Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

I've got myself an FZ-10 model 3DO, which seems to work fine. However, the copy of Killing Time that came with it has a scratch that stops it getting to the title screen.

I tried burning a copy on a few different types of CD-R (Verbatim and Maxell, 700mb each). Neither booted, with the system going to the memory management prompt after about 30 seconds of disc access attempt noises.

Is there an issue with the system, or do I just need to find some better media to write to? I did try various speeds with no difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

TeaJay posted:

This tip definitely helped me. I brought it up because I hit a location with a similar long vertical corridor from original SM where the animal teaches you how to wall jump (although there are alcoves on the left side in case you can't). I kinda try to do it now as a 1-2 motion - first press direction and jump immediately after. I was almost able to clear the corridor this way. just made it to the top. Never made it in the original either.

:tipshat: glad I could help!

You'll eventually get into the groove of wall jumping if MSZM demands it (I never played very far). You get into a rhythm as you go up long corridors. It's kinda zen, in a way.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Sir Tonk posted:

Sixteen people get to enjoy 5 fps gaming at the same time? Sign me up!

Hey, at least you get to listen to some bitchin' music while playing. It's pretty much the only reason I have a copy.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Anonymouse Mook posted:

I've got myself an FZ-10 model 3DO, which seems to work fine. However, the copy of Killing Time that came with it has a scratch that stops it getting to the title screen.

I tried burning a copy on a few different types of CD-R (Verbatim and Maxell, 700mb each). Neither booted, with the system going to the memory management prompt after about 30 seconds of disc access attempt noises.

Is there an issue with the system, or do I just need to find some better media to write to? I did try various speeds with no difference.

Are you burning a disc from the actual CD game of Killing Time, or with an ISO you *cough* "found places for legitimate backup purposes"? Either way, I would try another disc or image. I would also try using a different burner, older if possible, because newer ones seem to be kind of iffy about burning discs in a slower speed and form that old CD-ROM drives from the late 1980s and early 1990s seem to work best with.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've tried both Verbatim and Maxell discs and they suck. I used TDK with good success earlier and nowadays I use Taiyo Yuden which are excellent quality.

UnhandledException
Jun 27, 2016

Not enough memories.

fishmech posted:

That still pales in comparison to getting the full setup for Game Boy Faceball 2000.

You need 16 Game Boys or other systems that have a Game Link port and play GB cartridges, 15 Game Link cables, 7 Four Player Adapters, and of course 16 Faceball 2000 cartridges.

Last I heard, the biggest confirmed game ever gotten together was 10 players at once, but the game does support 16 which has been shown to work in emulator setups.

The developers made a proprietary 16 player adapter the game code still looks for, but I've never seen proof that daisy chaining 4 player adapters works as a substitute. I'd love to see otherwise having owned a 4 player setup back in the day.

It would be a fun goal to go for 16, but it was hard enough to get a 10 player game of Saturn Bomberman going (once).

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Anonymouse Mook posted:

Yeah, if you can get a release of the disc that's not off a rando website and is from a larger release, like Trurip, etc., you stand a better chance of getting a good image.

Also, better media definitely exists for a decent price. As stated, Taiyo Yuden is the way to go. You can find them branded as CMC Pro nowadays. They make a huge difference on my consoles.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Kthulhu5000 posted:

I would also try using a different burner, older if possible, because newer ones seem to be kind of iffy about burning discs in a slower speed and form that old CD-ROM drives from the late 1980s and early 1990s seem to work best with.

No don't do this! You get no benefit from burning modern discs at slower speeds, and in fact it can result in it burning more poorly. You would need to also get a hold of old, slow, media to match up with the old drive to get a better result from doing this, and frankly old media that is still burnable is getting pretty rare and hard to find.

The only thing the old device's drive can really have a problem with in these contexts is the sheer reflectivity ratio between the burnt "pits" and "lands". You solve this by switching to just different formulation disks altogether (different formulations have different maximum contrast they can present), and burn them at whatever your burner calls optimal speed.

But also, a device whose drive is dying or simply needs to be adjusted will nearly always stop reading burnt discs before pressed discs, because being off is less of a problem on pressed discs.

UnhandledException posted:

The developers made a proprietary 16 player adapter the game code still looks for, but I've never seen proof that daisy chaining 4 player adapters works as a substitute. I'd love to see otherwise having owned a 4 player setup back in the day.

It would be a fun goal to go for 16, but it was hard enough to get a 10 player game of Saturn Bomberman going (once).

I mean there's the one developer who says it only works on a special 16 player adapter, but there's other people who claim to have connected multiple 4 player adapters together to have, depending on the person, 5-11 games hooked up, and had it work but start running noticeably slower past 4 players, and especially so past 8 players.

I feel like maybe the one developer is remembering the way more players works a bit incorrectly, and the various people are more accurate about it working but being kinda bad.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 24, 2017

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I'm really bad at following scene stuff. Have they made any progress towards a Sega saturn gd rom- USB adapter Ala what dreamcast has? Sega saturn is one of the last disc based systems I need to convert into a digital medium for longer reliability.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Ineffiable posted:

I'm really bad at following scene stuff. Have they made any progress towards a Sega saturn gd rom- USB adapter Ala what dreamcast has? Sega saturn is one of the last disc based systems I need to convert into a digital medium for longer reliability.

There is one sporadically available: Rhea/Phoebe depending on your model.

Also, Professor Abrasive is working on his beta MPEG card slot solution now. Still a work in progress.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

azurite posted:

Also, Professor Abrasive is working on his beta MPEG card slot solution now. Still a work in progress.

Huh I remember seeing that but didn't it used to be more expensive? Did it come down in price.

MPEG card looks promising especially if it's cheaper/easier to get than Phoebe.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah that kinda why I haven't got into the Saturn. I just waiting on the MPEG method to happen as I just really not wanting to deal with burning cds in 2017. Especially since it harder to just blind try crap with say a everdrive.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

UnhandledException posted:

This is why we need a weird game con, so we can all finally play all those strange things that developers made but just weren't feasible for anyone to actually get a group together to play. It can be called "Nobody But Goons Show Up Fest 2018".

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Rirse posted:

Yeah that kinda why I haven't got into the Saturn. I just waiting on the MPEG method to happen as I just really not wanting to deal with burning cds in 2017. Especially since it harder to just blind try crap with say a everdrive.

Also reha/Phoebe is slightly more complicated than the dreamcast model.

And I really can't imagine the MPEG card being more expensive than those mods.

I'll probably wait for MPEG myself too.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Yeah, I'm betting it'll be out next year. I think he's already building beta boards for Patreon backers.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

azurite posted:

Anything like this for the Sega-CD?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Wizgot posted:

Anything like this for the Sega-CD?

Not likely, as the burnt cd method works so well without any mods.

If someone wanted to do it, it would probably be the easiest of these projects.

UnhandledException
Jun 27, 2016

Not enough memories.

fishmech posted:

I mean there's the one developer who says it only works on a special 16 player adapter, but there's other people who claim to have connected multiple 4 player adapters together to have, depending on the person, 5-11 games hooked up, and had it work but start running noticeably slower past 4 players, and especially so past 8 players.

I feel like maybe the one developer is remembering the way more players works a bit incorrectly, and the various people are more accurate about it working but being kinda bad.
Someone out there needs to make a video of it playing hilariously slow with more than 4 players.

Random Stranger posted:

This is why we need a weird game con, so we can all finally play all those strange things that developers made but just weren't feasible for anyone to actually get a group together to play. It can be called "Nobody But Goons Show Up Fest 2018".
Oh yeah, basically a LAN party with retro gaming consoles. While we're at it, let's include:
  • Virtual On for Dreamcast via System Link and Twin Sticks
  • Gran Turismo multi-monitor setup
  • Sega Saturn modems linked up
  • Sega Genesis Zero Tolerance with System Link

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
PAX has poo poo like the fuckoffhuge Steel Battalion control desk. Would probably be easiest to get these things going there

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

PAX has poo poo like the fuckoffhuge Steel Battalion control desk. Would probably be easiest to get these things going there

Yeah, but that would mean going to PAX and who wants to be around those nerds. :v:

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Apparently walmart is cancelling a bunch of the SNES classic pre-orders that happened a few days ago. Mine still seems to be okay but holy poo poo I'm gonna be mad if I have to make ANOTHER mad dash to pre-order this poo poo.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

fishmech posted:

Not likely, as the burnt cd method works so well without any mods.

If someone wanted to do it, it would probably be the easiest of these projects.

I was thinking more on the lines of saving the CD drive from use. Sega-CDs are not the most durable of consoles and from what I hear break down a lot.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

worthless. posted:

Apparently walmart is cancelling a bunch of the SNES classic pre-orders that happened a few days ago. Mine still seems to be okay but holy poo poo I'm gonna be mad if I have to make ANOTHER mad dash to pre-order this poo poo.

Ya, that would suck. Mine are still fine. Someone in the SNES classic edition thread says Walmart even moved up their ship date to Sept. 28th. Also, Walmart's twitter account congratulated someone who tweeted to them that they locked in their SNES pre-order (though the twitter people may not know if it was a mistake or not).

So who really knows. Those people could have given incorrect billing addresses or some other issue (their card rejected the test charge).

Ya, I am usually quick to pre-order since I work from home and I get the nowinstock alert and can immediately take a break and pre-order something. However, tomorrow I am starting paternity leave for a few weeks and won't be as quick to pre-order anything, so hopefully Walmart pre-order stays.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It's 2017 and I am referring to my official Ocarina of Time guide book that I bought in 1999 for the 3DS version.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Is there a decent 3DO emulator out there? My system is dying and I don't feel like dropping more cash on another console since I barely used this one.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Quiet Feet posted:

Is there a decent 3DO emulator out there? My system is dying and I don't feel like dropping more cash on another console since I barely used this one.
I've been using 4DO.

There's a newer emulator from Russia called Project Phoenix, but its UI is pretty clunky and I'm not sure what it brings to the table. Also: it's in Russian.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Star Man posted:

It's 2017 and I am referring to my official Ocarina of Time guide book that I bought in 1999 for the 3DS version.

I rarely play a game pre-2000 without a strategy guide anymore but I always try to go for a published one.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Star Man posted:

When I was playing the Final Fantasy Adventure remake on Vita I straight up took out the map that came with the game boy game as a reference a couple times.

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

fishmech posted:

That still pales in comparison to getting the full setup for Game Boy Faceball 2000.

You need 16 Game Boys or other systems that have a Game Link port and play GB cartridges, 15 Game Link cables, 7 Four Player Adapters, and of course 16 Faceball 2000 cartridges.

Last I heard, the biggest confirmed game ever gotten together was 10 players at once, but the game does support 16 which has been shown to work in emulator setups.

OK, I need to make this happen at the Retronauts PRGE meet-up this fall.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Dr. Spitesworth posted:

OK, I need to make this happen at the Retronauts PRGE meet-up this fall.

Hopefully there's enough locals to make up for me not supplying 10+ of your Game Boys :toot:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
What is it with eastern block countries and emulation?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
A. it's eastern bloc
B. because the NES et. al. were never available in the USSR. they got the Dendy, the Taiwanese clone made for the Russian market.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Oh darn, my fake Everdrive MD for the Genesis isn't working. What a shame since I been looking for a excuse to get the legit Everdrive X5. Or should I get the X7 for sixty more?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Rirse posted:

Oh darn, my fake Everdrive MD for the Genesis isn't working. What a shame since I been looking for a excuse to get the legit Everdrive X5. Or should I get the X7 for sixty more?

Get the X3 for $40 less...

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I have the X7 and it's been great. I like that Krikzz lists one of the features on his site the same way I would've:

quote:

In-game menu that allows access back to menu system without leaving the sofa.

Perfect for lazy people.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

wa27 posted:

Get the X3 for $40 less...

I don't know, the X5 can be used as a Sega CD RAM cart, as well as not needing to reset to save on games that can, and has a SMS pause button

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Rirse posted:

I don't think anything works for you ever. :lol:

I think someone else called you out that everything you buy breaks. There must be a common denominator here... :cheeky:

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

What are the best 2-player games on the SNES and Genesis?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Wizgot posted:

NHL 94

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Wizgot posted:

Metal Warriors (SNES only) has an amazing versus mode. Hope you're not a stickler for owning the legit cartridge, though.

• Locked thread