Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Discovery is literally darker and the uniforms and ships literally have sharper edges.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jul 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Arglebargle III posted:

Discovery is literally darker and the uniforms and ships literally have sharper edges.

Unless Sarek bombs her room with Dilithium salts so that no toys can exist there for the next 6 weeks, I doubt that.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's telling the argument on the side of Discovery passes by any semblance of defense and goes straight to whataboutism.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The Discovery trailer has been removed from YouTube for some reason. :confused:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Kazinsal posted:

The Discovery trailer has been removed from YouTube for some reason. :confused:

Section 31 psyop, obviously.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Darker than fuzzy soap opera lighting and edgier than colored pajamas and repurposed upholstery isn't saying much though. Every single trek movie has been darker and edgier than the shows by that metric and almost half of them were pretty good.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

So anyway, I've been saying for the last year that the mysterious event in Trek's past that Fuller was referring to was probably how war with the Klingons started and this trailer basically confirms it. Any of you very silly people who thought it would be the Tarsus Blight want to come forward and get I told you so'd?

As a fun bonus, this means that Axanar's portayal of the Fed and Klingons being at war earlier than this no longer fits the canon timeline. More Star Trek than Star Trek indeed. :laffo:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Arglebargle III posted:

It's the same Klingons you remember from the profitable STAR TREK franchise, but now completely different! It's "darker and edgier" for today's teens with money for subscription services burning holes in their hahaha I can't finish

Arglebargle III posted:

It's the same Klingons you remember from the profitable STAR TREK franchise, but now completely different! It's "darker and edgier" for today's teens with money for subscription services burning holes in their hahaha I can't finish

Oh well third time lucky eh?

I look forward to the next iteration of this post :nallears:

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

After The War posted:

I'm mostly excited about the TNG episodes Jeb! has coming up, tbh.

My favourite parts of the thread.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Gaz-L posted:

Spock gotta lotta step/half-siblings that we never hear about until they appear...
I don't know, I sort of like it. Spock's early character in TOS was always about being the quintessential Vulcan; it's pretty logical in that mindset to lie by omission and just neglect to mention that you've got a disgraced half-brother who abandoned the teachings of Surak and is roaming the universe looking for God and a human step-sister who did who knows what in Starfleet: "No, doctor, I have no brothers nor sisters"

It could also make for interesting flashback scenes where young Sybok is fascinated with his new step-mother's culture and openness with emotions while kid Spock and Michael are both practising being stoic in the background.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Also idk if she was literally adopted or if that's more a figure of speech. Plausible either way, but lots of people wind up with unrelated parent figures without any forms being signed.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

"You're mad!"

"I'm Mudd."

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I though that trailer looked very good visually. Obviously trailers are going to make things look all action, so it's hard to judge the tone of a show from them.

But yeah the writing is my main worry- the Surak connection is bad. Having this new lead character be connected to Spock just makes the universe feel small. And obviously losing your talented show runner is never a good sign.

I'm still cautiously optimistic though. Seems unlikely it will be worse than voyager, which is the only Trek I don't enjoy at least a little.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

It was inevitable that they'd have at least a couple blatant links to TOS continuity. Surak and Mudd are at that perfect spot where they're prominent enough that all the fans know them, but obscure enough that they haven't been overexposed and can still be developed. If they ruin either character, I'll be pissed, but, honestly, they could have done worse.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
All I could think of while watching that trailer was the Sphinx.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKGX9tdPeN0

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's hard for them to screw up Mudd. The more the better. Have him do all kinds of silly poo poo no one will believe.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Biggest fear here is that they are going to make Mudd a homicidal super criminal maniac rather than a pathetic huckster. I can't believe I have to say that, could just be because the trailer hints at no tone or mood for the show other than "bad, sad bad", but there you go.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
It could happen but I don't think they would cast Rainn Wilson if that was the direction they were going with the character

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

It's telling the argument on the side of Discovery passes by any semblance of defense and goes straight to whataboutism.

"What if they made a trailer for DS9 full of action scenes and war dialogue and klingons, what then :smugbert:" It would still be more interesting because DS9's action scenes and war dialogue and klingons aren't transparently demo-chasing focus-grouped X-TREEM flotsam in a sea of better scifi options.

This is now the third iteration of the cynical non-committal "not really a reboot, come along core fanbase! yeah pretty much a reboot just give us your loving money and don't raise a stink" strategy following Enterprise and JJtrek and it only gets more blatant and sad each time.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I think some of the show-people said Game of Thrones was a big influence. It is what it is.

Arglebargle III posted:

OK you caught me. But my feeling is that Star Trek is really about strong characters and works best when it's tightly character-focused. Have that, and it doesn't matter to me whether the phaser weapons have one long pew or they go pew-pew-pew, or how bright the lights are.

And over the long term, a kind of "ideal" Trek (like, thematically) is hard to pin down. Keep in mind DS9 is a favorite of a lot of really hardcore Trekkers and it was a militaristic space opera. But we had great characters like Sisko, Worf, Kira, Dukat, Garak. Imagine I'm saying this in a Mr. Plinkett voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7Lr8cdZwHQ&t=343s

I think that's also the reason why it's usually stronger as a T.V. series than as a movie franchise. We won't know if Discovery succeeds until we see it, but the pre-release hype from the show (for what it's worth) has been emphasizing characters! character development! arcs! That's a good thing.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 23, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

McSpanky posted:

"What if they made a trailer for DS9 full of action scenes and war dialogue and klingons, what then :smugbert:"

Shut that drat thing off!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The clip they show is both good in that Wilson has the look and voice down, but bad because it's making Harry look like some kind of maniacal badass Joker-type, when he's always been shown to be a wussy con-artist who backs down at the slightest pressure.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gaz-L posted:

The clip they show is both good in that Wilson has the look and voice down, but bad because it's making Harry look like some kind of maniacal badass Joker-type, when he's always been shown to be a wussy con-artist who backs down at the slightest pressure.

Well that's only because you meet him after his dealings with Commander Awesome and the crew of the USS Awesome

They broke him with their Awesomeness

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Isaacs is kind of a dick here but he's right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJC8TlzEAgc&t=127s

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

McSpanky posted:

"What if they made a trailer for DS9 full of action scenes and war dialogue and klingons, what then :smugbert:" It would still be more interesting because DS9's action scenes and war dialogue and klingons aren't transparently demo-chasing focus-grouped X-TREEM flotsam in a sea of better scifi options.

This is now the third iteration of the cynical non-committal "not really a reboot, come along core fanbase! yeah pretty much a reboot just give us your loving money and don't raise a stink" strategy following Enterprise and JJtrek and it only gets more blatant and sad each time.

You said it better than I was able to express.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgRlzFIgm1E

Now let's all make fun of this.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Arglebargle III posted:

Now let's all make fun of this

It sucked.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

I stopped watching it the second Gary Johnson showed up.

Is there any scene where he's just agreeing with every single Rule of Acquisition and is also creating newer more terrible ones?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

You said it better than I was able to express.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgRlzFIgm1E

This doesn't make any sense. They believe in leaving people alone but they hate gay people?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Cojawfee posted:

This doesn't make any sense. They believe in leaving people alone but they hate gay people?

It's best not to try to think too hard about libertarian ideology.

Likewise I never understood far-right-wing types who like Star Trek. It's literally a post-capitalist big-government utopia.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Meanwhile in good Star Trek news:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMKECRnZe2U

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
It's pretty sad that I'm more excited about Seth MacFarlane's Star Trek parody starring Seth MacFarlane than I am for an actual new Star Trek show.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pakled posted:

It's pretty sad that I'm more excited about Seth MacFarlane's Star Trek parody starring Seth MacFarlane than I am for an actual new Star Trek show.

Yea, same here. That actually looks like it might be fun to watch, hopefully it matches the tone of Galaxy Quest more than Family Guy.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Pakled posted:

Same, but it's not necessarily because Discovery looks so poo poo. It's just that if Orville manages to capture even 20% of what made Galaxy Quest great, then it'll be a really fun show to watch. I'm still cautiously optimistic given Mcfarlane's involvement, but the SDCC trailer is really promising.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Also, it's going to be hilarious when Orville blows Discovery out of the water ratings-wise because one is on network TV and the other is on loving CBS All Access.

:laffo:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I do like the Orville's design, but I'm a sucker for shiny white curved things.

Hell, the trailers almost give the impression of the ship's crew being people who just want to get their job done, and/or are slowly being driven nuts putting up with their captain. Then again, maybe a captain who struggles to take anything seriously is exactly what you want when dealing with the frontier weirdness of space.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

WampaLord posted:

Yea, same here. That actually looks like it might be fun to watch, hopefully it matches the tone of Galaxy Quest more than Family Guy.

I wonder if Seth will have the guts to do a Family Guy "It's like that time..." cutaway gag fake out?

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I honestly don't trust McFarlane to not end up in the Family Guy style comedy.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

McSpanky posted:

We are fortunate to live in a time where at least we can pirate this thing to see if it's any good first before wasting our money on it.

I really hate to feel negative but just nothing about it looks intriguing or fun. Meanwhile, fuckin' family guy dude is making that show and the trailer looked dope. This is the darkest timeline.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

This still looks horrendous, and demonstrates how far Star Trek has sunk when it's being cannibalized for lame sitcom material while actual Star Trek is an endless feedback loop of remakes because you liked Spock, right?

Also, it doesn't look anything like Galaxy Quest, it just looks ~~IRREVERENT~~

THEN AGAIN, maybe Star Trek not taking itself so loving seriously is exactly what the doctor ordered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I don't even really give a poo poo about Spock or Kirk. The high point was TNG and DS9 but the remakers like to pretend those shows didn't exist.