Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
Wonder how it will work with it based in the 90's, before any cool superheros are active.

Means they will likely just turn into reggo people and fight her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's a easy way to get her into Avengers 2.

" Oh I've been in Space since the 90s doing all kinds of important poo poo"

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!
Also that line where Hela asks Thor what he's the god of makes me think she wants to get hit by lightning or something.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hollismason posted:

Captain Cold is basically Michael Keatons character in Spider Man Homecoming except more ruthless.

Also, if Keaton was going after Superman instead of Spider-Man

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Burkion posted:

Also, if Keaton was going after Superman instead of Spider-Man

And is even more confident about it

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Hodgepodge posted:

I think Odin would appreciate getting around the Ragnarock prophecy by having The Hulk fight everything that someone was supposed to die fighting.

Hulk SMASH puny mistletoe!

Hodgepodge posted:

Also that line where Hela asks Thor what he's the god of makes me think she wants to get hit by lightning or something.

Looks more like it's her beating the poo poo out of Thor and calling out divine pecking order. Then later he gets an infinity stone and brings the thunder(actually lightning, but for they always go with the thunder title).

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Captain Cold literally picked one of the few people in the DCU who could, actually, honestly go back in time, gently caress his mom and punch his dad in the dick until he ceases to exist.

And the only thing he has to take him on with is a goddamn freeze ray.

He is a hero and a scholar

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!

Gyges posted:

Hulk SMASH puny mistletoe!

"What If: Baldur the Bright Had the Powers of the Hulk?"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Captain Cold is so aware of the hopelessness of his struggle he developed villain insurance for when they go to prison.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Scyantific posted:

Alright so what did they give up to get Super Skrull back then?

my working theory is that it has to do with the TV shows that Fox is making. Like, Marvel is loosening the reigns on stuff adjacent to the mutant world in exchange for use of Super Skull.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

DC Murderverse posted:

my working theory is that it has to do with the TV shows that Fox is making. Like, Marvel is loosening the reigns on stuff adjacent to the mutant world in exchange for use of Super Skull.

I'm assuming you're talking about Gifted? I grew up in the early 90's where X-Men was inescapable, and it was an indelible part of my childhood, but it's like, I'm fine with this? Like X-Men is so inherently bloated and convoluted that it almost feels like it works better on its own. Don't get me wrong; I'd love to see Wolverine get Fastball Special'd by the Hulk, or Cyclops and Captain America go nose-to-nose, but if the X-Men never came to the MCU... I dunno. I think I'd be okay with it.

That being said: I want nothing more than to see Doctor Doom tangle with the Avengers. I know that the dude behind Legion is working on something with Doom, but if Marvel is moving pieces to get ahold of Fantastic Four-adjacent properties just to get Doom back, holy butts.

Throw Mads Mikkelson under that mask, and let's really make Phase Four something to talk about.

EDIT: And I know he was the baddie in Dr. Strange. Literally don't care. He's just that perfect for the role.

Tart Kitty fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jul 23, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
My theory is that someone at Fox forgot to properly hyphenate Super-Skrull on a key document and they just noticed now.

Hilariously Super-Skrull was actually in Marvel vs. Capcom 3, but for the upcoming Marvel vs. Capcom game Disney dropped the hammer and it can only have Marvel characters that are also potentially going to be in the MCU and no X-Men/anything so fan favorites of Capcom's Marvel games like Magneto and Dr. Doom are gone.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
So Clancy Brown is voicing Sutur in Thor 3 so I have no idea who Sam Neill is playing, I'm going to guess a hobo hanging out with Odin on Earth at this point

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

So Clancy Brown is voicing Sutur in Thor 3 so I have no idea who Sam Neill is playing, I'm going to guess a hobo hanging out with Odin on Earth at this point

The secrecy is obviously because he's playing Dr. Sam Neil.

Oh poo poo wait, he's playing Adam Warlock.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Neo Rasa posted:

Oh poo poo wait, he's playing Adam Warlock.

via Event Horizon, I hope

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

My theory is that someone at Fox forgot to properly hyphenate Super-Skrull on a key document and they just noticed now.

Hilariously Super-Skrull was actually in Marvel vs. Capcom 3, but for the upcoming Marvel vs. Capcom game Disney dropped the hammer and it can only have Marvel characters that are also potentially going to be in the MCU and no X-Men/anything so fan favorites of Capcom's Marvel games like Magneto and Dr. Doom are gone.

and capcom has to play damage control by going 'well all you really liked about the x-men characters were how they controlled and new characters will play like them' and other terrible excuses cause they can't just pin the incredibly obvious blame on modern marvel being way more restrictive on what they can do with their brand

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

achillesforever6 posted:

Beta Ray Bill.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Oh and Leonard Snart invented his freeze gun with no background in well any kind of science because he was pissed off at the Flash. Like think about that this guy was just a run of the mill street criminal who got caught by the Flash then decided to just gently caress him up and invented a freeze gun by reading about some poo poo in a Popular Science magazine.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAchA32z2zM

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

If my guess is right this might literally happen since Magus is set to appear in Infinity War. Magus is an evil version of Adam Warlock who is also a religious zealot (of the "Universal Church of Truth" IIRC) from a future lovely dimension.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Thor 3 looks good, but at least partially because it's depicting an interesting thing, rather than depicting it interestingly. It'll end up like Doctor Strange, where an infinite hallway constantly shifting in defiance of reality or causality was just used for a completely linear chase sequence. We'll get a bunch of fantastic costumes, sets and creatures shot from a medium distance with low contrast, just like all the other films. Also, nice to see 'in control Hulk' smashing yet more of his allies through things.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jul 23, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Hollismason posted:

Oh and Leonard Snart invented his freeze gun with no background in well any kind of science because he was pissed off at the Flash. Like think about that this guy was just a run of the mill street criminal who got caught by the Flash then decided to just gently caress him up and invented a freeze gun by reading about some poo poo in a Popular Science magazine.

Wonder if he cribbed Victor Fries' notes.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I've been out of the loop most of the day, but that Ragnarok trailer looked really good to me. Thor 1 was fantastic and The Dark World was bad, but Ragnarok looks, at least so far, like the best of the three. Thor, Valkyrie, and Hela all have extremely good looks going on. Justice League looks boring still, but that's to be expected. Flash seems like he will be the highlight of the movie though, I could possibly be convinced to watch his solo film.

Have they said anything about releasing the Infinity War trailer? I'm really curious to see anything from the movie.

Also I saw Valerian today. The visuals were worth the price of admission alone, and the weirdness of the movie was a big draw for me. I didn't really care for Valerian but Laureline was okay. I feel like I should see it again at some point because I have a toothache and it made it hard to focus on the movie. Not as good as The Fifth Element, but few movies are.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Inescapable Duck posted:

Wonder if he cribbed Victor Fries' notes.

When it comes to inventiveness he gets a Zero.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

K. Waste posted:

These are still good shots, though. The lighting isn't even particularly diffused. Indeed, the use of contrast is pronounced, providing a sense of texture and depth.

Dude you're high. Those range from mediocre to crappy

Snowman_McK posted:

Thor 3 looks good, but at least partially because it's depicting an interesting thing, rather than depicting it interestingly. It'll end up like Doctor Strange, where an infinite hallway constantly shifting in defiance of reality or causality was just used for a completely linear chase sequence. We'll get a bunch of fantastic costumes, sets and creatures shot from a medium distance with low contrast, just like all the other films. Also, nice to see 'in control Hulk' smashing yet more of his allies through things.

P much. Goldblum and Blanchett at least look like they get to exhibit some charisma.

Justice League looks like Sucker Punch 2 which kicks rear end

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Hollismason posted:

Actually he stole the gun but afterwards he spent months studying it until he was able to assamble it with his eyes closed and to build a new one from scratch.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Rumor is that Sam Neill is gonna be Utau the Watcher.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Mr President posted:

Marvel panel is live

Captain Marvel takes place in the 90s, she fights the skrulls and super skrull, she fights the kree too. nick fury has TWO eyes
Ant man: Laurence Fishbourne is Goliath and Michelle Phiffer is playing the wasp!

Where the gently caress has she been for the last ten years the world has been going crazy?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Charlz Guybon posted:

Where the gently caress has she been for the last ten years the world has been going crazy?

Space.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Oh yeah, Suicide Squad was trying to ape Marvel because it used pop songs like Guardian of the Galaxy, which was the first film to ever use pop songs or have quirky characters.

It wasn't made with that intention but when the marketing team cut that second trailer, which was very different from the first one in tone, they were also hired to deliver an edit of the movie that was more in that spirit (and supposedly Ayer had to reshoot more scenes that fit it, despite what he claimed at the time).

In the end you get a movie that was rushed to start with and then changed part way through and just comes off looking really weak.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I can't believe I'm hype for a Thor movie. The last two where utter garbage,and I really shouldn't get my hopes up, but man, that trailer was soooo good! Hemsworth still remains the weakest link though, he just seems so dull and uncharismatic, but everything else looks amazing.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

By the way, something I just learned today is that Supermans emblem in BvS had a quote from Joseph Campbell, "Where we had thought to be alone, we shall be with all the world.", written on it in Kryptonian.

The full quote is
"Furthermore, we have not even to risk the adventure alone; for the heroes of all time have gone before us; the labyrinth is thoroughly known; we have only to follow the thread of the hero-path. And where we had thought to find an abomination, we shall find a god; where we had thought to slay another, we shall slay ourselves; where we had thought to travel outward, we shall come to the center of our own existence; and where we had thought to be alone, we shall be with all the world."

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Infinity War leaksies
https://streamable.com/zeuhc

Yesterday was A Good Day for trailers.

e: more regular version now.

Electromax fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jul 23, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Because Alfred seems to know him I had a brief thought it was Nightwing. This that wouldn't make a glass of water shake

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Because Alfred seems to know him I had a brief thought it was Nightwing. This that wouldn't make a glass of water shake

If there's one booty who can make the world shake...

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Electromax posted:

Infinity War tilted leaksies
https://streamable.com/a6l52

Yesterday was A Good Day for trailers.

Well then.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
comin' atcha!!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Electromax posted:

comin' atcha!!

You missed one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY6jua3i3F8

Edit:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jul 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

DeimosRising posted:

Dude you're high.

I wish, but... What's occurring is actually the opposite of what Snowman is describing. The content of the imagery is boring, because it's decadent fantasy bullshit. But the lighting is not "diffused," it is not soft or evenly dispersed over the entire image. There are obviously certain sources which are providing a lot of light, but this is motivated by the setting, which is either Asgard (the golden space city) or Planet X (the land of misfit toys, where everything is just an excuse for decadence and distraction). For instance, this shot of Goldblum and his guards

The primary source of light is coming directly from screen right, which creates subtle but nonetheless distinct shadows that are themselves complemented by the decadent absurdism of the costume design. If there's a primary source of any 'diffusion,' it's the backlighting from the huge window overlooking the sky and cityscape - but even hear we get a very overt balance between the primary light source screen-right and the shadows as they play across the sky. The symmetrical designs and curvature in the window itself further 'break up' the image, allowing the light to be refracted in interesting ways that aren't necessarily, strictly 'logical' or 'motivated,' because the characters themselves are decadent man-children. Goldblum isn't even composed in the center of this framework. His costume, throne, his guards, and even his loving hair all match the pattern in the window, but they are all framed ever so slightly off from this pattern. The point is that the characters are insanely particular, but also non-committal. Goldblum is a fashion perfectionist, but also a total goon who projects an unquenchable desire to be liked, not merely 'respected' or 'feared.'

The most diffused lighting among these images comes with this two-shot of Thor and Loki.

But even here we can see how the apparent softness of the image has a kind of motivation - and we continue to see a very deliberate complement between the ostensibly absurd and arbitrary design of the environment, and the more defined characters. Whereas the circuits that guide Loki's movements extend downwards, following his diminutive and slouching composure, the ones around Thor extend upwards and complement his more dominant posture and broader physique. As with the throne room shot, the interplay between the set design and composition creates an asymmetrical tension, betraying immediately that Thor and Loki are not actually in any danger. They authentically enjoy the decadent prison to which they've been taken. It's nonsense, but it's well-composed nonsense.

With the first of these two shots, we can see how un-apt the charge of 'diffusion' is. The lighting on this mook is not diffused. He's primarily being lit from the front, obviously, but in opposition to the throne room scene or the 'softer' two shot of Loki and Thor, the production design and lighting of the environment around him are "thinner," the simple greenish-blue vertical lines with even thinner lights (still composed just off-center, complementing his clear state of agitation as he proudly displays a pair of very conventional and not at all sci-fi looking guns, which is a great gag in and of itself) give expression to the character's 'narrower' motivations and objectives. In accordance with this, he is not a 'soft' figure, like the heroes Loki/Thor, or the impotent man-child Goldblum. Every aspect of him is in critical focus, from the sheen of sweat on his brow, to the contours of his head tattoos, to the vein popping from his head, right down to the subtle imperfections in his chest plate armor. His texture and distinction are immediately evident.

In the second shot, more off-center composition, more lighting from screen-right with subtle shadows playing across the oblong and broken shapes scattered in the environment. But the same oblong and broken shapes that buttress Hulk's enormous presence and squeeze the rigid Thor into the very center of the pathway's track towards the horizon, also gracefully accept Thompson and Hiddleston's flowing hair and billowing capes. It's a very beguiling shot that doesn't just portray the characters as a 'team,' or whatever. What we get is the submission of the apparently arbitrary environment to the particular eccentricities of the characters, and thus a very succinct clarification of why/how they will work together. It's a spectrum: We go from the rigid and domineering Hulk to the wispy Loki, virtually cradled between the curves and the broken environment. Even the bodies in the frame are blocked to complement this.

This is just a good shot. Very similar to the one before of Hulk et al. on the pathway. There's a lot of compositional elements at work here, and a lot of them are either brightly colored or create a bright light source, but there is nonetheless a very smooth gradient from left-to-right, the arc of the crashed spaceship matching the blocking of the bodies around Thompson. Hell, we even finally get some centered composition here, as opposed to off-center. I wonder what this could be communicating about Thompson's character relative to all the male characters and how they've been composed.

Again, the lighting here is not diffused. We can infer that there's something at work in the environment which is creating certain spaces of spotlight relative to spaces of shadow.

I'm basically just repeating myself at this point, but, again, this is not diffused lighting. It's not Snyder-contrast, certainly, but it's also not soft or even dispersed. The texture and distinction of elements within the composition are vivid.

• Locked thread