Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Did Moana just hit Netflix or has it been there for a while? I actually haven't booted up Netflix in a month or so and was pleasantly surprised to see it there. Guess it's time to finally watch that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Apparently it hit exactly a month ago (June 20th).

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I remember seeing a movie from 1995 showing up on a cable channel in 1997 and marveling at how quickly it was appearing on TV. :allears:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

We really do have it good. I can't imagine what it's like to be a child who grew up with streaming. I was at a friend's house and his girlfriend's six year old daughter didn't understand why we couldn't fast forward whatever it was on live TV we were watching.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I remember being an American in England back when A Bug's Life was hitting theaters there, and shortly after we'd seen it in theaters, we picked up an NTSC-U VHS for our VHS player, because it'd already hit VHS in North America before it'd left theaters in Europe.

A strange time indeed. Hell, these days it feels like Europe gets these films earlier than North America does, if only by a week (e.g.: Zootopia, several MCU films).

Incidentally, this is the most vivid memory I can assign to A Bug's Life at the moment. (Only other ones being Hopper's villain rant involving throwing bits of food at another grasshopper before crushing him in a flood of them, because I'd rewatched the scene a year or so ago, and the bird at the ending, because dear God, that bird sure made itself memorable.)

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Disney Channel used to make a HUGE loving deal when they were allowed to show a Disney movie years after it was in theaters. It was an event.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
They also have a silent movie called Moana that I somehow haven't even watched yet.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Speaking of Moana, I discovered a cool Maui/Disney related bit of trivia

https://twitter.com/Disney80s90s/status/887719986919333888

https://twitter.com/Disney80s90s/status/887720652857278465

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Das Boo posted:

Being a bit of a twat here, but I've got a hang-up on how dark Alucard's hair is. He's always been ash blonde verging on white and it's throwing me.

I thiiink I spoilered the only thing kinda worth spoilering? Vampire Killer's a given imo.

to be fair, in the art for both CV3 and the GB game with Sonya Belmont, he's been depicted with darker hair but more a typical Legolsi-style vampire, the style we're familiar with didn't come about until Symphony of the Night, and he did sport black hair as 'Genya Arikado' in the Sorrow Duology

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
He's an eternal rebellious teen who hates his dad. Of course he dyes his hair.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Robindaybird posted:

to be fair, in the art for both CV3 and the GB game with Sonya Belmont, he's been depicted with darker hair but more a typical Legolsi-style vampire, the style we're familiar with didn't come about until Symphony of the Night, and he did sport black hair as 'Genya Arikado' in the Sorrow Duology

You're right, and there's some leeway between depictions. I wasn't even thinking about Sorrow since that's an alter ego/disguise sorta thing. But SotN is such a definitive version that I have a hell of a time shaking it. Dude's look's been set for... holy gently caress, 20 years. Holy gently caress. What the hell.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

:negativeman: Stop making me feel old.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
spoiler tags for talking about hair colour :goshawk:

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R0yLRoevnA

:shrug:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Y'all should watch Ernest and Celestine sometime since it's on Netflix last I checked

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

starkebn posted:

spoiler tags for talking about hair colour :goshawk:

Was moreso thinking about spoiling the episode 4 reveal, but lol. Turned into this, didn't it?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://youtu.be/cuF9aZxoipE

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I love the look of it. I hope this short is the end of the "so many iPhones and Starbucks!" jokes

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Shrek 2 did the exact same "running out of a Starbucks into a Starbucks across the street" joke 13 years ago :ughh:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Das Boo posted:

Was moreso thinking about spoiling the episode 4 reveal, but lol. Turned into this, didn't it?

Its a reveal in the same sense that the Avengers film would have Thor in it.

If this series doesnt go on long enough for Alucard to get an episode in a future season where he fights the zombie knock offs of Trevor, Sypha, and possibly Grant Netflix needs to write me a formal apology letter because you cant promise me more anachronistic vampire melodrama and not deliver.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I somehow don't see the series lasting long enough to start adapting Symphony of the Night, no.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Is there a reason it's a four episode season and not like, a movie?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Das Boo posted:

Is there a reason it's a four episode season and not like, a movie?

It's the first chunk of the first season and the remaining 8 episodes are on the way, from what I understand.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It's the first chunk of the first season and the remaining 8 episodes are on the way, from what I understand.

I think I'm getting to be an old fogey 'cause modern content scheduling's a bit mystifying to me. This is odd and I'm still having a hell of a time grasping that bomb formatting CN's doing.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Das Boo posted:

I think I'm getting to be an old fogey 'cause modern content scheduling's a bit mystifying to me. This is odd and I'm still having a hell of a time grasping that bomb formatting CN's doing.

Think of the episodes we got as a kind of extended pilot. They used the money they had to make what they could within a reasonable time frame, and the reception has been such that they'll be able to continue producing them (hopefully with a bigger budget).

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Castlevania is also a weird release as it did start out as a direct to DVD movie series back in 2007.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is this real or a joke?

Solid Snake is: Master Chief, Starship Trooper.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Das Boo posted:

How is unlike any network show that takes a break over December to play catch up making episodes, and then resumes Jan/Feb?

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Martytoof posted:

Is this real or a joke?

Solid Snake is: Master Chief, Starship Trooper.

It's not even the first animated Starship Troopers thing :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcfpzfPdx-U

This was actually a children's cartoon.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

An interesting side by side of Toy Story and the new Kingdom Hearts 3 footage.
https://youtu.be/tkDadVrBr1Y
Are we in the future where video games are finally Toy Story quality? Well, kinda, yeah!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

The_Doctor posted:

How is unlike any network show that takes a break over December to play catch up making episodes, and then resumes Jan/Feb?

Which one? They're calling the four episodes a season on one end, which is the fewest I've ever heard of. You'd usually just make a movie out of that. On the other you have five episodes drop every day for a week, 3-8 months radio silence, two new episodes in a day, 2 months silence and then maybe a new episode each weekday for a month before hitting silence again. Or perhaps you got the Gravity Falls thing where there's a new episode every 2-6 months, maybe. The new system lacks the consistency of the old, which I understand is due to app dropping becoming the primary feature. All the same, I have trouble keeping track of when such-and-such new episode is premiering. I forgot Adventure Time was a thing and only by clicking through TVIV did I know there was a slate of new episodes this week.

Anyway, I ended up watching the Frederator video on Netflix Castlevania and it cleared up the timeline a bit. It's an unusual situation and I guess we have GoT to thank for getting it as it is which, hey, neat.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

LEGO franchise is hitting it out of the park imo. Ninjago's trailers pretty cool looking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5JV3nVOLMA

Warning for the Maximum volume Taylor Swift Bad Blood that plays in the first 5 seconds before the trailer starts

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Sinners Sandwich posted:

LEGO franchise is hitting it out of the park imo. Ninjago's trailers pretty cool looking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5JV3nVOLMA

Warning for the Maximum volume Taylor Swift Bad Blood that plays in the first 5 seconds before the trailer starts

Oh, that looks great but Jackie Chan sounds weird. Like he recorded it over the phone or something.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

The_Doctor posted:

Oh, that looks great but Jackie Chan sounds weird. Like he recorded it over the phone or something.

They made him wear a giant fake beard during all of his recording sessions to help him get into character, obviously.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm very glad this movie is taking exactly zero cues from the bad TV series.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm very glad this movie is taking exactly zero cues from the bad TV series.

From what I saw of Ninjago, it's pretty much picking up plot-wise where the show left off with Lloyd having gone from the villain's bratty son to joining the heroes.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Any Starship Troopers media where the bugs are invading us instead of the other way around is gonna be trash

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Inescapable Duck posted:

From what I saw of Ninjago, it's pretty much picking up plot-wise where the show left off with Lloyd having gone from the villain's bratty son to joining the heroes.

I saw an episode of the show once, wasn't he supposed to be younger than the other 4

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
He is, presumably it picks up after he had a growth spurt giving him the full-sized movable legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Any Starship Troopers media where the bugs are invading us instead of the other way around is gonna be trash

Any starship troopers media not directed by Paul Verhoeven is trash