Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

DEFCON is one of the few multiplayer games thats better without Voip chat.
The weird overlay graphic between Australia & South America in DEFCON has always confused me,
and the game manual explains......dick about that overlay.

Is Discord super-critical for playing with gip?
Gonna be honest, haven't used Discord at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
not critical but it is nice for communications though.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

DEFCON is one of the few multiplayer games thats better without Voip chat.

paranoia: the game

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

I know quite a few hours of that was afk while running factories in X3 overnight.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

you got me extremely excited then extremely sad

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jlQbAKsLJc

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

ded posted:

I know quite a few hours of that was afk while running factories in X3 overnight.
Well, that's pretty much a requirement once you're at that stage. How else is one's inept freighter fleet supposed to ascend the mountain of mediocrity and reach for the stars of serviceability?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Elmags stop posting anime please

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I don't think I ever actually used the Revenant in Mass Effect 2 before. That was a mistake.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

ElMaligno posted:

you got me extremely excited then extremely sad

There actually is a Paranoia multiplayer client out in the wild, java based or something.
Think of a IRC overlay with separate dedicated chat-channels so you can NARC..uh, confess to friend COMPUTER at will.
One person plays as Friend COMPUTER/the GM, the other people are the victims..cough..Alpha complex troubleshooting team.
Friend COMPUTER posts in the client may or may not auto delete, and/or may or may not be procedurally generated.
Combat may or may not trigger that Star Trek fight song. https://youtu.be/Ml4wAnvfM4M?t=33s

GiP Paranoia with that client would be amazing, hail friend COMPUTER.
That Paranoia multiplayer client + VOIP would be horrible however.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Missionary Positron posted:

Already posted but ok:

EDIT: Also, according to my SteamID I was the 26 704th person to register a Steam account:smugdog:

If I read mine right - I guess I was 5262nd person to sign up for steam.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Yeah, well I signed up for ICQ when IDs were still seven digits, WHAT'S UP NOW

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'm still trying to figure out how I played 380 hours of Naval Action.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Same. I forgot it a long time ago and the last time I used it was like circa 2001~.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

TCD posted:

If I read mine right - I guess I was 5262nd person to sign up for steam.

I have been brutally owned :(

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I don't remember my ICQ but I'm pretty sure if I had a num pad handy I could bang it out

Oh Ultima Online

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jul 24, 2017

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Duzzy Funlop posted:

6 digit ICQ

GET OUT

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

You're a loving dead man.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Is that a wee bit too accurate of a portrayal?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Naked Bear posted:

Is that a wee bit too accurate of a portrayal?

nationality

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Two Finger posted:

nationality

they're both islands full of british criminals, what's the difference

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Proud Christian Mom posted:

6 digit ICQ

GET OUT

SHENANIGANS!!!

I HEREBY SUBMIT A MOTION OF 'SHENANIGANS', You're full of schnitzengiggel, you pooplord!

(jokes aside, I don't know a single person with a 6 digit icq number, not that this would be a surprise considering the earliness

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

tastefully arranged labia posted:

they're both islands full of british criminals, what's the difference

:boom:

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Oh Ultimate Online

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I still love that ultima online keeps being remade and keeps being lovely because no one understands the internet and games have changed since then

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Third World Reggin posted:

I still love that ultima online keeps being remade and keeps being lovely because no one understands the internet and games have changed since then

Closest thing I've seen to old school UO working recently was some of the minecraft servers where goons were doing poo poo like building airplanes to fly into hotels, only to be beaten by another degenerate with a bunch of tnt. Oh and don't forget that everyone who wants to make a game with a UO ruleset keeps throwing every other bad decision games have made since then, like a hardon for permadeath, stat loss or horrible grinds. I just wanna kill a dude and turn him into jerky and wear his skull as a hat, is that too much to ask?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Oh, please, they're practically the same thing!

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Knife Crime Island

Sheep Crime Island

eh.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Vasudus posted:

Knife Crime Island

Sheep Crime Island

Bah.

Fixed

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Steezo posted:

Closest thing I've seen to old school UO working recently was some of the minecraft servers where goons were doing poo poo like building airplanes to fly into hotels, only to be beaten by another degenerate with a bunch of tnt. Oh and don't forget that everyone who wants to make a game with a UO ruleset keeps throwing every other bad decision games have made since then, like a hardon for permadeath, stat loss or horrible grinds. I just wanna kill a dude and turn him into jerky and wear his skull as a hat, is that too much to ask?

the open world MMO genre is dead

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Reverand maynard posted:

the open world MMO genre is dead

Okay what kickstarter is this because I want to laugh at it some more

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Steezo posted:

I can't tell if you liked or disliked UO from this post.

Because UO owned. Started playing in 98, and there was so much classic and stupid fun to be had.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

UO was amazing and idk how nothing has even gotten close to scratching that itch. I'd probably still play it if they didn't ruin the game long ago

It was mentioned already but games always try to take bits and pieces from UO but keep the annoying poo poo no one wants then unsurprisingly it fails

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

UO was amazing and idk how nothing has even gotten close to scratching that itch. I'd probably still play it if they didn't ruin the game long ago

It was mentioned already but games always try to take bits and pieces from UO but keep the annoying poo poo no one wants then unsurprisingly it fails

Because an essentially hardcore 24/7 MMO is niche as hell these days and they'd rather take a gamble on WoW level riches.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

You just make a trammel/safe area 🤷🏽‍♀️

But yeah I'll agree it is niche. I can't really think of any successful MMOs though. So many have come and gone.

WOW and Final Fantasy XIV?

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Eve online.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Mike-o posted:

Eve online.

And Eve, for all if it's many faults, does hit one note that UO thrived on, namely letting players completely gently caress with each other in null space. Letting players wage war with consequences rather than engage in meaningless slapfights will draw in more than a small niche. It's still hard to draw an entrenched playerbase away to your new game, but not impossible.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

http://www.imanewbie.com/

seriously i can't believe this is still up, i was reading this poo poo when i was in high school

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

You just make a trammel/safe area 🤷🏽‍♀️

But yeah I'll agree it is niche. I can't really think of any successful MMOs though. So many have come and gone.

WOW and Final Fantasy XIV?

Isn't SW:TOR doing relatively well, too?