Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Waltzing Along posted:

I wish RLM would review some animated stuff rather than constant bad superhero movies. I don't think they have ever done a Pixar film. True, Pixar has gone off the rails but whatever. They could have done Kubo. That was great.
Eh I think that's because non of them watch animated movies other than probably Jack

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Pixar have gone to poo poo and it's tragic.

Toy Story 4?!!! gently caress off
At least Incredibles 2 is finally happening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I've only seen Dane DeHaan in Chronicle, and he worked in that movie because he has a punchable sad mopey face all of the time. Like of course that little wiener would become a supervillain if he had super powers.

Oh, and apparently he was in The Place Beyond the Pines, so I guess he was okay in that because he didn't stand out enough to be "bad" in my mind.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dane Dehaan plays literally every character like he has autism

Have you seen the poo poo show that is Chronicle written by Max Landis? Dane plays an extremely stupid idiot that couldn't figure out how to make money from his super powers with a group of pretty good and caring friends so he can help his suffering mother. The idiot couldn't even rob a petrol station without blowing it up or kill some teenagers without getting made.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Chronicle is the amazing story of "what if Superman were an angsty reddit teen?"

Not to be confused with Man of Steel which was the amazing story of "what if Superman was spoonfed Ayn Rand novels by a cold and uncaring, borderline autistic libertarian father figure?"

Not to be confused with Batman v Superman which was the amazing story of "what if Superman was a dick who is bad at everything and can't use any of his powers if common sense dictates the moment he should be using them?"

Not to be confused with Superman Returns which was the amazing story of "what if the Richard Donner Superman had no charisma?"

Not to be confused with the Christopher Reeve Superman which was the amazing story of "what if Superman was cool and good?"

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

WampaLord posted:

loving lmao.

Like, they did a video on Eraserhead. loving Eraserhead!

And the amazing thing is that their fanbase is big enough that they can get away with it, no other YouTuber could touch this stuff and still pull in a ton of views.

What's the search ranking of "Eraserhead review" loving lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8tXpVYxB4M

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Here's the design for the army of faceless mooks the Justice League will fight

Why are all these movies so loving ugly?

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I loved Chronicle. I don't care what else Max Landis does he gave me one very good movie and I'm thankful for it.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

WampaLord posted:

Remember that ad they made before Wall-E where they said that in their initial pitch meeting they had like 4 or 5 awesome story ideas, and that Wall-E was the last of their "main" ones, and at the time it seemed really cool cause it was like "Oh awesome, a story that Pixar has really wanted to do for a while and now they're doing it!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuAGE5_fglA

The flip side of that was them basically admitting that they had no original ideas planned for past that point.

Idk I think you could do a civil war type movie where the entire toy ecosystem is thrown for a loop when.... a tablet is introduced to the kid. Some toys align with tablet and get remade in app form(angry pigs, etch a sketch) and the rest have to team up but.... Woody gets woo'd at the prospect of being modernized(never really got over that buzz jealousy) and he's like the evil superman guy he exists as a toy AND app.

And that's ur bbogbs toy story fan fic for the day

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

bring back old gbs posted:

Idk I think you could do a civil war type movie where the entire toy ecosystem is thrown for a loop when.... a tablet is introduced to the kid. Some toys align with tablet and get remade in app form(angry pigs, etch a sketch) and the rest have to team up but.... Woody gets woo'd at the prospect of being modernized(never really got over that buzz jealousy) and he's like the evil superman guy he exists as a toy AND app.

And that's ur bbogbs toy story fan fic for the day

That sounds terrible but it'll probably be better than whatever toy story 4 is

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Toy shall not kill toy

~devolves into toy murdering mayhem~

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
OOHHHHH poo poo once Woody is the god-being toy/app hybrid...... He has the power to break the 5th wall and communicate with the kid. The toy can speak to a people.

Dayujmmmmmm this shits comin together

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
What does cined think about the toy story movies?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Guy Goodbody posted:

Here's the design for the army of faceless mooks the Justice League will fight

Why are all these movies so loving ugly?

i legit did the rich evans oh my gooood in my head when i saw that.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Yug posted:

What does cined think about the toy story movies?

childrens movies for simpletons. not like my mature adult movies where the cars transform into 50 million knife blades

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

childrens movies for simpletons. not like my mature adult movies where the cars transform into 50 million knife blades

I would think they would have a million word essay on it being a criticism of capitalism or some other kind of gobbledygook.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

SeANMcBAY posted:

They should definitely do foreign movies. I could think of a bunch of hosed up Korean movies alone that I think Mike and Jay would love.

They should review Train to Busan, it's a real boring piece of poo poo

naem
May 29, 2011

OOHHHHH poo poo once Woody is the god-being toy/app hybrid...... He has the power to break the 5th wall and communicate with the kid. The toy can speak to a people.

Dayujmmmmmm this shits comin together

I'm looking forward to GRIMDARK toy story staring several creepy blank faced supermodel heroin addict sex babies

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Toy Story 4?!!! gently caress off

3 had such a nice ending too. I just saw Moana on Netflix and enjoyed that anyway. They've got fumes still at least, but yeah, the Littlest Dinosaur or whatever was so bad.

I really wish Half in the Bag would do a broader range of movies like they used to. A couple movies every episode, maybe some 'catch-ups' every 6 months or so. I don't know how much they're hurting for viewers, but it'd be cool to see more than big superhero/robot/monster movies.

Captain Lavender fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 22, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

naem posted:

I'm looking forward to GRIMDARK toy story staring several creepy blank faced supermodel heroin addict sex babies

Maybe the toys go to Japan where they get stuck in some creepy otaku's apartment and then Jessie gets stuck on the display cabinet with the creeper's jizz figurines.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

naem posted:

just adapt "corky goes to hell" from illbleed

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not sure who's weirder, the person who appreciates good animated movies or the person who vehemently hates all animated movies because they're for children.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

a bone to pick posted:

I'm not sure who's weirder, the person who appreciates good animated movies or the person who vehemently hates all animated movies because they're for children.

Both are sexual deviants

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

ENDLESS TRASH

https://twitter.com/readyplayerone/status/888835852410814464

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I AM NOT READY! I DO NOT CONSENT!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_6yBZKj-eo

It looks pretty loving bad, y'all.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

the only thing that I'm looking forward to right now is the new del Toro flick :woop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFYWazblaUA

Zmej fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 22, 2017

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

It's gone; what did it say?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I can't tell from the Ready Player One trailer what the gently caress that movie is about other than VR and 80s references.

The Justice League one has the same problem, but that might be because there's no plot and all they have are the action scenes.

What is the deal trailers either tell you nothing these days or they give away the entire movie. What is the conflict of Ready Player One who is the bad guy in Justice League and what are the stakes?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

I can't tell from the Ready Player One trailer what the gently caress that movie is about other than VR and 80s references.

No, that's pretty much the whole plot.

PostNouveau posted:

What is the conflict of Ready Player One?

Kid wants to find an awesome treasure within this VR game world and to do it he has to obsess over 80s pop culture.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Ready Player One was a really mediocre book and I don't get the obsession with it but w/e.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

WampaLord posted:

Kid wants to find an awesome treasure within this VR game world and to do it he has to obsess over 80s pop culture.

I have heard good things about the book, but it seems impossible that it could be good based on this.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

mng posted:

It's gone; what did it say?

just a trailer for Ready Player One

WampaLord posted:

drat that's bad and sad

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

yess YESSS ENDLESS TRAAASSSHHHH

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

I have heard good things about the book, but it seems impossible that it could be good based on this.

People who love it are the same "I CLAPPED WHEN I SAW THE AT-STs!" idiots, they just love references to things they recognize and that's literally all the book is.

a bone to pick posted:

yess YESSS ENDLESS TRAAASSSHHHH

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

a bone to pick posted:

By that metric, you're a weird unless only you like bad animated movies.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

wow so intense

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Captain Lavender posted:

3 had such a nice ending too. I just saw Moana on Netflix and enjoyed that anyway. They've got fumes still at least, but yeah, the Littlest Dinosaur or whatever was so bad.

Moana wasn't Pixar.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

HIJK posted:

Ready Player One was a really mediocre book and I don't get the obsession with it but w/e.

It'd bad and all his books are bad and they appeal to the absolute worst in lovely nerd culture.

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/books/2015/07/armada_by_ernest_cline_follow_up_to_ready_player_one_reviewed.single.html

quote:

Armada is a story about how gamers are the most important people in the world. This is not a new story; it's served as the inspiration for countless video games over the past 40 years, not to mention the recent harassment campaigns that spawned out of gaming culture and the wounded, entitled pride at their heart. While the aims of the novel are onanistic rather than malicious, Armada nonetheless demands to be bronzed as the perfect embodiment of the impulses that so often make games—and gaming culture—boring, self-indulgent, and regressive.

Armada is the highly anticipated second novel from Ernest Cline, who hit the best-seller list in 2011 with his debut, Ready Player One. Set in 2044, that first sci-fi adventure took place in a dystopian future in which people escape their lives by jacking into a virtual reality universe. This VR world was created by a programmer who was obsessed with ’80s geek culture and built an elaborate Treasure Hunt into the game based on his very specific predilections. The resulting journey was a confectionary pastiche where the player who essentially “got” the most ’80s references was promised vast, godlike abilities, and the worship of nostalgia was framed as the path to happiness, salvation, and power.

quote:

This is a book that ends with someone unironically quoting Yoda.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

A Handed Missus posted:

wow so intense

I'mma back-seat direct here. If she were looking at the bullet as it passed, it would be way better. It would show she was in actual peril and cared about that peril.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

like you know how at the beginning of their rogue one review the red letter media guys do that now legendary bit about I SAW <REFERENCE> AND I CLAPPED

it's my understanding that ready player one is that, but one hundred percent sincere

• Locked thread