Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kromlech posted:

there have been 214 acts of rape in Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire book series, and 117 rape victims.

In contrast, on the show, there have been 50 acts of rape, and 29 victims. (A comparison between a 1,7770,000-word book series and just under 50 hours of TV might seem hard to make in some ways, but it is worth noting that, story-wise, by the end of season five both the books and the show will be at a similar point.)

He argued that the books, despite the fantasy elements,

So yeah, dany got raped and so did loads of other women in the books and untold millions in the actual historical middle ages, get over it.

It is still much lower than 1 in 5 on the show which means the GoT world is safer than an American college campus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

facebook jihad posted:

Probably my biggest nerd rage in this show is that apparently the society has been like this for thousands of years. You'd think they'd be evolving like normal societies but no we still have dark age technology and poo poo. I point this out because 'oh we made a big crossbow' is clearly some form of technological marvel, you think with the explosive green stuff guns would be on the way and in 500 years it would be like WWI GoT with machine guns or something which would be cool.

I guess really that's why I can't get into fantasy like this and Star Wars. My autism should allow me to enjoy it but instead my autism makes me hate it. I'd rather watch Game of Trains or something.

Also I'm still kind of annoyed that it appears 'oh a huge load of dragon glass is in dragon stone that no one knew about at all but Samwell found it' is going to be the big plot point that will help the people against the ice guys. Like how am I going to believe no one ever knew about that?

Show bad

In the books I justified the stagnant technology to myself with the periodic dieback caused by their super winters. In the TV show, I don't bother justifying it because putting any thought into it is more then they've done.

poo poo is all mixed up. The armor varies from early middle ages style to renaissance style that was contemporary with widespread firearms in the real world

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Maybe the gods didn't want them to get too fancy tech

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Your Grace, the finest smiths and engineers of seven kingdoms have worked unceasingly on this magnificent device, which is sure to defeat the dragon menace. Now, if you would do the honors...

*Cersei pulls the veil off a giant mouse trap*

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Your Grace, the finest smiths and engineers of seven kingdoms have worked unceasingly on this magnificent device, which is sure to defeat the dragon menace. Now, if you would do the honors...

*Cersei looks at a big chunk of stone with "Throw towards bad thing" scribbled on one side*

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
i did enjoy how unimpressed the seven remaining noblemen were.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Sams gonna make guns that shoot dragon glass musket balls

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
They should just catapult the mountain at a dragon

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

*Cersei picks up a novelty door mat that says GONE FISHIN*

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
1 giant crossbow
3 dragons

dont think it will work

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

DrPlump posted:

1 giant crossbow
3 dragons

dont think it will work

It's guaranteed to cause Cersei to almost win by killing 1, possibly 2 dragons.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

steinrokkan posted:

*Cersei picks up a novelty door mat that says GONE FISHIN*

loving laffin over here, ty

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I bet Theon and Nymeria never show up again.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

UnfurledSails posted:

Gendry gonna row up and rescue Theon. both disappear forever after.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

UnfurledSails posted:

I'd be fine with the latter because Nymeria is a dog with no unresolved plot threads and got a decent enough send off with that scene.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Theon turns into aquaman.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

facebook jihad posted:

Probably my biggest nerd rage in this show is that apparently the society has been like this for thousands of years. You'd think they'd be evolving like normal societies but no we still have dark age technology and poo poo. I point this out because 'oh we made a big crossbow' is clearly some form of technological marvel, you think with the explosive green stuff guns would be on the way and in 500 years it would be like WWI GoT with machine guns or something which would be cool.

I guess really that's why I can't get into fantasy like this and Star Wars. My autism should allow me to enjoy it but instead my autism makes me hate it. I'd rather watch Game of Trains or something.

Also I'm still kind of annoyed that it appears 'oh a huge load of dragon glass is in dragon stone that no one knew about at all but Samwell found it' is going to be the big plot point that will help the people against the ice guys. Like how am I going to believe no one ever knew about that?

Show bad

Well with Star Wars at least you can kinda explain by the fact that it's a super old world and technology has become stagnant. The only thing societies can do is rediscover a lost knowledge. I suppose in Westeros it could have been explain with the deadly winters setting the world back centuries everytime but :effort:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Who needs a gun when you got wizards though

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Zzulu posted:

Who needs a gun when you got wizards though

if you had like magic missile and stuff sure, but in got land magic is like "if i look in the fire, sometimes it looks like stuff but i usually get it wrong."

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I haven't seen the episode yet but lorewise ballistas were used to kill dragons before plus these ones don't have some LOTR super armor scales. Plus if an arrow can pierce a dragon (like with Drogon during that arena scene) then a ballista bolt can.

e: China had catapults and whatever first probably but China had nothing on a good trebuchet.

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 24, 2017

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Did the 3 dragons from the weird dragon king die of old age or what

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
yes. also the species died out due to inbreeding (books) which targaryans were extremely in to.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Is daenerys gonna go mad?

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
"Khaleesi" fans will probably tear benioff and weiss apart in the streets if Danny does not win and end up alive and well at the end of this

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

lol if a single person still cares about her after the last 6 seasons

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I'm the mercenary company left in charge of the incredibly tense situation in the city state she abandoned probably never to think of again.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
she was a better character in the books where she turned into a female dragon riding George Dubya Bush

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
lol @ people whoi unironically think dany is the good guy

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

ROFLburger posted:

lol if a single person still cares about her after the last 6 seasons

non-goon fans who aren't hip enough to be cynical jaded nerds like us still love her like a sherlockwhovian loves Benedict cumberbatch.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

steinrokkan posted:

lol @ people whoi unironically think dany is the good guy

Even though I didn't really know who he was until this episode I'm rooting for Euron. How can you not after that entrance? There are no good guys, just go for the coolest bad guy.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

yeah after last ep i was a little down on the show's take on him but after this one they did capture a little heavy metal viking pirate after all

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Even though I didn't really know who he was until this episode I'm rooting for Euron. How can you not after that entrance? There are no good guys, just go for the coolest bad guy.

He was still cooler in the books by a loving mile, that's why.

The same scene from last night would have only been matter better if his crazy tongue-cut crew or head-to-toe Valryian steel plate was involved, or if he entered a proper king's moot (not that "20 people stand on a cliff" we got) setting people on fire and poo poo.

It was definitely his best scene, but all his other scenes are going MURRRRRRDER or talking about his big dick.

Still credit where credit was do, his entrance was boss.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

bag em and tag em posted:

"Khaleesi" fans will probably tear benioff and weiss apart in the streets if Danny does not win and end up alive and well at the end of this

Honestly I'll be surprised if she doesn't get speared through the heart by Jon at the end due to all that prophecy poo poo.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Blazing Ownager posted:

Honestly I'll be surprised if she doesn't get speared through the heart by Jon at the end due to all that prophecy poo poo.

Well actually gender neutral pronouns so woman stab man through heart :viggo:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

i hope euron's boarding ramp crushes more people

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i hope someone gets facefucked to death!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I seriously wish Arya would finally get to Winterfell and a wight stabs her through the stomach. Or maybe some overeager guard shoots her. Or she gets within sight of her home and some wildling kills her.

Everyone complains about Dany being a Mary Sue but loving hell Arya is so much worse.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm not going to bother googling for the quote and I encourage you to take this as a flippant comment regardless but apparently GRRM has said all his characters have no plot armor really except for Arya just because his wife would be super mad at him if she died.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

i hope euron's boarding ramp crushes more people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

COMRADES posted:

I'm not going to bother googling for the quote and I encourage you to take this as a flippant comment regardless but apparently GRRM has said all his characters have no plot armor really except for Arya just because his wife would be super mad at him if she died.

Goddamnit.

The Faceless Men had no reason to let her go. It might have made sense if they gave her a target and said fine, you kill this ONE person and you're free to go. Go kill the last male Targaryen. Something like that. Nope.

Her stupid wolf should have thrown rocks at her to make her run. That might have been a better scene.