Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
we watched the martian and the only thing good about it was sean bean was in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

nm posted:

Also, there is a massive sexist double standard for indecent exposure for men v. women. A woman can be running around naked, visibly exposing inner parts to kids, and she'll get a disturbing the peace charge with me barely having to work. Dude slightly exposes himself? Welcome to lifetime sex offender registry, population: you.

Are you saying that there is a benefit to my having a tiny penis?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

fridge corn posted:

"Hey this is scientifically accurate"

* is a slow boring movie *

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KakerMix posted:

Helaciously expensive, it seems to be one of those cars that people are slightly familiar with and since they are super unique looking the demand far outpaces supply. Especially since they are now legal in the USA. Lots of people here to drive prices skyward.

I always liked the Pao more anyway, it's a 90s VW Thing made by Nissan. Canvas top available, 5 speed manual and available A/C.

or the Be-1

Or the S-Cargo but that seems way more gimmicky than any of these cars. Made at the same time by the same studio as the Figaro.

Paos and Be-1s are far cooler than the Figaro. I've seen loads of Figaros on the road, maybe 3 Paos, a couple of S-cargos and zero Be-1s to the point I'm beginning to believe they were never actually produced.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

fridge corn posted:

Them's fightin words.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

fridge corn posted:

You, sir, are objectively wrong.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Adiabatic posted:

Them's fightin words.

ilkhan posted:

You, sir, are objectively wrong.

and sean bean wasn't even that good or interesting in it either :twisted:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The Martian is an excellent adaptation of a great book, and is very good.

Interstellar, Gravity, and Moon are all a bag of wank, however.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Martian over Moon? Really?
Have a seat over there, we need to talk....

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Brits have poor taste, news at 11.

Flying back to the us right now.... culture shock like woah.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KakerMix posted:

Martian over Moon? Really?
Have a seat over there, we need to talk....
No, you don't want that.

Moon is a nice idea completely screwed by setting it on the wrong moon. Stick that poo poo on Europa or somewhere so the mechanics of the plot for the lack of visitors actually function.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

InitialDave posted:

No, you don't want that.

Moon is a nice idea completely screwed by setting it on the wrong moon. Stick that poo poo on Europa or somewhere so the mechanics of the plot for the lack of visitors actually function.

Lol this is an insanely dumb post. i think you're completely missing the point

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

fridge corn posted:

Lol this is an insanely dumb post. i think you're completely missing the point
I reserve the right to be any combination of insane or dumb, particularly if wading into whatever conversational swamp you're currently occupying.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Forgive my ignorance but as a person living in the USA I constantly get reminded that Minis and Range Rovers are unreliable garbage considering the alternatives we have available. But everyone in Britain (maybe even Europe?) drives Minis and Range Rovers and don't seem to have any reputation for being garbage.
Is there some geographic difference between the vehicles or is it a social thing?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KakerMix posted:

Forgive my ignorance but as a person living in the USA I constantly get reminded that Minis and Range Rovers are unreliable garbage considering the alternatives we have available. But everyone in Britain (maybe even Europe?) drives Minis and Range Rovers and don't seem to have any reputation for being garbage.
Is there some geographic difference between the vehicles or is it a social thing?
No, we think they're unreliable too, but the difference is the parts are piss-cheap here and there's lots of support for them.

Assuming you mean classic Minis. The appeal of the BMW ones is a complete mystery to me.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also if you break down almost anywhere in the UK you are still only like 30 minutes at most from a place that can tow you, and there's not many places without cell phone coverage. In the US, the prospect of breaking down scares people because they envision themselves in this situation (even though they never actually drive to places like this):

So I think in the UK people are just more tolerant of unreliable vehicles, generally.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Leperflesh posted:

So I think in the UK people are just more tolerant of unreliable vehicles, generally.
That's how we feel about the US!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

KakerMix posted:

We're so throughly broken that our standards are 'if it's not actively falling into a pile of rust in front of us, it;s better than we are used to'

But seriously, they are both the pinnacle of style before substance and are for people who want them for their image.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Interstellar, Gravity, and Moon are all a bag of wank, however.

cursedshitbox posted:

Brits have poor taste, news at 11.

Fuckin noted.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

KakerMix posted:

theres an awful lot of americans driving chryslers or so i am told

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Oh got it so only idiot British folk drive Minis and Land Rovers.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Adiabatic posted:

correct

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Adiabatic posted:

Land Rovers are driven by farmers and horsey people and:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNybnRkj-MY

Range Rovers are driven exclusively by drug dealers and posh mums in the centre of London. They are never seen anywhere with mud. Ever.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

fridge corn posted:

theres an awful lot of americans driving chryslers or so i am told

That's never done out of pride though

Adiabatic posted:

No it's just that when someone has one over here in the US it's assumed they are trying to exude some sort of ~class~ and I was just wondering if it's the same in the birthplace of both brands, turns out it is but since that is where they are from it's much cheaper to repair them out of warranty thus people deal with them.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 23, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'm impressed I manage to have an opinion bad enough that people will agree with Corn instead.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I'm looking forward to seeing Valerian at the cinema, I know it's not going to be great but it's going to be very pretty and entertaining because Luc Besson and that's currently all I require from sci-fi because the genre as a whole is trash.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'm looking forward to seeing Valerian at the cinema, I know it's not going to be great but it's going to be very pretty and entertaining because Luc Besson and that's currently all I require from sci-fi because the genre as a whole is trash.
Luc Besson is one of those "gently caress it, I'll watch" names for me, yeah.

Sci-fi is great though.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I have a love/hate relationship with it really, in theory at least you can do loving anything with sci-fi but there's not all that many batshit crazy movies out there.

...unless someone has a few to recommend??

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

...unless someone has a few to recommend??
It depends what you like already, really.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Hey you gaming nerds... Amazon has the Razer Death Adder Elite Multi-Color on sale for $49.99:

https://www.amazon.com/Razer-DeathAdder-Elite-Multi-Color-Comfortable/dp/B01LXC1QL0

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

InitialDave posted:

It depends what you like already, really.

Stuff with a bit of imagination which is why I'm looking forward to Valerian.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The Martian movie was better than the book, the book was adequate but nothing like what good writing is like. It was a great outline to a real book but he forgot to write in most of the interesting parts or add dialogue that wasn't just 50 Shades of Grey level exposition. They were both relatively forgettable but exactly epitomized airport reading/long flight entertainment.

I still am annoyed about the lack of shoes in Cormac McCarthy's "The Road". Like, I have at least 50 pairs of shoes in my house at any moment due to having a wife and living in the same house for 14 years. How is there going to be a shoe shortage if 1/100th of the population is all that's left?

E: I watched Hacksaw Ridge last night and found it a bit sappy but still very enjoyable. Trent from Swingers acting like Mel Gibson must have told him "Ok, make it 60% Full Metal R Lee Ermey and 40% Saving Private Ryan Tom Hanks and you are sooooo money" was fun.

What are people's thoughts on which is better, that or Dunkirk?

Ether Frenzy fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 23, 2017

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
How much dialogue do you expect there to be when he's literally the only person on that planet?

Movie was good, book was great.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Gee yes, there are definitely no other characters in the book and nothing happens except Matt Damon sits there by himself telling stories about potatoes. In 3 word sentences.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

The book was better than the movie.

I've typed out and deleted like 3 explanations for my opinion, so I'll just leave it there.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
One's a 6.5 and one's a 6. I guess it's a matter of opinion which is which.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Moon is better than The Martian in film form.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Moon was a decent little film. I enjoyed watching it despite the fact that apparently the moon isn't isolated enough

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

fridge corn posted:

Moon was a decent little film. I enjoyed watching it despite the fact that apparently the moon isn't isolated enough

Maybe if the movie didn't take place on Sam Rockwell's rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
What did people think of Split? Mate recommended it to me, but I only thought it was "ok".

The short films that Blomkamp's doing on his Oats youtube channel are really interesting though.

• Locked thread