Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
The image of Clinton and Kaine hunched over a Waffle House table each night drinking coffee and editing each others grammar is really funny in my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Iron Twinkie posted:

The anti-BDS legislation and today's hollow turd of a platform makes me think that the Democrats rightward shift is only going to accelerate. Their fundraising recently has dropped off a cliff. Their donor base is shrinking. I can only imagine that's from smaller contributors leaving the party in disgust, leaving them increasingly dependent on big donors. I can easily see that going exponential as they increasingly become the mouthpieces of a handful of unhinged billionaires to a degree that dwarfs what they are now which will only reinforce that cycle.

Yeah but the eventual outcome of that is going to be the same corporate donors realizing they're wasting their money buying influence in a party that never wins any elections and just going to the GOP.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
"The programs of a new deal fundamentally reshaped American society and ensured for generations that we'd care for elderly and sick, provide for the impoverished and were so popular it got a president elected three four consecutive times."

democrats, 2017: what if we talked about being tougher on mergers

ex post facho has issued a correction as of 18:29 on Jul 24, 2017

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Shear Modulus posted:

Yeah but the eventual outcome of that is going to be the same corporate donors realizing they're wasting their money buying influence in a party that never wins any elections and just going to the GOP.

the way fundraising basically works is they do this already, but they throw a few bucks to the dems "just in case"

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Uber, but for tax credits

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

ex post facho posted:

"The programs of a new deal fundamentally reshaped American society and ensured for generations that we'd care for elderly and sick, provide for the impoverished and were so popular it got a president elected three consecutive times."

democrats, 2017: what if we talked about being tougher on mergers
FDR was elected 4 times, not just 3

also the dems held a majority in both houses of congress almost uninterrupted for the next 50 years

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Lessail posted:

Uber, but for tax credits

"what if instead of health care we just gave everyone a tax credit"

oh wait thats the republican and democratic position. the only difference is if medicaid gets totally defunded or not.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011
I think you will find that if you just tap into the great machinery of the republic and overcome severe structural disadvantages for decades and maintain perfect cohesion you might get a modest reform. Here, let me back up my argument by pointing to American reforms that have all become miserable failures if you even scratch the surface a little bit.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

ex post facho posted:

not a single word about healthcare or a living wage, anywhere

Willa Was Always Right

dawg he's rolling the plan out over several days

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

how are you going to suppress f-16 dropping napalm over you

Plausibility of rebellion aside, "they have weapons!" remains kind of a dumb take in the absence of details.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

anime was right posted:

the way fundraising basically works is they do this already, but they throw a few bucks to the dems "just in case"

I guess so but eventually Soros and Steyer and whoever are going to have to start doing that too right

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
dems insufferable so what

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
"It is no great secret that without work, without education, people lose hope – and when people lose hope bad things happen. The time is long overdue for us to start investing in our young people, to help them get the jobs they need, to help them get the education they need and to help them get the job training they need so that they can be part of the middle class," Schumer said.

Grants totaling $4 billion would go to state and local governments to provide summer and year-round job opportunities for low-income youth, and to fund important services such as transportation or child care to help young Americans work.

Another $1.5 billion in competitive grants would go to states and local communities to provide on-the-job training and apprenticeship programs for low-income youth and disadvantaged young adults. Grant recipients would be encouraged to develop partnerships with employers, community colleges, community organizations and joint labor-management committees.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Venuz Patrol posted:

dawg he's rolling the plan out over several days

dems dont want a single payer or MCA alternative, the national party has made this pretty clear, much less a living wage

they've enshrined the parasitic relationship between insurers and health care into law for power, and they know if they start advocating for a more equitable system that will destroy those insurers they'll lose those big checks forever

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
what's a joint labor-management committee?

Are they going to legalize pot or no?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

https://twitter.com/_bluepaint/status/889311829956022272

lmao

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

zegermans posted:

for reals though I've had a post or two that I deleted halfway through because I was like "uh is this antisemitic?"

it depends.

do you hate Israel because of a deep-seated hatred for Jews, or do you hate Israel's government because of identifiable government policies that you can point to? you're gonna get called an anti-Semite either way, but that's basically unavoidable - there's always going to be racists that cloak their hatred in stuff like that, and there's always going to be advocates who duck real criticisms by claiming anything negative is just concealed discrimination. suck it up and deal with it. just keep the hyperbole under control and don't jump to conclusions based on ethnicity

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

FuriousxGeorge posted:

what's a joint labor-management committee?

Are they going to legalize pot or no?

Dems will support cannabis like they supported LGBT issues: a handful will defend it and provide some support to the people and all the rest will jump in at the last minute and back it up long after the fight is done.

Oh and then centrists will smugly dismiss you for "still" being on that until it becomes a conventional policy they always supported.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Concerned Citizen posted:

"It is no great secret that without work, without education, people lose hope – and when people lose hope bad things happen. The time is long overdue for us to start investing in our young people, to help them get the jobs they need, to help them get the education they need and to help them get the job training they need so that they can be part of the middle class," Schumer said.

Grants totaling $4 billion would go to state and local governments to provide summer and year-round job opportunities for low-income youth, and to fund important services such as transportation or child care to help young Americans work.

Another $1.5 billion in competitive grants would go to states and local communities to provide on-the-job training and apprenticeship programs for low-income youth and disadvantaged young adults. Grant recipients would be encouraged to develop partnerships with employers, community colleges, community organizations and joint labor-management committees.

Cool, so the same policies with mixed results and little staying power. Good stuff, good stuff.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
pelosi's lovely platform for all to see

http://www.democraticleader.gov/abetterdeal/

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://mobile.twitter.com/thehill/status/889544477282635778

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

hahahhhh this is perfectly engineered to catalyze the worst takes imaginable on twitter

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

Cool, so the same policies with mixed results and little staying power. Good stuff, good stuff.

i think it's a very good proposal, i'm disappointed you don't like it

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star
hhello im here for the tax credit's

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
https://twitter.com/virgiltexas/status/889542970428596224

this doesn't sound very effective :thunk:

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

So here's the proposal for jobs:

double federal support for registered apprenticeship programs
a tax credit to hire and train people
Create a Network of Thousands of Partnerships between Businesses, Career Technical Programs,
Public Schools and Community Colleges (whatever the gently caress this means)

http://www.democraticleader.gov/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/A-Better-Deal-on-Jobs.pdf

And no legal pot. Donald Trump is going to be a two term President unless the Republicans impeach him.

quote:

In the days and weeks to come, we will propose more bold ideas to achieve our goal of filling and
creating millions of new, full-time, good-paying jobs with a diverse, trained workforce.

Bold, lol.

FuriousxGeorge has issued a correction as of 19:05 on Jul 24, 2017

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

http://coreyrobin.com/2017/07/24/the-democrats-a-party-that-wants-to-die-but-cant-pull-the-plug/

quote:

Tax credits to employers to train unskilled workers.

Do you know hold old and ancient and bullshit this idea is? Here’s how old and ancient and bullshit this idea is. When, more than a decade ago, the University of Oregon political scientist came out with his landmark study The Job Training Charade, demonstrating how poorly these job training programs had performed over the years, he reached back, on the cover of the book, to a 1982 bill that essentially promised to do what Schumer is now proposing to do.

There’s one difference. Where the 1982 bill focused on government programs and partnerships, Schumer’s bill seems to focus exclusively on tax giveaways to employers, already awash in cash.

Why did Lafer feature that bill on his cover? Because despite decades of data and research showing how bad these programs were, they held an unusual attraction to Republican and Democratic legislators alike. Co-sponsors of that 1982 bill ranged from right-wingers like Paula Hawkins and Thad Cochran (remember them?) and Orrin Hatch to liberals like Teddy Kennedy. Job training, Lafer showed in exhaustive detail, has come to be the neoliberal salve for our free-market age. When you can’t do anything else for workers, train them. For jobs that aren’t there or wages that suck.

It’s true that Schumer offers other proposals, including a $15 minimum wage, but for anyone with a memory, the devotion of one sentence, much less a paragraph, of precious column space to this synecdoche of the bipartisan political economy of the last four decades—well, it’s enough to make you think this is a party that wants to die but can’t pull the plug.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

nopantsjack posted:

Every time I read this thread I thank God for Jeremy corbyn.

Not having to sift through piles of trash neoliberal policy looking for something good to vote for is a huge weight off. Even if he does some dumb stuff.

Just start voting in any internal party elections the Democrats have, that's how we got there, the Blairite took their eye off the ball and everyone else voted in a lefty.

brit electoral parties work a little differently, they get much more direct representation

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

that talk of apprenticeships sounds nice. if only there was some organitionn they could work with that used to be a base of power for the dems, like some sort of union for trades 🤔

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

this is it? this is the better deal reveal....

she says she's gonna create new high paying jobs, but doesn't say how...

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

She said there's something about you
That really reminds me of money
She is the kind of a girl
Who could say things that
Weren't that funny
I said what does that mean
I really remind you of money
She said who am I
To blow against the wind

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

quote:

Beer Industry: As of 2016, five breweries controlled over 50 percent of global beer production
compared to ten companies in 2004. Although there is a burgeoning craft brewery industry, these
small businesses are under threat from large legacy brewers that are acquiring their craft
competitors or trying to block craft brewers’ access to the marketplace. In the last year, InBev
which owns Anheuser-Busch and is the world’s largest beer company, struck a deal to purchase
SABMiller, the second largest. The companies have already announced that jobs will be cut as a
result of the merger, and the resulting conglomerate will make it even harder for small, local
breweries to compete.

http://www.democraticleader.gov/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/A-Better-Deal-on-Competition-and-Costs.pdf

Legalize home distilling.

quote:

Food Prices: The consolidation of six agricultural giants is set to threaten the safety of food and
agriculture in America. The merger of Dow with DuPont, Monsanto with Bayer AG, and
Syngenta with ChemChina, will result in the control of more than 61 percent of commercial seed
sales and 80 percent of the U.S. corn seed market. These mergers take place as countless farmers
in rural America struggle to adapt to a declining farm economy. This corporate takeover of the
farm industry will not only hurt small-town, family operated farms, who will have to pay more
for seeds, but it will also raise food prices – vastly limiting consumer choice.

What the voters of this nation are really crying out for is more diversity in corn varietals at the supermarket.

FuriousxGeorge has issued a correction as of 19:12 on Jul 24, 2017

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star
The good news is that we'll find out whether accelerationism works once and for all

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

i think it's a very good proposal, i'm disappointed you don't like it

Hi, I'm extremely familiar with the organizations that enact these policies and laws like WIOA that the existence of these organizations are based on.

AstheWorldWorlds has issued a correction as of 19:15 on Jul 24, 2017

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

Hi, I'm extremely familiar with the organization's that enact these policies and laws like WIOA that the existence of these organizations are based on.

hey I'm extremely familiar with the organization's that enact these policies and laws like WIOA that the existence of these organizations are based on., i'm cc. nice to meet you.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

hey I'm extremely familiar with the organization's that enact these policies and laws like WIOA that the existence of these organizations are based on., i'm cc. nice to meet you.

Oh good, then you should be aware that outside of a few areas they are only better than nothing because they are not literally nothing.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I imagine they'll compromise it down to being a mere advisory board, repackaged as some kind of "consumer information bureau." That way when they declare that there's price gouging without any legal consequences, consumers will have the information to decide whether or not the one company that controls the patents on the medicine they need to live deserves their business.

:boom:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i know i shouldn't be let down by the democrats at this point, that i should expect them to gently caress up repeatedly and constantly. but god drat....it is killing me that we are ruled by these people

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

no wonder the dems dumped millions into ossoff's campaign. he'd be just the guy to loving pitch this better deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
the Dems don't hold office in France tho

• Locked thread