Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Technically they were gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Also, remember that she made Candy swear to guard the sword with her life.

The unspoken joke, in the film, is that the 'divine weapons' locked away in the tower don't really do anything. The act of locking them in the tower is what gives them their mystical allure.

Well, the Lasso works.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The lasso wasn't locked away never to be used though, they brought it out to use on Steve. It's a magical tool that can be demonstrated to work reliably, and has relatively mundane uses.

Does make me wonder where Wondy got her sword in BvS. Did she find another ancient magical sword? Is it a normal sword that she empowered with her magic? Did she commission or forge herself a brand new blade with modern techniques and materials for the hell of it? I think the last one might be the most fun, but I'm crazy. They'll probably explain it in the sequel.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Inescapable Duck posted:

The lasso wasn't locked away never to be used though, they brought it out to use on Steve. It's a magical tool that can be demonstrated to work reliably, and has relatively mundane uses.

Does make me wonder where Wondy got her sword in BvS. Did she find another ancient magical sword? Is it a normal sword that she empowered with her magic? Did she commission or forge herself a brand new blade with modern techniques and materials for the hell of it? I think the last one might be the most fun, but I'm crazy. They'll probably explain it in the sequel.

A warrior society probably has more than one sword.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Inescapable Duck posted:

In BvS she has both a new sword and shield. DC and Snyder and that they're the "Sword and Aegis of Athena". I'm assuming that Diana's position at The Louvre gives her access to all sorts of weapons from antiquity.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Diana being a curator of ancient relics in modern times is great :allears:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

teagone posted:

Diana being a curator of ancient relics in modern times is great :allears:

Mr. Apollo posted:

In BvS she has both a new sword and shield. DC and Snyder and that they're the "Sword and Aegis of Athena". I'm assuming that Diana's position at The Louvre gives her access to all sorts of weapons from antiquity.

Again it's loving great that our visual introduction to Diana is during a scene where Lex Luthor is mansplaining what to her is actual history.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Gal Gadot is so goddamn perfect as Diana :stwoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_6yBZKj-eo

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Again it's loving great that our visual introduction to Diana is during a scene where Lex Luthor is mansplaining what to her is actual history.
Her rolleyes after his explanation is perfect.

teagone posted:

Gal Gadot is so goddamn perfect :swoon:
FTFY

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
From her Instagram at ComicCom today:

https://instagram.com/p/BW3LQnWgTv4/

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The beginning of the trailer reminded me a bit of the bank robbery scene in The Dark Knight. Having Diana save a class from an all girls school was a nice touch and seeing her dodge incoming fire in real time (at about 2:47) was cool. Showing up to work everyday in haute couture is impressive.

Seeing the Amazons in action again yessssssssssss.

"I miss the days where the greatest threat was from wind up exploding penguins" a nice nod to Batman Returns.

"I've never done battle. I just push people and run away" & "Oh wow they just vanish. That's rude." lol The shot of Barry breaking the glass with his finger tip was super cool.

"I don't recognize this world anymore." "You don't have to recognize it. You just have to save it" = "It's not about deserve, it's about what you believe." a bit of a role reversal of Bruce and Alfred from BvS where Bruce didn't give a gently caress anymore and Alfred was trying to make him see that he did matter.

Anyone have any guesses as to who shows up at the end? Alfred didn't seem surprised.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 23, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mr. Apollo posted:

Anyone have any guesses as to who shows up at the end? Alfred didn't seem surprised.

Obvious answer would be Superman. Alfred putting emphasis on "hope" seems to suggest that.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

So much :3: :allears:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/888905617196236801

Love Ezra's energy too, haha.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

teagone posted:

Obvious answer would be Superman. Alfred putting emphasis on "hope" seems to suggest that.
Yeah that's what I figured. Based on the snippet of conversation it seems like Alfred was expecting him.

I've never read the comics but is Diana the leader of the JL? She gives them the instructions of "Not to engage alone" and it show her fighting Steppenwolf one on one.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
We've seen Superman in some of the 'on the set' previews that has those scenes in the trailers right? They're cutting REALLY close around to keep him out of this trailer?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

We've seen Superman in some of the 'on the set' previews that has those scenes in the trailers right? They're cutting REALLY close around to keep him out of this trailer?
We need a 4K trailer so we can zoom in and enhance the reflection in Alfred's glasses

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Or you can just see the red of his cape

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

*in an extremely Ken Burns narrator voice* "It was at this point in the robbery that David and the rest of the gang began to realize that they had really hosed up."

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 23, 2017

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Unoriginal Name posted:

Or you can just see the red of his cape
Hmm, I didn't see that. I figured he'd have the black suit on like Cavill teased on Instagram. But yeah the "hope" line combined with the JL standing at his memorial looking at something all seem to point to the obvious answer.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Haven't seen Wonder Woman yet. Should I watch it in 3D or normal 2D?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
2D is more than fine.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mr. Apollo posted:

*in an extremely Ken Burns narrator voice* "It was at this point in the robbery that David and the rest of the gang began to realize that they had really hosed up."

I don't really understand why Wonder Woman bothers to dodge or deflect anything.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

dont even fink about it posted:

I don't really understand why Wonder Woman bothers to dodge or deflect anything.
I don't think she's bullet proof, we saw in WW that she was grazed by a bullet but healed really fast. We also know she can take a punch as one of the Amazonians hit her in the jaw with a staff or something during training and while everyone else grimaces Diana just shakes it off.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah, there are a lot of civilians in that same room facing Diana, so deflecting a bullet probably wouldn't be a good idea since it could ricochet and hit a kid or something. And she's not immune to bullets.

[edit] You can even see the civilians in the gif lol

teagone fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jul 23, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's a middle ground between Superman bulletproof and regular person. Guessing bullets may not kill her but still hurt like the dickens.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

She just switches between "Wonder Fu" and "Wonder Goku" based on whichever thing would look cooler or be more considered more dramatically appropriate. So she has to dodge bullets, but she can also tank death rays from the Antichrist.

This is also noticeable with the other DC characters, when you get stuff like Batman having to wear Frank Miller Armor to fight Superman, but reacting to being shot point blank in the back of the head ten minutes later like someone snapped a wet towel at him.

I guess it's no sillier than Tony Stark becoming immune to physics when he has the Iron Man suit on, or the Hulk jobbing whenever he goes rogue, or Captain America curling a helicopter. Everyone focuses their chi as appropriate to the situation. Every DC movie tends to end with characters hadoukening each other on a moonscape though, no matter what was going on previously.

The point being, I am pretty sure you could empty a mag into Wonder Woman's face while she sat there and nothing would happen one way or another--unless the narrative called for it, like she had turned evil or a trusted character warned her that she was being a dumbass and would lose.

Or maybe she doesn't want to instantly disintegrate everyone in the room with god particles.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jul 23, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Congrats on making the great discovery that characters are exactly as powerful as the writer wants them to be at any given time.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Inescapable Duck posted:

Congrats on making the great discovery that characters are exactly as powerful as the writer wants them to be at any given time.

Well yeah, we call that bad writing.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Everything about her as a celebrity-person seems pretty cool and down to earth. Cute clip

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

BrianWilly posted:

2D is more than fine.

Just finished watching it today. Great movie. I only waited so long cause I didn't have time when it came out, and then my friends already watched it, and then I figured I'd just wait for the video release but I had a lot of time today.

So while the movie is still fresh on my mind, at the end when Diana was fighting Ares, she absorbs the lightning bolts into her bracers twice and right before she blasts Ares to death she says "goodbye brother." Was that suppose to mean anything literal? Like, was it implying that she was channeling Zeus right there and Zeus was somehow talking through her? It would make 100% sense since they said Zeus and Ares were brothers earlier in the movie. (I think the average person would know that Zeus and Ares were Greek gods, but not necessarily that they were brothers.)

So WW takes place during WW1. What does she do from then until now? I ask this as someone who isn't familiar with Wonder Woman's story at all other than I know she's part of the Justice League and has an invisible jet or something, from those old cartoons.

I didn't watch Batman vs. Superman cause I have an irrational thing against Superman. I think he's a really dumb character. Anyway I understand WW was in BvS. Does BvS happen before or after the "present day" parts of WW?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Wonder Woman's backstory is pretty inconsistent in the comics, and there's no exact precedent for the movie's situation, so what she does until BvS is totally up in the air.

Also, Ares isn't Zeus's brother, he's a son of Zeus and Hera. Wonder Woman, the last daughter of Zeus, is his sister. (well, half-sister, which may or may not matter with gods. Also, who knows what they did with it in the movie)

Diana, despite being named after the Roman version of Artemis, actually is basically a less provincial Athena; goddess of wisdom, truth and defensive war.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

This is also noticeable with the other DC characters, when you get stuff like Batman having to wear Frank Miller Armor to fight Superman, but reacting to being shot point blank in the back of the head ten minutes later like someone snapped a wet towel at him.

I guess it's no sillier than Tony Stark becoming immune to physics when he has the Iron Man suit on, or the Hulk jobbing whenever he goes rogue, or Captain America curling a helicopter. Everyone focuses their chi as appropriate to the situation. Every DC movie tends to end with characters hadoukening each other on a moonscape though, no matter what was going on previously.

At least we were shown, and told, that Alfred had changed/improved the armor in the cowl.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Boris Galerkin posted:

It would make 100% sense since they said Zeus and Ares were brothers earlier in the movie.

You misheard, Ares was Zeus's son.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Ha, that reminds me. In the new Justice League trailer Diana is show working on the restoration of an ancient statue:

It could be the statue of a goddess, in which case it's probably one of her relatives.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Gal Gadot seems like such a nice, genuine person who can't believe she is a Famous Person. It comes across in every interview.

I find now as an old person with kids, *I* get choked up watching my almost five-year-old be all into superheroes. It reminds me f myself at that age - I absolutely loved Wonder Woman and Star Wars in particular, and so seeing these characters have an impact on him gets me every time. Wonder Woman especially - he begged us for a Wonder Woman action figure to go along with all his other DC/Marvel characters.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Ha, that reminds me. In the new Justice League trailer Diana is show working on the restoration of an ancient statue:

It could be the statue of a goddess, in which case it's probably one of her relatives.

Continuing again the running joke of grinning and bearing while mortals make up some poo poo about things that happened in her family's living memory.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

You misheard, Ares was Zeus's son.

Yeah I think I did.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Inescapable Duck posted:

Wonder Woman's backstory is pretty inconsistent in the comics, and there's no exact precedent for the movie's situation, so what she does until BvS is totally up in the air.

Well, if they want to make a bright colorful movie with nostalgia music, they can make a WW set in the 70s.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FuturePastNow posted:

Well, if they want to make a bright colorful movie with nostalgia music, they can make a WW set in the 70s.

If you want to see WW wearing some craaazy getups then the 60s is the decade you want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Boris Galerkin posted:

So WW takes place during WW1. What does she do from then until now? I ask this as someone who isn't familiar with Wonder Woman's story at all other than I know she's part of the Justice League and has an invisible jet or something, from those old cartoons.

I didn't watch Batman vs. Superman cause I have an irrational thing against Superman. I think he's a really dumb character. Anyway I understand WW was in BvS. Does BvS happen before or after the "present day" parts of WW?
That's the big question and people are looking for some answers in JL. In BvS she is looking for the photograph that we see at the beginning and end of WW. Diana says that Lex has a photograph that belongs to her and she's trying to get it back. Bruce finds a digital copy on Lex's computers and emails it to her and says "I found your photograph but it doesn't belong to you... it IS you. Who are you? Where have you been?" as the picture is tagged "Belgium 1918".

When she receives this picture the battle between Batman, Superman, and Doomsday has just started. Diana joins just as Bruce is about to be vaporized, saves him, gives her line of "I've killed things from other worlds before" and helps win the battle.

At the end she tells Bruce that a century ago she walked away from mankind, from a century of horrors and that men have made a world where standing together is impossible.

Obviously Diana Prince didn't walk away from mankind as she's employed and going about living her life and not hiding from anyone. It was WW that walked away from mankind.

In BvS the impression were given is that Diana wants the photograph as its proof of her immortality and who she is. WW puts her search for the photograph in a new light. There's also the question of if she ever saw that photograph before that point as the village where it was taken was destroyed in the gas attack and all the residents were killed.

It was seeing the photograph, potentially for the first time, along with Bruce's statement of "this IS you" that motivated her back into action as WW. It reminded her of who she once was and what she stood for.

In BvS she is a very stoic and serious character. A complete 180 from her optimistic and hopeful character in WW. It's kind of sad once you realize that her happy and hopeful character disappeared over the years and it all started with Steve's death.

Kelly posted:

Gal Gadot seems like such a nice, genuine person who can't believe she is a Famous Person. It comes across in every interview.
When you see interviews with her costars they all say the same thing too.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 23, 2017

• Locked thread