Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Obscene mansions like that always remind me of that Versailles palace this construction magnate dude tried to build for his wife in Florida before the recession broke his neck.

The thing holds a bunch of records, but never really got finished. There's a documentary about it and the guy/his family from a few years ago.

Queen of Versailles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Mr. Nice! posted:

I mean earthquakes stop when we stop loving injecting poo poo. Oklahomans are beyond saving, I agree.

It looks like bob stoops is either selling or sold his castle out there:

Ugh, we have these in Maryland and Northern Virginia too. Burn 'em all.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Handsome Ralph posted:

Ugh, we have these in Maryland and Northern Virginia too. Burn 'em all.

you have HOUSES in NoVA and Maryland? Wow!!!!

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
McMansions are a blight upon America

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Gobbeldygook posted:

Relevant info from the EE thread:

Jarosław Kaczyński is the chair of the Law & Justice party (aka PiS). His twin brother, Lech Kaczynski, was the president and died in a plane crash in 2010. Jaroslaw and the rest of PiS fervently believe the Russians brought the plane down and Donald Tusk, the prime minister at the time, was somehow involved. They've exumed Lech's body and other victims of the crash for further investigation.

Reuters posted:

Polish government presses on with court overhaul as criticism grows
Marcin Goettig and Anna Wlodarczak-Semczuk

WARSAW (Reuters) - Poland's ruling party on Saturday dismissed growing concern from key allies including the EU and United States and protests at home by approving an overhaul of the Supreme Court that critics say will undermine judicial independence.

As mass demonstrations continued in cities across the country, senators of the right-wing Law and Justice (PiS) party agreed in the early hours of Saturday to a bill that would remove all Supreme Court judges except those hand-picked by the justice minister.

The overhaul of the judiciary, coupled with a drive by PiS to expand its powers in other areas, has provoked a crisis in relations with the European Union and sparked one of the biggest political conflicts since Poland overthrew communism in 1989.

Tens of thousands of protesters have gathered across Poland for candle-lit vigils daily since Wednesday, demanding that President Andrzej Duda, a PiS ally, veto the bill. Peaceful demonstrations continued on Saturday evening in dozens of cities, including Warsaw, Krakow and Poznan.

Hundreds of protesters gathered at the Warsaw villa of PiS head Jaroslaw Kaczynski, Poland's de facto leader, who holds no government post.

The opposition and most legal experts say the government's overhaul violates the Polish constitution.

But the government has stood firmly by its plan despite accusations that it is heading toward authoritarian rule. The PiS says the changes are needed to ensure courts serve all Poles, not just the "elites".

The European Union's executive on Wednesday gave Poland a week to shelve the judicial reforms, which Brussels says would put courts under direct government control, or risk sanctions.

"Today the strategic direction toward the West that we had chosen is being reversed," European Council President and former Polish premier Donald Tusk told TVN24 television on Friday.

U.S. Senator John McCain said on Twitter that passing of the Supreme Court bill was "one step back for #democracy" in Poland.

Concerns

The United States, Poland's most important ally in NATO, also expressed its concerns.

"We urge all sides to ensure that any judicial reform does not violate Poland's constitution ... and respect the principles of judicial independence and separation of powers," the U.S. Department of State said in a statement.

Poland's foreign ministry dismissed those worries.

"The fact that the legislative process is still under way makes any such pronouncements premature," the ministry said, adding the bill protected judicial independence.

[People hold an image of Jaroslaw Kaczynski, with the word shame written on it, as they gather during a protest against the Supreme Court legislation at the Main Square in Krakow, Poland, July 22, 2017. Agencja Gazeta/Jakub Porzycki via REUTERS]
The largest U.S. and British organizations of lawyers have disagreed, a stance mirrored by top judges in the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Estonia and other countries.

Chair of the Bar of England and Wales, Andrew Langdon, said he had asked the Polish president to veto "new legislation that will undermine the independence of the Polish judiciary".

"Judges must be independent. History tells us that justice is not done well when it is influenced by political turbulence and populism", Langdon said.

The European Network of Councils for the Judiciary has said the situation in Poland is "very grave".

In neighboring Germany, Justice Minister Heiko Maas said the independence of Poland's judiciary was at risk, adding that he welcomed the European Commission considering sanctions.

"Those who show so little respect for the rule of law run the risk of isolating themselves politically", he warned in German newspaper Bild am Sonntag.

So far only Poland's fellow eurosceptic government in Hungary has said it will stand by Warsaw against the threat of EU sanctions.

President's Call

An opinion poll for private television TVN showed on Friday that 55 percent of respondents said Duda should veto the judicial overhaul, while 29 percent wanted him to sign it.

Another poll, conduced after the Supreme Court bill was approved, showed that support for PiS falling by 4 percentage points to 32 percent compared to last month.

Duda's spokesman said on Saturday the president believed there was an inconsistency in the bill, but stopped short of saying what Duda would do. The president can sign a bill into law, veto it or send it to the constitutional court for checks.

Duda, currently on holidays at the Baltic coast, will meet the head of the Supreme Court on Monday.

Earlier this week, Duda demanded that new Supreme Court justices be selected by a panel composed mostly of judges chosen by a three-fifths parliamentary majority. PiS lawmakers agreed to introduce that change.

Since coming into power in 2015, the PiS has sought to tighten government influence over courts, and brought prosecutors and state media under direct government control. It has also introduced some restrictions on public gatherings.

But the party has remained broadly popular among the electorate. Poles generally have little trust in the judicial system, which they consider ineffective because even simple cases can last years.

With the economy growing robustly and unemployment at record lows, the party's nationalist rhetoric infused with Catholic piety resonates strongly among Poland's conservative voters.

Additional reporting by Marton Dunai in BUDAPEST, Pawel Sobczak in WARSAW, Michelle Martin in BERLIN; writing by Marcin Goettig,; editing by Andrew Bolton, G Crosse.

Stupider things have happened than letting your entire cabinet go down on a single plane. But now we know Putin gives no fucks about balls out power plays. So what the hell is Jaroslaw Kaczynski after? Real justice or his own power play? Again, stupider things have happened than climbing onto a throne from your relative's back. Still, probably not a good idea to let a vengeful person rewrite your constitution.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

bird food bathtub posted:

More an appreciation of the situation we're in. If Black Panthers v2.0 started showing up on the newspapers today open carrying they would not only be some of the ballsiest mother fuckers in existence because of the police and the Trumpenstaffel

So let me give you a quick review of the upcoming movie Detroit: if poo poo gets to that level, and it looks like it might, there are going to be Black Panthers 2.0 but this time there's a bunch of white liberal college students dropping molotovs from drones.

It's in everybody's best interest to put a lid on the alt-right red hats before we get to that level.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Mr. Nice! posted:

I mean earthquakes stop when we stop loving injecting poo poo. Oklahomans are beyond saving, I agree.

It looks like bob stoops is either selling or sold his castle out there:

I know, I just wanted to poo poo on OK again. Also, I hate their stupid tall rear end tornado roofs.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Godholio posted:

I know, I just wanted to poo poo on OK again. Also, I hate their stupid tall rear end tornado roofs.

Oklahoma was a dirtball place with few redeeming features other than being a dumping ground for Jackson to shove Natives into a hundred years ago. Has it improved since then?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

As Nero Danced posted:

Oklahoma was a dirtball place with few redeeming features other than being a dumping ground for Jackson to shove Natives into a hundred years ago. Has it improved since then?

I was on Oklahoma one time and I saw a pregnant women by cigs and two handles of vodka, get in the car and drive off.

Maybe they weren't for her.....

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Waroduce posted:

I was on Oklahoma one time and I saw a pregnant women by cigs and two handles of vodka, get in the car and drive off.

It was for two.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

M_Gargantua posted:

So let me give you a quick review of the upcoming movie Detroit: if poo poo gets to that level, and it looks like it might, there are going to be Black Panthers 2.0 but this time there's a bunch of white liberal college students dropping molotovs from drones.

It's in everybody's best interest to put a lid on the alt-right red hats before we get to that level.

I have a kind of bizzare fascination with what an organized 1890s labor riot type thing would look like today. Improvised drone weapons, real time aerial imaging for anyone with money, C3 capability being in everyone about 12 and it's pocket...

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Anthony Scaramucci is deleting
all of his prior tweets in the name of "transparency" or something

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/889115180747153408

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment
Should've done that before you had the spotlight on you, Mooch.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Haha that guy is such a piece of poo poo. You can see how uncomfortable he looks at the beginning and it doesn't get better from there

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Tryzzub posted:

Should've done that before you had the spotlight on you, Mooch.

Wouldn't even have mattered then, I believe. There are like three different websites that catalog/archive pretty much all tweets in various forms of databases with varying level of detail, shouldn't really be hard to sift through his assortment of word salads for something atrocious.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Retardog posted:

Haha that guy is such a piece of poo poo. You can see how uncomfortable he looks at the beginning and it doesn't get better from there

https://twitter.com/Sarah_Boxer/status/889110486851211264

https://twitter.com/markberman/status/889130622345728000

It appears that bringing another liar on board doesn't help anything when other liars are telling different lies on different shows.

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Wouldn't even have mattered then, I believe. There are like three different websites that catalog/archive pretty much all tweets in various forms of databases with varying level of detail, shouldn't really be hard to sift through his assortment of word salads for something atrocious.

Oh, definitely. It was more of a comment on how this is a reactive move on his part, and there's no way to spin it other than "my head is so far up Trump's rear end I can taste the well done steaks he eats."

Which I guess is a requirement for choosing to work in the administration at this point.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Waroduce posted:

If you didn't run after the car screaming MARRRRY MEEEEE you're doing it wrong.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Delizin posted:

There was just an article from a couple weeks ago that carried a lot of the same sentiments about guns rights that you all are talking about.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jul/11/redneck-revolt-guns-anti-racism-fascism-far-left

There is a group called Redneck Revolt that is trying to separate the gun issue from all the other poo poo that gets lumped in with it. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of gun owners feel the same way, but with how iconic and well funded the NRA is it would be pretty drat hard to displace them.

One of the pictures of the alt right from that article:

This loving country.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I just took an Uber does that mean I am a nazi

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Redneck Revolt and Cornbread Communism are both cool and good

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

TBeats posted:

I just took an Uber does that mean I am a nazi

Worse, it makes you a Über-Nazi!

Now go strap on this Pepe The Frog mask and threaten to rape female reporters, while screaming 'cuck' every 30 seconds.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

BigDave posted:

Worse, it makes you a Über-Nazi!

Now go strap on this Pepe The Frog mask and threaten to rape female reporters, while screaming 'cuck' every 30 seconds.

But do it ironically in case you get called out for it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

As Nero Danced posted:

No. There's a decent cigar bar and a dueling piano bar downtown. And a good movie theater in Moore that was heavily damaged by the EF-5 tornado in '13 but has since reopened. Otherwise, keep flying over.

Waroduce posted:

Don't hold your breath.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

One of the pictures of the alt right from that article:

This loving country.

Who would win?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Godholio posted:

Don't hold your breath.

Whoa don't take his legs out. I'm sure that pregnant lady would give it up after one of those handles, if the recent successes of other Gipper's are any indication.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Godholio posted:

Don't hold your breath.
I have to. She's trying to stick her tongue down my throat for bennies.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

From a couple pages back....

Nah. We won't get to that point. The global ocean current conveyor system will shut down well before sea level rise really fucks the planet. Once you dump too much cold, fresh water into the ocean you lose dynamics that essentially create the weather patterns and the best guess beyond that is a mini ice age. As in the Hudson being frozen over for 3/4 of the year and re-establishment of the arctic ice shelf, in southern Canada. By something like 2050.

I'll have to try to find the really awesome article a bunch of scientists wrote on it about a decade ago. Its weather doomsday dialed up to 11, but reasonably credible from the science side. And if you are into the rapid decline and extinction of the human race, its very much your poo poo. Its my favorite theory on Climate Change's end game and when you really dig into the concept, it seems like the most viable.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Just about every theory on climate change is varying degrees of 'lol we're hosed yo'

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Cape Canaveral is hosed :(

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Genocide Tendency posted:

Nah. We won't get to that point. The global ocean current conveyor system will shut down well before sea level rise really fucks the planet. Once you dump too much cold, fresh water into the ocean you lose dynamics that essentially create the weather patterns and the best guess beyond that is a mini ice age. As in the Hudson being frozen over for 3/4 of the year and re-establishment of the arctic ice shelf, in southern Canada. By something like 2050.

I'll have to try to find the really awesome article a bunch of scientists wrote on it about a decade ago. Its weather doomsday dialed up to 11, but reasonably credible from the science side. And if you are into the rapid decline and extinction of the human race, its very much your poo poo. Its my favorite theory on Climate Change's end game and when you really dig into the concept, it seems like the most viable.

It's pretty much The Day After Tomorrow, without all the hilarious exaggeration. We covered this type of poo poo in AP geology class in high school, and most of us went "Hang on, the majority of scientist around the globe agree on this? How is this the first time we hear about this?"

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Godholio posted:

And a good movie theater in Moore that was heavily damaged by the EF-5 tornado in '13 but has since reopened.

I went and saw the Jurassic Park 3D rerelease there, and two weeks later, it was a temporary morgue and triage site.

gently caress Oklahoma. :(

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Professor Bling posted:

McMansions are a blight upon America

http://mcmansionhell.com/

Here is a fun page about this :toot:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Capn Beeb posted:

http://mcmansionhell.com/

Here is a fun page about this :toot:

Oh hey, the site is back after Zillow tried to shut them down.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

We're in the mini-ice age right now. That's kind of the issue. Temperatures are skyrocketing when they should be dropping, and ocean acidification is raising the temperatures.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Oh hey, the site is back after Zillow tried to shut them down.

Yeah, he got represented pro-bono against Zillow and Zillow quickly dropped their suit.

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

As a winter dude, this sounds dope

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I thought that was only going to happen in northern europe, the rest of the planet is going to be significantly warmer. Well, except possibly CONUS winters because siberia is so hot that the polar vortex likes to hang out south of the Canadian border.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, he got represented pro-bono against Zillow and Zillow quickly dropped their suit.

a woman runs that site

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

a woman runs that site

Excuse me you are correct, she.

As for the Mini-Ice Age claim:

quote:

Scientists noticed that historically, the world had been heading towards an ice age.[64] A minority of scientists in the 1970s and earlier also predicted that the pollution would have cooling effect due to increased cloud cover from factories and other emissions. This actually is a thing and does throw a bit of a curveball into the models and appropriate course of action. For example, after 9/11 global air traffic more or less shut down, and the lack of contrails led to the discovery that airplane contrails act to stabilize air temperature throughout the day[65]. The real world is complicated,[citation NOT needed] and people use science to discover how it works. As such, scientific knowledge marches ever forward, and obviously the world has been warming. But the few works published have been enough for "climate skeptics" to strip mine for quotes.

Trotting out the global cooling trope is sometimes called the ice age fallacy.

However, by the 1970s evidence mounted that — within only a few years — warming caused by man's emissions of CO2 would overwhelm any natural cooling trend. The average temperature of Earth's troposphere has been steadily increasing since the 1980s, and there is no indication that glaciers will make it to the borders of London any time soon.

The consequences of this warming over the longer term in the context of the still-ongoing quaternary ice age remain debatable. Various mixes of the following are up for consideration:

Runaway global warming, with the methane trapped in the permafrost being released etc, turns the Earth into a clone of Venus.[15] The oceans boil, water splits into its component hydrogen and oxygen, lead melts... that kind of thing.
Runaway global warming is sufficient to permanently break us out of this ice age, but the Venus thing doesn't happen.
We gently caress the climate up to such an extent that it reverts to glaciation in protest.[16]
Things get toasty for a few hundred or thousand years, but in 20,000 years we're covered in glaciers nonetheless.
Global warming is a hoax perpetrated by liberals, and any temperature increase in the short term is just part of a natural cycle: we freeze anyway.
Ice ages are also a hoax, temperatures aren't going anywhere, and we're all going to get raptured shortly anyway.[17]
At this stage we can probably rule out the last two, but the rest remain contenders.

Suffice to say, the mini-ice age thing is not going to happen, overall heating is going to be enough to offset any cooling and overwhelm it in the long run. At least till we all die off.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Godholio posted:

No. There's a decent cigar bar and a dueling piano bar downtown. And a good movie theater in Moore that was heavily damaged by the EF-5 tornado in '13 but has since reopened. Otherwise, keep flying over.

Don't hold your breath.

The Warren? It's F5 rated baby, it sheltered people during that monsta

• Locked thread