Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
As I understand it, Meikyuu Kingdom literally uses redshirt peons as a resource for you to spend in dungeons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

ProfessorCirno posted:

As I understand it, Meikyuu Kingdom literally uses redshirt peons as a resource for you to spend in dungeons.

It's not like having multiple characters or teams though, Followers are more or less just a resource pool.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I don't think it'd work, it'd just take ages and make roleplaying harder.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I didn't mean "you play one character and have a pool of redshirts to expend", although that sounds cool too.

rumble in the bunghole posted:

I don't think it'd work, it'd just take ages and make roleplaying harder.

Yes, D&D with multiple PCs per player would mean really long and annoying turns, but that's not what I was asking about. I was thinking in terms of the party being a sort of platoon arrangement and each player taking the role of a squad leader and squad. That is, you wouldn't be controlling multiple individual D&D characters with their own move sets and multipage character sheets. You'd be controlling a 4-person squad which has its own "character sheet" and move set.

I get the "makes roleplaying harder" thing, sort of. That's a big part of the reason I asked if such a game existed - I wanted to see how it was done.

e: To be clear, when I said D&D/pathfinder/OSR, I really really didn't mean "exactly like those games", just the fantasy dungeon raid theme because that's the easiest sell to the people I usually game with. If a game like what I'm talking about exists but your'e squads of space marines or zombie hunters or something I'd still like to hear about it because I'm sure it could be adapted or maybe I could even convince my regular group to play something that's not fantasy for once.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jul 23, 2017

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
just use d&d of your choice and refluff the moves to be what you're describing, sounds like that's all you want

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

AlphaDog posted:

Is there a game that's otherwise similar to the dungeon crawl-ish D&D/pathfinder/OSR vibe*, but where each player's "character" is a small (2-4 character) team instead of an individual? Preferably with rules that do something with the concept, as opposed to being basic D&D but everyone gets 3 PCS or whatever.

Joke answer: Goblin Quest

Honest answer: I don't know any games that do what you're talking about but now I want to design one.

Also you should play Goblin Quest.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Strike! and FFG's 40k game both have the optionsfor being two people.

I think if you tried much more than that it'd become some sort of skirmish game.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Cassa posted:

Strike! and FFG's 40k game both have the optionsfor being two people.

I think if you tried much more than that it'd become some sort of skirmish game.

I don't think that's what Alpha Dog wants. I think it's more like:

You have a hand of cards. Each card represents one person in your squad.

Each card has 2 special abilities, plus an attack strength, and a block strength.

You may play up to 3 cards per round. When you play a card, you can play it for attack, for block, or for an ability.

Cards played this round must don't return to your hand until the end of the next round (unless the ability says otherwise).

Enemy attacks of varying strength may force you to discard cards for 1 round, for the duration of the fight, or even trash them forever. Enemies can have other abilities, too, just like you. The enemy cards could be dealt out randomly one per player for GMless play.

I kind of want to design this game properly now.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ars has redshirts for adventuring/doing stuff while your wizard stays cooped in the tower

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jimbozig posted:

I don't think that's what Alpha Dog wants. I think it's more like:

You have a hand of cards. Each card represents one person in your squad.

Each card has 2 special abilities, plus an attack strength, and a block strength.

You may play up to 3 cards per round. When you play a card, you can play it for attack, for block, or for an ability.

Cards played this round must don't return to your hand until the end of the next round (unless the ability says otherwise).

Enemy attacks of varying strength may force you to discard cards for 1 round, for the duration of the fight, or even trash them forever. Enemies can have other abilities, too, just like you. The enemy cards could be dealt out randomly one per player for GMless play.

I kind of want to design this game properly now.
I'm picturing something like:
Standard D&D components setup (Classes, races etc), but when making your "character" you pick one to be the central theme ("Elves" or "Rogues"), and you pick the others individually per squad member ("Warrior Elf, Thief Elf, and Wizard Elf" vs "Elf Rogue, Orc Rogue, and Halfling Rogue"). Whatever your Primary is grants you full access to all the stuff Elves (or Rogues) get, some of which is squad global and the rest you portion out amongst specific squad members. Your squad members' race (or class) adds complimentary abilities to that specific squad member, and maybe adds a couple of globals too.

If your entire squad is in a scene you have access to all your abilities, but it's good form to ascribe them to the individual members ("Welf examines the runes. 'Ah yes, I've seen these before! This is dragon country'"). In a split squad scenario, you as the player follow whatever members of your squad are still with the main party. At some point between when they left and when you expect them to return a few rolls are made, you run through a few key decision points ("Rolf found some treasure. Did he take it?") and they (hopefully) reunite with the party.

Have some specific mechanics to tie in to the squad system, like in each round you get 1 action + 1 per squad member, distribute as you see fit. Or everyone gets one action, but you roll one extra die which you can swap out for any one squad members' roll.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 23, 2017

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Splicer posted:

but when making your "character" you pick one to be the central theme ("Elves" or "Rogues"), and you pick the others individually per squad member ("Warrior Elf, Thief Elf, and Wizard Elf" vs "Elf Rogue, Orc Rogue, and Halfling Rogue")

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

ProfessorCirno posted:

To an extent - you don't want to use them that way, necessarily, but there are opportunities to do so. From what I've been playing of it, Meikyuu Kingdom is really grim in a way I didn't expect.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Man why can't we have an English version of Meikyuu Kingdom? :(

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Because the license fell through for the translation company.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Caveat emptor.

I'm running the game Zero Count and ARB are in. It's more of a roll-dice-consult-chart simulator than an RPG. I think if you had the right group, in person, and were only interested in making numbers go up, it'd be pretty solid. As is, not doin' a lot for me.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
sounds like Tales of the Arabian Nights might be a better option for that same sort of experience unless you absolutely must have an anime dungeon theme.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Yeah, it feels a lot more like a coop dungeon crawl board game with very light RPG elements than the other way around. It's too bad, it has some neat systems, but it's generally [select action] [view result].

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

AlphaDog posted:

I didn't mean "you play one character and have a pool of redshirts to expend", although that sounds cool too.

Yes, D&D with multiple PCs per player would mean really long and annoying turns, but that's not what I was asking about. I was thinking in terms of the party being a sort of platoon arrangement and each player taking the role of a squad leader and squad. That is, you wouldn't be controlling multiple individual D&D characters with their own move sets and multipage character sheets. You'd be controlling a 4-person squad which has its own "character sheet" and move set.

I get the "makes roleplaying harder" thing, sort of. That's a big part of the reason I asked if such a game existed - I wanted to see how it was done.

I've been having a think about this. I'm thinking maybe something like a zoom-in-zoom-out sort of arrangement, where you play a single member of your squad when you're 'zoomed in' for roleplaying scenes, stuff like that, and then through some sort of mechanical wizardry you make the squad an aggregate of its individuals and play as the whole bunch for dungeon exploration, combat, etc.

There's the germ of a good idea in there somewhere, I'm sure. I just don't know what it is.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Alternately one player is the adventuring party, and the others are the myriad of dungeon minions desperately trying to keep them out of their master's chamber.

I know this also isn't what you're looking for, I just think it's a fun idea.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've been wanting to flesh-out my dead-tree TRPG collection. So far, I've got:

Fantasy gaming: AD&D 2e PHB, D&D 3.5e PHB, Swords and Wizardry, Exemplars & Eidolons, HackMaster 5th Basic - I'm pretty well-stocked on this and don't plan on getting anything more, except maybe The Fellowship or something that specifically isn't d20 anymore

Generic system: Hero 6th Edition Basic Rulebook - I wasn't super-excited about this, but I grasped the system rather easily and the book was only a couple bucks more than the PDF, and I understood Powers way more clearly than GURPS's spellcasting

Horror: Delta Green - I definitely want to run more of this, and the appeal is that it's really easy to present and prepare for.

For Cyberpunk, I was thinking of picking up either The Sprawl, or one of the older Shadowrun editions - not 5th, but 3rd/4th are supposed to be far better organized, and I can still get the 4th Edition in hardback.

I've also got Red Markets on order, so I'll have the zombie / survivalist / post-apoc game covered as well.

Are there any other genres that I'm missing? I was thinking maybe Night's Black Agents for the thriller/spy category. I know I haven't mentioned "space" games at all in there, but I tend to bounce off hard against those - I can never be arsed to read about all the different "races" in a game, and most of my adventures end up being terrestrial anyway.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've been wanting to flesh-out my dead-tree TRPG collection. So far, I've got:

Fantasy gaming: AD&D 2e PHB, D&D 3.5e PHB, Swords and Wizardry, Exemplars & Eidolons, HackMaster 5th Basic - I'm pretty well-stocked on this and don't plan on getting anything more, except maybe The Fellowship or something that specifically isn't d20 anymore

Generic system: Hero 6th Edition Basic Rulebook - I wasn't super-excited about this, but I grasped the system rather easily and the book was only a couple bucks more than the PDF, and I understood Powers way more clearly than GURPS's spellcasting

Horror: Delta Green - I definitely want to run more of this, and the appeal is that it's really easy to present and prepare for.

For Cyberpunk, I was thinking of picking up either The Sprawl, or one of the older Shadowrun editions - not 5th, but 3rd/4th are supposed to be far better organized, and I can still get the 4th Edition in hardback.

I've also got Red Markets on order, so I'll have the zombie / survivalist / post-apoc game covered as well.

Are there any other genres that I'm missing? I was thinking maybe Night's Black Agents for the thriller/spy category. I know I haven't mentioned "space" games at all in there, but I tend to bounce off hard against those - I can never be arsed to read about all the different "races" in a game, and most of my adventures end up being terrestrial anyway.

I found Technoir a more compelling system than The Sprawl for what I want out of a cyberpunk game, but they're both real good. Sprawl looks better on a shelf, if that matters.

Also, pick up Feng Shui 2 because you don't have any Hong Kong Cinema games and FS2 is an incredible game that I can never not recommend.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Splicer posted:

I'm picturing something like:
Standard D&D components setup (Classes, races etc), but when making your "character" you pick one to be the central theme ("Elves" or "Rogues"), and you pick the others individually per squad member ("Warrior Elf, Thief Elf, and Wizard Elf" vs "Elf Rogue, Orc Rogue, and Halfling Rogue"). Whatever your Primary is grants you full access to all the stuff Elves (or Rogues) get, some of which is squad global and the rest you portion out amongst specific squad members. Your squad members' race (or class) adds complimentary abilities to that specific squad member, and maybe adds a couple of globals too.

If your entire squad is in a scene you have access to all your abilities, but it's good form to ascribe them to the individual members ("Welf examines the runes. 'Ah yes, I've seen these before! This is dragon country'"). In a split squad scenario, you as the player follow whatever members of your squad are still with the main party. At some point between when they left and when you expect them to return a few rolls are made, you run through a few key decision points ("Rolf found some treasure. Did he take it?") and they (hopefully) reunite with the party.

Have some specific mechanics to tie in to the squad system, like in each round you get 1 action + 1 per squad member, distribute as you see fit. Or everyone gets one action, but you roll one extra die which you can swap out for any one squad members' roll.

This sounds extremely cool actually, and that Rat Queens page is the perfect example. I would definitely want to play this game.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Splicer, that's pretty much exactly what I had in mind. I think it'd work well for smaller groups of players like 2 + GM, which is what I could probably scrape up for an actually regular session (as opposed to reschedule 3-5 times per game) these days with everyone older and with family and work stuff constantly changing.

Funnily enough, when I had the idea to try to find a system that'd do this, I was re-reading Rat Queens.

e: Seriously, it's like you were reading my mind, right down to the idea that D&D-ish race or class could form the basis of a team's theme.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jul 24, 2017

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Plutonis posted:

Suicide Squad was an insanely bad movie and while I liked Fury it's the exception in a really bad slump since Training Day so I'm not that excited for another David Ayer movie/series

I'd call Suicide Squad incredibly uneven but more to do with studio meddling and David Ayers' bad script than his directing. That said, no way in hell am I giving two hours of my life to anything Max Landis wrote.

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me

gradenko_2000 posted:

Cyberpunk 2020 :awesomelon:

If only because character generation is a fun minigame in the Traveller style.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
You're missing a Kevin Crawford game and a sci-fi thing in the view of traveler so Stars without number springs to mind?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Do you love 90s Nick but wish you could bring that nostalgia to game night?

IDW Games has you covered!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Waffleman_ posted:

Do you love 90s Nick but wish you could bring that nostalgia to game night?

IDW Games has you covered!

This lines up with them bringing back Hey Arnold and Rocko's Modern Life.

Yes they are bringing those back.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

The multi-party thing sounds like it would make a better boardgame or cardgame than actual TTRPG to me. It could be a pretty neat deckbuilding game.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Multi-party is a very awkward level of granularity. Just have the players straight-up play guilds or families or mercenary bands and focus on organizational character rather than any specific person beyond maybe a figurehead or two.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Multi-party is a very awkward level of granularity. Just have the players straight-up play guilds or families or mercenary bands and focus on organizational character rather than any specific person beyond maybe a figurehead or two.

I've been kicking around an idea sometime based on how Grogs (red shirts) are handled in Ars Magica, where basically all the players make a dozenish members of an organization with a few personality traits, and everyone plays them communally.

And make running the organization in question a major component, again see Ars Magica.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Reign is designed that way, basically.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

gnome7 posted:

This sounds extremely cool actually, and that Rat Queens page is the perfect example. I would definitely want to play this game.

AlphaDog posted:

Splicer, that's pretty much exactly what I had in mind. I think it'd work well for smaller groups of players like 2 + GM, which is what I could probably scrape up for an actually regular session (as opposed to reschedule 3-5 times per game) these days with everyone older and with family and work stuff constantly changing.

Funnily enough, when I had the idea to try to find a system that'd do this, I was re-reading Rat Queens.

e: Seriously, it's like you were reading my mind, right down to the idea that D&D-ish race or class could form the basis of a team's theme.
I'm scribbling a thing for this, I am posting about it so it's harder for me to "ehhhh" out of working more on it after the initial burst. It will be a terrible thing, but it will be a terrible finished-ish thing.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Splicer posted:

The squad idea sounds perfect for that initiative system where each person gets one action per round, but the team decides in which order they act.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Reene posted:

The multi-party thing sounds like it would make a better boardgame or cardgame than actual TTRPG to me. It could be a pretty neat deckbuilding game.

Yeah, the idea of making one action per turn, not each CHARACTER going, had me think of card games. I'm thinking a vaguely competitive one, where it's the various players vs "THE DUNGEON," and whoever gets out with the most loot wins, and your party composition determines your deck. Maybe a few ways to screw over OR help other teams - jossling each other around until the LORD OF THE DUNGEON appears, and then everyone has to help chip in, as the LORD OF THE DUNGEON is too strong for any one single player.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

It honestly sounds a lot like munchkin but there has to be a way to do it that isn't, uh, bad

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

You're missing a Kevin Crawford game and a sci-fi thing in the view of traveler so Stars without number springs to mind?

Exemplars & Eidolons is a Kevin Crawford game :science:

I'll acknowledge that SWN's sourcebooks and generation tables and GM support is top notch, but I'm not that fond of the actual gameplay mechanics.

Covok
May 27, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Exemplars & Eidolons is a Kevin Crawford game :science:

I'll acknowledge that SWN's sourcebooks and generation tables and GM support is top notch, but I'm not that fond of the actual gameplay mechanics.

Hey gradeneko, you down for a one shot on Thursday? Sent you a message about it on roll20. Got most of our old ad&d group together for it. It'll be a play test for my new game and be at 9 p.m. EST.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/686586398485430272/photo/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Interesting tidbit from Chaosium: apparently the Japanese version of Call of Cthulhu outsells the English-language version.

(Michael O'Brien is the VP of Chaosium)

https://plus.google.com/+MichaelOBrienMOB/posts/d5gsLGpEShg

• Locked thread