Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Kanfy posted:

In case someone likes their games non-steamy, you can get the Shadowrun trio for roughly :10bux: from Gog.com right now.

I dont know posted:

If anyone is fence sitting, that's an insanely good value for some of the best RPG's (particularly the sequels) of the last few years.

What is different about the games on Steam like Boston Lockdown and Infested? I have all three of the above rpgs on GOG, but these seem to be a different type of game that I can't quite put my finger on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Anything called Shadowrun Chronicles is made by another developer, that's probably the main difference.

from what I've heard, the Chronicles series is bad.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Chronicles is garbage, but the first Harebrained SR game (this one) is good and the next two (Dragonfall and Hong Kong) are great.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Part 19 - Puppets and Puppeteers

Upon arriving in the basement we quickly learn why the alarm brought in so few guards, they seem to be busy with the violent and abused mental patients presumably released by Silas. In fact this entire section will pretty much be one long gauntlet of fighting off guards and crazies.

That being said neither of the aforementioned groups is especially well armed or armored, nor do they possess any magic. The guards are the same 30 HP weaklings armed with handguns as on the main floor.

The violent patients have more varied weaponry, but "more varied" doesn't equal "better" as demonstrated by this guy bonking Savoy on the head with a crowbar, slightly messing up his hairdo.

A grave offense and one Marchetti repays by one-two punching various bodily fluids out of him.

As we start heading deeper, Holmes continues crossing off the squares on the cliché villain bingo by giving us a monologue via the intercom.

A little ways into the main hallway, more maniacs attempt to ambush our drones from a small maintenance room. One of them takes a swing at Pascal, but somehow manages to miss the stationary drone.

Just like Hello World, Pascal is equipped with a mortar which hits all hostile targets directly adjacent to each other. The Robo-doc teaches the pair an important lesson in positioning and then immediately blows them up to make sure they don't get to tell anyone else about it.

Again a little further in, another trio of inmates are loitering in one of the larger patient rooms. There's also a door on the opposite side of the hallway, but it's locked and thus bound to be where we need to go.

Some of the unstable patients carry firearms, making them a little more threatening than the ones swinging pieces of wood or metal. We're still not exactly talking LMGs here though.

There are also some green sparks floating around what looks like a hazardous waste container nearby, indicating a spirit summoning point.

And speaking of hazardous waste, our hazardous drone promptly wastes the armed woman, no signs of remorse about gunning down the mentally damaged visible on its cold sensors. Maybe Amazon's feeling something but she's too far to check.

Savoy on the other hand is all about bathing in their blood, putting into question who the crazy one really is here.

Meanwhile Shannon has reached the scene and promptly uses the summoning spot to conjure up a spirit.

And by "spirit" I mean this godforsaken abomination bearing the name "Apocalypse". Man, I remember when we used to summon cute water and earth spirits, these days it's just one affront to nature after another.

Like Pestilence it can spit acid and reduce AP with its normal attacks, it's own trick being the ability to exhume a disease cloud in a large radius around it.

The patients' lack of armor makes them pretty vulnerable to critical hits, making Amazon's drones even deadlier than usual. With the room cleared of anything breathing, we can continue down the hallway unmolested.

After turning a corner Pascal comes face-to-roboface with a masked fellow who has taken the Shotgun Surgeon perk from Fallout to its logical extreme.

Alas he forgot to tag Guns so he whiffs a shot after getting a mortar in the noggin, fleeing to the room behind him afterwards.

Pascal chases after him while the rest of the group are still catching up, spotting another patient patiently hiding behind the corner. Whose side is this surgeon guy on anyway?

Pascal isn't here to question such things, Pascal is here to support and heal turn people into golf ball-sized chunks, apparently.

With the last immediate threat in the area eliminated, the team gets a chance to catch their breaths for a bit.

Which turns out to be a bad idea in this particular room. Explains why the occupant of the place was wearing a mask.

Imagine if this key hadn't happened to be here, we might've been stuck forever!

Examining the cart a second time also yields us another unlabeled trivid disc. We can only pray these aren't some hosed up snuff tapes.

As we backtrack to the locked door from earlier, Mengele Jr. here continues his rambling.

I could remake you as well. What wonderfully twisted thoughts must churn in a mind such as yours. But I'm more inclined to use you for parts.

There's a big guy with a big gun chilling in a padded room here. If he hadn't gone mad yet, a walking nightmare like Apocalypse suddenly popping up in the doorway probably would've done the job.

Despite his size he's not much of a threat with that kind of damage output, though of course that could've just as well been a 24 damage crit with some bad luck. The damage system and armor changes in Dragonfall and Hong Kong stabilize damage numbers a lot, but here in Returns it's anybody's guess whether a hit will blow someone's brains out or lightly tickle their nose.

His 50 HP take a bit to whittle down but Apocalypse and Marchetti get the job done together.

The door to the northeast leads to the last room of this area, and in here we have one last security guard and a machete-wielding doctor. I'm still not sure what the deal with these violent medical professionals is, but presumably they're in cahoots with the Ripper and are defending him for some reason.

This room also has the first Heavy ley line we've been able to make use of, increasing the damage and accuracy of all of Verbena's spells in addition to reducing their cooldown by 1 for as long as she's standing on it. A real nice but also rare treat.

In any case, these two aren't any tougher than the dozen other chumps we've already killed here. Machetes might be a real threat in horror movies but here they're just a poor life decision.

Before we move on, there is one thing of interest in this room - namely a trivid player which conveniently holds a collection of Silas' personal diaries.

Some of them are missing, but we did pick up #1 and #3 on the way here so might as well start from the top.

In real life, bunraku refers to a form of traditional Japanese puppet theatre. In Shadowrun the term is used for so-called "meatpuppets", prostitutes and sex slaves slotted with a variant form of BTL known as a personafix chip which suppresses their normal personality and replaces it with one that suits the customer's needs. Basically sex robots except they're actual people whose bodies are being controlled by a program.

These are often used by specialized bunraku parlors which provide meatpuppets for pretty much any fetish one can come up with, with many of the "workers" further modified with cosmetic surgery to make them look like celebrities and what have you. Whether these people are willing participants or some poor bastards who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time one night is largely a secondary concern.

If one were to run a contest to find the most messed up Shadowrun concept, bunraku would be a pretty solid contender.

So yeah, in case Silas being a serial killer didn't make him evil enough yet, it turns out he's also been modifying and selling the mentally damaged as mindless sex slaves to rich customers.

Incidentally, the paydata we grabbed during our Matrix run on the main floor was a complete list of those customers.

Behind this door is where our chase will finally come to its end, hopefully. We get 4 Karma for getting this far.

But wait! That means...

Having reached 120 total Karma, Amazon has her base AP permanently upgraded from 2 to 3. That's right, she has finally gained the ability to actually move and do things in combat! :toot: For 1 AP's worth anyway.

Feeling more active than ever, we head through the door.

Of course he has an evil lair as well. There are some very morally ambiguous characters in these games. Silas Forsberg is not one of them.

How much longer you going to hide, doc?

Hide? Nothing of the sort. I'm simply in observation. And what I have next in store should prove most illuminating.

(I like Shoot Straight but by now I'm pretty ready to hear some other combat theme for a change)

This is it, the very final confrontation ever for certain! We're up against a mage, a surgeon with a baseball bat ( :geno: ) and Pitezel, the giant cybered-up troll who apparently likes donuts.

One ugly-rear end SOB, Pitezel is by far the toughest enemy in the game thus far, sporting a rather absurd 100 HP and packing a serious punch. Literally as punching is his only method of attack, so the good news is that he has no ways of dealing damage from range.

He apparently also has a chance to go berserk similarly to spirits going rogue, but I haven't seen it myself.

I don't know what oil Amazon used on Pascal but the little bot has been on absolute fire today. Completely disregarding the mortar's poor accuracy at range and with a little help from Crow, the drone rains hell on the two henchmen accurately and effectively, taking them both out of the fight before they get single a turn. Guess that's one way to support the team.

As Pitezel gets closer, Shannon summons our old zombie bird friend Pestilence using a pool of blood on the floor. You know, shaman things.

The team focus-fires the monstrous troll, but it's not nearly enough to actually kill him.

Make no mistake, this guy can beat the absolute daylights out of anyone he gets his giant metallic hands on. If this had been Amazon instead of her drone she'd now be nothing but a messy pile on the floor.

Also I tried to land Blindness on him with Verbena like three times but he somehow always managed to be out of her LOS due to the pillars in the room. I'm bad at video games.

In what is quite possibly the dumbest move the man could've made, Silas himself runs into the battlefield after Pitezel has taken sufficient damage. Despite his scrawny appearance he does have a very impressive 70 HP as well, but...

...unfortunately for him, Pestilence's Confusion spell sticks so all he gets to do is flail around like an idiot. Sadly the spell description turns out to be false advertising and we don't get to control him ourselves, probably due to UI limitations.

I've never felt so Weak! in my life as trying to bring this jerk down. Considering what a critfest this has been up until now, Pitezel really highlights how big of a difference high Body and armor can make.

But no matter how resilient he is, at the end of the day it's still a 1v7 situation and in what is probably the coolest action shot one could feasibly hope for with these graphics, Savoy finally fells the giant with his axe just like in his favorite fantasy novels.

To add insult to injury, Pestilence (which makes an absolutely horrifying noise every time it attacks by the way) knocks the hell out of Silas' AP leaving him confused AND stunned.

In the end, the Emerald City Ripper's bloody tale is brought to its conclusion by the absolute wimpiest-looking punch the world has ever seen.

This is a place of broken things... I remake them... She... she asked me to remake her...

Could it possibly be that there is some greater evil at work here and Silas turns out to be merely an insignificant pawn?

Good riddance. We get delicious 8 Karma as our reward for ending this menace.

Here's the workbench the elf was looking at before croaking, so it's bound to be important.

I admit it took me a few seconds to realize "pocsec" referred to a pocket secretary. Let's take a closer look at the workspace first.

Charming. What about that leather-bound journal?

The Watts name comes up once again. Melinda must be Sam and Jessica's mother, but what would Silas do with a copy of the disinterment order? Was he planning on getting something from her corpse as well?

Maybe the pocket secretary can shed light on this.

Not much we didn't know already here, though I guess it confirms he was specifically aiming for transplanted organs. While we're here we also pocket 4,500 nuyen from his account. Not like he has use for it now.

The rolled sheet of paper is the last remaining thing of interest here.

Now hold on, is there some Frankenstein's ladymonster made by this guy traipsing around somewhere? Or is it just some mad plan that never came to fruition? It's definitely looking like we're still missing some major pieces of this puzzle.

But first things first, we need to get out of this place. We head through the doorway Silas ran in from earlier.

Hello, are we interrupting something?

Oh, right, the bunraku.

Well, hello there. Did you come to play?

Are you okay? How long have you been here?

Of course we're okay. We're ready for a little party. You want to have a little play party with me, BUYER NAME?

Well that was extremely uncomfortable all around.

Ah, but what do we have here?

Maybe we can fix things with this.

For some reason we can only use the chip on the guy as we can't interact with the woman at all.

The hero saves the day once again!

Sweet Jesus. What did he do? What am I?

Well uh that's

We... we're just going to go now good luck bye

There's a convenient back door located past a few empty cells in the adjacent room. Good thing Silas didn't think to use this instead of charging to his death like a complete moron.

We have removed two vile creatures from this world, and so ended a growing shadow they cast upon the city. Our paths crossed and joined, and we did this thing together. But now here our paths must divide.

You saw what I saw. This isn't over yet.

I kinda wish there was a "yeah it's been fun now I'm off to get paid and get the hell out of this town" -option, but unfortunately all the dialogue choices here are variations of "still need to see this through".

No, it won't be over for some time to come.

There is still more work to be done, for both of us. But what must be done differs, for each of us. I came here to find justice for my brother, and that has been done. His spirit can now find rest. But there are other victims of the Ripper, both alive and dead, who still struggle to be at peace. Many of them are here in this place, filling the halls with their torment. I cannot leave them behind.

I do appreciate that there's some closure about the whole "facility filled with tortured mental patients" thing. Of course if you didn't bring Shannon then you just end up leaving them to their fate without a second thought like the stone-cold shadowrunner you are.

I suppose I can respect that.

Thank you. Thank you for everything. Because of you, my brother's killer has met swift justice. And justice of the only sort such a man as Holmes deserved. Death.

You're good people Shannon, not something we have in abundance around here.

And what about Lone Star? They can't be far behind.

Good luck to you, Amazon. I hope you can find the same justice for your friend that I found for my brother.

I appreciate that. And good luck to you.

Up to this point we've had an obvious goal to aim for which was dealing with the Ripper, but what now?

For the time being let's head back to the Union, rest for a bit and see if we can put some of these pieces together.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Dec 6, 2017

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Kanfy posted:

And by "spirit" I mean this godforsaken abomination bearing the name "Apocalypse". Man, I remember when we used to summon cute water and earth spirits, these days it's just one affront to nature after another.

Well, I have heard that the way spirit summoning works, at least as far as this game is concerned, then what is summoned is more based upon the area of the summoning, rather than the person summoning their actual spirit (which always kinda helps them in the background, provided the shaman is doing things to keep that spirit happy). And this place... does not strike me as being capable of attracting any spirits that are cute.

Speaking of which... wow, I had forgotten how completely, unambiguously evil the bad guys get in this game, which kinda murders the whole dichotomy of ambiguity this setting is kinda supposed to be about doesn't it? Don't get me wrong, there's pure evil in the other games too, but it seems more... incidental, I guess? to the story, dancing on the fringes instead of plopping you down with an unabashed monster and his lair of horrors; a good villain should be at least a little bit relatable, and how on earth is Silas/Holmes relatable to anything or anybody, after you find out what he's up to? Come to that, how is Shannon not a pure hero as portrayed; about the only bad thing she did was assist us in breaking and entering in private property, and that's just, pfft, another night for a runner. Thankfully, both DF and HK are much better about moral ambiguity, about setting you in a giant morass of a world where everyone has their own agenda, and the glimmers of goodness and hope you see actually feel like surprises and things worth protecting, instead of par for the course.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Shannon is doing a real good thing. Since the spirit world is a real thing in Shadowrun, all those people in pain and suffering create one heck of a nasty astral area, and attract all sorts of very unwelcome things.

It's very ham-fisted how "evil" our villain is here, I'm glad future games took a little more nuance to how they wrote. That, and the fact that you have to "kill the crazies" really bothers me, considering that they aren't in control of their actions.

Edit: ^ Everything the chummer above me said as well

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
Oh, there's plenty of people who are hopelessly loving evil in the setting.The shades of grey are exactly how many hopelessly evil people you're willing to use to try to accomplish your goals, and the odds are good that your friendly local Mr. Johnson looks at you about the same way you look at someone like Holmes.

Welcome to late-stage capitalism cyberpunk, baby! How you gonna get around in this sleazy bedroom town if you don't put yourself up for sale?

Of course, clearly, Holmes was just a crazy person operating on his own, and it is a safe assumption there is no deeper conspiracy behind his murder we have brushed up against. Just sell all that weird poo poo we found in his office to the highest bidder on Shadownet and call it a day, is what I say.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Ze Pollack posted:

Oh, there's plenty of people who are hopelessly loving evil in the setting.The shades of grey are exactly how many hopelessly evil people you're willing to use to try to accomplish your goals, and the odds are good that your friendly local Mr. Johnson looks at you about the same way you look at someone like Holmes.

Yeah, the shades of grey in Noir/Cyberpunk don't come from a lack of monstrous people, it comes from the way the narrative forces otherwise good or neutral people to rub elbows with them.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

To me base Returns is a lot like the original Neverwinter Nights 2 campaign, it certainly has its highlights but mostly plays things pretty safe and clear-cut, ticking all or at least most of the boxes you'd expect from a game that takes place in its given setting. You can see the potential for something deeper, but for the most part it sails in very well-charted waters. Even the location is amongst the safest and most familiar there is.

In both cases an expansion comes along in which the developers clearly have more freedom to spread their wings and try something different, resulting in a more interesting story that places far greater focus on exploring its characters and their motivations (not to mention the consequences of their actions), with the setting itself providing the backdrop for them rather than taking the center stage.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 21, 2017

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
If i remember right, the whole nasty "bunraku sex slaves" concept is from one of William Gibson's cyberpunk stories.
Molly Millions, the female street samurai from the Neuromancer trilogy, was in one such bunraku brothel to pay for her expensive cyberware implants. Things go as horrible as you might expect.

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 21, 2017

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Is there an emote for a deeply begrudging golf clap?

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011

But how can he eat the eggs when he, himself, is an egg?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Actually I wonder if those video disks are from the guy the elf wound up replacing, and those bunraku blanks have just been... sitting there while all this madness went on?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Glazius posted:

Actually I wonder if those video disks are from the guy the elf wound up replacing, and those bunraku blanks have just been... sitting there while all this madness went on?

but what would they eat?

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

AriadneThread posted:

but what would they eat?

Every corpse is a buffet.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

I don't think anything's pointing at the real Holmes being a shady character, plus the description about the bunraku man specifically mentions he was operated on recently:

On an unrelated note

R.I.P. Amazon

???? - 2054

"I don't need 4 points in Body, I've got drones!"

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Kanfy posted:

On an unrelated note

R.I.P. Amazon

???? - 2054

"I don't need 4 points in Body, I've got drones!"

Alas, you can't sit in a van a few miles away and operate your murderdrones from there - you still have to get in range of the things that make you get dead as a rigger in these games.

Points in Body. They do a body good.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Funnily enough, in tabletop a good rigger absolutely can sit in the van just off site and run their assortment of drones from there. They can even have a teammate plug into the on site intranet to bypass some of the security, and all they have to worry about is jamming, which is not hard to do.

But that would be boring gameplay.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Kanfy posted:

I don't think anything's pointing at the real Holmes being a shady character, plus the description about the bunraku man specifically mentions he was operated on recently:

Ah, fair enough. I just found it a little weird people were thinking they knew exactly who'd made the trid: that guy who stole another guy's face.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

wiegieman posted:

Funnily enough, in tabletop a good rigger absolutely can sit in the van just off site and run their assortment of drones from there.

Until someone manages to trace the signal.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

Until someone manages to trace the signal.
At which point a troll can simply flip the van upside down, tear off the door and punch the rigger's face out through the back of his head.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
LMG drones are super cheap - put a couple on van protection detail.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Gather around friends, for I have another tale to tell, this one going by the name "The Deep End" by Jason M. Hardy. It is a tale about a certain dwarven coroner, and as with the previous short story I've edited some names to reflect the ones used in the game and divided it into a few parts for the sake of easier readability.

I'll also mention that despite them taking place before the events of the game all these stories are technically meant to be read after you've finished it, but dumping them there wouldn't really work in an LP. Nothing here should spoil anything we haven't found out yet or contain anything that'll ever come up in the game itself as a plot point later on. Some story content was also adjusted after these were written, so discrepancies may exist.

Shadowrun Returns Anthology posted:

The Deep End, Part 1

“Shecky Green.”

That got ‘em hunting. You could find anything from after the first Crash without a problem, but looking up garbage from before the Crash is more hit-or-miss. Looking up stuff from the previous century is even worse, and looking up stuff from before the Internet existed? You never know how that’s going to go. So they all looked, and eventually they agreed that yeah, the resemblance was there, especially when Green was smiling. The broad mouth and wide nose were the key attributes. Green didn’t have the gently pointed ears of a dwarf, and he didn’t have my bald head, but otherwise the resemblance was there.

Now in truth, I would have gone with Joe E. Brown instead, because of the mouth. I’m not a vain person. I know what I look like. I know my mouth is freakishly large, just like Brown’s. And I know I’m not exactly matinee idol material, just like him. But I’m getting away from the point. Claymore had said he thought I looked like Shecky Green, so that’s what people went with. A few nights after he made the remark, when I walked into the Seamstresses Union, I was greeted by makeshift paper masks that looked like Shecky Green on every single face in the place. All these broad smiles looking back at me, vacant eyed and expecting. Then they all laughed.

So I laughed back. Of course I laughed! I had to appreciate the effort, didn’t I? And when a bunch of people go out of their way to welcome you, what are you supposed to do, feel embarrassed? Feel bad? Of course not! They were waiting for me, so I didn’t want to disappoint them. I dropped on a stool near the bar and caught the drink that was already sliding toward me.

There are reasons I’m here most nights.

“What’d the cat drag in today, doc?” Zakenman asked as I settled in. His long, thin torso hovered over the bar like a taut bow.

I was happy to have a good one for them. “Okay, hook your ears to this one. We had a body come in at about six in the morning, an ork, looked like he was killed overnight, right? And he was in a couple of pieces, the head and the rest of him. So I started making my notes, doing the preliminary eyeballing, when not half an hour later a second body comes in. Another ork, another overnight death, and another decapitated head. So I shrugged and said all right, someone out there wants to make sure the people they’re killing are well and truly dead. Good on them for being thorough.

“Once the preliminary work’s done, I get to examining the wound. I mean, yeah, I’m pretty sure cause of death is going to be cranial separation and all, but still, gotta check everything, make sure there wasn’t some other wound that hit before the head came off, that sort of thing. I start doing some measurements, and it hits me pretty quick—the head of the first ork doesn’t fit. It’s too small. The neck of the head’s a good two centimeters narrower than the neck of the body. This head doesn’t belong to the body!

“I figure I need to roast Lone Star about being sloppy with their body parts, but then a thought strikes me. I take a look at the other body. Sure enough, the neck of the second head’s too big for the body. But if would fit perfectly with the first body. I run a few quick tests, and I’ve got confirmation. The second head indeed belongs to the first body.”

My drink had been ignored for too long by this point, so I decided to pay it some attention. I heard how quiet it was when I sipped. They’d been waiting for me to arrive so they could pull their little joke, so I’d had an audience full of anticipation before I’d started. Zakenman had his hollow gaze fixed on me in that disconcerting way of his, Glint was pushing her way into a spot at the bar about three meters away from me, and Claymore was noticeably less twitchy than usual as he focused on the story. Even Hatchetman, off in his corner, was paying attention, even if it was only to find something he could make fun of.

Sip swallowed, I continued the story.

“I called up the officer who brought the second one in, guy named Slake Crabbage. I started yelling as soon as he picked up the call. ‘What the hell is wrong with you?’ I said. ‘Don’t you idiots know how to keep evidence safe? How the hell do you get any crimes solved if you can’t even keep the right heads with the right bodies?

“He wasn’t happy that I was yelling at him, of course, and he was a little confused too. He made me slow down and explain what I was talking about. Once he understood, he told me he hadn’t mixed anything up. The head he’d sent in was the one he’d found. He even sent me a picture of where the body was found, and sure enough, there was the wrong head, laying on a burned-out foundation next to the thinner body.

“I sent him what I’d seen. My head unit had recorded the whole thing, of course, from the moment the body had rolled in, so he saw what I saw, right down to the measurements and the tests. And he was stumped.

“ ‘Listen, Dresden, that first body wasn’t found in my beat. It was a good ten kilometers away, for poo poo’s sake! I don’t know when the mix-up happened, but it wasn’t on our end. Someone switched the heads before we found them.’

“So that’s the case of the day. Two bodies, two heads, more than ten kilometers from each other. And someone switched them.”

“Gotta be someone yanking you around,” Claymore said. His legs swung freely, since they didn’t come anywhere close to his barstool’s footrest. “Some sort of sick, awesome practical joke. Someone found the heads, that’s what they did, then switched them on you.”

“Sure, Clay,” I said. “Who would find the two bodies so far from each other? And then go to the trouble to travel back and forth? You gotta cross at least three gang’s territories to get from me spot to the other. Who would do that?”

“The Ancients, that’s who,” Zankenman said in that low voice of his that likely set off all seismographs within twenty kilometers. “They would think that sort of thing is funny. They can’t tell one ork from another anyway, so they would be amused to switch the heads around.”

Glint hadn’t found a seat, which was good, because if she had she probably would have jumped up from it. She’s just over a meter and a half, but when she bounces like she does on her toes, she seems a lot taller.

“This wasn’t a joke,” she said, waving her hands emphatically. “This was a message.

“A very confusing one,” Zankenman said.

Glint whirled on him, green eyes flashing. “Confusing to you,” she said. “But that’s because it wasn’t meant for you.”

Hatchetman chose this time to enter the conversation. He has two ways of speaking—one is a mocking drawl, the other is an amped-up, hyper shout. The first one may be annoying sometimes, but you take it, because if you hear the second one, you know that poo poo’s about to get real awfully soon. “So tell us, girl. What kind of message would someone send by switching heads around?”

“I don’t know. It’s got to be… something about interchangeability. Like maybe one’s a new guy, fresh recruit to a gang, and the other is one of their top hitters, and whoever got them is saying ‘hey, both of these guys are the same to us. Your best is no better than your worst, as far as we’re concerned.’”

Hatchetman cocked his head. “Actually, that’s not bad.” Catching the bartender’s gaze, he jerked his head toward Glint. “Her next one’s on me.”

That was nice of Hatchetman and all, but as soon as he did it I wished that he hadn’t. Glint got even bouncier, even more excited as soon as he said that, and that meant she was on me in a second.

“You heard that, right? It was a good theory. He said it was a good theory.”

“Yeah, Glint, yeah, I heard it.”

She leaned toward me, chin down, which gave her long nose a little foreshortening, which didn’t hurt. Her broad forehead tapered to a tiny chin, and her short black hair was spiked in ways that only come from sleep. She was dressed in fatigues and an armored vest that had been patched so often I wouldn’t place any faith in its bullet-stopping abilities.

“So, let’s go. Let’s find out what’s going on. We figure out what gang these guys were a part of, we can figure out what the message was.”

I laughed. “You’ve been watching too many Inquest of Truth trids. Coroners don’t go out solving crimes. I don’t do investigations. I don’t participate in interrogations. It’s not my thing, right? I check out the corpses, look at the wounds, test the blood, and slosh through whatever’s in the stomach. I’ve got plenty to look at without dancing out into the streets trying to find out who’s in what gang and why they’re killing each other.”

“But you’re not thinking!” she said. “You’re not seeing what we could do with the right information! Right now, you’re the only person with this information. We could give the message to the gang it was meant for, or we could find other gangs and tell them what’s happening. Gangs are always looking to get something over on each other—we could sell information to them.”

Then she came even closer, and I’ll tell you that her odor wasn’t so much intoxicating as intoxicated, but that was okay with me.

“But let’s put all that aside for a minute and forget about how we can make money or gain influence or a minute and think about the people that come into your shop every day. They’re loose ends, unanswered questions. They’re stories without an ending. Don’t you want to know the endings?”

I smiled. Not my widest smile, because then I look like a jack-o-lantern, but a half smile. Which either makes me look wise and a little sad, or like I had some food caught in my gums. It’s tough to tell without a mirror.

“You’ve got it wrong, my energetic friend,” I said. “They’ve got an ending. The ultimate ending. They’re dead. That’s not an ending I’m too eager to share. I get enough of it in my day job, right? Last thing I need is to take my work home with me.”

“But don’t you want to know—”

I cut her off with a laugh. “But I do know. I do. You want to know what happened? The same thing that always happens to people who come into my shop. They got in too deep.” I shook my head. “That’s no way to be. The stuff you’re talking about, that’s at the deep end of the pool. I’m telling you that fewer people drown in the shallow end. And the water’s warmer besides.”

I’m pretty sure she wasn’t convinced, but she had a drink in her hand that Hatchetman bought her, then I bought her another one, and one after that. I hoped that would be enough to fend off foolish notions.

The night went on too long, and the morning came too early. The sun was rising somewhere not too far away, and in my white, stark room I thought about it because it kept me in a better mood than I’d be in otherwise. It was a quiet morning in Organ Grinders — no crush of bodies flowing in, no complicated cases leftover from the previous night — which I know meant only one thing. Something was coming in.

And come in it did, at 6:36. The time was recorded automatically as soon as the tagged corpse rolled into the shop. I was pleased to see Crabbage walking in with the gurney. It’s not that I liked Crabbage much, but he tends to bring me good stories. His dull grey cybereyes made his face bland and soulless, and his cement-grinder voice didn’t change the impression.

“Dresden,” he said. “Body for you.”

“So I see. What do you need from me?”

“Only the basics. Get an ID, basic cause of death. Nothing fancy.”

I pulled back the sheet.

“Any reason to think the stab wounds aren’t it?”

“No.”

I shrugged. “All right then. As long as Lone Star’s paying, I’ll look at anything. Let’s dive in.”

I’ve known some cutters who are really anal about their work, very direct and organized, focused and methodical. None of them, to a person, are any fun. I’ve got all the computing power in the office I want. Once I’ve done, I can take the recording my headware made and edit it into something relevant and cohesive. So why make work more boring than it needs to be? I launched in.

“Okay, let’s take a look here. Count ‘em up, we got one, two, three, four, five, six, seven stab wounds on the abdomen. They’re pretty shallow, can’t say any actually penetrated either the thoracic or abdominal cavities — whoa, except for this one! Check out this baby, lower right abdomen, that sucker goes all the way through. We’ll see just what that did to her in a minute. Her. Did I mention that part? Female human Caucasian, probably early twenties, but some hard years in there. Don’t see any visible bruising, which could mean she was sedated before she was stabbed, because otherwise you tend of thrash around, right? Wounds are pretty clean. Someone cleaned her up, not any dried blood around. Let’s check the back of the legs — nope, clean too, even the ankles. No blood, no dirt. Let’s bring in another character here, Lieutenant — it’s Lieutenant, right? — Slake Crabbage. Lieutenant, where was the body found?”

“Alley. Redmond.”

“And what was she wearing?”

“What you see. Nothing.”

“So, naked body in an alley, stab wounds, but no blood, no dirt. You didn’t clean her, did you, Lieutenant?”

Crabbage just snorted in a way that I’d be replaying tonight at the Seamstresses Union.

“Okay, so either we’ve got a neatnik killer or a good samaritan cleaner. If I was a betting man, I’d go with the former, but it’s not my concern. So, clean wounds, but still some blood clots, because that kind of thing’s going to happen. And it means the heart was still beating when she was stabbed, so plus one for stab wounds being the cause of death instead of happening post mortem. Let’s take a look at the big one here. Wow. Look at that. Crabbage, will you look at that? Are you looking?”

I looked at him so I could preserve his expression for posterity. He was looking at the wound the same way you’d look at a cat you’d just kicked out of your way.

“It’s clean! You see that? You see how straight that line is, how smooth the wound is? Someone was cutting with something sharp. I’m talking scalpel-level precision here! Very impressive! Now, he got through the abdominal wall and — hello! This isn’t clean all the way up. Look at this, Crabbage! It’s torn at the top. So how did that happen? You want to guess how that happened?”

“Knife got dull halfway through.”

“Ha! Good one! And people say you don’t have a sense of humor! No, human flesh isn’t rough enough to dull a sharp knife so quickly. No, this looks like the opening was stretched after it was cut, so the ends — both ends, by the looks of it — were torn. She wasn’t just cut, she was operated on!”

Now this is where I have to be ashamed of myself and admit that at this second I probably should have understood more. Should have gotten my bearings quicker. But I was zipping along too fast, not connecting the dots. I like my methods, I enjoy the way I work, but maybe this one time I should have slowed down. But I didn’t.

“Best thing I can think of here is to pry her open and see what the surgeon who opened her up was looking at, see if we can get any traces of his handiwork. So we’ll get a retractor in place, shine a light in the right place, take a look and… oh.”

And then came my second mistake. Don’t change. Don’t do anything out of the normal. That’s when people start to notice.

I don’t know how long I was quiet before Crabbage spoke.

“And what?”

I looked up and could not remember for a second why I had been looking down. “Beg pardon?”

“Said something, then stopped. And what?”

I looked down and wished I wasn’t seeing what I wasn’t seeing.

“Her kidney is gone.”

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 23, 2017

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

The Deep End, Part 2

When I went to the Seamstresses Union that night, there wasn’t a big greeting, since I’m sure they didn’t want me to think I was the center of the place’s universe or anything. I came in, nodded at Claymore and Lady G, who were in earnest conversation at the bar, waved at Daisychain at the bar, then saw Zankenman sitting in a dark table in a corner. For tonight, that would be perfect. I sat next to him without a word, and we stared at our respective drinks for a while. I have to admit it was weird to be sitting there and not talking, but that’s what I felt like doing at the moment.

I saw Glint when she walked in, and she saw me. She started heading my way, got within a few meters, then saw I wasn’t saying anything, so I guess she decided she didn’t need to be near me. She went to the bar. That was fine — one obstacle avoided.

The evening went on, and things got a little rowdier near the bar, with Mrs. Kubota getting into a drinking contest with Norma Ray. It looked epic, and knowing those two, it had a chance to go late into the night. A good distraction for everyone, and it livened the place up. All was well.

Then Marrow entered. Now, the Union is Mrs. Kubota’s place, so she gets to set the rules, but if it was up to me, one of the first rules I’d institute would be no press. Who needs them? Yeah, I understand they need to unwind too, but they got bars where they can hang out with their journo buddies and not bug the rest of us. It’s especially bad with people like Marrow, who don’t have any downtime. He could be totally in his cups, passed out on the floor, and if a hint of a juicy story drifted into his ears, they’d twitch and he’d be on his feet, already composing a lead paragraph in his head.

He moved like a trideo that was missing a few frames here and there, full of odd, jerky fits and starts. He had a datajack on his head that had looked red and inflamed, and he was always scratching it. His angular, batlike face twitched, like he was always hearing hints of stories in the air. Or like he was being lightly slapped by invisible hands.

I hadn’t been happy to see him enter the bar, and I became less happy when he made a beeline for me. I was about to say something to Zankenman, when I realized he had slipped off sometime in the past few seconds.

“Hey hey hey, it’s the good Doctor Dresden!” Marrow said with a smile that struggled to not look pained.

I smiled and leaned back. I know the drill—nothing sets people’s alarms off faster than if you act too different than you normally do.

“Marrow! How goes the pursuit of truth, the crusade to let people know what’s really going on in this filthy world of ours?”

“Great, great, really good. Because there’s so many stories to tell, right? So many good ones out there. Like, you know, serial killers.”

I twisted my mouth. “Serial killers? People like that sort of thing?”

“Like it? They love it, can’t get enough of it. Especially when there’s one on the loose, right? A new one? They get both thrilled and scared. Great for ratings. Especially if, you know, you get on the ground floor.”

“I suppose.”

Marrow still hadn’t sat down, just slowly kept circling the table. I didn’t bother keeping up with him — he usually didn’t meet my eyes when I talked to him anyway.

“Doc… Doc, come on, don’t hold out on me. If you had a story, if you had something I could use, you’d work with me, right? I mean, it would be good for me, and good for you.”

“Good for me how?”

“Getting the word out! Keeping people informed, on their toes, on the lookout. You could stop someone from dying, or maybe the information you release could even help get the guy caught! Saving lives, what’s better than that?”

“Well, Marrow, maybe someday we could talk about whether there’s ever been a serial killer captured through crowd sourcing, and then we could follow it up with a conversation about how much Lone Star hates it when I release information they’re trying to keep confidential, but none of that matters because I don’t have a serial killer to tell you about.”

“Oh come on, Doc, I heard rumors. I’m not bad at what I do — I know what you think of me, but I do know how to get information — and I heard about a body. A body with, like, surgical stab wounds. Don’t play dumb. You know what I’m talking about.”

“I may have examined a body with stab wounds and concluded that being pierced repeatedly with a knife was in fact very bad for the individual’s health, but one stabbed individual does not a serial killer make. If it did, we’d have one hundred serial killers wandering the Barrens at this very moment.”

“Yeah, you’re joking, Doc, but that number actually sounds low to me. Look, you know what I’m talking about, but I can see you’re not in a mood to share right now, and that’s fine. I just want you to think, as things move forward, about your pal Marrow, and how I can help you and you can help me. You know how to get a hold of me, so feel free to, you know?”

I nodded my head, even though I had never once called Marrow and did not intend to do so ever. He smiled at me and skittered away.

And there, behind him, was Glint.

I cursed silently. But effusively and eloquently. How had she gotten there without me noticing? It wasn’t as if my conversation with Marrow was so absorbing that I’d been ignoring the rest of the world. But I slipped up and was about to pay.

Glint watched Marrow go and slid up to my table with what seemed like a single long, gliding step.

“So, serial killer, eh?”

“No, Marrow had it wrong.”

“Come on, Dresden, you and I both know Marrow usually gets it right. If he came to you, it’s because he thinks he has something legit. What was going on at Organ Grinders this morning?”

“Same as usual, sweetie. Dead bodies and formaldehyde.”

“I understand you don’t want to say anything to Marrow, because telling it to him is telling the world. But it’s me. Come on, it’s late, we’re in the Union. Tell me a story.”

Now, I’ve looked back a number of times, and tried to explain to myself why I told her. Was I trying to impress her? Was I just trying to kill time? Or was it just because telling stories in the Union was what I did, and it was
too easy to fall into habit?

I don’t know. I don’t like to think about it much, because there aren’t many explanations that make me like myself. But liking myself is a luxury very few of us have these days.

The upshot is, I told Glint about the body, the incisions, the missing kidney, the odd cleanliness about the body. And either my telling was great or the subject matter enthralled her or both, because she was hooked. She started analyzing as soon as I was done.

“The dismemberment, that’s classic Jack the Ripper, of course. But the cleanliness is weird. The Black Dahlia’s body was cleaned. Ted Bundy would sometimes go back and prettify his corpses, but the less said about his reasons for doing that, the better. A lot of times, killers either walk away from the corpse and leave it in ruins, or they keep it for themselves for their own purposes. Cleaning it and leaving it — that’s weird.”

“You seem to have unexpected expertise in this area.”

“If you were a young lady walking the streets by yourself, you might want to know how some of these sickos work. Forewarned is forearmed. But the thing is, Marrow was right. This is a serial killer. Maybe this is the first one, maybe not, but that’s what it is.”

I smiled and picked up my glass. “Well, here’s to more business coming my way!”

She didn’t show a hint of a smile. “More people are going to die, John.”

“Yep. That’s the way it tends to be.”

“I know how this goes. The people targeted, they’ll be the outcasts, the SINless, the people easily to forget. People I know. People like me. If we don’t stop this, a friend of mine could be next. We can stop that.”

I don’t have an excess of gifts in this life, but one I do have is an ability to never look like I’m angry. I can play the storytelling clown for as long as it takes.

“It would be a great trid series, wouldn’t it? Coroner and street urchin team up to solve crimes and save lives! I’d watch it. We can catch a serial killer every week, then we can uncover corruption in city hall! It’ll be something!”

“This is serious, John.”

“It doesn’t have to be.”

“We could save someone’s life!”

“My dear, there are turtles with a lifespan that can exceed two hundred years. They only shorten it when they are unwise enough to stick their necks out of their shells.”

Glint stood up, shoving her chair backward loudly enough that many people turned to look at us. I was happy for the dim light that kept me from seeing her face.

“Fine. Stay here. I’m going out. I’m going to do something.”

“Okay. Be careful.”

“If you wanted to make sure I’m safe, come with me.”

I just shook my head.

“Fine,” she said again, then turned to leave.

“You don’t even know where to start,” I said.

She stopped but did not turn around. “Lone Star went into Redmond to recover a mutilated corpse. Someone noticed. That’ll be enough.”

Then she left. I sat at my table for the rest of the night and didn’t tell any more stories.

Life went on as normal for a few days. Bodies came in, my verdicts went out, and I spent some of my downtime at the Union, some of it other places. I didn’t see Glint, but that was normal. People would be gone from the Union for days or weeks as they took on jobs that kept them busy or when they decided to keep a low profile for a time. So I had no reason to worry, and no reason to do anything than what normally I did.

Then one cool grey morning I walked into Organ Grinders and turned on the lights and nearly jumped out of my skin. Standing under one of the lights was a tall elf, gaunt and pale enough to look like one of my corpses come to life.

“Holy hell on a buttered skillet!” I said. “What are you doing here?”

The elf had an alien stillness to him, along with a weird sort of anti-charisma. He was so homely that I couldn’t stop looking at his face.

“Mr. Dresden.” He very deliberately didn’t call me Doctor or any such thing. “Didn’t much want to see you again.”

“The feeling’s very mutual!” I said that with perfect honesty and sincerity.

“I would not be here if everything was going well.”

“It isn’t?” I said in a perfectly pleasant tone.

“Someone’s been talking too much.”

I felt like someone had just poured a glass of ice water down my spine. “Oh?”

“A girl out there is asking questions. Looking into things she shouldn’t.”

“I didn’t—”

“It will be taken care of, soon,” the elf interrupted. “This time, you are lucky.”

“What do you mean?”

I think what the elf did next was smile, but I couldn’t be sure. His mouth stretched wider, the corners drifting across his cheeks like slow, dark drops of oil slowly drifting downhill. It was like his face was slowly being carved open.

“It is a fortunate coincidence.” He pulled out a piece of paper — the list I had given him. The list that had taken months of painstaking research, and was currently paying for my nightlife. And would continue to do so for many
months. The first name on the list was crossed off.

“You call her Glint.” He pointed to the second name. “Her real name is here.”

“You’re not serious,” I said.

“The problem will take care of itself,” he said. “You don’t need to pay the full price this time. Next time, though, it’ll be different.”

I left immediately. Yeah, the elf could have done anything in the morgue, messed up any corpses or ongoing investigations, but he’d already broken in before I got there. If there was anything he’d wanted to do, he’d already done it. So I didn’t need to worry about him.

Especially since I know had business elsewhere. I hadn’t known. How could I know there would be someone I knew on the list? What were the odds? Of course, the odds didn’t matter. The thing had happened, and I had to do something about it.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

The Deep End, Part 3

The sun was coming up. I first thought, great, I had the whole day to find her before anything bad happened, but then I remembered that there really wasn’t anything to keep anyone from killing someone in the daytime.

The Seamstresses Union would be pretty much dead at this point, but I dropped a quick call to see if Glint was there. Mrs. Kubota didn’t answer, and whoever did said there wasn’t anyone in the bar. I asked her when she had last seen Glint, and she said she hadn’t been around. So that was one stop I didn’t need to make.

I jumped in my Americar headed for the Barrens while calling Crabbage.

“I got nothing pending with you,” he said instead of “hello.”

“Yeah, I know. But remember the body you brought in a few days ago? The cut-up one? Any more like that coming in?”

“What are you, making a collection?”

“No, it’s just… I’m, uh — I’m worried the killer is going to strike again.”

“You’re what?”

“Worried the killer will strike again.”

“Uh-huh. Okay. Well, what do you want me to do about it?”

“Well, find him. Stop him.”

“Great idea, Dresden. Brilliant. Never would have thought of it myself.” Then he hung up.

The rest of my drive was quiet.

By 9:45 a.m., I found someone who knew Glint. I’d like to take credit for brilliant detective work, but I’m not a detective, I’m a doctor, so it’s not my thing. All I did was remember that Glint had said that on nights when the Seamstresses Union was slow, she went to Banshee. So that’s where I went.

It was closed, of course, as any self-respecting nightclub should be at this time in the morning. But luck was with me — a tired-looking guy in a wrinkled suit and loosened tie was locking the nondescript grey door in a nondescript grey building. I guess Banshee was the kind of place that kept all its energy and decor on the inside.

“Hey!” I said while quickly approaching the guy. “You work here?”

He looked me up and down, the way anyone in Redmond would look at anyone who was a stranger and asking about their business.

“We’re closed,” he said, clearly hoping that would eliminate the need for any other conversation.

“I see that,” I said. “But I’m going to give you one hundred nuyen for answering a simple question. You can do that, can’t you?”

He set his jaw. It was already pretty square to begin with, now it made his face look like a perfect cube. “Depends on the question.”

“You have a pocket secretary?” He nodded. “Give it to me.”

He looked at me warily, but reached into his pocket and handed his device over to me. I pulled a cable out of my pocket, plugged one end into his pocket secretary, and jammed the other end into my left eye. Then I downloaded a picture of Glint and pulled it up on the screen.

“Know her?”

“Yeah. One hundred nuyen.”

I threw a credstick his way instead of arguing. “Want more? Where can I find her?”

“Don’t know. Probably wouldn’t tell you if I did.”

“It’s a matter of life and death.”

“Yeah, that’s what they all say.”

I smiled. “All right, you’re cautious. Can’t blame you for that. And I hope you can’t blame me for trying.”

“Can’t see that I care.”

“Fair enough,” I said, then sauntered off to my car.

I turned and looked at the guy as I slid behind the wheel. He watched me climb in then pulled out his pocket secretary and dialed a number. Thanks to my headware, I was able to make out the number.

I’ve done plenty of favors for various Lone Star officers over the years. I called in one of them to find out who the nightclub guy had called.

By 11:30 a.m., I’d found one of Glint’s friends, thanks to the phone number. Her name was Artemis, and she lived not far from Glow City. I hated being in the area, because I always imagined I could feel the radiation hitting my tissue and mutating various cells. The people slinking around the battered streets didn’t encourage any optimism.

It was all right. I didn’t want to be there long anyway, so further encouragement to take care of business quickly was fine. Fortunately, circumstances worked in my favor. It seems that not long after she spoke with the guy at the nightclub, Artemis took something calming — zen, by my guess. She was not a great conversationalist in this state, but she was quite suggestable. It didn’t take long before I had an address and was moving away from Glow City.

By 2:00 p.m., I was at Glint’s house. I was proud of her — she managed to maintain an actual apartment, instead of squatting in a dumpster or something. She lived in a five-story brown building with narrow, dark hallways. There was buzzer security in the front door, but it was broken. Luckily, so was the lock. I opened the door and slipped in. According to Artemis, Glint’s apartment was on the fourth floor. The elevator was broken and had a putrid smell emanating from it, so I took the stairs. They did not smell much better, but I got where I was going.

The door to Glint’s apartment was locked and she didn’t answer to any knocks, but I have nimble fingers. And a set of lockpicks. So I was inside in short order.

The place was, at most, six square meters. The only way it would fit a bed along with other furniture was if the bed was mounted on the wall above everything else. Which it was.

There wasn’t much space to store things, so there wasn’t much there. No Glint. No bloodstains. Nothing worth more than twenty nuyen, and I’d be hard pressed to get even that much for the few belongings I saw. There was no note saying, If anyone’s looking for me, I’ll be at X. That would have been convenient.

The search of the entire place took me ten minutes. I admit I may have missed some hidden panel or cubbyhole somewhere, but I don’t think so. I found something, though. A plastic wristband from a DocWagon clinic. It wasn’t anything more than a bar code, but I had a scanner programmed with DocWagon codes. That told me where she had been and where. There would be doctor-patient confidentiality rules to get around, but I was a doctor, too. I knew how to get other docs to tell me what I needed to know.

By 4:00 p.m., I was talking to one of Glint’s team members. The medical info led me to a doc, and the doc knew who she worked with. This particular guy’s name was Charnelhouse, and he smoked and steamed everywhere. He had a huge cigar that looked small in his hands, its smoke drifting past his head and out his nose and mouth. His leather jacket was wet — he’d just come in from the rain — and the steam rising from it wafted past his deeply grooved horns. He was a mass of black leather and glowering eyes, and he didn’t seem to like me at all. I sat at his table in some dank bar and felt like a brownstone in the shadow of the Wuxing SkyTower.

“If you wanted to help her, you’d be watching her back.”

“That’s what I’m trying to do,” I said.

“You shouldn’t be trying, you should be there. You should be with her right now, if you cared so much. You’re slow.”

I’d been calm with the ugly elf. Congenial with the guy in the nightclub. Patient with Artemis. I had been wandering around for hours and hadn’t eaten much. The rarely evoked unpleasant side of my personality emerged.

“Someone you worked with, one of your teammates is out there, in trouble, maybe in danger of being killed, and you want to talk about timing. About timing? Are you loving kidding me? This isn’t the time for you to do some sort of bullshit loyalty test, to see if I’m worthy enough to help Glint. This is the time to get any resources you have together, and see if we can find her and keep her safe!” I kind of surprised myself with all that.

“How do you even know you’re right? That she’s in danger?”

I stood up. It would have been nice to be looking down at the troll at this second, but it wasn’t to be. I craned my neck upward.

“Why would I be talking to you if I weren’t certain? Why would I be here? Why would I look as lovely as I do?”

Charnelhouse didn’t hesitate, didn’t blink. “Because you’re a bounty hunter who hasn’t brought anyone in for a while. Because you’re an old boyfriend who hasn’t slept since she dumped you. Because you’re strung out and always look wasted. Be nice if there was only one possible explanation for how you look, but there ain’t. So take your sad, soggy desperation somewhere else. I’m not selling out anyone.”

“Then don’t tell me anything. Show me. Help me find her. And if I do anything wrong when I find her, put one of those anvil-sized fists through my head.”

Charnelhouse stared down at me. “It’s raining. And I don’t go nowhere for free.”

I flipped a credstick on the table. “I hope you have a car. Mine won’t fit you.”

By 10:30 p.m., I thought there was a good chance that I had narrowed down the area where Glint to ten square kilometers. Most of it was open space, with traces of building foundations buried under weeds, trees, and plants that may have been orange or puce in the daylight, but now were a uniform black. There were no streetlights, or any other lights in most of this area, except for the occasional flash of a pocket secretary screen or some unidentifiable object. I chased after most of these urban will o’ the wisps, but none led me to anything worthwhile.

Charnelhouse was with me the whole time, though it took two more credsticks from my pocket to keep him there. He gave a little advice and helped introduce me to a few people who had seen Glint in the last few days, but for the most part he kept silent. We ran into a few devil rats at one point, and I jumped back. He didn’t flinch, just stepped on a couple with his huge boots and watched the others flee. Then he looked at me and shook his head.

We drove and walked and covered as much ground as we could, but didn’t see Glint once. We saw a corpse that had been dead for, by my estimate, two weeks, and an old woman leaning on a burning trash can who would probably be dead by morning, either from exposure or burns. We saw gang members carrying knives, lead pipes, and Molotov cocktails walking with a clear sense of purpose, but we didn’t see where they were going. A few hours later, we passed near the spot where we had seen them and saw the smoldering remains of some kind of shed. I didn’t see anything that looked like human remains.

We saw cold, tired, hungry, angry, aggressive, lonely, unpleasant, uncomfortable people. But we didn’t see Glint.

By 4:30 a.m., I was back at Organ Grinders. I hadn’t slept in more than twenty-four hours. I didn’t have any energy or adrenaline left. All I had was an absolute certainty as to how the rest of the morning would go.

And it did. It went exactly as I expected. I could barely lift my feet to sleepwalk through my part, and I kept waiting to either wake up from this dream or fall asleep into another one. But reality stubbornly persisted in staying right in my face.

A Lone Star car and a DocWagon ambulance pulled up just as I arrived. As if they had been timed, or waiting for me. I plodded toward the employee entrance while the medics backed the ambulance into the receiving bay. Crabbage — who else? — got out of the police vehicle and walked toward me.

“Morning, Dresden,” he said. “Got another one for you.”

“Yeah,” I said, then walked inside.

“A lot like the last one I brought you,” he said. “Chop job. Plenty of wounds. But not much blood. Which is okay. Blood makes a mess.”

“Yeah.”

The medics were wheeling the body into the morgue. I was washing up, organizing my instruments, going through all the normal procedures without thinking about any of them. Dreading what was about to happen while also supremely anxious to get it over with so I wouldn’t have to dread it anymore.

The instruments were ready. My hands were ready. The gurney was in place and the wheels were locked. I took a breath, then I pulled back the sheet.

“Another young girl,” Crabbage said. “Probably a pattern.”

“Yeah. Pattern,” I said. Because it was. I had seen the list. I had sold the list. I knew the pattern quite well.

There are some people whose face never looks right in pictures. Something about a still frame doesn’t capture their energy, their facial expressions, the animation their personality gives their features.

Those people tend not to look like themselves when they’re dead.

Glint didn’t look like herself any more. She didn’t look peaceful, she didn’t look hurt (well, except for the slices in her torso), she didn’t look angry, she didn’t look sad. She looked dead. There were several clean slices and one big, long one. I knew there would be an organ missing under that big one. I guessed it was the uterus.

I went to work. I didn’t tell her I was sorry. I had warned her. This is not a world where you should go chasing after what you don’t know. Not a world where you should stick your neck out. Do your thing. Stay safe. That’s what I told her. And she hadn’t listened.

Of course, she was on the list. So they would have found her, eventually, no matter what. So again, not my fault. If they wanted her, they would have found her. Someone was going to make money on the deal; it just happened to be me. Gotta make a living.

I conducted the rest of the autopsy without looking at her face again.

I went to the Union that night with the intention of getting well and truly drunk. I still hadn’t slept, but I didn’t want to close my eyes.

The Union was crowded and lively. Mrs. Kubota waved at me, Daisychain and Zankenman and others greeted me warmly, and Hatchetman motioned to a chair at his table. I sat at it without thinking.

“So Doc, what news today from the world of the gruesomely dead?”

I stared blankly for what I hope was not an awkward amount of time. Then I smiled.

“Slow day today,” I said. “Heart attacks and cancer. Nothing juicy.”

The room sighed in disappointment, then turned their attention to other things.

I’d be back tomorrow, and I’d be myself again. The list would still be out there, and someone would keep working on it, but I’d forget about it, pretend I didn’t know it existed. I’d share stories and make everyone laugh. But I wouldn’t tell them Glint’s story.

Ever.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jul 24, 2017

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Well gently caress you too, Dresden.

I know it's not cannon anymore, but that was a good story! Very Shadowrun.

Kanfy posted:

Something's odd about this one elf, you can tell from the speech bubble above his head.

Who's asking?

[The elf giggles - a strange, high-pitched warble you would not expect to emerge from his misshapen face.]

Hmm, I can't quite place my finger on what exactly it is, but there's something subtly villainous about this guy.

Oh, I'm no one of consequence. Never mind that though. A good evening to you and your friend the coroner.

Oh okay, my mistake. The inconsequential elf runs off, surely never to be seen again.

We go back to Dresden one more time to see what he has to say about our new acquaintances.

By the way, did you notice a particularly ugly elf standing over there in the crowd earlier?

Huh? Where? [Dresden scans the spectators surrounding the crime scene.]

He's gone now... but he was asking about the body. Wondering which Organ Grinders facility it will be taken to.

Interesting. Well... there's some who might be interested in purchasing some of her parts, sure, but that's pretty poor form to inquire at the site of a murder. An ugly elf, eh? I'll keep an eye out. Shouldn't be hard to spot if he comes back around.

Y'know, I appreciate that the game actually allows you to mention the hilariously suspicious guy to someone and they even listen to you to boot.

Thanks again, Dresden.

Anytime.

gently caress.
You.
Dresden.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

never trust a shark grin, my friend

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Well, that's a thing. I know the Anthology doesn't line up exactly 1:1 due to changes in the game as it was developed, but I wonder if Dresden was one of those changes or if it was totally intentional the whole time and the game just didn't communicate it effectively?

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Is it going to turn out that Holmes is actually a bunraku, and that's why he's so nakedly evil?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Psion posted:

Well, that's a thing. I know the Anthology doesn't line up exactly 1:1 due to changes in the game as it was developed, but I wonder if Dresden was one of those changes or if it was totally intentional the whole time and the game just didn't communicate it effectively?

Alternatively it was never intended to be communicated in the game itself since the story emphasizes that Dresden is never going to acknowledge it and is also good at hiding his emotions, being very deliberate about making his reactions appear natural to others. I get the sense that it was always more of a "bonus" revelation for people who read the Anthology.

White Coke posted:

Is it going to turn out that Holmes is actually a bunraku, and that's why he's so nakedly evil?

Him being slotted with the personality of a cartoon villain would definitely explain a lot of things.

Although the term bunraku specifically refers to people used for sexual purposes, so him being one is a mental image I'd really rather keep buried and sealed forever.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

White Coke posted:

Nah, there already was that psych profile we found of the dude in the Matrix from before he assumed this identity of the Doctor that said that he was a hosed up individual mentally, no need to alter his personality for him to do something like that.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jul 25, 2017

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
You know, from the start I really expected the true bad guy to be the dwarf coroner. It seemed to fit too well - he was at the crime scenes, and had the surgical know-how to extract organs. I guess this works too, even if the actual villain is just cartoonishly evil.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Podima posted:

You know, from the start I really expected the true bad guy to be the dwarf coroner. It seemed to fit too well - he was at the crime scenes, and had the surgical know-how to extract organs. I guess this works too, even if the actual villain is just cartoonishly evil.

Same, until I saw a big Shadowrun metaplot related thing I was familiar with a couple chapters in and immediately knew who the big bad was gonna be.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Thinking about it now, it would have been a great entry into the entire series. Shadowrun is just cyber-up'd noir at times, and having been betrayed by someone you thought was a friend is a staple of those stories.

RedMagus fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 26, 2017

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

RedMagus posted:

Thinking about it now, it would of been a great entry into the entire series. Shadowrun is just cyber-up'd noir at times, and having been betrayed by someone you thought was a friend is a staple of those stories.

would have*
Sorry, I'm super pedantic about that.

And yes, I agree. Dresden seemed way too nice and also really mercenary, but I guess him having Armitage there to help you in the beginning is supposed to show that he's genuine. Still, I thought he was kinda shady until I saw that metaplot related thing I mentioned above, at which point I altered my expectations on who the big bad was going to be, and Dresden didn't seem to be involved with them at all.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Look, some guys just really enjoy their jobs, alright? We should all be so lucky.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Part 20 - The Calm Between the Storms

The Dead Man's Switch can roughly be divided in two halves, with the Ripper plotline being the primary focus of the first half. This short part (and equally short update) mostly serves to connect it to the second half wherein the bigger picture will come to sight, the real truth will be revealed, the true evil will be discovered, etc. etc.

But for the time being we find ourselves at the Union's bar as usual. Some familiar faces and one random background NPC seem to have gathered nearby.

There she is!

And the Emerald City Ripper. Ironic that you tracked a serial killer to a mental hospital!

I'm a little on the fence on whether or not that counts as irony but sure, let's go with that.

Johnny Clean told us where you were going, omae. We have been waiting for you to return.

I thought you knew better than that, Johnny.

This particular line is only available with the Shadowrunner etiquette, and it's one of the few used only for flavor. You've probably noticed by now that one could easily skip etiquettes completely and not miss out on very much. Would you believe me if I told you we're already past 80% of all etiquette-based dialogue choices in the entire game?

You should, I looked it up and everything.

[Johnny frowns and nods.]

You're right. I should have kept my mouth shut. I should know better. It's just that we have a personal stake in the Ripper murders.

I admit that the killings have hampered business as well. I am sorry but it is true. It does not help that Sam's body was found down the street from here. Even my regular customers have been loathe to venture out with a killer on the loose. Now tell us, omae. Did you find the person responsible for the Ripper murders?

Not exactly. I got the bastard who wielded the scalpel, but whoever's pulling the strings is still out there.

Someone's pulling the strings of a serial killer?

This sounds more complicated than I suspected.

Oh yeah. The whole thing was a Frankenstein job. The Ripper was harvesting body parts to reassemble Sam's mother, Melinda. All the victims had transplanted organs - her organs - and the Ripper was taking them back.

Wait, wait, wait, hold on now. We knew that

1. Silas had a copy of Melinda's disinterment order
2. He had a donor program report with a list of the organs and their recipients
3. He also had a blueprint-like diagram depicting the human female form

First of all, we were never told where the organs originated from. It makes sense the source would be included in the donor program report, but we as a player never got to see it. Second of all, where did the part about putting them back into Sam and Jessica's mother come from? I can see that as one possible theory based on the disinterment order and the aforementioned diagram combined with the fact that Silas was a total nutjob, but leaping into that one as if it's the obvious conclusion is a little out there, especially as we don't have even the faintest hint of his motivation for doing such a seemingly nonsensical thing.

I feel like this part is sorely missing a discussion similar to when we put together the whole Silas-Holmes connection with Johnny Clean, piece by piece. As it stands, this sudden discrepancy in knowledge between the player and the player character is kind of jarring.

So... Sam had an organ transplant from his mother? And then... the Ripper killed Sam, and all those other people... just to reassemble Sam's mother??

Looks like it.

Does it? Gonna have to take your word on that one.

I sense a cause and effect in this. Coyote and Jake Armitage just left here to attend Sam's funeral. I am told that ther will be a reinterment ceremony for his mother as well.

His sister invited me to the funeral and the reinterment when I met her here.

Think she had something to do with it?

It is clear that you must go to the funeral and talk with Jessica Watts, Amazon.

That's where I was headed, Mrs. Kubota.

I mean we were invited and all, it'd be rude not to pay a visit. One thing that doesn't really come through in this LP is that most Sam-related dialogue choices include one which is very warm and friendly, as if Sam was our best buddy in the world and his death was actually a real blow to us. Here for example we could've said that we were going to go pay our respects to our friend.

While it's purely for RP purposes and makes zero actual difference anywhere, having a personal motivation does make the player character's drive to find the "real" culprit feel more natural. Sam never specified the terms for the payment beyond "get the person who killed me" which we've now done, so someone only in this for the money should already be running to his law firm to claim their hundred thousand, the greater truth be damned.

Of course you were. Thank you for allowing us to catch up.

Well he isn't in heaven. I'm sure of that.

[She nods in satisfaction.] Hai. That is good.

While that's the end of that particular conversation, there's one more thing we can bring to Kubota's attention.

Was there something else, omae?

I found this list in a data-store at Mercy Mental.

This is of course the buyers list for Silas' bunraku.

Oh, my... this is... unspeakable. Murder was not enough for this person? Selling patients as bunraku slaves! Thank you for bringing this to me. I know you are still hot on the trail of your friend Sam's killer, so I will contact some runners to liberate these poor souls from the buyers in this list. You have done much good here, today. The hand of the Ripper was more of a monster than anyone could have known.

What, no reward?

Pfffft. We do get 2 Karma for our good deed at least.

Van Graas is also here, ready to do some fencing as always. Now you might be wondering, didn't we already give the data we found to Mrs. Kubota?

I'm enjoying my drink, here. What is it?

How much does this Super Brawl championship ring go for on the street?

That's right, we still have the ring we snatched from Josie's severed arm at the infirmary. Most people probably hand it over to Lorraine because that's the thing you do in a video game, but you gain absolutely nothing for doing so. No, not even any warm fuzzy feelings as she barely acknowledges the thing.

The inset gems alone are worth 800 nuyen or so, but a collector would probably pay more for that year's ring. You want me to get rid of it? 1200 nuyen.

No way to drive up the price this time, but it's still not bad at all considering procuring the thing took no extra effort from our part.

I'll take it.

It's done. I'll transfer the money.

Kluwe is at his usual spot in the back room.

Good to be back, Mr. Kluwe. What's the latest news?

I feel like I should be asking you. Word around here was that you were closing in on the Ripper when you last left. Dare I ask how that went?

He's in the ground.

Where he belongs. Good. And yet your shoulders are no more relaxed, and you still survey the room like a woman who has yet to return from war. This isn't over, is it?

I would hope not, we haven't even gotten Class A drones yet.

Not quite. A few loose ends to tie up.

[The big guy sighs.]

I was hoping this would soon be all behind us. The Barrens has a short memory, but for wounds such as these, it makes an exception. To see this prolonged, I fear for how it may forever change the landscape.

It would take an army, Mr. Kluwe.

Maybe a couple. Take care, Amazon.

Let's go see how the people downstairs are doing before heading out.

Still all in one piece, I see. More's the pity for me, but I'll still take your money. Perhaps a full physical is in order? Or we can call it a medical consultation. That's where I roughly determine the odds of your survival based on your professional... proclivities? It comes with a lollipop. So what will it be?

Actually, I'm curious how many patients you've lost over the years.

Call it professional curiosity.

It's that arm on the table, is it the same one every time or do people just happen to lose a lot of left arms here?

Then I suppose I should be equally professional and answer without judging you for asking. And I should not let it bias me the next time you fall under my knife.

Geez, the question might've been a tad blunt but that's going pretty dark.

To give you a hard number is difficult. There are many who I would have considered patients that never made it home. And so I suppose one could say they died while under my care, though not as a result of it.

Six who I was unable to save, spread across a thirteen year career. And I remember each and every one, down to the smallest detail, including the moment where I realized I could do nothing more for them. I would argue that four of those six were beyond helping from the moment they passed through my door. The fifth died as a result of complications while installing a stolen piece of experimental cyberware, which I had cautioned against using.

And the sixth?

Still sounds like a pretty stellar track record, doc.

[She picks up her tablet and resumes her work.]

Yes, well, will there be anything else?

Unfortunately neither Castle nor any other merchant down here has gotten any new wares since last time, so we move on.

Fry is around but has seemingly lost interest in the whole Ripper nonsense overnight as he has nothing new to either say or sell. So Gruberman's next.

Got some catalogs just come in, if you might be interested in an order. I can get gear shipped overnight from the manufacturer, though I won't lie to you, you'll be paying for the convenience. Otherwise, I got plenty of the usual bang-bangs waiting for a good home. What do you say?

What's the new hotness when it comes to dealing damage, Buster?

Well, there are two schools of thought on the matter. There are those who swear by their smartguns and such because they make the weapon more accurate, and thus more deadly. Then there are those who subscribe to the bigger boom theory, putting all their money on the biggest and baddest rounds.

I enjoy talking with Gruberman, you know pretty much exactly what you're going to get with him.

Military life never taught me that. It was dealing to runners like yourself that afforded me this epiphany. You've got to be ready for anything. On that note, might I interest you in some custom mods? Or perhaps some specialty grenades?

Really? Military experience never taught you that different weapons might in fact work better in different situations?

I'm starting to seriously question whether it's safe to keep this guy in charge of all the hardware.

Mersmann is a man of few words as always, so we move on to Aljernon.

Ah, Amazon. I was watching you approach from the astral realm. So good of you to visit again. What might I do for you on this fine day?

So how are things in the astral?

Always a curious place, the astral. Though a mirror world to our own, it is ever changing. I suppose the same can be said of our reality, but things of a transitory nature here on the physical plane can cause long-lasting changes in the astral.

Some say the aftereffects of the three-week Grand Taco Fest of '23 still linger there to this day.

And just how is the astral textured these days?

There is a great deal of fear and distrust. In some places, it is strong enough to impact the working of magic. But enough of my doom-saying, you must have better things to do. Is there any way I can help?

We sell some of the extra junk we've picked up to him and, having finished our business at the safe house, return upstairs and head back to the main entrance.

Funeral ceremonies tend to be pretty dreary, but all signs are pointing at this one being more interesting than most.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Dec 6, 2017

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Amazon turned down a lollipop? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

I think there's a couple of bits and pieces that also point towards the "Sam's liver came from his mother" connection, though it might not be noticeable if you don't know about it already. The one I remember is this one:

Kanfy posted:

Part 11b - Meeting the Locals Continued

Sam was sick?

Well, his liver problems are definitely gone now that the liver took the problems with it.

Did he say how he got better?

He said his mom helped him out. Never said how, though.

• Locked thread