Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DC Murderverse posted:

poo poo, wrong former Dr Who, I meant Eccleston. Tennant was good but I wasn't meaning to talk about the TV shows.

Fair enough. Though I'd also say Obadiah Stane in Iron Man 1 was a very memorable villain, and Robert Redford in Cap 2.

teagone posted:

DCEU films have had the one up visually on every MCU film. Ragnarok looks like the first one to finally match the DCEU visual standard, but while colorful, it still looks like some shots suffer that flat lighting with little contrast the MCU movies are known for.

Eh. Man of Steel was visually great, but I wouldn't hand out any prizes to BvS or Wonder Woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I liked The Dark World, but I'm not gonna push anyone to watch it unless they want to.

Thor, though, is the biz.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Cythereal posted:

Fair enough. Though I'd also say Obadiah Stane in Iron Man 1 was a very memorable villain, and Robert Redford in Cap 2.

I don't count Iron Man because it was made under very different circumstances, and Redford was good because they didn't coat him in makeup and CGI.

The absolute worst villains in the MCU have all been ones where they completely cover up the actors with makeup and accents and cgi. Spader was an exception to the rule, but Guardians and Thor 2 are the worst of it, with Doctor Strange coming in right behind them.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

DC Murderverse posted:

this. this right here is my poo poo.

i am super pumped to see if Cate Blanchett can break through the "lame villain" curse that has plagued Marvel movies. Really the only ones to break through it have been Kurt Russell and James Spader (I'm not counting Tom Hiddleston because he has had multiple movies to establish character), and I don't think it's entirely a measure of actor quality because Mads Mikkelson and David Tennant are both awesome actors and kinda got lost in their roles.

Dafoe, Roth, Keaton, Rourke, Kingsley, Church, Giamatti and Molina were all good. McKellan is always great. Then again, that's a lot of Sony movies so maybe I see your point.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mr President posted:

Captain Marvel takes place in the 90s, she fights the skrulls and super skrull

Wait, I thought Fox had the Skrulls because of the Fantastic Four rights (which is why they hauled the Chitauri out from the Ultimate comics for Avengers)?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DC Murderverse posted:

I don't count Iron Man because it was made under very different circumstances, and Redford was good because they didn't coat him in makeup and CGI.

The absolute worst villains in the MCU have all been ones where they completely cover up the actors with makeup and accents and cgi. Spader was an exception to the rule, but Guardians and Thor 2 are the worst of it, with Doctor Strange coming in right behind them.

So they don't count because that wouldn't support your point, gotcha. Goalposts duly moved.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0oDm4J3YOg

I love it

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I feel like a loving idiot for thinking Thor 3 looks really, really good. Like, I've been burned twice and I'm definitely going back.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

BiggerBoat posted:

Dafoe, Roth, Keaton, Rourke, Kingsley, Church, Giamatti and Molina were all good. McKellan is always great. Then again, that's a lot of Sony movies so maybe I see your point.

Yeah, Spider-Man movies don't count because with the exception of the first ASM the villains in all of them are top loving notch. Also Kingsley doesn't really count since he's not the real villain of the piece.

Timby posted:

Wait, I thought Fox had the Skrulls because of the Fantastic Four rights (which is why they hauled the Chitauri out from the Ultimate comics for Avengers)?

Super Skrull is a separate thing from The Skrulls when it comes to rights.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Fart City posted:

Kind of reminds me of James Gunn and GOTG. Neither Super nor Slither were particularly visually rich... but he basically blew the doors off of the Marvel House Style with that first Guardians entry. There seems to be something about the indie, fringe guys getting a chance at bat that makes them bring their Triple-A game.

Here's the thing, though... No he didn't. Gunn's movies looked exactly what you'd expect a fringe MCU film to look like. Even CP could make it look better with a few minutes of photoshop.

Waititi has actually pushed the aesthetic absurdism of the production design further than Gunn, but also moving forward compositionally. Like, look at these shots:

It's not just that the aesthetics of the set design are 'Kirby-esque,' or whatever. It's that despite how oblong and unnaturally decadent the environments are, Waititi makes them look uncomfortably naturalistic. The curvature of the gilded wall complements that of the witch lady's horns, the intrusive red/blue oblong shape complements Thor and Hulk's rigid physique. Like, the characters are even joking about which one of them is water and which one is fire, and the background is composed entirely of red and blue. That's both a good complement to what's occurring at the level of characterization, as well as a good joke at the expense of the characters. They really are just cartoon hunks slotted like tetris pieces into the environment. Neither of them is fire or water - they're both just red and blue shapes.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

LesterGroans posted:

I feel like a loving idiot for thinking Thor 3 looks really, really good. Like, I've been burned twice and I'm definitely going back.

Thor 3 has Hulk. Having him in the film alone puts it way above the first two.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Disney, please don't be a dick and just release the infinity war trailer online.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Is that song something made for the trailer? Or is it an actual track? It's a banger

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

LesterGroans posted:

Iirc Taika has said he didn't watch any of the previous Thor movies while prepare to make Thor 3; I do like how this movie is adding more of the mythological aspects into Thor (ie Valkyries riding winged horses, Fenris, and Sutur)

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
drat. Marvel blowing DC out of the water again.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

K. Waste posted:

Here's the thing, though... No he didn't. Gunn's movies looked exactly what you'd expect a fringe MCU film to look like. Even CP could make it look better with a few minutes of photoshop.

I get what you're saying, and I definitely appreciate the examples you provided to reinforce your read, but c'mon. The only reason there is such a term as "a fringe MCU film" is because of Gunn. The most aesthetically experimental MCU movie before GOTG was the original Thor, and that's just because Branagh had the stones to go all-in on his Kirby hand. Without GOTG shaking up what the "house style" could be, we might not have gotten a Dr. Strange. And I definitely doubt that without their success we would have gotten something as visually unique and out there as Ragnarok.

We're not in disagreement that Waititi is operating on a different level here. Hell, like I originally said, I was all-in when he was announced as the director. Where this newfound visual muscle came from, you're guess is as good as mine, but I'm happy to see it happen.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

Iirc Taika has said he didn't watch any of the previous Thor movies while prepare to make Thor 3;

The Cinematic Universe

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

achillesforever6 posted:

Iirc Taika has said he didn't watch any of the previous Thor movies while prepare to make Thor 3

Smart man :smuggo:

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

teagone posted:

Smart man :smuggo:

By the way, thank you for all that you do in these threads. You contribute pretty well.

Also yeah I kind of agree. Let him make his own since there's no particular reason to have it come out of something of the previous Thor films or MCU.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

K. Waste posted:

I can't tell if I'm just drunk or that Thor: Ragnarok trailer actually looks pretty good with solid composition and good use of contrast.

It's certainly drat more visually distinctive than previous Thors.

It leans quite a bit on Kirby's aesthetic, leading to the question: why hasn't Marvel Studios done that to begin with?

achillesforever6 posted:

Iirc Taika has said he didn't watch any of the previous Thor movies while prepare to make Thor 3;

Ha!

waddler
Jan 3, 2008

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Is that song something made for the trailer? Or is it an actual track? It's a banger
Magic Sword - In The Face Of Evil (also found in Hotline Miami 2)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G02wKufX3nw
... at least the first half of the trailer. Not sure about the last half.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

K. Waste posted:

Like, who would have thought that Taika Waititi would make a movie that looks more visually interesting movie than loving Ryan Coogler?

a cock shaped fruit posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G02wKufX3nw

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Gatts posted:

By the way, thank you for all that you do in these threads. You contribute pretty well.

No problem. Love me some nerd poo poo, especially stuff related to DC :) Think Dark_Tzitzimine and I always have a finger on the pulse of DCEU news across the web haha.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Like seriously,

What We Do in the Shadows is visually on point.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Touche.

Schwarzwald posted:

It's certainly drat more visually distinctive than previous Thors.

It leans quite a bit on Kirby's aesthetic, leading to the question: why hasn't Marvel Studios done that to begin with?

It's like what me and Fart City are getting into, mate. See below:

Fart City posted:

I get what you're saying, and I definitely appreciate the examples you provided to reinforce your read, but c'mon. The only reason there is such a term as "a fringe MCU film" is because of Gunn. The most aesthetically experimental MCU movie before GOTG was the original Thor, and that's just because Branagh had the stones to go all-in on his Kirby hand. Without GOTG shaking up what the "house style" could be, we might not have gotten a Dr. Strange. And I definitely doubt that without their success we would have gotten something as visually unique and out there as Ragnarok.

We're not in disagreement that Waititi is operating on a different level here. Hell, like I originally said, I was all-in when he was announced as the director. Where this newfound visual muscle came from, you're guess is as good as mine, but I'm happy to see it happen.

Turns out that Marvel was never the problem. The problem was the lack of imagination on the part of the filmmakers and their production teams. They and their fans can no longer hide behind the excuses of Marvel's "house style" or the superficial content of canon. Waititi is making them all look like posers, precious indie neophytes who came off the like of Creed or Cop Car and figured that loving comic book bullshit was enough.

Waititi - as far as can be discerned from the trailer - is not uncritically enthusiastic about Thor or Hulk or whatever. He's an underdog with something to prove. He's trying to prove that Thor isn't bullshit. And it's working. More than god drat Spider-Man or Black Panther, the second sequel in nobody's favorite Marvel franchise looks like the most nuanced thing they've ever done.

wyoming posted:

Like seriously,

What We Do in the Shadows is visually on point.

It's a fair cop! Make Waititi the Zack Snyder of the MCU! He can do it!

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

This is a fantastic sci-fi control panel. Love that big crazy button.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

Thor 3 looks awesome. Do I finally have to get around to watching the first two?

God, no. I think they're the two worst films in the MCU and I didn't even make it all the way through Dark World.

I'm not even all that geeked on that Thor 3 trailer but feel like I should be. I think I just don't like the character I think is my my problem. Even as a kid I didn't get into him and I haven't liked Hemsworth either. I really like Hulk more than most and I'm still not jacked up to see Ragnarok although I have to admit the visual elements look really good and the insanity of it all could very well be entertaining.

Way more psyched for Black Panther, Punisher and DDs3.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Thor looks better than Justice League. Both look great. I think I just like the Thor trailer's music better.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

So not only is Valkyrie not white, they also gender-swapped Gordon Freeman.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

K. Waste posted:

Waititi is making them all look like posers, precious indie neophytes who came off the like of Creed ...

The gently caress was wrong was wrong with Creed? I thought it was great.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

BiggerBoat posted:

I just don't like the character I think is my my problem.

I love the MCU's take on Thor. He's just increasingly this big, doofy Golden Retreiver in human asgardian form.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Phylodox posted:

I love the MCU's take on Thor. He's just increasingly this big, doofy Golden Retreiver in human form.

Clearly him and Parademon surfing Aquaman need to have a real bro-Aquadad roadtrip ala Brave and the Bold.

Adding that humor to Thor in those shorts is the best thing that was done.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Fart City posted:

I like to believe that the storyboards for Ragnarok were only accessible in their native media: airbrushed on the side of a fleet of vans.

I was going to quibble, but then I remembered that Hulk faces off with Fenrir. That would be a super bitchin' van side panel.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sir Kodiak posted:

This is a fantastic sci-fi control panel. Love that big crazy button.

And not even crazy! Seems like sensible, smart graphic design to clearly indicate to the user what its purpose is: hyperspace jump. Would be at home next to the Rear Window Defrost button or the Cruise Control switch.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Phylodox posted:

I love the MCU's take on Thor. He's just increasingly this big, doofy Golden Retreiver in human asgardian form.

I agree, though I think he's finally going to embrace the whole "I'm the loving God of Thunder" that the MCU has sheepishly avoided all this time. Granted, when they first introduced him, it was the first time they had to deal with the magical elements of comics but now that we have Dr. Strange, Celestials/Ego, and whatnot, Thor can go around saying he's the God of Thunder without winking at the audience every time. I'm hoping his godhood will be center stage in this film because Hela sure as hell (:rimshot:) isn't backing down from claiming her rightful title. He may even use the Odin-force at some point.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Well, Thor was about him learning humility, and The Dark World was about him having doubts about his commitment to Asgard, so it makes sense he wouldn't be going full-on Thunder God in those, but this one is obviously exploring the full ramifications of that.

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth

Fart City posted:

Hey man, I'm in it exclusively for Taika Waititi. What We Do In The Shadows and Hunt For The Wilderpeople are legit.

Same. I have extreme comic book movie fatigue but I will see this movie because of him. I saw the first Thor, but not the second. It doesn't sound like I have to see the second one to catch up.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

SleepCousinDeath posted:

It's also hard to get bored when you're getting slapped in the face with dutch angles constantly.
You'll love Battlefield Earth.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

BiggerBoat posted:

God, no. I think they're the two worst films in the MCU and I didn't even make it all the way through Dark World.
Dark World is one of the few MCU films where the big climactic fight is the highlight of the film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

K. Waste posted:

gently caress it, screencap time:

I'm bothered by the lack of a hard black in these. These don't look great compared to similar shots in Wonder Woman.

• Locked thread