Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Emron posted:

I liked the elder wyrm fight because there was really no reason for it. You're just on your way to a holy mountain and oh, hey, there's a forest rock dragon here. Better fight it.

The Elder Wyrm has my favorite monster lore.

It's a dead dragon that got partially consumed by vegetation, which then brought it back to life -- and it retains its previous memories and sentience, it seems, and chooses to guard the forest that now sustains it. Or it could be that this is just how it looks to the bestiary narrator -- and in fact it is a puppet of the forest, not undead, wholly alive now, an amalgmation of flesh and wood.

It's cool and also the dragon boss you fight in the Stilshrine is great because the lore is basically "we have no loving idea what this is, how to make it, or how it came to be here."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

I dont know what this hack changes, so maybe this is no longer true, but Relm is one of the best characters in the normal game since she has the highest natural magic stat

Strago is just kinda there tho yeah, blue magic isn't bad but it's also not really necessary when you have two other variations on it in Gao and Relm

I heard Sketch was really buggy in the regular game.

But Relm still has the best Mag stat in the hack from what I've been told. I just found her, too. I was going to get that Gestahl Treasure Map and stumbled upon her and that weird little subplot. I now have two new Espers, Fenrir and Starlet. Starlet teaches RegenX for my boy Setzer. I am very happy.

Also, on the note of collecting Espers, one user friednly design decision included in this is resetting your Esper Levels. In this, you gain Esper Levels which you then trade in for stat gains from the Espers available to that character. But naturally, I didn't get Starlet until just now for example which means I could have been pouring all those levels into boosting a different stat for Setzer. So, once I have all the Espers I can head to the Colosseum, reset all the stat gains, and allocate the points in a way I never could have before. It's good-thinking. I enjoy RPG's that let you "rebuild" your character.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 22, 2017

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
sketch is incredibly buggy in the SNES version but i only ever played ff6 on the GBA, where it's been fixed

it's still not really good tbh, there's rarely a situation where you wanna use it

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

I heard Sketch was really buggy in the regular game.

But Relm still has the best Mag stat in the hack from what I've been told. I just found her, too. I was going to get that Gestahl Treasure Map and stumbled upon her and that weird little subplot. I now have two new Espers, Fenrir and Starlet. Starlet teaches RegenX for my boy Setzer. I am very happy.

Also, on the note of collecting Espers, one user friednly design decision included in this is resetting your Esper Levels. In this, you gain Esper Levels which you then trade in for stat gains from the Espers available to that character. But naturally, I didn't get Starlet until just now for example which means I could have been pouring all those levels into boosting a different stat for Setzer. So, once I have all the Espers I can head to the Colosseum, reset all the stat gains, and allocate the points in a way I never could have before. It's good-thinking. I enjoy RPG's that let you "rebuild" your character.

A speed+mag Relm (BNW) doesn't beat Shadow, but is still one of the best dps characters once she gets Flare. Strago is also a bit of a late bloomer, not as late as Relm though, as many of his best Lores and such are in the WoR. He also can get reasonable levels of speed from gear.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
How do I beat the first Demon Wall? I've been grinding trials for fun a lot and I have most people's boards filled out with most important stuff, most people have level 3 Quickenings, and when I chain them together I do like 4000 damage which is maybe 25-30% of its health. Then Balthier gets x-zoned which I don't have any way to prevent or fix, then even with a Hastega stone the rest of the party can't do enough damage to win.

What the gently caress I thought this game was ~ezpz~.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Elephant Ambush posted:

How do I beat the first Demon Wall? I've been grinding trials for fun a lot and I have most people's boards filled out with most important stuff, most people have level 3 Quickenings, and when I chain them together I do like 4000 damage which is maybe 25-30% of its health. Then Balthier gets x-zoned which I don't have any way to prevent or fix, then even with a Hastega stone the rest of the party can't do enough damage to win.

I set battle speed to max since his movement speed doesn't change. Blasted him with everything I had but even with the Karkata, it was close. I think I was level 20ish? I don't know that there is an easy way to win it outside a lucky couple quickening chains.

Of course, you don't have to beat the first one, either.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Elephant Ambush posted:

cherry staff + reflectga mote and bounce aeros off your team

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Elephant Ambush posted:

What levels are your characters at? And do you have them all fighting barehanded or something? I managed it pretty easily with 22/23 guys and gals.

If you're doing it just to get the Demonsbane, be aware that they've tweaked the % chance of it appearing in the "prize" chest at the end of the secret area. It went from 19-ish% in the original NA release to approximately 0.00% in the IZJS and Zodiac Age versions.

Enjoy your scathe mote :yotj:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mega64 posted:

Yeah, that's something dumb in both the original and the hack. If you don't wait until the last few seconds of this "escape the crumbling continent" scenario, you permanently miss out on a character.

i waited for shadow when i was a kid because i was so bad at video games that i didn't have to wait for him

mandatory lesbian posted:

sketch is incredibly buggy in the SNES version but i only ever played ff6 on the GBA, where it's been fixed

it's still not really good tbh, there's rarely a situation where you wanna use it

relm's not that great but isn't the point of using her control instead of sketch? she's like strago's backup dancer for getting support lores.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 22, 2017

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

What levels are your characters at? And do you have them all fighting barehanded or something? I managed it pretty easily with 22/23 guys and gals.

If you're doing it just to get the Demonsbane, be aware that they've tweaked the % chance of it appearing in the "prize" chest at the end of the secret area. It went from 19-ish% in the original NA release to approximately 0.00% in the IZJS and Zodiac Age versions.

Enjoy your scathe mote :yotj:

Wait, so even if I grind to beat this nerd I'm not guaranteed the special sword? gently caress that.

Also what trial gives the Karkata?

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Emron posted:

I liked the elder wyrm fight because there was really no reason for it. You're just on your way to a holy mountain and oh, hey, there's a forest rock dragon here. Better fight it.

there are honestly very few bosses that make any thematic sense in ffxii, one of my few dislikes of the game. every one just feels like "welp the party walked into a large square room, better hit the random monster button and see what pops out!"

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
What's the difference between Original, Reorchestrated and OST for music choice for the PS4 rerelease of FF12?

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

W.T. Fits posted:

What's the difference between Original, Reorchestrated and OST for music choice for the PS4 rerelease of FF12?

Original is essentially the soundtrack running on PS2 hardware music. OST is the original soundtrack with CD quality music. Reorchestrated is the soundtrack rerecorded with a live orchestra.

I recommend the Reorchestrated option.

Tighran
Jun 28, 2004
It's been a long time since I played FF12 so I'm pretty excited to try it again, and hopefully go after some of the mega-bosses I didn't get around to before. How reasonable is it to do as much of the game as possible without using Vaan? I remember pretty much ignoring him entirely late-game in the past but I don't know how much I'll need to use him up to that point. Obviously I'll need to use him starting out, but I want to dump him as soon as I can. Are there any good job assignments that will get me a strong 4 or 5 person team (I remember Penelo being meh too)?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Elephant Ambush posted:

Wait, so even if I grind to beat this nerd I'm not guaranteed the special sword? gently caress that.

Hey, be glad I told you now and not after you'd reloaded fifty times trying to get a drop that would never happen. You seriously only get a single scathe mote for your trouble if you manage to kill the thing--it's up to you whether or not it's worth it.

You'll be able to buy the sword at a few weapon shops soon though, so at least that's something? :confuoot:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Hey, be glad I told you now and not after you'd reloaded fifty times trying to get a drop that would never happen. You seriously only get a single scathe mote for your trouble if you manage to kill the thing--it's up to you whether or not it's worth it.

You'll be able to buy the sword at a few weapon shops soon though, so at least that's something? :confuoot:

Holy poo poo yeah thanks for telling me that now. Gonna skip it. What a stupid change.

Which trial gives the Karkata? I want to spend some time trying for it later.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Tighran posted:

It's been a long time since I played FF12 so I'm pretty excited to try it again, and hopefully go after some of the mega-bosses I didn't get around to before. How reasonable is it to do as much of the game as possible without using Vaan? I remember pretty much ignoring him entirely late-game in the past but I don't know how much I'll need to use him up to that point. Obviously I'll need to use him starting out, but I want to dump him as soon as I can. Are there any good job assignments that will get me a strong 4 or 5 person team (I remember Penelo being meh too)?
The producer will personally visit your house and slap the controller out of your hand if you spend longer than 4 hours without cycling Vaan into your active party.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tighran posted:

You can have two jobs per character in this version, and in IZJS, you could only have one job per character. That means you can have as many jobs in a three-character team in this as you could in your whole party in IZJS. It's not hard at all to make even a three-character team completely self-sufficient, let alone four or five.

also Vaan is a good character who doesn't deserve all the poo poo he gets

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Elephant Ambush posted:

Holy poo poo yeah thanks for telling me that now. Gonna skip it. What a stupid change.

Which trial gives the Karkata? I want to spend some time trying for it later.

Stage 3, super rare steal from the Flowering Cactoid.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
Do thief's cuffs help or hurt in that scenario

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

hagie posted:

I really don't know, I did it without and it took maybe 20 tries. it's really random so I think that may have been on the lucky side.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

As soon as you have a fourth party member you never need to use Vaan again except for a minigame where you have to be him.

Vaan at least has a big role in the story, Penelo and Fran are story trash.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 22, 2017

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Levantine posted:

Stage 3, super rare steal from the Flowering Cactoid.

Thanks. I couldn't find a good list of rare steal items in trial mode.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Antsylvania posted:

To borrow from here:

Jesus Christ no wonder I never bothered using Quickenings

I'll just powerlevel like a normal person

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

hagie posted:

They increase the odds from 5% to 6%

Barudak
May 7, 2007

precision posted:

Quickenings don't work quite the same way in Zodiac. They don't give you more MP but they don't use an MP either now. Using it starts a button mashing minigame where you just keep clicking buttons to do another quickening. refresh quickenings, or reroll as fast as you can. It's, honestly, braindead easy and really just used to power through bosses desperation health-bar portion.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

precision posted:

You'll learn to use them once enemies start getting the boring bullshit that are PALINGS

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I think quickenings are maybe the worst implementation of a limit break system the series has done. They're kinds ugly, happens in a void, make no sense in relation to the characters or plot, takes forever to use, are unengaging as gameplay and are just learnt on the board like everything else. Big meh.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Quickenings amuse me because they're literally Sentai/Kamen Rider ultimate attack poses.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I would probably like Quickenings more if every single one took like 3 entire minutes of the character posing, transforming and saying their Power Phrase

so basically Magical Girl Anime Attacks

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, Quickenings are weird and I really don't understand them from any angle.

However, on the other hand, one of Basch's lets him "collapse space-time," so that's pretty cool.

The only thing I really like about the license board is how Espers work, honestly. I like the way they serve as bridges to unlock cool things and that even with two jobs you sometimes still have to actually think about who gets what Esper a bit.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I like how one of Fran's is "kick them REALLY HARD"

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Attitude Indicator posted:

happens in a void,

this is one of the few other things i dont like about ffxii, all big attacks are dragon quest style fancy attacking the screen with weird flashes and poo poo while apparently existing in their own dimension

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's probably another symptom of 12 being the first FF game where you just fought enemies on the map instead of going to a cutaway battle

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Yeah, it may have just been a limitation either on the hardware of the PS2 that got carried forward or a limitation in the imagination of the devs. I did like a 21 hit earlier and it took forever and I realized then I don't really like the Quickening system that much either.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Levantine posted:

Yeah, it may have just been a limitation either on the hardware of the PS2 that got carried forward or a limitation in the imagination of the devs. I did like a 21 hit earlier and it took forever and I realized then I don't really like the Quickening system that much either.

Zell's limit break is a much better setup, I agree :)

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Zell's limit break is a much better setup, I agree :)

It's funny you say that because I was thinking at the time how much I'd rather be doing Armageddon Fist for like 20 minutes instead :v:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sakurazuka posted:

It's probably another symptom of 12 being the first FF game where you just fought enemies on the map instead of going to a cutaway battle

And to be fair, there was a lot of new ground being trod by FFXII when it was first released, even as an end-of-system title. I don't really think the PS3 era has been good for RPGs overall, the next-gen somehow lost interest in anything that wasn't shooting related, but we've had open-world games that featured heavy RPG systems, and we've had games like Witcher 3 actually prove that you can have a game with the scope of the Elder Scrolls but also with functioning gameplay and good storytelling.

If Square had taken 12 as a foundation and used it as the basis for a string of future Final Fantasies, like they did with FFV and the ATB system, then they might have pioneered that genre along with the rest of the industry. It's not strictly fair to use modern standards for open-world RPGs and the like to judge FFXII.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

One interesting side effect of the "cinematic boss attacks" thing is that it often doesn't let you know much about how those attacks are targeted. Some of them are cones, some of them are AoEs around the boss, and some of them are AoEs around the boss's target. I think the Elder Wyrm's Sporefall is an example of that last one--if you can make the boss target someone and keep them away from the rest of your party, you can keep most of your group safe from the flood of status effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
Am I missing an unlock camera button, because I can't see how a goddamned thing is targeted. If it's a flying enemy I can't even see the damage numbers because my leader gets underneath it

On an unrelated note how do you resist going to trial mode and unlocking the whole license board at level 22--I can get to state 14/~220 LP in 3 minutes at 4x practically AFK