Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Not sure if this belongs in this thread or somewhere in the SH/HC forum, but XIV is like the only PC game I've been playing lately so it feels relevant to here. I'm playing at 2560x1440 on a 144 Hz g-sync monitor with a Core i5-6500 and a GTX 1080 Ti, at maximum settings, and I get like 50fps in Kugane or Quarrymill with the GPU pegged out at 99% usage but the CPU is just hanging out around 50% (tanked to below 30fps during an S-Rank in the Lochs earlier today). I get around 90fps in dungeons, and was seeing around 120fps in O3 tonight. Being an MMO, shouldn't those usages be swapped? I can't imagine this game is enough to legitimately max out a 1080 Ti, but not fully utilize a mid-tier quad-core CPU.

Again let me know if I need to take this elsewhere, but any insight into what the gently caress is up with this would be helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The only reason they were needed in WoW was cuz the WoW default UI was so bad, (and it's improved alot since 2004) something like DBM I'm totally fine with never coming to this game though just because of the way it forces the devs to design raid fights around it.

And I would argue that as serviceable as the FFXIV UI is, it is not yet "good".

At minimum, my wishlist includes:

* UI layers. Being able to put conclusively put things to overlay on top of other things, instead of having everything restack itself upon zoning. This is a problem I have with trying to layer Beast Gauge over a WAR's completely unused MP bar. Sometimes it'll be on top, sometimes on bottom.
* Minimal UI elements. I don't need the HP/MP/TP bars as large as they are, I just need three short little bars that could even be stacked up on top of eachother, thanks. And I don't need a pair of giant axes or horns to remind me what stance I'm in. Same goes for target HP bars.
* Replacement UI elements: Off the top of my head, NIN, WAR, MNK, DRG, and SAM do not have any interactions whatsoever with their MP bars. Conversely, BLM, SMN, SCH, and AST have no interactions with their TP bars. Why not use the space being taken up by an un-used bar to do their class gauge thing instead?
* Being able to change more settings through command line. My personal use case would be to have a macro that cranks sound effects up, and mute everything else while I'm fishing, and setting everything back to normal, instead of having to do that manually every time.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I've played WoW since 2004 and literally never seen this insane strawman poo poo that people think will happen if mods ever came into being.

In vanilla and TBC, a threat mod was fairly essential. When the author of the most popular threat mod at the time pushed an update on day 1 of Hyjal, raiding practically ground to a halt due to a last minute bug that just spammed people into disconnecting.

Feels like a lifetime ago, no idea what year anymore.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rascyc posted:

on day 1 of Hyjal, raiding practically ground to a halt due to a last minute bug.

I wonder if in 10 years MMO greybeards will be talking about Raubahn (Savage)

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I don't really care about UI mods but why would something entirely optional be a bad thing?

it's a big can of worms. blizzard started recently stripping API functionality out of the game because they had no good way to design fight mechanics where they couldn't be trivialized by how advanced API modding was getting. literally, addons would pull up little 2 dimensional maps or fight mechanics and tell you and everyone else in the raid exactly where to stand.

If they can limit it to things that just enhance UI or let you play with a layout that looks better, sure. But making boss fights 'easier' by enabling boss mods does make fights easier and pressure the devs to make fight harder or to telegraph less information. that's something 14's fights do really well already and I'd rather not see it gone!!

basically players are poo poo and should never be trusted with anything

Minera fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 24, 2017

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Yo, remember gearscore?

gently caress mods.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I don't, please tell me about Gearscore.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah it's a good thing we don't have anything in this game that restricts your access to duties based on your average item level, or any way for players to see others' item levels.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Minrad posted:

it's a big can of worms. blizzard started recently stripping API functionality out of the game because they had no good way to design fight mechanics where they couldn't be trivialized by how advanced API modding was getting. literally, addons would pull up little 2 dimensional maps or fight mechanics and tell you and everyone else in the raid exactly where to stand.

If they can limit it to things that just enhance UI or let you play with a layout that looks better, sure. But making boss fights 'easier' by enabling boss mods does make fights easier and pressure the devs to make fight harder or to telegraph less information. that's something 14's fights do really well already and I'd rather not see it gone!!

basically players are poo poo and should never be trusted with anything

This a thousand times. gently caress mods, gently caress needing to (at best) spend more time updating/replacing mods than I do patching the base game, gently caress the lovely subculture that enables reductive analysis of skill. FFXIV's UI could use a couple more components and improve a few others, but the default UI is significantly better than WoW's and it's perfectly adequate for most situations.

*edit -

EponymousMrYar posted:

Being able to have elements be freely moved about, turned on/off as needed and some elements resized to suit individuals taste is like, 95% of what I want out of customizing a UI. Some better conveying of information (enmity stuff) is pretty much the main thing holding it back from being perfect.

And that was before they added the class bars! (which need a bit more work yeah but it moved some info off of the buff/debuff bar so that's nice.)

Same.

isk fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jul 24, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Countblanc posted:

iLvl's before iLvl's, complete with people requiring an iLvl/gearscore that can only be had by completing the content they were looking for people to do.
Also the criteria kept changing on what calculated as what gearscore.

isk posted:

This a thousand times. gently caress mods, gently caress needing to (at best) spend more time updating/replacing mods than I do patching the base game, gently caress the lovely subculture that enables reductive analysis of skill. FFXIV's UI could use a couple more components and improve a few others, but the default UI is significantly better than WoW's and it's perfectly adequate for most situations.

Being able to have elements be freely moved about, turned on/off as needed and some elements resized to suit individuals taste is like, 95% of what I want out of customizing a UI. Some better conveying of information (enmity stuff) is pretty much the main thing holding it back from being perfect.

And that was before they added the class bars! (which need a bit more work yeah but it moved some info off of the buff/debuff bar so that's nice.)

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jul 24, 2017

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
On a completely different note, I just did the Real Escape Trials of Bahamut puzzle today. Anybody in a city that it's heading to, I highly recommend it! Apparently my team set the record for fastest completion at 34 minutes

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

SKULL.GIF posted:

I cleared the Fringes sidequests today.

TIL "Tia" literally means beta male and lmao at all these catboys.

I will never find it not funny that Tia and Nunh are in the random name list for sun catboys given the lore meaning of the words.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I feel like they should just outright poach the ideas behind the new Bard for Machinist, with a rotation that slightly alters every 30-40 seconds as you engage new mechanics.

Start out with engaging gauss barrel for some span of 30 seconds and doing some high direct damage rotation where your goal is to overheat in the last few seconds to go into overheat for an extra 10 seconds. After that Wildfire gets applied to the mob and some special ogcd spell unlocks for the duration (rapid fire?) to ramp it up to a big explosion. After that, you throw out a short lived turret and maybe directly engage with it in some way, like having Richochet bounce between the turret and enemy mobs for high single target damage, so it feels like it's out there doing something you directly influence. Then you overheat the turret just before its brief cooldown runs out and you go back to Gauss Barrel.

At least, that's my idea after seeing how unhappy people are with the general mch playstyle now and not so much the damage numbers.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Thundarr posted:

I will never find it not funny that Tia and Nunh are in the random name list for sun catboys given the lore meaning of the words.

They're not just in the random name list, they ARE the random name list. It's literally just Tia and Nunh.

Although Nunh shouldn't even be an option for players.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Fister Roboto posted:

They're not just in the random name list, they ARE the random name list. It's literally just Tia and Nunh.

That's even more wonderful than I realized. :allears:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Countblanc posted:

Gearscore was a saga that cannot be repeated in just a forum post. Essentially, though, for about 3/4ths of wotlk the pub raiding playerbase of wow that had just formed because of the ease of raiding access lost they got drat minds.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

And I would argue that as serviceable as the FFXIV UI is, it is not yet "good".

At minimum, my wishlist includes:

* UI layers. Being able to put conclusively put things to overlay on top of other things, instead of having everything restack itself upon zoning. This is a problem I have with trying to layer Beast Gauge over a WAR's completely unused MP bar. Sometimes it'll be on top, sometimes on bottom.
* Minimal UI elements. I don't need the HP/MP/TP bars as large as they are, I just need three short little bars that could even be stacked up on top of eachother, thanks. And I don't need a pair of giant axes or horns to remind me what stance I'm in. Same goes for target HP bars.
* Replacement UI elements: Off the top of my head, NIN, WAR, MNK, DRG, and SAM do not have any interactions whatsoever with their MP bars. Conversely, BLM, SMN, SCH, and AST have no interactions with their TP bars. Why not use the space being taken up by an un-used bar to do their class gauge thing instead?
* Being able to change more settings through command line. My personal use case would be to have a macro that cranks sound effects up, and mute everything else while I'm fishing, and setting everything back to normal, instead of having to do that manually every time.

While all of this is true, the main reason people are against mods in ffxiv is because of the unforseen problems, the biggest one being an arms race between developers and mod makers so that DBM becomes mandatory because the devs decide to make the mechanics so complex that they're still hard even with dbm telling you what to do. It's a poo poo slide all the way down.

I have no idea how flexible they can be with API and limiting what parts of the UI they could allow FFXIV modders to use, but to be honest, I don't think anyone would be happy with whatever they came up with. Modders tend to keep pushing for more and more access because they don't see the damage they're causing because they're not looking at overall game health, but how much they can do with the UI. It's probably for the best to just never do mods anyway, and as someone else said upthread, PS4 support means there will never be mods.

Fister Roboto posted:

I played on Draka, both before and after cross-server partying was a thing. If I ever got harassed for not having a mod, it wasn't significant enough to remember.

So I can respect you aren't lying, but neither are the rest of us. People were real poo poo about mods in certain groups, especially the wow equivalent of what we would call the midcore groups in ffxiv. Saying "but my experience was different!" doesn't somehow negate everyone else's experience, and it's the kind of thing you just don't want to happen to anyone ever. The price of mods is just too high to be worth it to bother.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Fister Roboto posted:

Maybe they just tell everyone they're a Nunh. :v:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

cheetah7071 posted:

On a completely different note, I just did the Real Escape Trials of Bahamut puzzle today. Anybody in a city that it's heading to, I highly recommend it! Apparently my team set the record for fastest completion at 34 minutes

what kind of puzzles are we talking about here

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Fister Roboto posted:

I mean I'm pretty sure there's more than 1300 Miqo'te, so there's probably more than one Nunh per tribe, or more than one tribe per letter. The naming conventions thing says that any Tia can become a Nunh if they can just convince a few members of the tribe to leave and join them in forming a new one.

Cirina fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jul 24, 2017

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Thundarr posted:

That's even more wonderful than I realized. :allears:

it's literally the only family names they have!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Blockhouse posted:

what kind of puzzles are we talking about here

It's a bunch of paper/logic/riddle puzzles.

My group was minutes away from finishing but failed because we had 4 randos that were really loving dumb and thus I had to basically handle everybody's puzzles.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Eopia posted:

I mean I'm pretty sure there's more than 1300 Miqo'te, so there's probably more than one Nunh per tribe, or more than one tribe per letter. The naming conventions thing says that any Tia can become a Nunh if they can just convince a few members of the tribe to leave and join them in forming a new one.

I forget, but aren't those offshoots still considered to be members of the [alphabet letter here] tribe/clan? Just a new branch/colony/whatever.

Bonus Trivia: Speaking of the tribes, every sun seeker tribe has representation in game, but only one tribe has a single (named) NPC that belongs to it. That being the Serving Wench at the Baderon's guild who is a member of the I tribe.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I forget, but aren't those offshoots still considered to be members of the [alphabet letter here] tribe/clan? Just a new branch/colony/whatever.

Bonus Trivia: Speaking of the tribes, every sun seeker tribe has representation in game, but only one tribe has a single (named) NPC that belongs to it. That being the Serving Wench at the Baderon's guild who is a member of the I tribe.

...The namings convention post doesn't say, and I'm not sure where to look in the lorebook but at a guess I'd say that's correct?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mordiceius posted:

My group was minutes away from finishing but failed because we had 4 randos that were really loving dumb and thus I had to basically handle everybody's puzzles.

It also had some surprising production values, with a cutscene playing on the projector that had the real voice actors for the city state leaders saying some stuff

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Mordiceius posted:

So they perfectly captured the classic FF14 duty finder experience, I see.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It was sort of infuriating how some of the stuff was laid out, though--like the people who designed it were familiar with final fantasy broadly, but had never played xiv and had only a few buzzwords from it they shoehorned in. So like, each player on a team picked a class which was relevant for puzzle, but the classes were Paladin, White Mage, Black Mage, Bard, Ranger, and Thief

The puzzles themselves were super fun so I'm willing to forgive that though

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Eopia posted:

I meant more that players shouldn't be allowed to have a title that says they get mad pussy.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

I meant more that players shouldn't be allowed to have a title that says they get mad pussy.

You can't really adventure and also be a Nunh anyways. You kind of have to... be with a tribe. So it's definitely just that character pretending they're one. Unless you get to keep the title if you leave without being deposed as Nunh. I don't know how that would work.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Obligatum VII posted:

You can't really adventure and also be a Nunh anyways. You kind of have to... be with a tribe. So it's definitely just that character pretending they're one. Unless you get to keep the title if you leave without being deposed as Nunh. I don't know how that would work.

stolen nunh valor

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Somewhere on Balmung there's a static that's 7 catgirls and a Nunh catboy, for the authentic Nunh roleplaying experience

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Fister Roboto posted:

Balmung.

They don't need the titles to tell everyone who they're banging (because they're banging everyone).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

*casually strolls into a bar* what up ladies, i'm a breeding male

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Pft, its all about the breeding catgirl futas.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Somewhere out there, there's a pack of catgirls trying to find their missing Nunh, who ran away for some reason.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Do suncats who have integrated into mixed race societies even follow the old rules on which males get to gently caress and which don't? For some reason I remember reading that it only matters in more traditional societies

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Hey guys what happening he-- :yikes:

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Xun posted:

Hey guys what happening he-- :yikes:

Don't judge the thread, judge Yoshi P and the writers for going into far more explicit detail than necessary on this matter.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Anyone know the approximate droprate of TT cards from dungeons?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Toshimo posted:

Anyone know the approximate droprate of TT cards from dungeons?

if Sohm Al is anything to judge things by for me, 0%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Do suncats who have integrated into mixed race societies even follow the old rules on which males get to gently caress and which don't? For some reason I remember reading that it only matters in more traditional societies

There's several male seeker npcs that reference how they like to hit on girls or be with girls or whatever, and there's at least a few female seekers who are involved in relationships that aren't with a nunh (usually with non-miqo'te because there's a grand total of like 12 catboy npcs in the game), so yeah it's safe to say that anyone not actively living in a tribe doesn't give a poo poo. So go nuts, catboy RPers! (not that canon has ever/ should ever matter in RP, anyway)