Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Jesus Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
While I'm glad to see you alive, Im kinda concerned that you look like one of the midway shots in a "faces of meth" poster.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Nine of Eight posted:

While I'm glad to see you alive, Im kinda concerned that you look like one of the midway shots in a "faces of meth" poster.

so, the same as always?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

the "Bad Decisions ITT" part of the thread title has returned

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

DICK DICER posted:

I want back in.

:sigh: I'll bet you do.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
crikey

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DICK DICER posted:

I want back in.

Hitchhike?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Rhyno posted:

Hitchhike?

There was a goon in the stupid questions thread that needs a car shipped from Seattle to Des Moines.
Valentine is about 6 hours from there according to google maps.

Apparently the car is in running condition.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
No driver's license

Tev
Aug 13, 2008

DICK DICER posted:

I want back in.

Hail Satan

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Well, that's great. That door was never really closed to you, and we can certainly use your help on getting this done. Also, having someone knowledgeable/dumb enough to work on split rims is always good to have :v:

So, if your serious about this, and want to get out of Seattle, a bus ticket is $150-200 depending on when you want to leave. It will only take you to North Platte though, which is about 2 hours away from Valentine. I'm not sure how you'd complete the journey, but maybe you can put some of your newly acquired hobo skills to work there. Other than that, I don't know how you could get out there. I'm assuming you don't have your cars anymore.

I don't know what your plan is, but, depending on certain other factors, I, and possibly some other people will be heading out in November-ish to get this done. If you want to start the party early though, that's even better.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

ExplodingSims posted:

Well, that's great. That door was never really closed to you, and we can certainly use your help on getting this done. Also, having someone knowledgeable/dumb enough to work on split rims is always good to have :v:

So, if your serious about this, and want to get out of Seattle, a bus ticket is $150-200 depending on when you want to leave. It will only take you to North Platte though, which is about 2 hours away from Valentine. I'm not sure how you'd complete the journey, but maybe you can put some of your newly acquired hobo skills to work there. Other than that, I don't know how you could get out there. I'm assuming you don't have your cars anymore.

I don't know what your plan is, but, depending on certain other factors, I, and possibly some other people will be heading out in November-ish to get this done. If you want to start the party early though, that's even better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-IkWpm7TS0

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

ExplodingSims posted:

you are a good person.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ExplodingSims posted:

Pretty sure he doesn't have any plans at this point, but if he does somehow make it there it will be by the grace of god.......Or satan.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Did I read that right you are waiting until November to work on your truck that is in the coldest place in the lower 48?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

It's not so bad. It's pretty much when we left last time. The first week of November.

I mean, we did get kinda lucky, since it was pretty warm. And also, thanks to work, it's pretty much the earliest I can get any kind of decent time off.

Yay blackout periods! :confoot:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
They removed :confoot: ?!@?!?!?! :stonk:

E: Pfew, no, it's just been changed to :confuoot:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Rime posted:

They removed :confoot: ?!@?!?!?! :stonk:

E: Pfew, no, it's just been changed to :confuoot:

:grovertoot: is the best toot, imo.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Huh. I never noticed that.

In that case:

Yay blackout periods! :confuoot:

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

:grovertoot: is the best toot, imo.

amazing, gonna start using this one.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Everyone I know who's used it even once (including myself) has never had a good experience with them. I'm sure it was great when it was the only practical way to get across several states for cheap but these days, buying a Greyhound ticket is like paying too much for a ticket on the world's worst carnival ride. It's hot, sticky, smells like vomit and body odor, obnoxious people are all around you, and the thing is for drat sure gonna break down at least twice during the ride.

Amtrak is marginally better but only because you can sneak booze onboard and get wasted to pass the time and nobody gives a poo poo.

Anyway, I'm standing by, ready to send out various Mexican snacks and candies if you need morale boosters while you're working. Can't do much for parts or tools, but it sounds like you've got all that taken care of, or at least have a plan in mind. I guess there's a Harbor Freight in town if you want me to send you some poo poo you can dump unceremoniously in the field after you use it once and it breaks :v:

I will roll Amtrak over Greyhound any day, but either is vastly worse than a lovely red-eye economy flight which can be had for under $300 these days if you're not picky.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I honestly enjoyed my Amtrak travels, and I'll absolutely rock Amtrak again, but you're sure as hell not getting anywhere in a hurry. Flying from Dallas to my home town (El Paso) is a little under 2 hours (throw in an hour of TSA bullshit on top of that, plus however long it takes to park, check your luggage, get your boarding pass if you don't check in online, etc). Driving? 10-12 hours depending on traffic and weather (I've made it in 7 when I found a pack of cars hauling serious rear end, but I've also had that drive take over 18 hours during winter storms, stopping only for gas and dinner). Bus? About 14-16 hours. Amtrak? two loving days.

Amtrak is very much a "hope you packed enough booze and non-perishable food for a week or two" trip unless you're on the east coast. But drat, it's pretty if you hang out in the lounge cars (once you get over the smell).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jul 24, 2017

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

But drat, it's pretty if you hang out in the lounge cars (once you get over the smell).

100% off topic but I gotta ask, what smell?? Old cigarette smoke (euro trains around here last had this decades back so that'd be a cool throwback to step into) or stinky people or ??? I've never even considered using a train while in the US, but I guess if you're into scenery and have all the time in the world it might be a pretty cool way to travel.

RE the truck: wasn't it super cold by the time work started there last year, or did 14 arrive much later? Speaking of, glad to see 14 still alive at least. I kind of doubt truck tinkering has therapeutic value but if it's a motivation to go take a change of scenery it might not be such a terrible plan to try and make it out to Valentine again

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Old Binsby posted:

100% off topic but I gotta ask, what smell??

Amtrak smells like Amtrak. Doesn't matter were you are, the trains all smell the same.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

beep-beep car is go posted:

Amtrak smells like Amtrak. Doesn't matter were you are, the trains all smell the same.

It's like some kind of amalgam of B.O., vomit, sauerkraut, skunked beer, and that one kid you had homeroom with who didn't quite understand the concept of how to wipe.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Might as well have never moved out of my parents' place then for an authentic amtrak experience

E. Cause that was also going nowhere really slowly in the middle of the bumfuck nowhere (I'm kidding love you mom)

Old Binsby fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 25, 2017

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I like Amtrak, I find it does take a couple more hours than driving but people on interstates are just inconsiderate and childish so often, I would rather sit back and relax in a train that put up with highway shenanigans. As for Greyhound, I would rather shoot crack in an overflowing porta potty instead.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Is Amtrak smell anything like MARTA smell? (Any ATL people here?)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Trains are awesome. Whenever we go to Chicago we drive about an hour and then take the South Shore in.

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

click clack POW, officer down
I love taking Amtrak, I've taken the trip from Philly to Montreal several times. Gorgeous ride through the Hudson valley and lake George, about 12 hours and only costs like $70 each way!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Crotch Fruit posted:

As for Greyhound, I would rather shoot crack in an overflowing porta potty instead.

Isn't that pretty much the same thing, except it's also on wheels?

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

MrYenko posted:

Isn't that pretty much the same thing, except it's also on wheels?

long distance trains will keep their edge over buses as long as they have a bar/restaurant where you can actually sit. Stretching your legs is also much less of a hassle. They'll also never run a flat, you can sleep in actual beds if you feel like spending a bunch of money. If you're really giving it all you got you might end up feeling like you're in that Wes Anderson movie which is cool. You can also meet attractive people on the train1,2, buses don't lend themselves to this very well. Why? Because they're cramped and that rear end in a top hat in front of you will absolutely smash your knees dropping his chair at one point. Probably while you're sleeping soundly, finally, and let your guard down (I don't know whether greyhound chairs move but many buses are just as lovely or worse as airplanes regarding seats, a pain I rediscover each time I trick myself into trying buses one last time). Anyway, fractures knee or no you doze off again, only to be woken because the bus is making a stop - again - all the smokers are rushing past and by the time you're sleeping a little again they all come back and you hate everything. You forgot to use the bathroom so now you're stuck with the bus toilet which is terrible. Trains aren't much better but at least there's more than 1 because inevitably, public`-ish transport toilets end up super filthy. You can access your luggage more easily in a train, there are no non-professional drivers on railways which hopefully means you're less likely to get rammed by some idiot while you were hoping to arrive on time for once because there's a plane you need to catch, some trains let you take your car or a shitload of stuff for lazy long distance moving, etc etc

In short: buses blow

yay trains

This post is not meant to disrespect the truck obviously, as long as you don't put seats in the back and charge people for riding along. Then and only then it automatically becomes worse than a train..

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Old Binsby posted:

long distance trains will keep their edge over buses as long as they have a bar/restaurant where you can actually sit. Stretching your legs is also much less of a hassle. They'll also never run a flat, you can sleep in actual beds if you feel like spending a bunch of money. If you're really giving it all you got you might end up feeling like you're in that Wes Anderson movie which is cool. You can also meet attractive people on the train1,2, buses don't lend themselves to this very well. Why? Because they're cramped and that rear end in a top hat in front of you will absolutely smash your knees dropping his chair at one point. Probably while you're sleeping soundly, finally, and let your guard down (I don't know whether greyhound chairs move but many buses are just as lovely or worse as airplanes regarding seats, a pain I rediscover each time I trick myself into trying buses one last time). Anyway, fractures knee or no you doze off again, only to be woken because the bus is making a stop - again - all the smokers are rushing past and by the time you're sleeping a little again they all come back and you hate everything. You forgot to use the bathroom so now you're stuck with the bus toilet which is terrible. Trains aren't much better but at least there's more than 1 because inevitably, public`-ish transport toilets end up super filthy. You can access your luggage more easily in a train, there are no non-professional drivers on railways which hopefully means you're less likely to get rammed by some idiot while you were hoping to arrive on time for once because there's a plane you need to catch, some trains let you take your car or a shitload of stuff for lazy long distance moving, etc etc

In short: buses blow

yay trains

This post is not meant to disrespect the truck obviously, as long as you don't put seats in the back and charge people for riding along. Then and only then it automatically becomes worse than a train..

... you cited tolstoy for amtrak. You need to get a job for them train pusherman

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I enjoyed taking a sleeper train to Kiev to see Chernobyl then high speed rail back.

I've never been on Amtrak because it's faster to walk.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Amtrak is awesome for going to Chicago. Cheap and I don't have to park. And you can drink a few beers if you're quiet. We recently found out that there is a "quiet car" where nobody is allowed to talk on their phone and it's mostly people sleeping. It's amazing.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
I haven't been on the longer routes, but Amtrak from NYC to DC is great, especially Acela.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Amtrak is great on longer trips, they stop every 10 minutes for some nowhere town or needing to wait for traffic. Average speed is like 30mph.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Teketeketeketeke posted:

Is Amtrak smell anything like MARTA smell? (Any ATL people here?)

They're two similar but very distinct aromas. MARTA tends to smell like despair, grease, and blood, while Amtrak is more despondence, stale beer, and echoes of low personal hygiene standards.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Came for the human drama

Staying for train chat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Astonishing Wang posted:

Came for the human drama

Staying for train chat

one in the same really.

So if I read right.. truck on hold til Oct/November?

• Locked thread