Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

lol is that loving real?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Condiv Link to Ozy posted:

The Meek Are Inheriting Wall Street

Can Atlas shrug it off? Alpha-male investment managers are losing their grip. Years of meager returns and the development of finance-savvy artificial intelligence bled $326 billion from actively managed funds last year, while $429 billion flowed into passively managed and algorithm-run funds. Even hedge funds took a $106 billion hit, partly from big investors like pension funds and college endowments opting to invest directly in privately-held firms, aka ”shadow capital” — a record quarter of all private equity investments — perhaps forcing Wall Street titans to share their burden.

What the gently caress? What does this even mean? What's the point of bringing this up?

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

lol is that loving real?

no player of games is by all accounts a really good book and Iain M. Banks is a serious and well-respected author. what i quoted was written by a goon

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jernau Morat Gurgeh, a famously skillful player of board games and other similar contests, lives on Chiark Orbital, and is bored with his successful life. The Culture's Special Circumstances inquires about his willingness to participate in a long journey, though won't explain further unless Gurgeh agrees to participate. While he is considering this offer, one of his drone friends, Mawhrin-Skel, which had been ejected from Special Circumstances due to its unstable personality, convinces him to cheat in one of his matches in an attempt to win in an unprecedented perfect fashion. The attempt fails, but Mawhrin-Skel uses its recording of the event to blackmail Gurgeh into accepting the offer and insisting that Mawhrin-Skel be admitted back into Special Circumstances as well.

Gurgeh spends the next two years travelling to the Empire of Azad in the Small Magellanic Cloud, where a complex game (also named Azad) is used to determine social rank and political status. The game itself is sufficiently subtle and complex that a player's tactics reflect his own political and philosophical outlook. By the time he arrives, he has grasped the game but is unsure how he will measure up against opponents who have been studying it for their entire lives.

Gurgeh lands on the Empire's home planet of Eä, accompanied by another drone, Flere-Imsaho. As a Culture citizen, he naturally plays with a style markedly different from his opponents, many of whom stack the odds against him one way or another, such as forming backroom agreements to cooperate against him (which is allowed by the game's rules). As he advances through the tournament he is matched against increasingly powerful Azad politicians, and ultimately the Emperor himself in the final round. The final contests take place on Echronedal, the Fire Planet, which undergoes a natural conflagration fueled by native plants that produce huge amounts of oxygen. The final game is timed to end when the flames engulf the castle where the event takes place, symbolically renewing the Empire by fire. However, faced with defeat, the Emperor orders his men to kill all the spectators, and then attempts to kill Gurgeh, but he is himself killed by a shot from his own weapon, deflected by Flere-Imsaho (who later refuses to tell Gurgeh if it was coincidental).

Flere-Imsaho reveals that Gurgeh's participation was part of a Culture plot to overthrow the corrupt and savage Empire from within, and that he, the player, was in fact a pawn in a much larger game. Although Gurgeh never discovers the whole truth, in the final sentences of the novel the narrator is revealed to be Flere-Imsaho, who had been disguised as Mawhrin-Skel to manipulate Gurgeh into taking part in the game.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Stein/Putie 2020–????

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

lmao how is this real

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

etalian posted:

Jernau Morat Gurgeh, a famously skillful player of board games and other similar contests, lives on Chiark Orbital, and is bored with his successful life. The Culture's Special Circumstances inquires about his willingness to participate in a long journey, though won't explain further unless Gurgeh agrees to participate. While he is considering this offer, one of his drone friends, Mawhrin-Skel, which had been ejected from Special Circumstances due to its unstable personality, convinces him to cheat in one of his matches in an attempt to win in an unprecedented perfect fashion. The attempt fails, but Mawhrin-Skel uses its recording of the event to blackmail Gurgeh into accepting the offer and insisting that Mawhrin-Skel be admitted back into Special Circumstances as well.

Gurgeh spends the next two years travelling to the Empire of Azad in the Small Magellanic Cloud, where a complex game (also named Azad) is used to determine social rank and political status. The game itself is sufficiently subtle and complex that a player's tactics reflect his own political and philosophical outlook. By the time he arrives, he has grasped the game but is unsure how he will measure up against opponents who have been studying it for their entire lives.

Gurgeh lands on the Empire's home planet of Eä, accompanied by another drone, Flere-Imsaho. As a Culture citizen, he naturally plays with a style markedly different from his opponents, many of whom stack the odds against him one way or another, such as forming backroom agreements to cooperate against him (which is allowed by the game's rules). As he advances through the tournament he is matched against increasingly powerful Azad politicians, and ultimately the Emperor himself in the final round. The final contests take place on Echronedal, the Fire Planet, which undergoes a natural conflagration fueled by native plants that produce huge amounts of oxygen. The final game is timed to end when the flames engulf the castle where the event takes place, symbolically renewing the Empire by fire. However, faced with defeat, the Emperor orders his men to kill all the spectators, and then attempts to kill Gurgeh, but he is himself killed by a shot from his own weapon, deflected by Flere-Imsaho (who later refuses to tell Gurgeh if it was coincidental).

Flere-Imsaho reveals that Gurgeh's participation was part of a Culture plot to overthrow the corrupt and savage Empire from within, and that he, the player, was in fact a pawn in a much larger game. Although Gurgeh never discovers the whole truth, in the final sentences of the novel the narrator is revealed to be Flere-Imsaho, who had been disguised as Mawhrin-Skel to manipulate Gurgeh into taking part in the game.

Isn't this basically Yu-Gi-Oh! In SPACE

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Gurgeh/Deez Nuts 2020

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/889142106513698818

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

not gonna be left wing breitbart for real until one of these guys dies of cocaine induced heart failure

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Yinlock posted:

i like to do both those things!!!

rude, you 🥀!

except they're defending the status quo, they dont want to change the world

bold move by joy to admit she's an enemy of justice

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 18 days!)

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i can see how zuck would relate with the main character (gurgeh) who is a bored guy, and who is basically uber-rich since he lives in a full-automated post-scarcity economy with unlimited resources.

then he leaves it for adventure which ends up, spoiler alert, destroying a society by becoming its emperor though mastery of political game-playing

That's not actually what happens.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lmao, I like this overused argument, you must leave corporation loving centrist in power or the right will win!

quote:

If Chapo Trap House and its political brethren are the rising stars of Democratic politics, they bring anxiety with them. The battle within party could echo the fights of the 60s, which pitted the New Left against cold war liberalism, contributed to the chaos of the 1968 convention and helped open a divide that ushered in nearly a decade of conservative government.

“The fear is we’re going to do ’68 over again and that’s the argument the Clintonists will make,” Mason said. “That a battle within the Democratic party will help elect a conservative militia that will then, despite being a sociological minority, craft the institutions so they can remain a political majority.”

Dishonest failed bad dems had their chance but now must be removed from power.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

:popeye:

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
:psyboom:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Inescapable Duck posted:

Isn't this basically Yu-Gi-Oh! In SPACE

The Game of Azad is really a metaphor for meritocracy, and like real life "meritocracies" it relies on a lot of hypocrisies and institutional bias to maintain the dominance of the empire and its ruling classes, including racial prejudice against non-Azadians despite nominally being a game that anybody could participate in.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Because calling your congressman is so 20th century.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The Game of Azad is really a metaphor for meritocracy, and like real life "meritocracies" it relies on a lot of hypocrisies and institutional bias to maintain the dominance of the empire and its ruling classes, including racial prejudice against non-Azadians despite nominally being a game that anybody could participate in.

So pretty much, yeah. If you're not an eccentric dragon-obsessed billionaire, some degree of magically empowered maniacal supervillain, the literal maker of the game or possessed by an ancient ghost who has the superpower of cheating, you ain't winning poo poo no matter how good you are and how much you talk about friendship.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i can see how zuck would relate with the main character (gurgeh) who is a bored guy, and who is basically uber-rich since he lives in a full-automated post-scarcity economy with unlimited resources.

then he leaves it for adventure which ends up, spoiler alert, destroying a society by becoming its emperor though mastery of political game-playing

it was a bad society

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

This is actually a good article

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Venom Snake posted:

This is actually a good article

i've never seen an instance of an otherwise reasonable article being given an inflammatory or provocative headline, having lived my entire life up to this moment in a damp, lightless cave

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Inescapable Duck posted:

So pretty much, yeah. If you're not an eccentric dragon-obsessed billionaire, some degree of magically empowered maniacal supervillain, the literal maker of the game or possessed by an ancient ghost who has the superpower of cheating, you ain't winning poo poo no matter how good you are and how much you talk about friendship.

The climax of Player of Games is a really cool sequence that deals directly with this, because Gurgeh plays against the Emperor the way that the Culture would organize its strategies fighting another space empire. He becomes crestfallen once he realizes that it's impossible for the Emperor to win, because the machine minds who run The Culture had already gamed out the probability of Gurgeh winning the tournament, and practically knew in advance that he would win. The reality was that from the beginning, there was never a contest.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

this huckster should be pelted with rotten fruits

quote:

The phrase “bend the knee”, a historical gesture of deference, was interpreted by some critics’ terms of gender and identity politics – realms into which Chapo hosts often throw grenades.

“Bend the knee gets read as a sexual reference,” the New York magazine and All the Single Ladies author Rebecca Traister wrote in an email quoted by the New Republic. “Not because people think it is literally about sex, but because it conveys a hunger for dominance and submission, which is very quickly heard as gendered and sexual.”

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The New York senator said the new Democratic agenda, set to be unveiled on Monday, would include proposals to "just go after these drug companies when they raise prices so egregiously and people can't afford these drugs" and a plan to "change the way companies can merge," mentioning the cable, airline and gas industries.

flashback:

Question: On the Amendment (Dorgan Amdt. No. 2793 )
Vote Number: 377 Vote Date: December 15, 2009, 06:45 PM
Required For Majority: 3/5 Vote Result: Amendment Rejected
Amendment Number: S.Amdt. 2793 to S.Amdt. 2786 to H.R. 3590 (Service Members Home Ownership Tax Act of 2009)
Statement of Purpose: To provide for the importation of prescription drugs.
Vote Counts: YEAs51
NAYs48

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Willa Rogers posted:

The New York senator said the new Democratic agenda, set to be unveiled on Monday, would include proposals to "just go after these drug companies when they raise prices so egregiously and people can't afford these drugs" and a plan to "change the way companies can merge," mentioning the cable, airline and gas industries.

flashback:

Question: On the Amendment (Dorgan Amdt. No. 2793 )
Vote Number: 377 Vote Date: December 15, 2009, 06:45 PM
Required For Majority: 3/5 Vote Result: Amendment Rejected
Amendment Number: S.Amdt. 2793 to S.Amdt. 2786 to H.R. 3590 (Service Members Home Ownership Tax Act of 2009)
Statement of Purpose: To provide for the importation of prescription drugs.
Vote Counts: YEAs51
NAYs48

A lot has changed since 2009; and I'm only saying that because chuck at the very least seems to realize that the party is going to get hosed if it doesn't wake up

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

SKULL.GIF posted:

how dare the guardian publish criticism of My Perfect Chapo Boys

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fallen Hamprince posted:

He was referring to the quoted person from All The Single Ladies I think

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Venom Snake posted:

A lot has changed since 2009; and I'm only saying that because chuck at the very least seems to realize that the party is going to get hosed if it doesn't wake up

Schumer could also simply be stating the obvious so that he doesn't get primaried, while not seriously pursuing anything resembling justice.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Bend the knee gets read as an ableist reference, further revealing the Chapo Trap House dirtbags as these who would spit upon the less-advantaged of us. Shame on them!

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Venom Snake posted:

what *hasn't* changed is the dems' willingness to promote popular public policy only when they're out of any kind of power to pass it. And their recruitment of blue dogs for 2018 ensures that these proposals will never ever come to pass even if dems retake congress.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
ah yes slightly tightening up regulations on the mergers of mega-corps. this will surely drive people to vote for us

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
the clinton/obama wing needs to get on their knees and suck bernie's dick

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

When confronted by the left bad dems accuse reformersof sexist or racist behavior

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
also amusing is chuck's statement that single payer is "on the table" rather than an integral part of tomorrow's policy release

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006

Fallen Hamprince posted:

i've never seen an instance of an otherwise reasonable article being given an inflammatory or provocative headline, having lived my entire life up to this moment in a damp, lightless cave

death to all headline writers imo

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Raskolnikov38 posted:

also amusing is chuck's statement that single payer is "on the table" rather than an integral part of tomorrow's policy release

That's what Eddie Huang is gonna stuff his face with at OZY.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fallen Hamprince posted:

Another great joke from the hampurse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Schumer could also simply be stating the obvious so that he doesn't get primaried, while not seriously pursuing anything resembling justice.

You could very well be correct but for some as previously indebted to wall street to be saying these things really does show fear of the left (where previously it had been the other way around). Idk thats just my "endless optimist" take

• Locked thread