Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

C'mon, man. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Phylodox posted:

C'mon, man. :mad:

?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

He stood alone at Gjallerbru. :eng99:

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
Thor 3 looking real good

Justice League looking real good

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Maybe the Flashpoint movie universe Batman won't use guns or kill people #notmybatman

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Putting scare quotes around the word diffusion doesn't change its meaning. All of these are soft as hell, which wouldn't a problem if it was a feature, but if it is then it's one shared between all MCU movies. Light seems to be used for the sole purpose of making sure the audience can see the characters. Asgard is overcast, the prison world (?) is overcast, the Earth shot from the first trailer is overcast, every interior is somehow overcast. A pleasant light basks every character, pushing away any harsh shadows - and, really, the whole color black - whether we're looking at a corpse-riddled battlefield or a couple of guys chatting in a cockpit. Karl Urban about to do some violence is completely undermined by it and his armor and weapons look like plastic due to the vast soft glow reflecting back.

Here he is about to do some violence in another film:

No grimace or vein popping necessary, you know poo poo's about to go down simply by looking at the completely overexposed, white-hot gun.

And look at this:

The use of black to frame him, to make the trident pop, the harsh light that his hair and suit reflects. Now back to Thor:

seravid fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 23, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hat Thoughts posted:

wheres the mullet

Where's the fuckin god drat mullet people.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
My 9 year old son made a face that said "holy gently caress" during the entire Thor trailer. I may have actually said holy gently caress.

Holy gently caress.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

seravid posted:

Why does a model on the runway, a witch standing amongst dozens of corpses, a couple of guys having a laugh and a villain about to do some villainy share the same neutral, diffused lighting? Why are they all shot from the front and the waist-up or full body? Why can you barely tell the difference between scenes outdoors and indoors?

Yeah, that's what I'm noticing. I really don't like that.

teagone posted:

BSS thinks adapting Flashpoint and including Thomas Wayne as Batdad and Lauren Cohan as Jokermom is a bad idea. It's something I've wanted since August of last year, and I couldn't be more hyped.

That specific casting leading to Lauren Cohan as the Joker is my dream come true.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 23, 2017

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Well I just watched Logan for the first time,gently caress sake i'm not crying I must have shrapnel in my eye or something (Waaaaaugh!)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It feels like the only X-Men movie to properly capture what it must feel like to be a minority; you never know when the entire world, or at least what seems like it, is going to suddenly decide to kill you, and the people who supposedly protect everyone else are the ones who pose the biggest threat to you.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Justice League has the look of a great pinball game with how frenetic and wild it looks, I just wish I gave a gently caress about the story or characters or Steppenwolf. Cyborg's effects are also loving bad.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

DLC Inc posted:

I just wish I gave a gently caress about the story or characters or Steppenwolf.

That's an incredibly easy thing to do. It requires no effort, basically.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

That's an incredibly easy thing to do. It requires no effort, basically.

This demon space-viking is just so uninteresting.

Serf
May 5, 2011

DLC Inc posted:

Justice League has the look of a great pinball game with how frenetic and wild it looks, I just wish I gave a gently caress about the story or characters or Steppenwolf. Cyborg's effects are also loving bad.

I know that both movies are a ways out but the effects for Cyborg, that scene where Aquaman rides a parademon through a building, and Black Panther jumping between cars look very bad. The CG is definitely unfinished, but drat those were not great choices for the trailers.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
See it while it up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQcslsUL2Q4

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Cyborg just seems like bad design, compared to most of his previous incarnations being very distinctive and solid, whether the shiny chrome of the comics or the blue-and-white circuit look of the cartoon.

Maybe he'll get the Mother Box bits ripped out of him in time for a convenient redesign.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Where's the fuckin god drat mullet people.

I'm seriously upset that nobody at comic con asked where the mullet was.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Tezcatlipoca posted:

This demon space-viking is just so uninteresting.

Ronan was a demon space-priest so there's a precedent for coming from space and being largely uninteresting, like Thanos and his work pants.

Darkseid might be the outlier just because he's so egregious, his name is DARKSEID and comes from APOKALIPS and at least had that rad demonic painting in BvS be a subtle primer for what he is.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I like the thought of thanos wearing poo poo-kicking Doc martens and brown cargos and some Riddick esque tanktop,he's just here to kick arse and gently caress poo poo up,why wear his best if he's going to get dirty?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

When I read the description "Thanos reaches towards the sky, pulls out a moon and throws it at them," I did not imagine they'd make the shot as basic as possible and have him throw a baseball.

There were some good looking shots in there (the shot of Spider-Man with his new suit) from what I could see, but holy poo poo is that a missed opportunity.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

GonSmithe posted:

holy poo poo is that a missed opportunity.

russobrothers.txt

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

When I read the description "Thanos reaches towards the sky, pulls out a moon and throws it at them," I did not imagine they'd make the shot as basic as possible and have him throw a baseball.

There were some good looking shots in there (the shot of Spider-Man with his new suit) from what I could see, but holy poo poo is that a missed opportunity.

Yeah, this is about what I'd expect. The best stuff in Winter Soldier and Civil War was the smaller-scale Bourne Legacy action. The larger the scale they're working with the less impact it seems to have.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Fart City posted:

Throw Mads Mikkelson under that mask, and let's really make Phase Four something to talk about.

EDIT: And I know he was the baddie in Dr. Strange. Literally don't care. He's just that perfect for the role.

I didn't know I wanted this until I read this post and now it's all I can think about.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

GonSmithe posted:

That was a moon throw? Looked like a couple of smoky rocks. Jesus. A crashing ww2 airplane has more gravitas.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'd like to see DC take another shot at Green Lantern and actually do it right. It's a rather hard concept to gently caress up if you just treat it like an intergalactic epic and an outer space fantasy. Sort like how Guardians did it and how the new Thor movie looks to be being constructed. Just loving Star Wars it up and introduce all these wild toy selling alien Lanterns and crazy planets.

JL doesn't feel right without GL and he's always been one of my favorite DC characters. How they managed to actually make the concept boring of all things in the film they made is beyond me. I wasn't sure it'd be any good but never dreamed it would be loving dull.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

drat, fair enough.

I can argue why I respect a lot of the compositional elements going on in Waititi's vision, and appreciate them a lot more than previous MCU flicks... But ya just can't argue with movie-fight.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

BiggerBoat posted:

I'd like to see DC take another shot at Green Lantern and actually do it right. It's a rather hard concept to gently caress up if you just treat it like an intergalactic epic and an outer space fantasy. Sort like how Guardians did it and how the new Thor movie looks to be being constructed. Just loving Star Wars it up and introduce all these wild toy selling alien Lanterns and crazy planets.

JL doesn't feel right without GL and he's always been one of my favorite DC characters. How they managed to actually make the concept boring of all things in the film they made is beyond me. I wasn't sure it'd be any good but never dreamed it would be loving dull.

The JL trailer certainly seemed to imply the GL will be playing some part, either in this movie or further on, with Steppenwolf saying that Earth being outside of GL jurisdiction is partly how he can invade.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Schwarzwald posted:

The JL trailer certainly seemed to imply the GL will be playing some part, either in this movie or further on, with Steppenwolf saying that Earth being outside of GL jurisdiction is partly how he can invade.

Supposedly there's going to be flashbacks to Darkseid's first assault on Earth in the distant past, which will feature Abin Suhr as part of the forces fighting Darkseid's army.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

DC Murderverse posted:

I didn't know I wanted this until I read this post and now it's all I can think about.

I'm more disappointed that we'll never get Mads Mikkelson as Otto Octavious. Mads was definitely "wasted" in his bit role in Doctor Strange

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Wonder how it will work with it based in the 90's, before any cool superheros are active.

Captain America was active. Famous even. UNless you're saying he's not cool.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BiggerBoat posted:

Captain America was active. Famous even. UNless you're saying he's not cool.

Uh, I don't know what you think Active means, but it doesn't mean 'buried in ice and thought to be dead'

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Burkion posted:

Uh, I don't know what you think Active means, but it doesn't mean 'buried in ice and thought to be dead'

Good point . I interpreted it more as "established" than "active" but yeah.

In that Alex Ross-ish JL poster, Flash's chest and abdomen looks like Darkseid.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

seravid posted:

Putting scare quotes around the word diffusion doesn't change its meaning. All of these are soft as hell, which wouldn't a problem if it was a feature, but if it is then it's one shared between all MCU movies. Light seems to be used for the sole purpose of making sure the audience can see the characters. Asgard is overcast, the prison world (?) is overcast, the Earth shot from the first trailer is overcast, every interior is somehow overcast. A pleasant light basks every character, pushing away any harsh shadows - and, really, the whole color black - whether we're looking at a corpse-riddled battlefield or a couple of guys chatting in a cockpit. Karl Urban about to do some violence is completely undermined by it and his armor and weapons look like plastic due to the vast soft glow reflecting back.

Here he is about to do some violence in another film:

No grimace or vein popping necessary, you know poo poo's about to go down simply by looking at the completely overexposed, white-hot gun.

And look at this:

The use of black to frame him, to make the trident pop, the harsh light that his hair and suit reflects. Now back to Thor:

I like dramatic use of chiaroscuro as much as anybody, but let's not pretend that it's the only technique that matters when judging the lighting in any given shot.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

K. Waste posted:

drat, fair enough.

I can argue why I respect a lot of the compositional elements going on in Waititi's vision, and appreciate them a lot more than previous MCU flicks... But ya just can't argue with movie-fight.

The Snyder-ish shots with the Valkyries seem to be specifically from some sort of flashback sequence, while the bulk of the film looks to occupy a middle ground between the Star Wars prequels and Avengers 1.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

K. Waste posted:

drat, fair enough.

Between the flying Valkyries (which I fear SMG is right about), Hulk & Thor's relationship and Cate Blanchett, I'm actually looking forward to Ragnarok.

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

I like dramatic use of chiaroscuro as much as anybody, but let's not pretend that it's the only technique that matters when judging the lighting in any given shot.

It isn't, for sure, but I tried to keep the pictures relevant to the thread and, if any type of movie warrants such a technique, it's comic book movies, don't you think? Whichever the case, I think there's a problem when most of your trailer looks about the same (i.e. bland), even as locations and circumstances change drastically.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

GonSmithe posted:

That sounds immensely disappointing. I was hoping for a normal sized Thanos extending his hand into the heavens and we see in grand scale as a moon begins to move, debris unsettling, as a planets tidal waves shift and poles misalign and poo poo, and an entire planets civilization is destroyed in close up violence and horror just because Thanos with the Gems had a whim to throw a moon casually at Ant Man. Basically one scene where entirety of 2012 is played out as a side note to monstrous purple dudes ego.

And then hurls it into another civilized planet where we see something like the end of Knowing play out

Gatts fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 23, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

seravid posted:

Between the flying Valkyries (which I fear SMG is right about), Hulk & Thor's relationship and Cate Blanchett, I'm actually looking forward to Ragnarok.

Rumor has it that Hela's been merged with Death for the MCU, and she'll be appearing in Infinity War.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

seravid posted:

Whichever the case, I think there's a problem when most of your trailer looks about the same (i.e. bland), even as locations and circumstances change drastically.

Yeah, seems very possible they went heavy on the weird visuals in the trailer, and a much higher percentage of the movie is going to be people lit about the same whether they're in a cramped spaceship or standing on a rainbow bridge, and clearly always in a thirty-foot cube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Cythereal posted:

Rumor has it that Hela's been merged with Death for the MCU, and she'll be appearing in Infinity War.

Awesome and that makes sense. gently caress...I'm with Thanos. Death to the universe for the hand of Cate Blanchett.

• Locked thread