Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

So does nobody really play Fractured Space any more? I never really played that much but now whenever I do I'm frequently getting 13+ kills and usually less than 2 deaths and rarely seeing similar numbers from anyone else. Did all the decent players gently caress off to Dreadnought or something?

Not that I'm complaining, mind. It's easy money.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jul 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

sebmojo posted:

Yeah, agreed. Syndicate is one of the best and most plausibly chilling renditions of cyberpunk in videogame form imo, largely by retaining the icy lack of empathy from the original Bullfrog game.
"Civ casualties are a non-issue"

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

StrixNebulosa posted:

Please, please report this to the dev. He's been working super hard on bugfixes - and has noted that he'll add an autosave at some point.

As for saving midgame you can save/quit to title, then load back up, I think.

I'll fill in the dev if there is a log I can pass along, as I want this game to succeed. I could see no way to quit to title either, but to be fair it was 1:00 AM and I was half drunk so that's probably on me.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Ragequit posted:

I'll fill in the dev if there is a log I can pass along, as I want this game to succeed. I could see no way to quit to title either, but to be fair it was 1:00 AM and I was half drunk so that's probably on me.

escape, then the cogwheel, and then it should be on the bottom right side if memory serves correctly. It IS a bit hidden away.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
In not shocking, but definitely welcome news, Nihon Falcom (aka the Ys dudes) want to put all their games on Steam.

quote:

We have no hesitation about releasing games on Steam. Rather, given that we don’t have a large staff, we mainly have to rely [on] partners to help us realize a PC port. When we first started releasing games on Steam, we were initially unsure of whether or not players would want to play our older games. However, as we gradually released games on Steam and saw the very positive reaction that was much greater than we expected, we feel like we want all of our games that come out to [release] on Steam.

It's been great to see a resurgence in Japanese developers targeting PC in recent years. Lots of cool stuff falling out of it.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Soho Joe posted:

I'm gonna finish 100%ing Hollow Knight today, but what will scratch my exploration itch next?? I've played La-Mulana and Cave Story, and Steam is suggesting Rain World, Dust, and the Ori re-release.

Rabi Ribi and Momodora: Reverie. Rabi Ribi knows its strong point is its bossfights and has tons of them but I didn't think world exploration was as strong as the competition as a casual player. Apparently you can do crazy low percent stuff like beating the whole game without grabbing your starting weapon though so if you get into the hardcore challengerun stuff it should be up your alley. (Also, the boss fights are really good.)

Momodora is just an all around really nice Metroidvania with cool atmosphere, bosses and exploration.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I just want M2 to release the Battle Garegga port and the visual novel that teaches you how to play Dangun Feveron on Steam.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Yami Fenrir posted:

escape, then the cogwheel, and then it should be on the bottom right side if memory serves correctly. It IS a bit hidden away.

Escape was the first thing I hit but it unfortunately did nothing, which was surprising. I suppose that was one of the side effects of whatever broke and caused the crash shortly thereafter. I'll give it another shot today.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I played a demo for DOOM around the time it launched and it was fun but didn't grab me. I'm playing it again this weekend for free and it's still not grabbing me. It's excellent when I'm shooting demons, but the moment that stops and I gotta hunt down a card or figure out how to access a secret because my upgrades are contingent on them, the pacing goes to hell for me. If this was a game like Deus Ex or Dishonored I'd be totally cool with secret hunting, but I'm not enjoying DOOM because of the secret hunting. Does the game get any better as it progresses? I think I'm still in the second area, for reference I recently picked up a heavy machine gun.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Wildtortilla posted:

I played a demo for DOOM around the time it launched and it was fun but didn't grab me. I'm playing it again this weekend for free and it's still not grabbing me. It's excellent when I'm shooting demons, but the moment that stops and I gotta hunt down a card or figure out how to access a secret because my upgrades are contingent on them, the pacing goes to hell for me. If this was a game like Deus Ex or Dishonored I'd be totally cool with secret hunting, but I'm not enjoying DOOM because of the secret hunting. Does the game get any better as it progresses? I think I'm still in the second area, for reference I recently picked up a heavy machine gun.

I dunno man, new Doom never grabbed me either and I should be right in it's jam. I'm glad everyone else seems to enjoy it though!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I bounced off it a bit too but I started it like a day after I finished Titanfall 2, and that's the kind of game that left me wanting more so I just decided to give it some time before trying it again.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Wildtortilla posted:

The game gets way better the further you go in since you get a lot of weapons to play with, more enemies and you get stronger. But if it's not doing at the start for you, it may not be your game, it's completely fine and it's better to play games that hook you from the start because otherwise you get burned.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

It's particularly cool because Nihon Falcom has been a secret of RPG fandom for a long time abroad, being one of the three most influential JRPG developers (along with what was once Square and Enix), but haven't often gotten English translations until recently (a lot of the older ones are pretty bad translations, to boot). So it's great to see them enthusiastic towards getting the games out to us.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Wildtortilla posted:

The moment you start getting more options (Weapons) and the double jump, the game takes off I think. In fact, I didn't go secret hunting UNTIL you got the double jump boots, you can always go back to the stages with everything you earned.

Also this is just a matter of taste, but I always play with the weapon on the center of the screen because 1)It's loving doom and 2) it feels like I can identify and murder poo poo much quicker by being able to see my left and right clearly.

I played it on a high difficulty and moving as quickly as possible, just like arcade mode, and this game singlehandedly reignited my interest in first person shooters.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Wildtortilla posted:

Don't bother with the secrets too much. You get somewhat more powerful, but it's not a gamechanger. They're there if you want them.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Orv posted:

Maybe someone in here knows, is Planetoid Pioneers Cortex Command but not garbage?

It's an early access game in all but name. It predates that system but it's the perfect example of an over promised EA scam

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Although I enjoyed secret hunting, I wouldn't recommend you try to get everything first time around. It really kills the pacing and you get a lot of upgrades that make the process way easier later on. If you enjoy the base gunplay, just keep at it and don't obsess over getting everything.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

DisDisDis posted:

Rabi Ribi and Momodora: Reverie. Rabi Ribi knows its strong point is its bossfights and has tons of them but I didn't think world exploration was as strong as the competition as a casual player. Apparently you can do crazy low percent stuff like beating the whole game without grabbing your starting weapon though so if you get into the hardcore challengerun stuff it should be up your alley. (Also, the boss fights are really good.)

Momodora is just an all around really nice Metroidvania with cool atmosphere, bosses and exploration.

I won't buy momodora cause rdein is a creepy sex pervert

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

corn in the bible posted:

you've said this multiple times in the past

elaborate please

Orv
May 4, 2011

It's an early access game in all but name. It predates that system but it's the perfect example of an over promised EA scam

Are you sure you're not thinking of Edge of Space? Planetoid Pioneers got Kickstarted last year, I'm pretty sure, and then went into EA.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Cortex Command or Planetoid Pioneers?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

General Morden posted:

elaborate please

His shitpost made me learn rdein is a compatriot, so that's cool. His Twitter is pretty sedate for a creepy sex pervert, but maybe game recognize game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Cortex Command or Planetoid Pioneers?

I though he was asking if Cortex Command was not garbage. Poor reading comprehension, sorry

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 23, 2017

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

General Morden posted:

elaborate please

We used to hang out in the same game devs ircs and stuff back in the day and he was all about the weird underage fanservice animes and stuff like that

Orv
May 4, 2011

Is there a new game called Cortex Command now? I didn't know that and if so I have no idea how it is

I guess that was a weird way to phrase it because Proper Noun Proper Noun. There's a game called Planetoid Pioneers which seems like a similarly physics-driven 2D shooter thing, in the vein of Cortex Command, and I was wondering if, unlike Cortex Command, it wasn't garbage.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Is there a new game called Cortex Command now? I didn't know that and if so I have no idea how it is

No, Cortex Command is the old one that was in Humble Indie Bundle 3, Planetoid Pioneers is a new game Orv was comparing it to.

e: beaten by orv

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's particularly cool because Nihon Falcom has been a secret of RPG fandom for a long time abroad, being one of the three most influential JRPG developers (along with what was once Square and Enix), but haven't often gotten English translations until recently (a lot of the older ones are pretty bad translations, to boot). So it's great to see them enthusiastic towards getting the games out to us.

They always used to be a home computer developer; most of their games were PC-only or PC-first at least as late as the early-to-mid 2000s. (Trails FC, for instance, was on the PC for at least two years before the PSP port came out.) If anything, as a longtime series fan, Ys VII going console exclusive felt like a betrayal (to put it perhaps somewhat over-dramatically).

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Thanks for the input on DOOM. I think I'm going to pass. I had planned on getting DOOM at some point this year but Baldirs Gate has really consumed me and I think I'm set for a long time with BG1, SOD, and BG2. After that I may take the money I was planning to spend on DOOM and reallocate it to Prey. Prey wasn't even on my radar as a tiny blip when I made my 2017 Game Budget.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Wildtortilla posted:

Thanks for the input on DOOM. I think I'm going to pass. I had planned on getting DOOM at some point this year but Baldirs Gate has really consumed me and I think I'm set for a long time with BG1, SOD, and BG2. After that I may take the money I was planning to spend on DOOM and reallocate it to Prey. Prey wasn't even on my radar as a tiny blip when I made my 2017 Game Budget.

Prey is very good. Very very good.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Just noticed the big Warhams sale, got some Warham questions:

- Deathwing. Looked cool but apparently was a disaster at release. How is it now? The reviews seems to imply its a lot better but is it any good? Also, is it meant to be played like L4D or can it be enjoyed solo?

- Battlefleet Gothic. Probably never going to touch multiplayer, so I guess I don't need any DLC. Is the singleplayer worth it?

- Mordheim. I've bounced back and forth on this one for a while. How punishing is the RNG exactly?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Orv posted:

I guess that was a weird way to phrase it because Proper Noun Proper Noun. There's a game called Planetoid Pioneers which seems like a similarly physics-driven 2D shooter thing, in the vein of Cortex Command, and I was wondering if, unlike Cortex Command, it wasn't garbage.

It's made by the same people. The dev talking in the "yeah we really hosed up release but it's all good now I swear" cortex command video is even wearing a planetoid pioneers shirt.

I only checked because the planetoid pioneers video gave me major deja vu.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Soho Joe posted:

I'm gonna finish 100%ing Hollow Knight today, but what will scratch my exploration itch next?? I've played La-Mulana and Cave Story, and Steam is suggesting Rain World, Dust, and the Ori re-release.

Hyper Light Drifter. It's a Zelda-ish instead of a metroidvania, I know, but it's so so so good and it nails the exploration and puzzle mechanics of metroidvanias even if it doesn't have platforming.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

thark posted:

They always used to be a home computer developer; most of their games were PC-only or PC-first at least as late as the early-to-mid 2000s. (Trails FC, for instance, was on the PC for at least two years before the PSP port came out.) If anything, as a longtime series fan, Ys VII going console exclusive felt like a betrayal (to put it perhaps somewhat over-dramatically).

I'm just talking about more enthusiasm for localizations, I know they've been on PC for awhile.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Wildtortilla posted:

Just don't go hunting for secrets :shrug: I ended up cheating for upgrade points because I couldn't be bothered and all I wanted to do was shoot demons, I don't even like environment exploration in games like Deus Ex or Dishonored.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I did Doom without secret hunting then if I got annoyed with a fight or section I'd go back and do a level with a walkthrough. It worked pretty well. I think I ended up replaying most of the levels twice.

Then I'd be warmed up and get through the section I was struggling on. I'm poo poo at shooters now though.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

That's too bad, it is a pretty good game

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
what a shame

i wouldn't want to financially support a creepy sex pervert

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
*furiously preorders several copies of Grimoire because*

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

there are 3 videos on the pyre store page and none of them show gameplay in more then ~2 second clips. is it a fantasy basketball game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

thark posted:

To be fair, Zwei! 2 sold so badly that their distributor dropped them and they had to abandon the PC market and move to handhelds and consoles to survive, because nobody gives a poo poo about PC games in Japan unless they are weird porn games and Steam is a minor novelty over there.

It's kind of telling that it's just the Chinese and Western markets which are getting PC ports of Falcom games but the PC ports aren't being released in Japan.

Edit: It probably won't but I hope XSEED's localization of Zwei! 2 sells a decent enough amount and vindicate it.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 23, 2017

• Locked thread