Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
galenanorth
May 19, 2016

The way that Democrats keep talking about helping out small businesses every election, you'd think that they were the pro-business party and the Republicans were blocking their agenda. Supposing these pro-business policies were good, why haven't the Democrats been able to implement all of them and then move on to helping everybody else? I think probably just start from having the words "small business" in their platform every four years while coming up with the "message" and then go backward from there.

Machiavelli posted:

Severities should be dealt out all at once, so that their suddenness may give less offense; benefits ought to be handed ought drop by drop, so that they may be relished the more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

No they wouldn't, you put language in the bill that the single payer law will only go into effect subject to public approval of a ballot initiative (Prop WXYZ) that exempts its funding sources from Prop 98 or whatever that dumb school funding one is.

Now it's on the voters, if the Democrats truly believe the voters won't agree then it'll get voted down no worries, then they can say "we tried to give you single payer but you didn't want it."
(Of course, Big Pharma and insurance companies are actually afraid that the ballot initiative would pass so of course they bribe legislators never to put that up to a public vote)

If a democratic supermajority in a solid blue state with an economy that dwarfs that of most countries in the world refuses to implement UHC, I think it's time to give up on the democratic party.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

tekz posted:

If a democratic supermajority in a solid blue state with an economy that dwarfs that of most countries in the world refuses to implement UHC, I think it's time to give up on the democratic party.

no no, you just didn't vote in the right kind of democrats!

which kind are the right kind? just vote for the lesser evil!!

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

tekz posted:

Way ahead of you comrade! 🌹

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe

galenanorth posted:

The way that Democrats keep talking about helping out small businesses every election, you'd think that they were the pro-business party and the Republicans were blocking their agenda. Supposing these pro-business policies were good, why haven't the Democrats been able to implement all of them and then move on to helping everybody else? I think probably just start from having the words "small business" in their platform every four years while coming up with the "message" and then go backward from there.

Because of loving large businesses and lobbyists and some of the base.

Small Business being helped and made stronger in America is bad for big business.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Whenever I hear politicians talking about helping businesses small, big, or "American" my shoulders sag. I don't give a poo poo about helping business what are you going to do for workers, you know the people whose interests are opposed to that of business interests.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
what the gently caress is a "worker"

all I ever hear about are ~*~ job creators ~*~

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Did the plan drop yet, I can't find it

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Mark my words, that Scaramucci tweet will prove prophetic. The GOP is in prime territory to triangulate - if they got rid of their hatred of women and LGBT people message (obviously in word, not deed) they'd be able to win the majority of the "fiscally conservative, socially liberal" useful idiots out there.

The only reason to vote D is the lip service they pay on social issues - what if the GOP took that from them?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Some good news out of this.

quote:

But there are early signs of division between leadership and progressives. Our Revolution, an outside group linked to Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), is teaming up with more than a dozen other groups to urge support for the "People's Platform" on Tuesday.

https://summerforprogress.com/platform

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
This tax cut/investment poo poo is so loving tone deaf lol

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe

Axetrain posted:

Whenever I hear politicians talking about helping businesses small, big, or "American" my shoulders sag. I don't give a poo poo about helping business what are you going to do for workers, you know the people whose interests are opposed to that of business interests.

Politicians will start caring about workers and not caring about business when workers start giving them money and start voting en bloc in ways that effect elections outcomes.

They don't.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

single payer is good and is absolutely a winning message against establishment democrats, who have no message

I worry that if running against Republicans becomes "healthcare" vs. "jobs", jobs is gonna win. In which case the primary winning strategy boils down to being better on jobs than the Republicans, in which case single payer is cool and good but shouldn't be the focus.

e: this is, if anything, a concern about tunnel vision

"Jobs" is a dead-end right now, though, because the unemployment rate is really low, so much so that it can't really get much lower. The problem is wages, benefits (such as healthcare), and job security. It's not that people don't have jobs, it's that the jobs they have aren't sufficient to lift them out of poverty.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Main Paineframe posted:

"Jobs" is a dead-end right now, though, because the unemployment rate is really low, so much so that it can't really get much lower. The problem is wages, benefits (such as healthcare), and job security. It's not that people don't have jobs, it's that the jobs they have aren't sufficient to lift them out of poverty.

Sure, that the end of the day, corporations are sitting on so much cash and wages are so flat... gently caress

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

This tax cut/investment poo poo is so loving tone deaf lol

I honestly thought it was bullshit made up by lefty twitter.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon posted:

Politicians will start caring about workers and not caring about business when workers start giving them money and start voting en bloc in ways that effect elections outcomes.

huh that's weird coulda sworn some guy raised a bunch of money and almost defeated the dnc machine with small donations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Groovelord Neato posted:

huh that's weird coulda sworn some guy raised a bunch of money and almost defeated the dnc machine with small donations.

But corporations can donate money year long and offer you sweet gigs, the plebs only give you some change for the campaign season.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Our Revolution hasn't done anything of note in my state since like March. Them snarky tweets though.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

D.N. Nation posted:

Our Revolution hasn't done anything of note in my state since like March. Them snarky tweets though.

as opposed to the dems who haven't done anything of note since november 8th :D

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

look, the democratic party is a private institution that doesn't have to abide by democratic ideals, deal with it

do I need to remind you that we live in a republic and not a democracy? bend the knee, bernailure

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/mattmfm/status/889565749228032005

This pleases me immensely.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

here comes the purge

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Condiv posted:

here comes the purge

Whee! I get to break out my sweet Masquerade getup and spiked baseball bat. I put rhinestones on both for just such an occasion.

Also doesn't medicare for all save the average American thousands of dollars a year through not having to pay outlandish insurance costs anymore. Albeit at a very small (in comparison) rise in taxes. I'm sure I'd rather pay the $400 a year for comprehensive medical care as opposed to $5000 a year (sans deductibles) for Maybe! Sounds like vasts savings to me.

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe
Medicare buy in can still be offered as a policy and not be a single payer solution. It's probably best that way too.

Allow Medicare to cover basics and private entities offer more complex and complete coverage as is already done.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

under all of sanders's plans only the top 4 percent of earners would end up paying more than they do under the current system.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

here comes the purge

Lol these are democrats challenging incumbent republicans you goober.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

JeffersonClay posted:

Lol these are democrats challenging incumbent republicans you goober.

good dems can't purge republicans? :mrgw:

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Groovelord Neato posted:

under all of sanders's plans only the top 4 percent of earners would end up paying more than they do under the current system.

thats what we in the business like to call a good start

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Why the gently caress would you make the Y-axis reverse chronological like that. Jesus.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Kobayashi posted:

Why the gently caress would you make the Y-axis reverse chronological like that. Jesus.

Dems are so loving stupid they can't even make their dumb graphs right.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!
Ah I see WJ has switched from concern trolling that single payer is too expensive to consider to concern trolling that it's not good enough anyway.

I'm staying to agree with MLK that moderates are the worst, most contemptible people. Because they know what's right, but because they're personally comfortable they'll spend all their time coming up with dishonest reasons not to do it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

uhc is too expensive *iraq war is gonna end up costing 7 trillion dollars*

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

VitalSigns posted:

Ah I see WJ has switched from concern trolling that single payer is too expensive to consider to concern trolling that it's not good enough anyway.

:thunk: that's an interesting reading of my posts

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Polygynous posted:

what the gently caress is a "worker"

all I ever hear about are ~*~ job creators ~*~

Whenever a politician says he wants to save jobs it's code for wanting to save profits

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

:thunk: that's an interesting reading of my posts

You do that poo poo constantly. You posted the same way about Bernie during :siren:the primary:siren:

E: fishmech too. It was his signature move:

"Bernie is a hack who doesn't know how the sausage is made.

Also, he isn't a Marxist-Leninist so it's not even about who is the real candidate of the Left."

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 25, 2017

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
UHC is a basic part of any semi-developed nation's infrastructure on the same level as a working sewage system, or an electrical grid.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Kingfish posted:

You do that poo poo constantly. You posted the same way about Bernie during :siren:the primary:siren:

I don't recall saying Bernie was too expensive

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

You like to attack the American Left from both flanks.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Iron sharpens iron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

The Kingfish posted:

You like to attack the American Left from both flanks.

He's permanently brain-damaged from Abuela's historic and humiliating loss

• Locked thread