kerr, Kimble, Pecos, Reeves, Sutton, and Ward counties, or
 Up to 85 miles per hour on a highway designed to accommodate travel at the speed being
established.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Ensign Expendable posted:

The forgotten hyperwar.

Indos took my language

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

TIL Koreans are Indo-Europeans.

I mean they did control the territory of the Roman empire according to that one map

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

This is silly but kind of an honest mistake given how far back the Celtic languages branched off from the rest of the romance languages.

Also apparently there's a ton of Welsh speakers in Patagonia? Weird.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Charles Get-Out posted:

If we're going by actual speeds, then these maps are almost meaningless. Mexican drivers seem to go about the same speed as speeding Americans even though the posted limits are often absurdly low. I can't tell you how many times I was going ~100 kmh in a 60 or 80 kmh zone and was still the slowest car on the road.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

steinrokkan posted:

That's Germany.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Duckbag posted:

If we're going by actual speeds, then these maps are almost meaningless. Mexican drivers seem to go about the same speed as speeding Americans even though the posted limits are often absurdly low. I can't tell you how many times I was going ~100 kmh in a 60 or 80 kmh zone and was still the slowest car on the road.

Well, yeah, it's way harder to try to figure something like "highest normal speed on the highest grade roads this country has" or something.

But if you were going to try to make a map of such a thing, most countries would probably end up around 75-85 MPH provided they have some good 3 lanes a side limited access roads and don't spatter speed cameras and the like all over the place. It's kind of a sweet spot for what modern vehicles will do without feeling too unsafe for a normal driver, and without requiring you to have the accelerator slammed to the floor.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Moist von Lipwig posted:

the Celtic languages branched off from the rest of the romance languages.

Ummm...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Peanut President posted:

That's Germany.

“Undefined” isn’t a limit.