Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

I know I just slammed a bottle of painkillers with a Red Bull irl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

cosmicjim posted:

The two responses to the scope question.
One says they change between guns. One says they don't.

I wouldn't be surprised if what Duckaerobics said about it being a stock or generic store asset is true given my experience with actually trying to use the ranging markers.

I haven't spent hours testing everything so a bigger sperg might be able to elaborate, but from what I've seen zeroing works for targets in the center of wherever you're aiming(which is seriously a good thing), but range markers on the scopes are not accurate or useful outside of a point of reference for bullet drop(i.e. look at where your bullet lands and adjust aim up accordingly).

Range markers on the acog might be accurate for a single gun or ammo type, but I recall actually trying to use the range markers to shoot at something 600m away with one of the ARs(don't remember which or even the ammo type) and not even seeing bullets hit anything until I adjusted my aim down and lined up a test shot to work out where the gently caress my shots were actually going and bullets were hitting well above the 400m notch on a building I knew to be approximately 600m away.

TL;DR - If you want to make long range shots you can't trust the ranging notches, get used to zeroing(rebind the keys if necessary).

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I can't find targets at extreme ranges anyway

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Super fun getting #2 three times today and getting owned.

:yeah:

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

lohli posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if what Duckaerobics said about it being a stock or generic store asset is true given my experience with actually trying to use the ranging markers.

I haven't spent hours testing everything so a bigger sperg might be able to elaborate, but from what I've seen zeroing works for targets in the center of wherever you're aiming(which is seriously a good thing), but range markers on the scopes are not accurate or useful outside of a point of reference for bullet drop(i.e. look at where your bullet lands and adjust aim up accordingly).

Range markers on the acog might be accurate for a single gun or ammo type, but I recall actually trying to use the range markers to shoot at something 600m away with one of the ARs(don't remember which or even the ammo type) and not even seeing bullets hit anything until I adjusted my aim down and lined up a test shot to work out where the gently caress my shots were actually going and bullets were hitting well above the 400m notch on a building I knew to be approximately 600m away.

TL;DR - If you want to make long range shots you can't trust the ranging notches, get used to zeroing(rebind the keys if necessary).

This is good info.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I hate this auto bug. I had 3-4 people dead to rights and switched my UMP to auto and it only fired one shot. Then I died.

Has caused my death a few times.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Won my first solo game for about a month tonight. Ended up on the cliffs down on the miltary island. I cleared out the three dudes on top of the cliffs, but there were two left. The circle was at it's smallest (I didn't know it stopped!) and two people were left, so I knew they had to be further down. Poked my head over and killed one dude about halfway up. Spent ages trying to crawl my way down to make sure I wasn't spotted/seen, until I saw the last guy on the beach below me. Like, how did he think that would go? I had the high ground and he had nowhere to go.

Fun game though. I started in a lovely location and had to kill to get weapons. I've learned (what I consider) the best locations in each area so I end up just heading there every time so it gets a bit boring.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
It's interesting how the learning experience goes in this game. I went from not knowing where I was getting shot from to actually spotting a guy who was shooting me (a second before he shot me)

Soon I hope to fire back at the guys who shoot me, maybe even hit one of them!

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EvilHawk posted:

Won my first solo game for about a month tonight. Ended up on the cliffs down on the miltary island. I cleared out the three dudes on top of the cliffs, but there were two left. The circle was at it's smallest (I didn't know it stopped!) and two people were left, so I knew they had to be further down. Poked my head over and killed one dude about halfway up. Spent ages trying to crawl my way down to make sure I wasn't spotted/seen, until I saw the last guy on the beach below me. Like, how did he think that would go? I had the high ground and he had nowhere to go.

Fun game though. I started in a lovely location and had to kill to get weapons. I've learned (what I consider) the best locations in each area so I end up just heading there every time so it gets a bit boring.

What are the good spots?

Pattonesque posted:

It's interesting how the learning experience goes in this game. I went from not knowing where I was getting shot from to actually spotting a guy who was shooting me (a second before he shot me)

Soon I hope to fire back at the guys who shoot me, maybe even hit one of them!

Someday you will be the rear end in a top hat firing off long rang shots at people!

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Digital Jedi posted:

I hate this auto bug. I had 3-4 people dead to rights and switched my UMP to auto and it only fired one shot. Then I died.

Has caused my death a few times.

Post recordings, I thought this happened but I had switched it before the fight it turns out.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

DrPlump posted:

What are the good spots?

Someday you will be the rear end in a top hat firing off long rang shots at people!

I have a few times! It's actually gone OK for the most part. What I need to learn now is (when people are firing at me) to spot the flashes and get to cover. Sometimes they'll fire at me and I'll get to cover and it turns out -- oh dear, I'm on the wrong side of the cover!

I do wish muzzle flashes were a little more obvious but this will probably come with experience

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Sadly I don't record.

I know I switched it to auto this time because I just knocked down 2 people in single fire and wanted to push in a warehouse with them down so I switched to auto but didn't work.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Digital Jedi posted:

Sadly I don't record.

I know I switched it to auto this time because I just knocked down 2 people in single fire and wanted to push in a warehouse with them down so I switched to auto but didn't work.

So you put it in burst, got it.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
this is the toyota "unintended sudden acceleration" thing all over again

everybody was like "no i swear the car just accelerated on its own and got me into that accident"

and after careful analysis, it turned out they just pressed the wrong pedal by accident every single time

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

VulgarandStupid posted:

So you put it in burst, got it.

It's a real thing, sometimes when a weapon is set to auto it just won't work. Game is buggy.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Flashes generally are obvious but the problem is you have to already be looking at them, so they're good for seeing which of a dozen windows someone is firing from when you already know that there is someone shooting from a certain direction and you have that last bit of work to see exactly where they are. But generally sound is all you need to get an accurate direction and 9 times out of 10 you'll have a clear view of them, whether they're on the side of a hill or just about hanging out of a window trying to shoot dudes.

Having said that, flash hiders are not worthless, because if you're shooting from apartments with 18 windows on one side that little bit of decreased obviousness can be the difference between getting spotted(and shot) and being able to poke at people with something resembling impunity provided you are careful.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

EvilHawk posted:

Eventually the circle disappears and it becomes a battle of healing. So he could've won if he had more meds/boosts than you, so in those situations some people will camp it out and not even try to find the other guy remaining.

VietCampo fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 23, 2017

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Nevvy Z posted:

But the VSS can't actually hit that far can it? "effective range" is a thing in game on the guns and correlating that to scopes is breaking my brain.

https://plays.tv/s/LLqAhltCgRuk

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Haha dude must have had no armor and like 5% health.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

The sad thing is, you can almost out-revive and out-heal the VSS. I was plinking some guys on the near side of a hill, far enough that I had to use the third ^ to hit them. I kept downing them, then trying to kill the guy who was reviving them. They'd basically get the revive off in time for the reviver to be downed, but with only 10 shots per magazine, piss poor damage and a 4.5 second reload time, I was only to able to get 1 kill despite having downed all 3 at different times.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

VulgarandStupid posted:

The sad thing is, you can almost out-revive and out-heal the VSS. I was plinking some guys on the near side of a hill, far enough that I had to use the third ^ to hit them. I kept downing them, then trying to kill the guy who was reviving them. They'd basically get the revive off in time for the reviver to be downed, but with only 10 shots per magazine, piss poor damage and a 4.5 second reload time, I was only to able to get 1 kill despite having downed all 3 at different times.

Yeah the VSS is a bargain bin sniper rifle, but it does come pre-attached, so I think it can be forgiven for not being a good squad killer.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
It's silent as gently caress and uses common ammo so it's basically the perfect weapon for a bush wookiee, which is why I like it.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

chocoTaco posted:

hey guys! it's chocoTaco. I'm new to the forums...thought you guys might enjoy my first PUBG video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25DdVZeT6q8

add his stream to the OP now

https://www.twitch.tv/chocotaco

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

Shima Honnou posted:

It's silent as gently caress and uses common ammo so it's basically the perfect weapon for a bush wookiee, which is why I like it.

:yeah: For the same purpose an ump9 can be better, but that requires AT LEAST a suppressor and 4x scope, you'd get a higher zeroing range and much better capacity/reload.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Shima Honnou posted:

its very useful for solos, and its usefulness descends by how many players are squadded up

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Teeter posted:

I'm honestly surprised that this is even a question with PUBG. The application should just read "We're goddamn Something Awful"

Literally every online game should have endless stories of the triumphs and destruction that Goons have directly caused or been a part of. The internet has grown and branched out over the past decade so we're far from the largest anymore, but I still can't think of many communities that have been as influential as us in the grand scheme of things.

What was SA's last real act of notoriety?

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cuntellectual posted:

GamerGate and/or Weird Twitter

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Why yes, when we're in house/outside-the-door or close urban combat, the instant a teammate is KO'ed I'm going to stop shooting and rush over to revive instead of clearing the area first. Please stop bitching over mic you're dying outside on the doorstep and I choose to shoot the shotgun guy that's immediately instead of reving your rear end, the first Knock Down timer has a good what, full minute if you don't get shot.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
During duos the other night, my buddy and I killed some guy, then his partner starts talking on pub chat from inside a house:

Him: "Don't kill me, I'm coming out - I know where a Jeep is, I'll uber you guys to wherever you need to go"
Us: ".... Deal."

My buddy tells him to drop all his poo poo on the floor inside, and watches him do so through a window. We let him come out, guns pointed at him the whole time, and sure enough, he brings us to a Jeep and is our personal driver for the rest of the game. We'd tell him to go to certain areas/locations, we'd scout a building, clean it up, and sure enough, he'd wait for us outside in the Jeep. He drove us around in his underwear for the better part of 10 minutes, talking poo poo and cracking jokes the whole time. Dude was bomb as gently caress.

You make this game awesome random driver guy.

Edit: I tried this in a later match and got loving domed within about .02 seconds.

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

Cuntellectual posted:

Star Trek online, and eve goons always have something going on

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Cuntellectual posted:

Getting Trump elected through the whirlwind of Vilerat dying in Benghazi; the email scandal rolled out of the investigations of that and well here we are.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Some fun goon squads last night. Here are a couple highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r1nOZe0Bks&t=1150s (Pan best item in game)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS1I-AixKCo&t=399s

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

willroc7 posted:

Some fun goon squads last night. Here are a couple highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r1nOZe0Bks&t=1150s (Pan best item in game)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS1I-AixKCo&t=399s

Turn off PTT notifications, bro.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
:toot: Oh man first solo win, 3 dudes left I heard my own heartbeat, thought it was the game at first. Spotted last dude's rear end sticking out from behind the left side of a tree, tagged him, and he runs out of cover to the right side like I was shooting from my left. Lined up the 2x HS just for shits.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
I really wish this game had more stupid, useless weapons. The crossbow is so much fun. Put in a Civil War-era musket or a dinky .22 rifle that can only kill with headshots.

There's nothing funnier in the game than watching the really hardcore players sperg out because they can't find their precious scope that they would've lost in 5 minutes anyway.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
crossbow owns i love it.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
paging lohli

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Low Desert Punk posted:

I really wish this game had more stupid, useless weapons. The crossbow is so much fun. Put in a Civil War-era musket or a dinky .22 rifle that can only kill with headshots.

There's nothing funnier in the game than watching the really hardcore players sperg out because they can't find their precious scope that they would've lost in 5 minutes anyway.

They should set it up so that it sometimes only spawns bad weapons on the entire map. Having crossbow versus VSS dodgefights everywhere sounds pretty fun.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

cosmicjim posted:

Turn off PTT notifications, bro.

Say what now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

willroc7 posted:

Say what now?

The push to Talk notification beep.

• Locked thread