Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i'm really mad about your left-aligned numbers but awesome job on everything else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

median filters are cool as heck

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oh and yes i am going to sync the grid movement with the wheel speed. already have that functionality written, just not active.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
What's the best PCB design software for idiot hell fuckers like me

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

Malcolm XML posted:

geda/PCB isn't that bad if you don't mind open source, we used it in my robotics class for building the sensor system board

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Bloody posted:

you should be able to get muscle flexion pretty easily with any surface electrode pair, like if you stick one at the base of your thumb at the wrist and then up towards the top of that bigass thumb muscle you should expect to see lotsa bigass EMG signals in the 1s to 10s of mV range. i dont remember the frequency ranges off the top of my head but 50-3k sounds kinda high. i know you get tons of muscle artifacts in EEG, which is more like 1-50 Hz

what are you using for an amp?

you're right, i was reading the wrong data i wrote down a year ago, amp i'm using is a TL072 and I've tried an LM318 as well

most likely i'm just a doofus and had set it up for the wrong signal

i might just get a free sample AD620 instead, a few things i've looked at recommended those but they're $25 per chip

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Malcolm XML posted:

Altium

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Malcolm XML posted:

kicad if ya poor, altium if ya not

i'm poor and I use kicad - it's worked for me!

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

install diptrace

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Apocadall posted:

you're right, i was reading the wrong data i wrote down a year ago, amp i'm using is a TL072 and I've tried an LM318 as well

most likely i'm just a doofus and had set it up for the wrong signal

i might just get a free sample AD620 instead, a few things i've looked at recommended those but they're $25 per chip

AD620 is definitely the best of those. what kinda topology are you using and how much gain? are you just dumping that into an oscilloscope for now or do you have an ADC involved? i'm coming from a background where we either made our own parts or used things like http://intantech.com/products_RHA2000.html so im probably not gonna have cost-sensitive suggestions for parts lol

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Bloody posted:

AD620 is definitely the best of those. what kinda topology are you using and how much gain? are you just dumping that into an oscilloscope for now or do you have an ADC involved? i'm coming from a background where we either made our own parts or used things like http://intantech.com/products_RHA2000.html so im probably not gonna have cost-sensitive suggestions for parts lol

no ADC right now, just working on getting a good signal before i try to convert it and do something with it, just dumping to the oscilloscope for now

any suggestions on an ADC? i'm aiming to use muscle movements to control motors, but figure i'll start with just getting them to control some LEDs and go from there

eventually will use a pi zero to handle that part

i think the gain was somewhere between 100k and 1M, but i'll have to go back through and clean up any information i currently have and consolidate into a more coherent mess

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

best i have for ADC's is some MCP3004 and MCP3008

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
ADS1115 is a pretty ok cheap 16-bit 4 channel I2C ADC that you can buy as a little PCB on eBay, 16-bit with 4 channels and a PGA.

for a really precise application you might want something like the ultra fancy 24+ bit delta-sigma converters that TI/Analog/Linear make for this sort of application. IIRC they also come with 50/60 Hz notch filters as a selectable option.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

not gonna drop 7.5k on a dumbass home automation project

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

longview posted:

ADS1115 is a pretty ok cheap 16-bit 4 channel I2C ADC that you can buy as a little PCB on eBay, 16-bit with 4 channels and a PGA.

for a really precise application you might want something like the ultra fancy 24+ bit delta-sigma converters that TI/Analog/Linear make for this sort of application. IIRC they also come with 50/60 Hz notch filters as a selectable option.

my recco in the :10bux: :10bux: :10bux: category is ltc2378 its real good and nice

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

longview posted:

this is probably too slow of an adc

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Apocadall posted:

best i have for ADC's is some MCP3004 and MCP3008

10 bits kinda blows rear end but for EMG it might work lol

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Apocadall posted:

no ADC right now, just working on getting a good signal before i try to convert it and do something with it, just dumping to the oscilloscope for now

any suggestions on an ADC? i'm aiming to use muscle movements to control motors, but figure i'll start with just getting them to control some LEDs and go from there

eventually will use a pi zero to handle that part

i think the gain was somewhere between 100k and 1M, but i'll have to go back through and clean up any information i currently have and consolidate into a more coherent mess

that is an alarming amount of gain, post teh circuit

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

better yet see if you can just get a sample of a TI ADS1298R :getin:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

isn't TI weird about samples?

or have I been listening too much to all the distys they "hosed over"

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Malcolm XML posted:

not gonna drop 7.5k on a dumbass home automation project

Altium circuit maker is Free Software. I think the only real restriction is that you have to use their :yayclod: and cannot use local storage

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

eagle, kicad, and dipstrace are the big three for free pcb design tools. eagle is a weird program with a terrible UI, but has a lot of traction in the hobby scene so you can get help with it easily. kicad and dipstrace are distant seconds in terms of popularity, but are nicer to use.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Spatial posted:

because of this an m3 can pull off a division in just a few cycles if the operands are small. however it still can't compete with a shift, which will likely be combined with another operation for free thanks to the whole flexible operand2 thing in the isa.

Except the Cortex series mostly supports Thumb1 (with a couple of Thumb2 instructions where absolutely necessarily), where the integrated barrel shifter thing doesn't apply.

Edit: Wait, I guess that's just Cortex M0/1, derp.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Bloody posted:

that is an alarming amount of gain, post teh circuit

i'm going to redo the circuit tonight, or maybe on my lunch break

going to recheck all my numbers and see if i can't find where i made an error before

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sweevo posted:

eagle, kicad, and dipstrace are the big three for free pcb design tools. eagle is a weird program with a terrible UI, but has a lot of traction in the hobby scene so you can get help with it easily. kicad and dipstrace are distant seconds in terms of popularity, but are nicer to use.

i've tried all three and diptrace is the only one that feels like something written in the last ten years

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Sagebrush posted:

i've tried all three and diptrace is the only one that feels like something written in the last ten years

but do either eagle or kicad feel like good software written in the 1990s-2000s

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

eschaton posted:

but do either eagle or kicad feel like good software written in the 1990s-2000s

they're pcb cad programs

what does your heart tell you

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

They both feel like exactly what they are

Eagle, a CAD program from like 1988 that hasn't had a single usability update since the initial release

KiCAD, the same thing but also made by Linux users

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Apocadall posted:

i'm going to redo the circuit tonight, or maybe on my lunch break

going to recheck all my numbers and see if i can't find where i made an error before

yeah remember that gain bandwidth product is a thing that exists and youre using real cheap opamps

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
"arduino" means one thing again

and we're also going to burn down two's complement and go back to signed-magnitude because bitflips in values cause more power burn than literally anything else, apparently

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

well, i mean, obviously bitflips is the only thing that actually by necessity uses power. i assume we are not at a point where that really is the reality we are up against granted, but, hey, interesting to think about

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

well, i mean, obviously bitflips is the only thing that actually by necessity uses power. i assume we are not at a point where that really is the reality we are up against granted, but, hey, interesting to think about

I thought leakage current was the major power draw these days

I wonder if nano relays will make it for tiny rear end sensors. Zero leakage!

Anal leakage

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

right, but the actual physical hard boundary of computation possible to perform is the number of bitflips needed to realize the computation

as noted i highly doubt it has a ton of practical use in present day, but it is sufficiently interesting and fundamental that it bears thinking about a bit

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

the ALU is only a small part of an MCU, switching the type of arithmetic used wouldn't have any practical effect i think. besides, it's not so much bits flipping as it is transistors switching and that happens everywhere logic exists in the MCU, not just the values that get placed in registers. so the picture the guy paints with values switching less often is probably not terribly informative.

in all the low-power / energy harvesting stuff i've worked on the difference in power consumption between workloads was negligible, even for stuff like infinite nops vs generating random number sequences. from a software point of view we treated the dynamic power as a constant for a given frequency and voltage and the big deal was always the MCU active time.

Malcolm XML posted:

Anal leakage
you can get parts with idle power consumption in the double digit nanoamps now. triple digits if you want sram retention. it's amazingly low!

Spatial fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 28, 2017

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

right, but the actual physical hard boundary of computation possible to perform is the number of bitflips needed to realize the computation

as noted i highly doubt it has a ton of practical use in present day, but it is sufficiently interesting and fundamental that it bears thinking about a bit
it's very important if you're trying to run your MCU off the hawking radiation from a micro black hole :)

i know someone at work who has studied this subject directly and published, maybe i'll ask him about it next week.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I mean the self discharge rate of your battery will swamp the idle consumption but it's fun to think about.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ya we always focused on minimizing operating time in 99.n% duty cycle applications

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Malcolm XML posted:

I mean the self discharge rate of your battery will swamp the idle consumption but it's fun to think about.

yeah i work with iot devices and the occasional "10 years battery life!" you see advertised is always funny

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

No, flipping a bit is reversible. The actual limiting operation is erasing a bit.
(This is just the theory, though. As far as I know, nobody has built reversible-logic circuits yet.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Zopotantor posted:

No, flipping a bit is reversible. The actual limiting operation is erasing a bit.
(This is just the theory, though. As far as I know, nobody has built reversible-logic circuits yet.)

ah, right you are. i should know this, as reversible automata is a recurring theme at conferences i go to (the interpretation is of course very simple in the finite state case)

one is rather staring even deeper into the theory abyss at that point though, clearly it is rather correct that any operation which is required, reversible or not, will in most imaginable practical circumstances expend some energy. there has to, after all, be some b to be gotten to from a, even if they stand in simple relation to each other

• Locked thread