Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ2RGaDBfwI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Unmature posted:

Dude, what.

He's half right, Jake Gyllenhaal was channeling his inner Jim Carrey and not the moving dramatic one.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Well I'm sold just on the first 10 seconds alone

Dragon's Lair was the Dark Souls of 80s arcade games.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Was that a ghost trap?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

McSpanky posted:

He's half right, Jake Gyllenhaal was channeling his inner Jim Carrey and not the moving dramatic one.

Yeah but it wasn't bad, it was just fuckin weird. It was definitely a very deliberate choice someone on that set made and I enjoyed it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rewatched the last exorcism on Hulu and against all odds it really is a good horror movie. I remember being surprised it wasn't a total piece of poo poo when I saw it in theaters and it really does hold up pretty well. It's pretty drat creepy, compelling and entertaining the whole way through.

I'd say it's the only exorcism based horror movie aside from, ya know, the big one that is actually any good.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Is there a name for the sub-genre of horror that consists of things like In The Mouth of Madness, The Tenant, Jacob's Ladder? Maybe existential horror? Where sanity is more at stake than your life is, maybe.

In any event, anything on streaming along those lines? Thanks!

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
I always thought they were "psychological thrillers". Others will have better recs, but maybe The Babadook or The Fly are still on Netflix?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I tried watching Stasis on Netflix last night, I suggest nobody else does the same.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

rngd in the womb posted:

I always thought they were "psychological thrillers". Others will have better recs, but maybe The Babadook or The Fly are still on Netflix?

i dunno "psychological thriller" is usually used to describe non-supernatural or low-key supernatural movies and also used to indicate something that thinks it's too good to be horror, that doesn't seem quite right (might work for The Tenant, I haven't seen it)

Peter Hutchings gives it as "narratives with domesticated settings in which action is suppressed and where thrills are provided instead via investigations of the psychologies of the principal characters"

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

regulargonzalez posted:

Is there a name for the sub-genre of horror that consists of things like In The Mouth of Madness, The Tenant, Jacob's Ladder? Maybe existential horror? Where sanity is more at stake than your life is, maybe.

In any event, anything on streaming along those lines? Thanks!

Not really streaming, but this is on youtube and it's probably my favorite new Twilight Zone episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v46NSoAGuLg

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Get the Gringo is back on Netflix.. Highly recommend.

It's basically a sequel to Payback A return to peak Mel Gibson.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Holy loving poo poo, I'm sold on the first episode of Ozark, Jason Bateman is excellent on this.

Shanty posted:

For a moment there I thought Bright was out already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EZCBSsBxko

Bright to me feels like a prequel to Shadowrun.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 23, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

Rewatched the last exorcism on Hulu and against all odds it really is a good horror movie

It is seriously fantastic, I knew I had made a good choice in the first 15 minutes when this scene happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tenlX6lAqCc

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

precision posted:

It is seriously fantastic, I knew I had made a good choice in the first 15 minutes when this scene happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tenlX6lAqCc

Patrick Fabian? I'm in.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I had no idea who he was when the movie came out and when I watched it the other night I was I was like "woah it's Hamlin!"

Heads up it expires very soon so watch it quick.

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

rngd in the womb posted:

Its still a good movie, but a quick note, this is the Vincent Price, not Cronenberg, version of The Fly.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Fargin Icehole posted:

Bright to me feels like a prequel to Shadowrun.

Me too, it's totally Shadowrun as the metas and magic are rising but before the cyberpunk technopolis aspect takes off. Wouldn't be surprised in the least to see a great wyrm arise at the end as sequel bait.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Hacksaw Ridge is on HBOGO now, is that appropriate for this thread?

How the hell did this movie get Oscar nominations? Well, I know how, but I still can't accept it. It's so unbelievably mediocre and I can't believe Garfield's performance in Silence was overshadowed by this one-note performance that's going to be forgotten by next year.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Basebf555 posted:

How the hell did this movie get Oscar nominations? Well, I know how, but I still can't accept it. It's so unbelievably mediocre and I can't believe Garfield's performance in Silence was overshadowed by this one-note performance that's going to be forgotten by next year.

I felt the exact same way watching it. Outside of some of the pretty wild battle scenes, the film is risible and has one of Garfield's worst performances.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I actually thought he was considerably better in Hacksaw Ridge than in Silence, in part because he didn't have to try and fumble his way through a Portuguese accent.

Worst performance I've seen of his is definitely 99 Homes, which is a shame because outside of that it's a pretty good movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
99 Homes was a hell of a lot better than I thought it was going to be based on a synopsis.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I felt the exact same way watching it. Outside of some of the pretty wild battle scenes, the film is risible and has one of Garfield's worst performances.

I went in expecting Vince Vaughn to ruin the movie, but then it turned out that there was no movie to ruin and Vaughn was actually making some scenes mildly entertaining in spite of Gibson's incredibly by-the-numbers filmmaking.

I'd compare Hacksaw Ridge to Full Metal Jacket, only if FMJ was made by a boring washed-up director instead of Kubrick.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

99 Homes was a hell of a lot better than I thought it was going to be based on a synopsis.

Michael Shannon is of course great (love how he works that e-cig as a prop) and the eviction scenes are really well done but Garfield is so miscast as a blue collar construction worker.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Basebf555 posted:

It's like every year there has to be at least one legitimately bad movie nominated for Best Picture. Usually they're correctly ignored, like Hacksaw Ridge. Sometimes they win, like Crash.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Michael Shannon is of course great (love how he works that e-cig as a prop) and the eviction scenes are really well done but Garfield is so miscast as a blue collar construction worker.

The instant you see that little twerp in paint stained jeans you think it's a joke.

Basebf555 posted:

I went in expecting Vince Vaughn to ruin the movie, but then it turned out that there was no movie to ruin and Vaughn was actually making some scenes mildly entertaining in spite of Gibson's incredibly by-the-numbers filmmaking.

Well said. It's hilarious how now the last thing in the world I want to see is a Mel Gibson or Clint Eastwood directed film.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Outside of some of the pretty wild battle scenes

These were great, though.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'm starting to feel like the only one who actually liked Hacksaw Ridge. Only part that I really thought was bad was the very end with the archive footage of the actual Desmond Doss, that was pretty lame.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

I haven't watched it yet but I love Mel Gibson as a director so I'll watch it before it leaves HBO.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

I haven't watched it yet but I love Mel Gibson as a director so I'll watch it before it leaves HBO.

I wouldn't be too surprised if it gets reevaluated a la Apocalypto

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014

Cool a good choise

So I was giving Bosh a chance and I'm impressed. Can't belive I was waiting so long... Maybee because the show name reminds me at an Tool -factory haha

I like the slowness of the show no shaking action sence but on the other side well done violation sence inside.
It's one of this rare series like a good band you will every know this song is from them because the drum sound or guitar sound is uniqe.

I realy liked it and can't wait for the next season. The backround story about his mother gliming in the backround is extrem nice and good decent placed. I love to see whats coming more in the next season (they a writing on a 4th season)

XenJ fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 24, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Sir Kodiak posted:

These were great, though.

They were indeed.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I remember reading that HBO series will start dropping off Prime shortly. Is there an actual date? I Googled it and only saw "fall" on a few sites. I decided to put the suggestions all of you gave me for series similar to Eastbound and Down on the back burner so I could watch The Wire before it leaves. I just finished the first season and want to make sure I can pace myself to finish it before it's gone.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Prime has an HBO add-on so in the worst case scenario you can burn your 7-day free trial if they cut off your supply before you finish something.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

The battle scenes in Hacksaw Ridge were like if you took the already borderline macabre black comedy of the opening of Saving Private Ryan and exaggerated it to Sam Raimi splatstick levels. It was very bizarre to have that in the middle of what was otherwise an unremarkable movie that felt like it was trying to sell you on a specific worldview that the director seemed to either not understand or agree with.

Also I know it comes with the territory for American films on the Pacific Theater of the war but it felt really off to portray the Japanese the way they were portrayed in what was ostensibly a film about a compassionate pacifist.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

precision posted:

Prime has an HBO add-on so in the worst case scenario you can burn your 7-day free trial if they cut off your supply before you finish something.

OK, thanks!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Season 2 of Mr Robot is up on prime now. Not sure when they added it, but I'm pretty sure it was within the last week.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Season 2 of Mr Robot is up on prime now. Not sure when they added it, but I'm pretty sure it was within the last week.

Do they make good on the twists introduced at the end of season 1? I was enjoying the show until it went full on Fight Club, complete with a scene where the protagonist beats himself up because he's having a fight with his split personality. Jesus that was bad.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I wouldn't be too surprised if it gets reevaluated a la Apocalypto

Has Aplocalypto been accepted for the cool movie it is now? I did not know that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Has Aplocalypto been accepted for the cool movie it is now? I did not know that.

Maybe not widely, but I've been seeing more people come forward and admit that it's dope.