Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Don Dongington posted:

4K TVs are already starting to appear in regular homes - in a year or two you would be an idiot to buy a new HDTV over a UHDTV, and to take advantage of that you're going to need a 50mbit connection. We knew this 5 years ago, and it's loving basic.

Just wait until holographic video begins gathering steam, the bandwidth requirements for it will undoubtedly be insane and likely only quenched by an optical connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Yeah I dunno why people think physical formats are gonna die when a Holographic Video Disc can hold a poo poo load of video.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_Versatile_Disc

HVD will come out soon enough and it's gonna be insane. Even when some of the companies went bankrupt the corpse s still being dragged into development and eventually the consumer phase.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Anidav posted:

Yeah I dunno why people think physical formats are gonna die when a Holographic Video Disc can hold a poo poo load of video.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_Versatile_Disc

HVD will come out soon enough and it's gonna be insane. Even when some of the companies went bankrupt the corpse s still being dragged into development and eventually the consumer phase.

It would be awesome to have something cheaper to back up my spinning rust media to other than more spinning rust

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Fear the cloud.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

http://www.9news.com.au/national/2017/07/23/09/52/shorten-calls-for-four-year-federal-terms
Bill Shorten wants the coalition to join with him and say whoever wins the next election, both sides will pursue extending federal parliament to four-year terms.

The Labor leader says the nation needs the certainty and longer-term policy making that lengthening the election cycle from three years would bring.

"Governments can be more daring and more determined if they're not constantly thinking about the next election," Mr Shorten told ABC TV on Sunday.

Sure wish the government were more daring in their policy approach. So many good ideas, but hamstrung by the vile public.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Bill Shorten : I'm happy to doom this shithole country to an 8 year Dutton Reich

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Anidav posted:

Bill Shorten : I'm happy to doom this shithole country to an 8 year Dutton Reich

lol if you think it's going to end

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
I'm actually not opposed to the idea of four year terms. We already have them for state elections, and frankly three years is an absolute joke in terms of being able to create, implement and longitudinally monitor programs, especially in areas like education or health.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Yeah it's short terms that are preventing us from improving health and education.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

open24hours posted:

Yeah it's short terms that are preventing us from improving health and education.

Since the Libs are literally still blaming labor for poo poo 4 years later it's a sure thing that longer term lengths won't change anything

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/jul/23/peter-dutton-calls-for-voluntary-postal-vote-on-marriage-equality

Hahaha potato wants a non compulsory postal vote on marriage equality.
He wants it because he thinks only old people would bother, I'm pretty sure it would still come back against them.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

norp posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/jul/23/peter-dutton-calls-for-voluntary-postal-vote-on-marriage-equality

Hahaha potato wants a non compulsory postal vote on marriage equality.
He wants it because he thinks only old people would bother, I'm pretty sure it would still come back against them.

Which is why it should also be non-binding just in case it does pass

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

DancingShade posted:

Maybe Dutton could add that to his portfolio as well.
Oh gently caress, now you've said it.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I have no issue with four year terms - the problem is due to the overreliance on polls and just general instability our last few governments have gone to election at the barest minimum time.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
3 years is too long already.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
Just use each newspoll instead of running costly elections. A truly agile and innovative Parliament where a term of office may be as short as a month long will be more democratic. The government is already completely poll driven so might as well formalise it.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

If the NBN had an extra year, maybe it would have survived. Ehh, who am I kidding.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

5 year terms imo

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The ABC thumbnail seems to think Bill Shorten is insane though

Seriously is this what a coalition run ABC looks like? I know Turnfuck put n some Newscorp shill in there a few months back.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

OVER THE TOP

BLOODY RIPOFF

AUSSIE BATTLERS

STING ON HIP POCKETS

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The year is 2037 and Leigh Sales is going to tell me how to slash my grocery bill in half.

I check the politics section on the ABC Hologram.

"PANTS ON FIRE: BLOODY OPPO LEADER WANTS TO GET LONGER JOB. OFF THE HOOK"

I load my revolver with one bullet

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
in 2037 you won't be able to afford a bullet, just beat yourself to death with the pistol

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGmYLAXBP8U

:cry:

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

lmao

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

GoldStandardConure posted:

in 2037 you won't be able to afford a bullet, just beat yourself to death with the pistol

The pistol is Australian made too

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

The year is 2037 and Leigh Sales is going to tell me how to slash my grocery bill in half.

I check the politics section on the ABC Hologram.

"PANTS ON FIRE: BLOODY OPPO LEADER WANTS TO GET LONGER JOB. OFF THE HOOK"

I load my revolver with one bullet

Anidav sighed as he drew his katana n-gage.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Holy. loving. poo poo.

:five:

Sad Wendigo
Jul 23, 2007

Nap Ghost

tithin posted:

You did something right, you're not the leader of an Australian political party.

Good point!
More trawling Something Awful during work hours for me then, it's clearly the moral choice.

:five:
Maybe his best one.

Sad Wendigo fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jul 23, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

My Nona really liked this episode of the Twilight Zone, she thought the soldiers were cute. Bloody randy Nonas.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The next episode looks terrifying.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

:perfect:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/GhostWhoVotes/status/889087566615465985

meh

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/CroweDM/status/889088160793100288

14 more to go.

Also Kevin Bonham has said that Newspoll used to be a lot bouncier but they changed their methodology.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
A row has erupted over the choice of former senator Graham Richardson to deliver a key address at next weekend's NSW Labor conference, with a senior member of the party's left faction slamming it as "unbelievable".

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

https://twitter.com/CroweDM/status/889088160793100288

14 more to go.

Also Kevin Bonham has said that Newspoll used to be a lot bouncier but they changed their methodology.

Trump and Brexit forced a massive rejig on how numbers are calculated worldwide didn't they?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Schlesische posted:

Trump and Brexit forced a massive rejig on how numbers are calculated worldwide didn't they?

Wasn't that purely due to their inability to predict turnout in elections with non-compulsory voting? That wouldn't be especially relevant here would it?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

gay picnic defence posted:

Wasn't that purely due to their inability to predict turnout in elections with non-compulsory voting? That wouldn't be especially relevant here would it?

Yes, and then the last election in the UK completely stumped them again, because suddenly the youth who had been saying they'd vote and not show up in earlier elections said they'd vote and then actually voted.

Of course if they'd just looked at the massive spike in youth registration like Survation did, they'd have seen it coming.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Lid posted:

A row has erupted over the choice of former senator Graham Richardson to deliver a key address at next weekend's NSW Labor conference, with a senior member of the party's left faction slamming it as "unbelievable".

The first choice was Eddie Obeid but he declined as the speaker's fee wasn't high enough.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/inflation-nightclub-shooting-couple-shot-at-nightclub-to-sue-police-20170723-gxgy71.html

A couple shot by police at a private swingers party while dressed as comic book villains will launch legal action against Victoria Police, seeking hundreds of thousands of dollars in damages.

noice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Birdstrike posted:

The first choice was Eddie Obeid but he declined as the speaker's fee wasn't high enough.
It was actually a typo they wanted Roger Rogerson.

• Locked thread