Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

I'm sorry but this is just ridiculously funny :D

Implying 'fear' is one of those things people do when they actually have little to no understanding of the subject. No little redditor, no one is scared of a computer game, it has no consequences on anyone, released or not. The people who should be very afraid of it are those with money in it, they are the only people who are going to lose anything if it fails.

Directing a notion mindset of 'fear' at people who have literally nothing to lose whichever way it goes is the most laughable defense of an emotional over-investment if ever I saw one. Tell me little redditor, how afeared are you *really* that SC may never see the light of day? It must be quite a lot to be projecting your deepest, darkest, derpest thoughts at those who will suffer no ill effects from it's collapse or completion. :)

(Just so that it's 100% clear, I personally couldn't give fewer fucks, flying or otherwise, if the game ever saw the light of day or if it ends up in disaster, although I prefer the 'disaster' scenario as it would be the funnier of the two outcomes)

Sabreseven fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Good afternoon space friends! Did 3.0 come out while I was sleeping?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Beet Wagon posted:

You should have snagged the comments above that one. Some dude literally not understanding the meaning of "as you were" is too good to pass up.

e: I guess maybe he meant in terms of military slang. So what rank is 'warlord' exactly lol

Where did he even use it? I can't find the context in any of those posts.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

doingitwrong posted:

The one thing we should have learned by now is that time and Star Citizen makes fools of us all. The SC faithful have been so sure that total success is just around the corner for so long. And the SC skeptics have been so sure that total collapse has been just around the corner for so long. And everyone has been wrong.

Star Citizen continues to defy expectations in all directions. It lumbers along blatantly defying the laws of physics, finances, and project management and it just can't die. But it can't live either. And everyone involved, with each passing month, finds themselves thinking "surely it can't continue". Surely they have to release something. Surely there has to be progress. Surely they'll have to come clean. Surely it can't go on like this. But it goes on.

This is purgatory. We are caught in purgatory--in the limbo between dreams and disaster. The people who have forgotten Star Citizen are the only ones who are free. We who choose to watch this slow collapse are just as trapped as those who hope they are watching a slow assembly. Time has no meaning here for us. We repeat actions and complaints and sick burns and pizza fights endlessly. We will do this for eternity. All of us, together, in these grey stimperial wastes.

Yes. This is why I've always landed somewhere in the middle. It'll never succeed but they have more than enough to keep it from dying. It'll just go quietly, like a shart in the night.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

doingitwrong posted:

The one thing we should have learned by now is that time and Star Citizen makes fools of us all. The SC faithful have been so sure that total success is just around the corner for so long. And the SC skeptics have been so sure that total collapse has been just around the corner for so long. And everyone has been wrong.

Star Citizen continues to defy expectations in all directions. It lumbers along blatantly defying the laws of physics, finances, and project management and it just can't die. But it can't live either. And everyone involved, with each passing month, finds themselves thinking "surely it can't continue". Surely they have to release something. Surely there has to be progress. Surely they'll have to come clean. Surely it can't go on like this. But it goes on.

This is purgatory. We are caught in purgatory--in the limbo between dreams and disaster. The people who have forgotten Star Citizen are the only ones who are free. We who choose to watch this slow collapse are just as trapped as those who hope they are watching a slow assembly. Time has no meaning here for us. We repeat actions and complaints and sick burns and pizza fights endlessly. We will do this for eternity. All of us, together, in these grey stimperial wastes.

Sagacious summary, and the more closely you watch it, the slower the clock ticks.

This is why debates about the future are folly, even moreso prognostications about specific ones. The road ahead is forever in fog -- Chris himself controls the fog machine. Does it lead off a cliff hidden just around the bend? Is it a few more miles of sylvan scenery heading straight to Shangri La? So long as the fog swallows all ahead, no one can truly say. This serves him quite well. After all, he has many means to buy more time, to fund further road work -- new loans, concept sales, private investors -- and these transpire in the fog of his making.

But the road behind is as clear as the one ahead is opaque. It is far less open for debate, and all but the most fanatical will concede its been been a misbegotten zigzaggy marathon with far too many dead-ends, missteps and circle-backs to speak well of the navigator. This hasn't humbled his certainty in his fitness to lead. So long as his glycerin supplies last, he can blanket the future in clouds and claim it still leads to The Promised Land and ignore whatever fights blow up between believers and heretics, zealots and haters.

He has an acute need to attract new followers, for the road work continues and the clouds mustn't clear. His methods for attracting more haven't changed since the Kickstarter -- promise he knows the way to Xanadu and sell tickets to those who would go there with him. But debates about how much road he's got left or whether he knows where he's going have little purchase these days. Everyone is exhausted of them. The notoriety around the project comes as much from viciousness of the fights as from the excitement about the possibilities.

Those who would have constructive conversations will focus not on the future but the past, for it has a predictive power of its own that is far more difficult to refute or resist. The future isn't certain but far more can be known of it by looking in the rear-view mirror than through the front windshield.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Ah, good old illogical chimp. Maybe CR talked a big game last year was because he doesn't actually give a poo poo about you muppets or what outcry there might be when he fails to release anything, maybe, just maybe he says these things to get people to give him money constantly.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I'm completely :psyduck: over people talking about how they're going to be using the new "not-a-halo-warthog".

I've been reading posts by other people on other forums about how they're going to load it with EMP missiles to take down spaceships. How they're going to be sniping people in bases from the open top.

Just....where are they getting these ideas? I downloaded, and played, star citizen a little over a month ago and there was NOTHING even remotely like a fun/playable game.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

doingitwrong posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNdbKLIw5rs

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
remember about this time last year thumb man was standing on stage saying how this huge super awesome patch was going to cure cancer and replenish the ice caps was coming around the twelfth month of two thousand and sixteen

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

nawledgelambo posted:

remember about this time last year thumb man was standing on stage saying how this huge super awesome patch was going to cure cancer and replenish the ice caps was coming around the twelfth month of two thousand and sixteen

Tesla. Wright Brothers. Ghandi. Roberts.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

doingitwrong posted:

G0RF posted:

Sagacious summary, and the more closely you watch it, the slower the clock ticks.

This is why debates about the future are folly, even moreso prognostications about specific ones. The road ahead is forever in fog -- Chris himself controls the fog machine. Does it lead off a cliff hidden just around the bend? Is it a few more miles of sylvan scenery heading straight to Shangri La? So long as the fog swallows all ahead, no one can truly say. This serves him quite well. After all, he has many means to buy more time, to fund further road work -- new loans, concept sales, private investors -- and these transpire in the fog of his making.

But the road behind is as clear as the one ahead is opaque. It is far less open for debate, and all but the most fanatical will concede its been been a misbegotten zigzaggy marathon with far too many dead-ends, missteps and circle-backs to speak well of the navigator. This hasn't humbled his certainty in his fitness to lead. So long as his glycerin supplies last, he can blanket the future in clouds and claim it still leads to The Promised Land and ignore whatever fights blow up between believers and heretics, zealots and haters.

He has an acute need to attract new followers, for the road work continues and the clouds mustn't clear. His methods for attracting more haven't changed since the Kickstarter -- promise he knows the way to Xanadu and sell tickets to those who would go there with him. But debates about how much road he's got left or whether he knows where he's going have little purchase these days. Everyone is exhausted of them. The notoriety around the project comes as much from viciousness of the fights as from the excitement about the possibilities.

Those who would have constructive conversations will focus not on the future but the past, for it has a predictive power of its own that is far more difficult to refute or resist. The future isn't certain but far more can be known of it by looking in the rear-view mirror than through the front windshield.

Two glorious summaries that deserve to echo through the pages

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Its almost like dumping hundreds or thousands of dollars into a videogame years past its original release date and requiring a PhD to piece together all the true facts might be something that not everyone feels the same about and is looked down upon because of how passionately these people talk about it.
I agree with your endorsement of Dr. Smart's diligent and relentless efforts to uncover the truth behind CIG's shady practices. Without his work even more people would have been scammed.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Star Citizen

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

peter gabriel posted:

Star Citizen

:eyepop:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
citizen
noun
an inhabitant

star
noun
remote incandescent body like the sun

Even the loving name makes no sense, welcome citizen, welcome to your instant fiery death

Lord Kinbote
Feb 27, 2016

Comparing starcitizen to the steam engine,flight and the worst kind of electricity, oh gently caress off!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

peter gabriel posted:

citizen
noun
an inhabitant

star
noun
remote incandescent body like the sun

Even the loving name makes no sense, welcome citizen, welcome to your instant fiery death
Wrong 'star'. It's a reference to ol' crobbler trying to parasite on the movie stars of yesteryear.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Someone post this in response.

quote:

ask yourself this What does a company supposedly worth $200,000,000 need loans for ?
Make sure you keep all the weird grammatical mistakes.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

Colostomy Bag posted:

Tesla. Wright Brothers. Ghandi. Roberts.

these 4 would only DREAM of meeting the last, even grouping them with him is blasphemous

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

peter gabriel posted:

Star Citizen

commando?

r u ok?

crisp roberts
Oct 13, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

Star Citizen

Biggest joke itt so far.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

crisp roberts posted:

Biggest joke itt so far.
:lesnick:

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
BEN

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
FAT

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I like to think that some bored artist that had to make that buggy scene picked NZ on purpose when he saw Chris Roberts was the director of tourism.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Those heady days of 2013.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/59283/death-to-goons#latest

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

tooterfish posted:

I think it's because he's talked down the competition so much over the years, to do anything "worse" than them would upset the whales.
I feel like the remaining whales are beyond being upset by something like that. They're not even going to really compare the two: they already made their choice, and now all they have to do is keep repeating the same list of marketing catchphrases over and over to keep themselves happy. There's simply no space between "The alpha already has more to do than most AAA games!" and "Elite is a mile wide and an inch deep!" and all of the other bullshit they parrot for any creeping doubts they might or might not have to ever be said out loud.

Whatever half-broken nonsense CIG eventually puts in front of them will get simultaneously excused for being Just An Alpha ("no other company lets us see a product this early in development!") and praised for being more promising and ambitious and successful than anything any other company has ever done ("it's groundbreaking technology!" "no game has ever done anything like this before!" "things are progressing so quickly!"). Give it a few days, maybe less, and they'll have a consistent phrasing for how fuckin' wonderful and amazing the new patch is and how fantastic the future Star Citizen is going to be. None of it will bear much (or any) resemblance to what someone playing the game would see, but that won't matter, either.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

nnnotime posted:

I agree with your endorsement of Dr. Smart's diligent and relentless efforts to uncover the truth behind CIG's shady practices. Without his work even more people would have been scammed.

Exactly! Any old nobody can discover factual truths about this project but they aren't true facts like most know it. You really have to get down to the purest form of facts before you come to the essential truths.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 22, 2017

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/888163046463602688
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/888541752956784640
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/888743561348435969
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/888744917631213568

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

I got it. Force players to use face recognition in game and add the loading screens in when a player isn't looking.

Bam. Done.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Those were some excellent summaries above. Let me phrase a bit of my own position. To accommodate them.

Those who wait for something to happen will inevitably be disappointed until it happens. Those who enjoy what is happening will have a good time meanwhile and will celebrate an end after all just as much.

It is the same as playing "grindy" video games.
Now I don't have much experience with grindy Korean MMOs, but I played elite dangerous for a long time and still do and I'm currently playing war thunder, a free to play with premium shortcuts.

I never perceived one of the 2 as a grind. When I play war thunder I play it to shoot tanks to burning wrecks. When I play elite I do Massacre missions and bounty hunt with my friends. I never touched a single Crate of cargo is elite and I'm sitting in a nicely engineered FDL and am half way to a federal corvette. And I enjoyed every minute of the way to that.

I'm reading this thread and I enjoy all the things that this weird "sedis vacans" spawns us. Crazy citizens, hate, goon fear, refunds, drama and Derek smart. It's better than pay TV. And I got a first row ticket to hell still with my limp citizen account. I see the mind gymnastics on spectrum, and CIGs chat roll comments every day. It's hilarious.

Enjoy this time people. Don't focus what could happen when.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

That 3.0 sizzle reel has maybe ten seconds of actual gameplay in it. :\

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

ZenMaster posted:

Well yeah.

Do you have any idea how much actual gameplay costs to produce? Money doesn't grow on trees, son. :colbert:

It grows on whales

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Meridian posted:

Good afternoon space friends! Did 3.0 come out while I was sleeping?

yep, best drat space sim ever.

What's your av about?

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Goons must died !

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Kromlech posted:

yep, best drat space sim ever.

What's your av about?

Don't ask questions, commando.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

ZenMaster posted:

That's an infinite percent improvement for CIG.

They really are making progress!